Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Ben & Mark Currie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ben & Mark Currie
    Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 9:28pm
How unlucky can he been, to have adopted a horse with so many substance addictions….
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 9:02pm
to the victor
Plastic letters View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plastic letters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 7:54pm
What will Bernadette do, she was gushing when she interviewed him post race last weekLOL
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 7:11pm
Poor Ben. No more comments necessary 
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 5:54pm
I just don't understand why I get treated like that," Ben said.

Taking the P.  😂😂😂
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 9:49am
I wonder if they'll engage the wonderful Jim Murdoch KC as their lawyer, as he represented them last time, you know the Lawyer that trains at Deagon, the Lawyer that also holds a No 1 trainers licence but doesn't fir any of the criteria to hold such a licence? small team, only trained a bloody handful of winners over several years, not his full time occupation, blah blah could go on, Peter Profit thinks the sun shines out of his bum, but then again Pete/Archie thinks Ben is such a wonderful guy so sadly persecuted also, what a bloody QLD tragedy it all is, the laughing stock of AUS racing since Gough was PM......

When the stewards try to do a good job, they either balls it up, the useless Grace Disgrace ball's it up or QCAT balls it up, what odds this will get booted into touch as well....
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 9:40am

MARK & BEN CURRIE FOUND GUILTY AFTER POSITIVE SWAB TO COCAINE - CLAIM HORSE MUST HAVE BEEN TAMPERED WITH

TOOWOOMBA trainer Mark Currie and his son Ben have been found guilty by Queensland Racing Integrity Commission (QRIC) stewards of being in charge of a racehorse with a prohibited substance in its system.

LAURA COCKS & TOBI LOFTUS report for ABC SOUTHERN QUEENSLAND that it comes after the Currie’s Eagle Farm feature winner, End Assembly, returned a positive post-race sample for cocaine during December 2022.

ner Mark Currie was not physically present at the race and had left his son and foreman Ben Currie in charge of the horse.

They both pleaded not guilty at the QRIC inquiry and strenuously denied giving the horse cocaine.

"The last time I touched the horse it was clean," Ben Currie told the Commission's stewards.

"Why would anyone in their right mind do that?"

The Curries instead suggested the horse had been tampered with after the race.

The gelding had given a clean blood sample an hour before the race at 3:30pm, but its post-race sample, collected at 5pm, tested positive for cocaine and its metabolites.

"I brought him in clean," Mark Currie told the inquiry.

Ben had argued that it must have originated while the horse was "not fully in his care" during the 90-minute window.

The Curries told stewards that 20 to 30 people had been in contact with the horse after its race-win and that the positive sample could reflect cocaine being a "common recreational substance".

"It's pretty common practice to give the horse a pat and take a photo with the horse," Ben said.

He also questioned why the positive sample could not be tested to show the concentration of cocaine present.

QRIC's Racing Science Centre director Dr Shawn Stanley told the inquiry that the laboratory was only able to test for the presence of cocaine, not the amount.

"There is no quantitative method for testing cocaine in equine urine," he said.

He also told the inquiry that the Racing Science Centre tested about 15,000 samples a year, but there had only been two occasions in the past ten years where thoroughbred samples had tested positive for cocaine.

Senior steward Paul Zimmerman put to Ben Currie during the inquiry that both of those positive samples, from 2018 and 2019, were from horses he trained.

But Ben argued that his history, which he had denied in the past, was not relevant, given the inquiry was focused on his father.

He also told the inquiry he was not present at the racetrack on both historical occasions that positive samples were taken.

"It troubles me that two individual stewards have brought up my history," Ben said.

Mr Zimmerman replied that their "testing would show it's not a substance readily detected in horses".

Ben also told the inquiry the process was procedurally unfair and said he thought he was coming in to give evidence about his father.

He said he had been blindsided by the charge brought against him.

"I just don't understand why I get treated like that," Ben said.

"[This will have] a massive long-term effect for what I do personally."

The steward's inquiry adjourned on Thursday afternoon to consider penalties. The Currie’s told the inquiry they would appeal against the outcome.

Edited by Gay3 - 17 Mar 2023 at 9:41am
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
theshu25 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theshu25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 12:01am
Hope they both finally get life  bans.
theshu
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 8:04pm
Ben found guilty 
Not sure of full story 
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 9:41am
Just a bit of raceday cocaine. Nothing to worry about. 
to the victor
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 10:07am
This is the greatest Father son combo since God and Jesus, stip bashing them you lot, all this innuendo is doing Ben's head in, it's the water up Toowoomba way, it's magic....if you get my drift.......just get on, when they shorten it's an early Christmas........ye haa!
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 9:40am
When’s their last positive getting publicly released? 
to the victor
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 5:17pm
Great to young Ben back in his fathers stable. Last 15 starters 9 wins, 2 seconds, 2 thirds, 1 fourth and 1 failed to finish. Winning SR around 59%. Must be good training techniques Big smile
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 2:37pm
Your wish is my command Wink Bookmark letsgohorseracing, lots of juicy stuff there.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE SWAB CASE INVOLVING CHRIS MUNCE?

THE recent inquiry which saw trainer Mark Currie dealt with less than a month after prohibited substances were detected in a horse taken to the Toowoomba trials has raised interesting questions from some stakeholders.

They want to know what has happened to the case involving high profile Brisbane trainer Chris Munce which saw multiple charges laid over horse treatment dating back two years now.

QRIC stewards subsequently issued additional charges against Munce and his stablehand son (at the time) Corey. When details of these charges were released to the Media (specifically News Ltd), it angered the former Melbourne Cup winning jockey.

It prompted Munce to circulate a letter to his owners stating: “I am very disappointed that stewards have taken this action two years after the alleged events. I am confident that I have no case to answer.

“I am equally disappointed that the Queensland Racing Integrity Commission has seen fit to conduct this matter in the media without affording me an opportunity to reply,” Munce wrote.  

“I have instructed my legal representatives to take whatever action is necessary to address the harm their actions have caused my staff and me.

“You may be assured that the stable will not be distracted from continuing to provide the highest levels of care and training of your horse.”

Munce and his son were given until early August to provide written submissions to additional charges laid alleging two counts of administering an alkalinising agent to horses on race day and his son of being party to that.

The multiple charges faced by Chris and Corey Munce date back to 2020 when QRIC seized CCTV footage after an inspection of the trainer’s Eagle Farm stables.

It resulted in Munce initially being suspended for three months on a treatment charge involving the mare Lady Brahmos, with Munce’s ban subsequently reduced to a $5,000 fine on internal review.

At a previous hearing, racing’s No 1 lawyer in Queensland, Jim Murdoch, told current Acting Chief Steward Daniel Aurisch that much of the CCTV footage was ambiguous or inconclusive.

Munce, who enjoyed a strike rate of almost 13 per cent last season, has had one winner in the new season (Primed for Victory in a Gatton Maiden) from 36 starters (but plenty of placings).

QRIC have lost so many battles and been embarrassed too many times by Murdoch to rush into any case involving him. That is no doubt the reason for the time it has taken for this matter to be finalised. It will also be interesting to see how the new leading legal eagle for the stewards fares in her first major battle with a one-time Racing Queensland ally.

If the matter involving Munce father and son winds up before QCAT before it is replaced (sooner rather than later) as a Racing Appeals Body, anything could happen.

Who can forget the argument put to QCAT that a ‘harp’ could be regarded as a musical instrument rather than an electrical device illegally used on horses?

If we follow that pattern what’s to say that CCTV footage of alleged illegal treatment of horses wasn’t mistaken for an episode of Mr Ed?      
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 1:53pm
Protected species , makes a mockery of Qld racing , trials Are run under Raceday rules Big smile btw how's Munce positives going ? or have I missed something .
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 9:30am
Only in Qld. How many rule breaches do these two have between them?  Would love to see the list LOL
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 3:31pm
Yet another slap on the wrist despite reoffending, which no doubt will be appealed Angry

Fined

Toowoomba trainer Mark Currie has been fined $3000 after presenting a horse at the trials with two banned substances in its system.

Stewards found Where's Tekay Now to have both Furosemide and Meloxicam in its system on August 2 after conducting blood tests at the Toowoomba trials.

Meloxicam is a commonly used anti-inflammatory, however a horse cannot be presented at the trials or races with it in its system.

Currie was hit with two separate charges as a result of $3000 and $1000, of which $1000 was suspended for 12 months.

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 6:50pm

Controversial trainer Ben Currie given chance to make fresh start in racing industry

The Ben Currie saga has captivated Australian racing for years but News Corp can exclusively reveal the controversial Queensland trainer can now return to the industry.“I’m just happy to be able to get back to work.”

Those 11 words signalled a new chapter in an extraordinary and colourful saga in Australian racing, with controversial Queensland trainer Ben Currie to be reintegrated back into the industry.

News Corp can exclusively reveal that Currie, once Queensland’s most prolific trainer, has been given the green light to return to the industry he once dominated in a decision made by consent with the Queensland Racing Integrity Commission after a conference between the parties.

Currie’s world crashed following a stable raid on Weetwood Handicap day in Toowoomba in 2018 and he was given a two-year ban for matters related to a “boost paste” being administered to a horse under his watch and administering “shockwave therapy” to horses within seven clear days of racing.

His ban ended last May, the same month he was found not guilty of fraud in court, but until now his attempts to be relicensed have been knocked back.

However, News Corp has learned integrity officials have agreed to Currie returning to the industry, initially granted a stablehand license for six months.

He will work with his dad Mark Currie, at the family’s Toowoomba stables, and one of the conditions of the license is CCTV cameras must be installed at the stables and the recording from those cameras kept for at least six months.

Under the agreement with integrity officials, after six months Currie will then be allowed to apply for licensing as a stable foreman.

After nine months as foreman, he can apply for a trainers’ license.

Effectively, it means Currie could be training again by May 2023 and in time for some of next year’s Queensland winter carnival. Currie was tight-lipped when contacted by News Corp but indicated he was keen to get back on the tools immediately and start work with his dad.

Currie has been living on the Sunshine Coast with his partner but will return to live in Toowoomba in the coming days.

“I’m just happy to be able to get back to work,” Currie told News Corp.

Currie’s previous bids to return to racing has been knocked back when QRIC declared him “not a fit and proper person” and it was a finding he had been appealing.

However, the major new developments put an end to any further action from either side in the long-running saga.

Last September, Currie broke his years-long public silence for a warts and all interview with News Corp as he started his bid to return to the racing industry.

He insisted he wasn’t a cheat and said he felt his biggest blunder throughout the saga was how he conducted himself, particularly on social media.

Currie had regularly poked the bear on Twitter and even at one stage referred to himself as The Gingerbread Man (ie. they can’t catch him) before deleting the post.

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 3:55pm
Should get extra time for wasting coke on a horse
Time is a flat circle
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 3:50pm
Ben Dorries

The case of banned Queensland trainer Ben Currie has taken another twist with the Queensland Racing Integrity Commission launching an appeal against some recent rulings which had reduced some of the trainer's penalties.

Earlier this month, Racenet wrote how Currie had a win at the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal, partly because he blamed disgraced Victorian trainer Robert Smerdon for one of the prohibited substance charges he faced.

But now QRIC is appealing the QCAT decisions that reduced some of Currie's penalties.

"QCAT delivered its penalty judgements on 2 July 2020 on three prohibited substance penalties," a QRIC statement said.

"QRIC Stewards found Mr Currie guilty after he presented three horses, Shakira, Dreamscope and Eight Over to race at Toowoomba in 2018 2019. 

"The Commission has appealed the QCAT decision relating to Mr Currie bringing Shakira to race with testosterone in its system in January 2018, which the Tribunal reduced to no penalty.

"It has also appealed the penalty decision relating to Mr Currie bringing Dreamscope to race with Cocaine and Benzolecgonine in its system in September 2018. The penalty for this conviction was reduced from six months disqualification to a $5000 fine."

The hearing will be held at the QCAT Appeals Trubunal on a date to be fixed.

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 2:21pm

Not sure where to put this , so since it relates to the discussion I chose here.
Mods move if you think of somewhere better.

Deserves its' own thread too acacia - thanks Thumbs Up

Edited by Gay3 - 09 Jul 2019 at 2:27pm
animals before people.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 3:35pm
Just watched Amanaat @ Doomben. Now trained by Bens dad, same colours (almost), and shocking ride. Hope the stewards have a chat to the apprentice who rode it, and ask why he switched back to the inside straightening instead of coming down the better running. Maybe also give him an energy bar as he looked a bit fatigued on it in the straight.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 6:33pm
good
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 6:32pm
Mark Currie, the father of banned trainer Ben, has also been barred from having runners in NSW after Racing NSW stewards issued a show cause notice.
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 3:13pm
great news this grub will get what he deserves - wonder if Murdoch will still represent him now. 
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 3:03pm

Two more arrests in relation to Ben Currie police investigation

Queensland Police have arrested and charged another two men with aggravated fraud in connection with a suspected horse racing doping network.

Disgraced trainer Ben Currie was on Tuesday arrested and charged with aggravated fraud, facing allegations he sourced performance enhancing substances for his horses and dishonestly claimed the winnings.

Police will allege he “engaged in systematic fraudulent behaviour” between November, 2016 and March 2019.

Now police have arrested and charged a further two men with fraud following a 14-month long investigation by officers from the Queensland Racing Crime Squad.

"The charges are the result of Operation Quebec Creed, an investigation into suspected doping practices by a network of people involved in the thoroughbred racing industry," a police statement said.

"A 49-year-old man from Forestdale has been arrested and charged with one count of aggravated fraud, and bailed to appear at Brisbane Magistrates Court on July 16, 2019.

"A 41-year-old male from Lockyer Waters, has also been arrested with one count of aggravated fraud and bailed to appear at Gatton Magistrates Court on July 15, 2019.

"It is alleged that both men enabled and facilitated the administration of unregistered horse supplements by a third party which resulted in dishonestly obtaining a financial benefit through thoroughbred race winnings.

"These charges follow yesterday’s arrest of a 28-year-old Toowoomba man."

It is believed the two men arrested are not licensed horse racing participants.

Currie is currently banned from training for 7-1/2 years for offences ranging from alleged use of electrical devices, race day treatments and a number of swab irregularities, including the discovery of cocaine in two of his horses.

http://www.racenet.com.au/news/two-more-arrests-in-relation-to-ben-currie-police-investigation-20190626

horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 2:59pm
a 41yold man and a 49yold man
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 2:53pm
according to the Cour Mail another two arrests. Cannot read the full story
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
breeding_above_all View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breeding_above_all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 11:51pm
Love this, scumbag was on twitter throwing stone no less than 2 weeks ago.. absolutely it’s fraud by deception. Robbed many punters through cheating and profiting from it.. disgrace
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:25pm
Exactly right Softy.

Hope you enjoy your porridge Benny Boy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>