Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Benjamin Smith

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Benjamin Smith
    Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 7:40pm
I've done a search to no avail. Does anyone know if Benjamin Smith the trainer is related to old time, disqualified trainer Darren Smith?
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:04pm
I sold one to him when he 1st got his licence & didn't get the impression that training was in his genes but it was only a feeling so not a great deal of help Embarrassed
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:11pm
I asked this question recently and received NO response.

Reading this, says the probability of him being a brother to DARREN is zilch.

quote  (click and read all)

Trainer Ben Smith eyes Breeders Classic with In His Time; Royal ...

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/.../trainer-ben-smith.../662f33d7847ed8369671aed4...
Feb 2, 2017 - EVERY trainer needs to make sacrifices in the early days but no one should have to go an entire winter without hot water. That's exactly what Newcastle trainer Ben Smith did when he was trying to make his way in the ruthless racing caper some six years ago. Little more than one year after taking out his ...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:14pm
If he is,it shouldn't worry you because just about every successful trainer is recognised as a CHEAT and crook,according to horse forums.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:27pm
I just had a feeling he took over from Darren when DQ occurred. He did take over the training of Testarhythm from Darren so I am thinking there is some sort of relationship-perhaps son.
DiEM25 for the world.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:46pm
I have ask a few locals and they say he isnt DS,s brother.    However, to confuse matters, he does have a brother called Darren Confused  So I am still unsure.  DS isnt old enough to be this bloke,s father.  The age is more in line with a brother. 
DS has his place on the market but they say he is asking too much, as its in the Williamtown contamination zone.  Apparently Weir uses it for some of NSW horses at present .
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:53pm
  Newcastle based Benjamin Smith is a fairly newcomer to the training ranks. Scone born and raised he is a son of Ian ‘Ginger’ Smith and a grandson of Graeme Smith; breeder and owner of some successful performers a few years ago. Graeme also stood the Sweet Moss stallion ‘Moscow’ at his Middlebrook Dairy Farm. ‘Moscow’ was successful in the Show Ring winning Champion Thoroughbred Stallion Ribbons regularly at Sydney’s RAS of NSW Royal Easter Show. I was actually the Judge on one occasion and Chief Steward on others.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:59pm
He may be a cousin or nephew?
DiEM25 for the world.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 9:03pm
The first article posted says his bother DANIEL is his foreman.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 9:13pm
I sincerely hope this young man is no relation, and I doubt it very much, not a great deal gets hidden in to days atmosphere.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 9:20pm
Benjamin Smith used to pretrain for Darren back when Darren trained.
to the victor
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

Would you say that's where the relationship ends linghi11?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 9:33pm
Darren Smith survives and has great reviews for his lodging at 

SMITHFIELDS,WILLIAMTOWN

linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

Would you say that's where the relationship ends linghi11?

Well Dynamic has just moved over there...
to the victor
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 9:49pm
Not related at all.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 10:00pm
Most horses run to their ratings time after time.     We have to allow for conditioning and " The Grand Finals " but LUCK in running accounts for most questionable runs.
I hope no one thought Osborne Bulls & Marble were "dead uns" when recent beaten favs.
Only ONE winner per race and we have to find the reasons the rest weren't first past the post.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 10:16pm
I was  just told by someone from Broadie that there is no relationship between Darren and Ben.
Ben,s brother is Daniel.   Opinion is that Ben is a top bloke and nothing like Darren, but he got some of DS,s horses because he did work for him at one stage, pre training.
He is a Scone boy,  with roots, as Red has posted.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by RED HUNTER RED HUNTER wrote:

Darren Smith survives and has great reviews for his lodging at 

SMITHFIELDS,WILLIAMTOWN

All show ponies and most of it done by DS,s wife and daughter, who is a showy herself.   No shortage of money either.
Its in the con zone so they best make what they can of it as people wont buy in there .
Rumur says DW might , if the price was right, but its only rumour . 

animals before people.
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 10:33pm
His last name is Smith, so is he related to Gai ?.Or Neddy. Or George, good rugby player.   
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 10:47pm
Very good rugby player was George, the other two I can't recall.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 11:20pm
Bet you can remember BILLY SMITH
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 11:20pm

You arnt that far gone in oldtimers , Carioca  !!!!Wink
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 11:58pm

Now there's two Red, Billy half back for sainters or WA smith of a Melbourne Cup, maybe Hihg Jinx, not sure really.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 12:00am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

You arnt that far gone in oldtimers , Carioca  !!!!Wink

Dunno about that AA, got one leg in the top paddock at times.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 1:39am
At times. Thumbs Up    Most of us here have a foot in the paddock,  at times,  judging by our/their posts.   Wink
Your memory would stun a bullock.   Clap
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 11:01am

Now there's two Red, Billy half back for sainters or WA smith of a Melbourne Cup, maybe Hihg Jinx, not sure really.

Rugby in WA is a dirty word ( I did know of the rugby player but BILLY the baby face is my man)

NRL...should be ERL...EASTERN RUGBY LEAGUE

less said about the "PRIVATE COLLEGE" Rugby......Talk to Twiggy Forrest.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 11:03am
BILLY SMITH

AHHH..SAINT KILDA,yes.....around the time of Darryl Baldock?
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 11:07am

BILLY SMITH

AHHH..SAINT KILDA,yes.....around the time of Darryl Baldock?

Nah Red Hunter lol, Billy Smith the mighty St George half back of years gone by.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 11:29am
Carioca,I thought of the rugby player then got caught up with the SAINT reference and the answer is

Ross G. Smith
Australian rules footballer
Ross Gibson Smith is a former Australian rules footballer who played in the Victorian Football League. Smith played with St Kilda as a courageous rover. He won the Brownlow Medal in 1967 and captained Victoria at the 1972 Perth Carnival. Wikipedia
Born8 September 1942 (age 75)
Height1.73 m
Weight75 kg

Those days of VFL on ABC SUNDAY replays..
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 11:34am
Getting back to DARREN SMITH

it appears that anyone training a horse,domiciled near NEWCASTLE, with the name SMITH is thought of as a relation to DARREN

It ain't pretty.....never forgot the day DARREN was due to get time,one of a few at least, and he trained about 5 winners at NEWCASTLE on a Sunday meet....enough to tide him over  for a long suspension
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>