Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Darley 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Darley 2018
    Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 10:47am
Fees announced overnight - there are good reductions across the roster. It seems as though Vin is keen to send a message by releasing pre-Easter Sales that they're open for business and keen to deal.

I'm also reassured that Albrecht, Kuroshio, Sidestep and Denman still have a place on the roster - sends a good message to those that support the stallions at the lower tier that they won't be jettisoned after two years (a la Benfica).

Albrecht $5,500
Astern $33,000
Belardo NZ$12,000
Brazen Beau $38,500
Complacent NZ$5,000
Contributer NZ$12,500
Dawn Approach $19,250
Denman $8,800
Epaulette $27,500
Exceed And Excel $82,500
Exosphere $22,000
Frosted $33,000
Hallowed Crown $16,500
Holler $11,000
Iffraaj NZ$25,000
NEW Impending $22,000
Kermadec $16,500
Kuroshio $5,500
Lonhro $55,000
Reset $13,750
NEW Ribchester $24,750
Sepoy $11,000
Shooting To Win $22,000
Sidestep $7,700
Street Boss $27,500
Telperion NZ$5,000
Teofilo $44,000
Territories $16,500
SteppenFox View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteppenFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 12:04pm
No Helmet? Must be staying in the UK where he is making his mark.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 6:42pm
Booked Treasury Notes into Impending before he won his last two Gp 1's.

Glad I did so as they'll be inundated with inquiries and might otherwise have missed out.
Mumtaz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 7:56pm
Re Robbo

"I'm also reassured that Albrecht, Kuroshio, Sidestep and Denman still have a place on the roster - sends a good message to those that support the stallions at the lower tier that they won't be jettisoned after two years (a la Benfica)". 
Sidestep has gone to Telemon Thoroughbreds in Qld.  The Fletchers have purchased the farm previously leased by Sun Stud.  I have a friend who has a very nice weanling filly by Sidestep so I wish them all the best.  I think he was ditched too soon, but then I don't have to make way for new commercial stallions they way Darley does.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 8:39pm
That lovely Juliet female line.  So You Think is finally showing some sire ability and this one is much more speed orientated but with that stout background only helps produce that said speed.  Hopefully like many speed horses he'll be above to get some middle distance runners also.
lulu View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Booked Treasury Notes into Impending before he won his last two Gp 1's.

Glad I did so as they'll be inundated with inquiries and might otherwise have missed out.

Gee you were keen if you booked him before last years Stradbroke :)
But I know what you mean. 
He was book full a week ago. So well done. 
Sometimes the early bird and all that.

I know of quite a few that were keen and got in.

It was a standby list from last Monday onwards I believe.
You're either Einstein or Frankenstein in this game.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 10:33pm
How many is a full book?
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 3:43pm
Generally speaking the Darley covers to the end of November are extremely disappointing.  Poor numbers almost across the board in Vic and not a whole lot better in NSW.

Suspect they're paying the price for a very regrettable lack of promotion/presence at prior yearling sales.  Only time will tell if their newly avowed aim to be more active pays dividends for them and breeders alike.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 4:53pm
Only 63 covers for Ribchester - Europe's best miler of 2017... what happened?
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 5:27pm
Impending had no trouble getting 186.  

Lonhro went up from 94 to 117 - they must of liked his results from the last few seasons.  Even to get a daughter for stud.

I don't mind the Shooting to Wins I've seen so far and he's still up over the 100.

They don't want Dawn Approach - last two seasons 61 and 34.

Denman surprising enough still serves decent numbers with 107 and 95.

Epaulette suffers with a few good ones overseas but did get 95 and 88.

Exceed and Excel went from 132 to 76.  But he's dual hemisphere and not getting any younger.

Despite a nice record and very interesting pedigree Territories only served 73 and 71.

Albrecht isn't wanted 35 and 18.  Pity he had some ability and his daughters would make a nice cross for all those Lonhro sons.  Or for that matter Commands daughter to him.  They must be showing nothing!

Astern served 170 and 139.

Exosphere served 83 and 130.

They don't think Hallowed Crown will make it with 60 and 45 the last two seasons it will be hard.

Kermadec has fallen to 83 and 54.

Ribchester 63 - maybe the Iffraaj didn't excite?

Brazen Beau got 131 and 92.  Enough first season runners to suggest he'll have similar this season.

Frosted had 103 and 80. 

Holler got 84 and 65 from the Manto line which has Written Tycoon and Better than Ready firing.  Numbers aren't there but could be a sleeper if he does get one in the first crop.

I'm wondering how Kuroshino got 133 in 2017 and 32 in 2018 - big difference.

Reset got 64 and 35 but isn't he one that can't serve big numbers?

Sepoy went up from 55 to 114 thanks to Alizee

Street Boss did alright with 110 and 82.  He never really caught on in Australia unlike his sire.

So I don't think they did too badly overall.

Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 2:06am
Thanks for that summary furious. I guess we’d have to take closer inspection of the mares (inside v outside) to judge what’s ‘not too bad’, or ‘borderline collapse’.

Perhaps there was some residual stink in the place after the staff turnover... the numbers for each of the imports would struggle to cover the return airfare.
Campaspe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Campaspe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 2:31pm
Re: Kuroshio, I believe they were offering free covers to breeders who sent a number of mares to other Darley stallions in 2017, hence the big numbers.  Presumably they stopped offering the free serve in 2018. I notice on the back of four or five early winners in the UK he's shuttled again this year.  He may well end up staying over there, like fellow son of Exceed and Excel Helmet. 
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 2:47pm
Wow we really do breed a lot of horses.
I think we have too many as is.
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Davo231 View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davo231 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:29am
Has anyone got, or seen frosted foals
Booked to him this year and would love to hear from anyone that has or has seen his foals
A little knowledge is dangerous.
Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

Only 63 covers for Ribchester - Europe's best miler of 2017... what happened?

Ifraag not fashionable.
Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:43am
A lot of Stallions, not a lot of good potential Stallions imo.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 2:05pm
How many of the above stallions would be there on the farm now, and how many shuttle ?  
animals before people.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 8:05pm
Will Darley start issuing all Brazen Beau foals with saucers?
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 10:31pm
Well I know one that would lap up a bucket of A2 lol, although he may get a reprieve if cut.
 Post Reply Post Reply