Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Deplorables

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 22>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 11:57am
Originally posted by BlackKnight BlackKnight wrote:

If you don’t think that Smith’s press conference was sincere then I feel very sorry for you. He’s stuffed up awfully. But there is a way back for him (and for Bancroft) - his vc can rot for all I care.

Totally agree with you BlackKight, it was brutal, I had to walk away.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

Still think he was involved, the walkie talkie incident is very damning imo.

It having a go at you but I reckon it’s a reflection of what you want it to represent.
To me he looked l8ke s bloke who was sitting there, stunnned by what he was seeing on the big screen, live

To me, it looked like he was “what the hell is going on out there” “look at the screen you idiots”
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 12:38pm
Kid at Newlands last Sunday offering Nathan Lyon a sheet of sandpaper for an autograph.

Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

Still think he was involved, the walkie talkie incident is very damning imo.

It having a go at you but I reckon it’s a reflection of what you want it to represent.
To me he looked l8ke s bloke who was sitting there, stunnned by what he was seeing on the big screen, live

To me, it looked like he was “what the hell is going on out there” “look at the screen you idiots”

Would you quit your job if someone else was doing something dodgy, it had nothing to do with you..? really, you'd just quit because of people pressure..? He knew what he was seeing, as soon as the camera went to him on the walkie talkie he flinched and tried to hide it or make it look like nothing was going on.

If I'm the coach and my team was up to no good without my knowledge and I catch them in the act on live television I wouldn't want to make it appear like I was involved. Who's idea was the sandpaper, you think Warner is smart enough to come up with that idea..? Smith is probably the dumbest captain Australia have ever had, he's there for his cricket skills only, he's as thick as two short planks on most anything else, involving himself in cheating just shows that.

It's interesting to see how the ball was returned to the bowler during this stuff, I was watching live on my phone in bed and the ball would go through to keeper or fieldsman and Bancroft was always the last man to handle the ball before the bowler, every ball in the over he was tossed the ball by various fielders often waving his arms to make sure it was sent to him, that says to me others may have known too. Most ball tampering incidents have come from the bowler doing it whilst walking back to their mark, these blokes knew that to tamper with it it had to come from someone other than the bowler, someone you wouldn't look twice at, the new bloke, the opening batsman, standing there in midwicket, only the SA media were well onto it, it was so strange to watch the camera guys following it through the hands to Bancroft and then zooming in when they saw good footage. There was also some evidence the ball had already been worked on several times before they were busted, bizarre again that the umpires didn't change the ball, I'd love to see the ball in question, I wonder what happened to it..? it should be kept as evidence and shown to the media imo.

I like the idea of red and yellow cards in cricket, certainly to help stamp out sledging, it would keep the mouthy aussies quite and let players get on with playing their natural game, instead of this disgraceful mental degredation culture the Australians are known for. Some of the stuff if you said it to a stranger on a bus you'd be howled down for by others, if we are to respect each other in day to day life, wipe out racism, discrimination and all the other nasty stuff people are capable of then why does it not apply to sport..?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 1:54pm
Whether or not he was involved, Lehmann failed on two fronts as a leader I think.

1. When he saw what was going on and sent Renshaw on to talk to Bancroft, he should have sent him on to replace him and get to the bottom of it and take charge of the situation and then take control of the train-wreck press conference after it. Smith and Bancroft shouldn't have owned up that way.

2. If Lehmann didn't know about the plan, why not? Smith, it is suggested wasn't totally onboard with Warner's plan, but didn't have what it took to stop it, nor did he have enough confidence in his coach to report it to him. 
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 2:13pm
What a load of troll warped fairytales being put forward on this thread. Says more about the authors than alleged and real perpetrators.
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 2:16pm
Who is Intern Pete and who are Dean and Darin’s from MATHS
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 2:19pm
Warner is a smug POS
The other two were dumb enough to go along with it
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 2:24pm
Must say I am starting to feel a bit sorry for Warner as well. Seems to me he is being thrown to the sharks. Both Smith & Bancroft seem to be getting a lot of sympathies - Warner not so. The SBW sledging by all & sundry for a long time now has been a disgrace really. His wife has copped heaps - what for - something she did during a night out many years ago. She would not be the only bird who has had a one nighter with SBW that's for sure - & there would be many that would want too but would not come up to SBJ's lofty standards. I mean if the SBW masks weren't about the biggest taunt you could give a bloke I'm not sure what is. He also suffers from being very, very good at his trade - cricket. Could this be one of the main reasons no one outside NSW has a good word to ever say about him. I mean seriously - he should be the first getting the sympathies for what he (& his family) have had to endure. You do get the distinct feeling that the PC crowd so revered of late have gone missing in action with the Warners. Strange really.
Refer ALP Election Promises
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 2:41pm
Totally agree one1

The outrage merchants forget to do the most important thing. Look in the mirror
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 2:52pm
If you had my face you'd refuse to look in the mirror.

reductio ad absurdum
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 3:11pm
I thought what one old ex player ( cant remember who ) said was pretty close to the mark.  The Aust team have been bullies for ages now, and people in the game are now having open slather to get back at them. 
animals before people.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Whether or not he was involved, Lehmann failed on two fronts as a leader I think.

1. When he saw what was going on and sent Renshaw on to talk to Bancroft, he should have sent him on to replace him and get to the bottom of it and take charge of the situation and then take control of the train-wreck press conference after it. Smith and Bancroft shouldn't have owned up that way.

2. If Lehmann didn't know about the plan, why not? Smith, it is suggested wasn't totally onboard with Warner's plan, but didn't have what it took to stop it, nor did he have enough confidence in his coach to report it to him. 
Thumbs Up
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 3:47pm
Hard to feel sorry for Smith and Warner who "earn" about $300,000 A MONTH, just from their CA and IPL contracts, regardless of whether they win a game! 

Bangers obviously a struggler trying to make ends meet on his $75,000 A MONTH CA contract.

That kind of rarefied air might tend to warp their judgement when it came to their true station in life - they are cheating lying cricketers and there is no place for them in the Australian team.

Penalties commensurate to salaries imposed, lessons learned, examples made, NO DISCOUNTS FOR TURNING ON THE WATER WORKS BOYS - OWN IT AND MOVE ON!

Won't happen again in a hurry!

As for Warner, the longer he takes to front the media, the more his reputation will be damaged.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 4:07pm
I have seen some revolting things on Twatter.
Telling Smith and Warner to hang themselves, or for Warner to shoot himself in the head.... horrendous.
This space has been intentionally left blank
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 5:00pm
Twitter is a sewer, wouldn't be looking at it if I was guilty of anything that caused public outrage.

Doesn't mean the penalties imposed are wrong.

As for contrition, no discounts for that. If they failed to show any emotion or regret, I'd give them life.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 6:57pm
As my mother told me when I was 5 years old, but maybe Steve and Cameron's mum didn't tell them- if Dave jumped off a cliff would you follow him?Big smile Think for yourself.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Must say I am starting to feel a bit sorry for Warner as well. Seems to me he is being thrown to the sharks. Both Smith & Bancroft seem to be getting a lot of sympathies - Warner not so. The SBW sledging by all & sundry for a long time now has been a disgrace really. His wife has copped heaps - what for - something she did during a night out many years ago. She would not be the only bird who has had a one nighter with SBW that's for sure - & there would be many that would want too but would not come up to SBJ's lofty standards. I mean if the SBW masks weren't about the biggest taunt you could give a bloke I'm not sure what is. He also suffers from being very, very good at his trade - cricket. Could this be one of the main reasons no one outside NSW has a good word to ever say about him. I mean seriously - he should be the first getting the sympathies for what he (& his family) have had to endure. You do get the distinct feeling that the PC crowd so revered of late have gone missing in action with the Warners. Strange really.

Warner, as one of the most aggressive sledgers the game has seen doesn’t get to determine where the line is drawn, I’m afraid. Some of the things it is alleged the Australians unloaded on Bairstow during the Ashes makes SBW masks look like a love in.

In any event, Warner is the picture postcard of the knuckle-headed, aggro little Aussie bogan. And he’s a cry baby. I’m surprised he’s lasted this long without snotting someone out on the field, to be honest. Thoroughly disliked, it would seem even now by his own teammates. He won’t be missed.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 7:01pm
That's what my Mum said too!

Today they just say "You have no right to bully and victimise my child if they choose not to comply with your white male privelege!"Wacko
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

That's what my Mum said too!

Today they just say "You have no right to bully and victimise my child if they choose not to comply with your white male privelege!"Wacko

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 7:26pm
Given History, I believe the penalties are a massive over reaction and shouldn't stand up to a legal challenge . ( If that action is possible )

These offenders are shattered and so many innocents are affected.

I feel for the wife of Warner who was the target of the worst possible actions by a bunch of South African grubs who have short memories.
Their captain once "threw a world cup final" and ball tampering has been part of the game.

Their low behaviour toward the wife and children of Warner is unforgivable .
   I'm sure this over reaction and this whole tour has damaged cricket forever.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 7:41pm
Appeals are available to them, i am not sure if they will take it up.

I dare say they will wait for emotion to die down.

reductio ad absurdum
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 7:43pm
Michael Vaughan seems to sum up the sentiment here:

Steve Smith I think is a good guy who made a huge mistake ... He needed punishing but I think this is too harsh ... Bancroft who I don’t know was led astray but deserved punishing but again too harshly IMO ... The other guy I really don’t care about ...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 7:43pm
Sutherland said in his presser that the penalty proposal was put to the three players. Bancroft when asked what he would do last night said that he would talk to his manager about the proposal. That sounds like an appeal or challenge is possible. 
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 7:47pm
macca, the danger of comparing penalties that have been handed out to South Africans, Indians, Pakistanis, etc, cricketers is, that you end up bringing yourself down to their ethical and cultural standards.

Being an elite "sportsman" in Australia, used to carry an implied connotation of scrupulously ethical behaviour, honesty, endeavor ... all encompassed in the word  "SPORTSMANSHIP" which was the measure (not winning at all cost) ... at least ON the field. 

If we are happy to let that go, and we want to let our cultural standardsslide to those of a third world country, just give them the standard ICC one match suspension and 100% of match fee fine ... I will never watch a game of cricket ever again in that case.

Don't forget, if you are a swimmer or an athlete, there is no ball to tamper with, and the preferred method of "gaining advantage" is drug use - get caught and it's TWO years standard, regardless of the crocodile tears!

Keep in mind, these millionaires - and they are easily the most well paid team sports people in the country - will not go broke from this, and they WILL have the opportunity to redeem themselves. 

Do the crime, do the time, show how upset and contrite you are, move on with the challenge of redeeming yourself.

Whilst I don't condone any of the crap that their friends and family are copping, it's a great disincentive for the next idiot who wants to consider obtaining an advantage by breaking the rules ... just a shame we don't hound our Victorian ALP State Premier, who actually stole tax payer funds, in the same way!Confused 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 7:51pm
Cultural standards, kiss off you sweetheart.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 7:58pm
These blokes got the same ICC penalties as those caught ball tampering before. 1 match suspension and part or all of their match payment for the game in question. In fact, I dont think Warner was penalised at all.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Cultural standards, kiss off you sweetheart.

We know you have no standards djebel, don't go broadcasting it!Embarrassed
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 8:05pm
Do the crime do the time.......WTF?

These guys have been given a sentence the equivalent of murder for shoplifting.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 8:09pm
Depends what standards you are happy to accept saintly.

... if you want to encourage lying and cheating and disrespecting the millions of people who support you and pay for your millionaire lifestyle, just give them a meaningless whack with a feather duster ... but expect another incident within the next 5 days as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 22>