Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2018 Aust & NZ Jumps Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 3:36pm
Terrible race.
Throw the form guide in the bin.
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 3:37pm
Don’t Be Shy - good girl
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

Don’t Be Shy - good girl

Could be the first mare to win this race since the great mare Pedro's Pride, Lord Hybrow.
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 5:03pm
Jumps racing does not belong in town on a Saturday.
This space has been intentionally left blank
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Don’t Be Shy - good girl

Could be the first mare to win this race since the great mare Pedro's Pride, Lord Hybrow.

PEDROS PRIDE in 1957 was well before my time Carioca.

But I think you’ll find that LAUGHING IN DUBAI in 2006 was the last mare to win the Australian Steeplechase.

Prior to that there was also VENITE in 1982.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 5:07pm
Of course not, nor doe's voting.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 5:08pm

Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Don’t Be Shy - good girl

PEDROS PRIDE in 1957 was well before my time Carioca.

But I think you’ll find that LAUGHING IN DUBAI in 2006 was the last mare to win the Australian Steeplechase.

Prior to that there was also VENITE in 1982.

Oh, glad I said "could"
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 11:35am
Five jumps races at the Bool today

I’m liking POLICE CAMP in the novice steeplechase. Not too many 4yo’s go over the bigger fences but I do like this horse

Also SOLAR COASTER in the 2nd of the maiden hurdles. Showed promise last season and should be improved at his 2nd hurdle start for this new season.

Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 12:39pm
I’ll be on Entirely Perfect (1 from 119) and Costano Mille (0 from 51) to both break through for Bryce today
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 3:07pm
Trifecta for the late great PENTIRE in the feature steeplechase at Murray Bridge today.

1.Abebe
2. Pentomatic
3. Pentelligensia

Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 3:12pm
I think it’s about time SA ditch the jumps.
Lack of interest from punters, limited horses (only one local in the opener) and there is no trainers whose sole business is the jumps.

The punters wouldn’t even notice if they went.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 1:38pm
If anyone wants to buy a nice little jumps horse, DUKE OF BONEO is in the Inglis sales this week
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:34am

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by horseshoe horseshoe wrote:

just arrived from NZ Monarch Chimes, will add to the jumps ranks

This gelding is back in NZ after a good Aust campaign. He just won the Hawkes Bay Hurdle at his first run back in NZ. Co-trainer mentioned in the post race interview that he might head back to Aust for the upcoming feature winter jumps races.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 12:29pm
I reckon entirely perfect can break through today. He loves the Casterton chase course
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

I reckon entirely perfect can break through today. He loves the Casterton chase course

Well he’s 50/1 fixed odds today Shawy. He not hopeless but maybe better off looking at him for a place.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 12:51pm
Yeah I’ll have a few dollars e/w
Bryce says he’s an old school jumper, will run all day.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 1:44am
Two dead horses in the past week, both from the same stable.

Springbok Flyer (Warrnambool) and About the Journey (Morphettville) have joined the growing number of horses killed by jumps racing.
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Prince of Penzance Prince of Penzance wrote:

Two dead horses in the past week, both from the same stable.

Springbok Flyer (Warrnambool) and About the Journey (Morphettville) have joined the growing number of horses killed by jumps racing.

Gawd, what's his tally now? 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 5:00pm
Sounds like Something to Share has been killed.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Prince of Penzance Prince of Penzance wrote:

Sounds like Something to Share has been killed.

Was going to ask what the toll was today ?

One horse fell and got his feet tangled in his reigns, Thankfully he did not look to panic. Hopefully all ended well. 
reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 9:26pm
Confusion reigns.  
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 9:27pm
I saw poor old Strike the Stars (won over 600k) going around on Geelong synthetic last week, horribly out of form, broke down badly. Then Mujadale races today after crashing so badly last start, lame again today. Stablemate gets put down. It’s just greed. Even my dad (once a jumps supporter and mad racing fan) said he can’t watch jumps any more, thinks it’s cruel. I think it’s past it’s use by date.
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 9:44pm
Third death in as many meets.

Not good.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Confusion reigns.  

Yes wrong rein Embarrassed
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 12:11am
Fatal fall as three come down in bad tumble in Bendigo steeplechase

JUMPS racing is under renewed fire after a fatal fall in the Mosstrooper Steeplechase at Bendigo.

Something To Share, a 10-year-old gelding, was euthanised after coming to grief at the second last obstacle.

King Kamada, stablemate of the winner Wells, was brought to ground by the stricken Something To Share in a horrific finish to the feature event

The pair was among seven horses to fall at Bendigo on a program featuring six jumps races.

Something To Share’s death capped a terrible day for Stawell trainer Dane Smith, whose stable favourite Mujadale was floated from the course after suffering a tendon injury while making his steeplechase debut.

Braidon Small, who rode Something To Share, was examined by doctors and was stood down from riding.

King Kamada’s jockey Lee Horner was heavily concussed.

The first two races on the card were marred by five falls.

The five casualties — Valhalla Princess, Steel Caps, Sir Ritchie, Diamond Geyser and Beyond Thankful — all escaped serious injury.

But jockey Ross O’Sullivan suffered a suspected right collarbone fracture after falling from Diamond Geyser.

The spate of falls prompted claims Racing Victoria had jeopardised horse safety because of track conditions.

Trainer Bryce Stanaway said the track was too firm, claiming he had approached steward Rob Montgomerie two weeks ago to have the meeting shifted.

He said RV was accountable for the casualties.

“I actually put the full blame today of any horse that falls on RVL,” he said.

“They’re slipping on top of hard ground. It’s not the horses’ fault.

We’ve got good horsemen here today, there’s good jockeys, very good trainers and good horses and this shouldn’t be happening.

“RVL, I told them two weeks ago that this meeting shouldn’t be held here.

“I spoke to Rob Montgomerie two weeks ago after a late scratching of a horse here because I reckon the track was too firm and said to him ‘This track will be unsuitable for jumpers’ and asked if they could shift the meeting somewhere else if they didn’t get rain.

“They’re more interested in just holding the meeting here.”

The track was rated a soft 5 at the start of meeting, a rating disputed by Stanaway.

Stewards upgraded the track to a good 4 after race three, prompting Stanaway to scratch Joliet Jake and King Joffer.

Steward James Hitchcock said the track conditions met the safety criteria for jumps racing.

Chasing superstars Wells and Sea King quinellaed the $100,000 Mosstrooper ahead of a return bout in next month’s Grand National Steeplechase at Ballarat.

John Allen and Darren Weir combined to land the $100,000 Brendan Drechsler Hurdle (3600m) with Bit Of A Lad. The pair also featured in Killarney Kid’s hurdle maiden victory.

Herald Sun
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 12:19am
For some reason, I thought they had to run jumps meetings on a Soft 5 or worse.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 9:24pm
One of jumps racing's most decorated riders, Steven Pateman, has called on Racing Victoria to implement a policy that would see jumps racing conducted on softer tracks than flat racing in the wake of multiple falls at the Bendigo meeting on Sunday.

Pateman rode a winner (Sir Lopez) and suffered a heavy fall (Sir Ritchie) on a card featuring six jumps races and he said on Monday that the track was not prepared specifically for jumps racing despite the meeting beginning on a surface rated a Soft 5.

"The sport has been so on the front foot for a long time now and I think this is the first time, I believe, that the track wasn't prepared properly," Pateman said.

"It was too hard. I felt that the first couple of races, there was really cold air, then the winter sun came out and it got a little bit warm and it went from satisfactory to too firm pretty quickly.

"The whole region is in drought and Bendigo has made a really good meeting out of nothing but it was too firm. It's as simple as that."

Track managers throughout Victoria are required to prepare tracks at the start of a meeting no firmer than a Good 4 to allow the track to firm up during the day to a Good 3. But Pateman said the aim for jumps racing should be to begin well into the slow range.

"If you are going to have a jumps day, prepare a jumps track," he said.

"They were getting their toe into it yesterday - just - the ground is dry so when a horse falls instead of sliding, the ground grabs them.

"Even if you go to Oakbank in March, they have give in the ground and moisture on the track but yesterday the turf was dry as a bone."

A total of eight horses fell during the six jumps races at Bendigo, with Mosstrooper Steeplechase contender Something To Share having to be euthanised after a late fall in the jumps feature.

Pateman also said there was a problem with the placement of the obstacles at Bendigo.

"I find the placement of the jumps at Bendigo don't ride with very good flow," he said. "It's a fantastic jumps track - it's a lovely, big track - but the placement of the jumps up the back straight have no flow.

"I have raised it with RVL before but it wasn't agreed."

Pateman said that despite all the hard work from RV and the clubs that have decided to showcase jumps racing, the sport will always have falls.

"Part of jumps racing is jumping obstacles and sometimes it doesn't work out that way," he said.

"It gets ridiculous sometimes trying to make up reasons why a horse is falling. It just happens sometimes.

"It's part of jumps racing. You are going to have fallers. They are there to jump. No one wants to see it. No one wants it to happen.

"I am walking around like an old man today as I had a heavy fall. I don't want to have falls. "Personally, we put a lot of pride in schooling our horses at home but it is part of the sport which makes it such a challenge."
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 10:49pm
Rubbish. 

They've had that rule for years. What's he talking about.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by horseshoe horseshoe wrote:

just arrived from NZ Monarch Chimes, will add to the jumps ranks

What a brilliant training effort, back in australia and wins on the flat at Sandown
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>