Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2018 Aust & NZ Jumps Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2018 Aust & NZ Jumps Season
    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 11:51am
Last meeting for the season today at Te Aroha with 5 jumps races including the Waikato Hunt hurdle & steeplechase.

The hurdle sees multiple G1 winner GALLANTE go around. He was creditable in the Great Northern Hdl last time out and this is a drop in class. I think he can beat the favourite.

In the steeplechase, the favourite is YIPSON. He’s been patchy all winter but has found some consistency in the late season. He’s by a very interesting sire called GOLD CENTRE, who is a full brother to ELVSTROEM. He only had a 3 start career including a maiden win at Warracknabeal. And ELVSTROEM has been one of the leading jumps sires here in Australia.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by sparticus sparticus wrote:

I can't imagine them getting away with it.

Who's saying that? 

Banjumpsracing Facebook page, aligned with CPR

SO possibly not true
The Ear View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Ear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 9:00pm
I thought that the hurdles had no brush in them above the take offs
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 2:02pm
I can't imagine them getting away with it.

Who's saying that? 
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 10:23am
Apparently they used the old style jumps yesterday, not the new model that has been used in recent times.
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 11:41pm
Way too high. It’s not feasible with that death and injury rate.
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 11:14pm
no, but i mean,

What happened to the death count. I thought they had been going OK, and now 8 dead in one year? What has changed? 
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 11:13pm
Hammerstein Jumped the fifth obstacle awkwardly. Made a faulty jump at the eleventh obstacle and fell. Hammerstein sustained a serious racing injury and was humanely euthanased. This incident will be referred to the Equine Welfare and Veterinary Department and Jumps Review Panel. Rider L Horner was examined by the Doctor and passed fit to fulfil his remaining engagements.
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 11:05pm
Hammerstein dead.

Jeez 8 dead for the season.

What happened? 
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 5:24pm
Traditionally Libs have been jump supporters in Vic.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

I would say that is the final jumps race meet ever run in this state.
When the Libs win the election, it will be the first thing to go.

One does not think of the conservatives as being anti this type of thing. One would have thought Labor would be the types to get rid of it.

Are they the Liberals suggesting they will do away with Jumps racing ?
reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 5:14pm
I would say that is the final jumps race meet ever run in this state.
When the Libs win the election, it will be the first thing to go.
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 5:08pm
Another messy jumps meet. Any news on the fallers?
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 1:01am
Legalised cruelty.
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by anabel anabel wrote:

Another fatality today, this time at Casterton. GranddukeofTuscany hit a hurdle and broke down. 

Is it just me, or is that a higher than average number of fatalities this season? 

I heard something about an average of 2.5 per season but this year it seems extremely high. I doubt they’d be counting the ones floated off course and later put down though. Would like to hear a figure. I think it’s been a horrible season and I’m no longer a fan.

From what I've been seeing, they've averaged 5 deaths a season since 2011. But they're at 7 this season, and as you say - that doesn't include the ones that are trucked off course and euthanised later.
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 10:56pm

Another fatality today, this time at Casterton. GranddukeofTuscany hit a hurdle and broke down. 

Is it just me, or is that a higher than average number of fatalities this season? 

I heard something about an average of 2.5 per season but this year it seems extremely high. I doubt they’d be counting the ones floated off course and later put down though. Would like to hear a figure. I think it’s been a horrible season and I’m no longer a fan.
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 10:48pm

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 12:17pm
Really looking forward seeing how GALLANTE goes in the Great Northern Hurdle today. Would be an amazing feat if he won a feature race like this at only his 2nd jumps start.

And of course we’ve got the 6300m Great Northern Steeplechase later in the day. He’s find it hard to break through but I like CHOCOLATE FISH. He’s always thereabouts and has the marathon breeding to see the journey out.

Some nice races at Casterton too. The clash between BIG BLUE & KILLARNEY KID in the open hurdle should be a highlight. I’ll take the ex-Godolphin horse to prevail.

Might have a little go each way on 4yo mare SWEET LULLABY in the maiden hurdle too.
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 5:36pm
International Jockey Michael Mitchell to ride Gallante in Great Northern Hurdle on Sunday at Te Aroha
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 2:08pm
Gallante wins maiden hurdle, El Luchador fell at last jump

PS..Braidon Small rode a $61.00 shot in race 4
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 11:03am
Big day of jumps racing over in NZ today. With Ellerslie out of action for the winter, Te Aroha is hosting today’s Pakuranga Hunt Cup meeting and the upcoming Great Northern meeting.

I like a couple of Kevin Myers horses in the 2 steeplechase races - KIDDO in the maiden chase & THE BIG OPAL in the Hunt Cup.

But the most interesting runner is dual G1 winner GALLANTE (2016 Sydney Cup) going around in one of the maiden hurdles over 3100m. Lloyd Williams sold him to Graeme Rogerson last year, along with ASSIGN & GOODWILL. Rogie is pretty good at preparing jumpers, so hopefully we see him go well today.   That said, one of his rivals today in EL LUCHADOR is being hyped as a gun hurdler.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 10:07am

Rick is the voice of jumps racing... it would be a great shame if they put someone else in.

I agree
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 12:35am
Rick is the voice of jumps racing... it would be a great shame if they put someone else in.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 11:51pm
Rick wasn’t too bad today, but geez his voice can get gravelly at the end of these marathon races.

Didn’t detract from such a fantastic finish but suffice to say I’d prefer to hear Matt Hill or Adam O calling.

Or even better, the great Dan Milecki......the best racecaller in Victoria, being wasted calling the trots
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 11:51pm

Today’s injuries
Jockey Will Gordon taken to Ballarat Base Hospital with suspected Broken collarbone

Horse Actions:

R1 - Our Yangtze (GB), examination revealed the gelding to have a delayed recovery, was lame in the near foreleg, had sustained lacerations to its near fore pastern and off hind hock and will require a veterinary clearance prior to racing again.

R2 - Hoylake (NZ), throat condition, veterinary clearance

R3 - Wicked Trilogy, entrapped epiglottis, veterinary clearance/scope

R6 - Abebe (NZ), blood one nostril (trauma), veterinary clearance

R6 - Gold A Plenty, lame near fire, veterinary clearance

Wells - abrasion to offfore pastern and chest - crashed through outside rail whilst riderless. No major harm, just a little sore.

Sleep’n Pete deceased, referred to Equine Welfare Dept as per protocol.

Valediction has been retired. Jumped poorly.

Sea King - possibly retired. Connections will let the dust settle. Goes for a spell either way.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 11:30pm
Just a guess but I suspect todays jumps racing was ruined by the racecaller.

I can not imagine the stupidity of his call of the National. 
reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 7:13pm
Sleep n Pete is dead

The others are fine
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 7:11pm
Last two a bit of a disaster. sleep n Pete? Abebe? John Monash?
Anyone know if they’re ok?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 6:34pm

Oh and in the meantime the trainer Barry Brook has just had triple bypass surgery on Friday. Good pick me up winner

Barry Brook stable has been flying over in SA - Meli Melo, Searaven & Sasun all recent winners. And now Caroun wins for the first time in 4 years!!

Great effort
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 6:22pm
Oh and in the meantime the trainer Barry Brook has just had triple bypass surgery on Friday. Good pick me up winner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>