Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Global Warming or Green-Leftist Lies ...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 31>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

There's a lot of brain on TBV...     I'm well aware that many could chew me up and spit me out ,   but choose not to.
   Whether it's Racing or other subjects , a lot of helpful opinions cross the bow.    That's what forums are for really.

Whale has taught me to spell and PT assures my week has several hours in a dictionary.    What more can we expect for free.

Smart, clever, educated, brainy, arrogant, elitist  ... I'll take your humble and experienced every time thanks macca!Clap

YES 

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 9:40pm
It always concerns me when we get zealots quoting the internet experts who support their position over and over, but dismiss out of hand, anything that is of an opposing opinion ...

In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 10:25pm
    Bought out my guilty conshence ( whale can fix that )

So funny   Doc ..        But snakes do have legs ..   Bill Shorten proof.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 12:07am
Not saying he is right or wrong, but Bjorn (not the Chemist from Warwick Farm via NZ!) has an interesting slant on things, and he does like to use current data ... hated by the Climate Alarmists, and the ABC accordingly!

Hmmm ... there really hasn't been much of a take up of Wind and Solar ... only makes up 0.8% of world energy ... we should rush to it though!Wacko

https://www.facebook.com/bjornlomborg/posts/10156541854473968

I agree with this!

"Most people believe solar PV and wind to be major parts of today's energy. They're not, and we need to know. 

When you also realize that solar and wind will likely contribute a trivial part of the solution over the coming quarter century, then it becomes easier to understand why we need to spend lots more on R&D to make cheaper, green energy.

And let's just dispel the idea that solar and wind is a win-win right now – they're incredibly costly at about $120bn this year in subsidies (for virtually no energy). Over the next 24 years we'll spend $3+ trillion, getting nowhere close to a solution. 

That's why I argue for strong increase in green R&D"
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 12:28am
$3+ TRILLION ... that's an awful lot of money to follow ...
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 11:37am
Its raining its raining its raining !!!!!!!!Beer  Since 4am.  Steady soaking rain Clap First wet for 9 months Cool   I have been out and slopped in it and its bliss !!!
Bring it down Huey !  I just hope others are getting some as well.
animals before people.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Ok 3bm - as you said "lets not beat about the bush". It would seem to be so blinkin obvious to you having read/studied/educated yourself with all those reports - the self appointed Global Warming expert on TBV. So give us your predictions. I mean assuming things progress as they are now how are we to be impacted in this country & more generally around the world. Maybe throw in a few best guesses re timings as well.

Lol, because I smack down obvious fwitted ignorance and point out the obvious in regards to the blinkered ideology of some posters? Not even close, although it's patently clear from the bullgelati and ignorance of the main opposition that my quite profound ignorance is orders of magnitudes less that theirs on a number of fronts. The main difference is that the same posters - no need to list them, it should be obvious to any reader - are those with particular political bent - ie conservatives. I've done quite a bit of reading on AGW but as regards energy and economics I've barely scratched the surface. YET I have had no trouble whatsoever in picking out the utter nonsense sprouted by the thread author - simply because it's so utterly ignorant of most analysis and bereft of credible fact.

No point in asking me general questions because (a) I'm no expert and (b) politics influence everything. If Labor gets in renewables will undoubtedly get somewhere back to where they were before the Abbott/Turnbull cuts but reading between the lines Shorten's priorities won't see his govt doing much about energy market and prices apart from fiddling at the fringes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking of impact - iirc Gillard provided tax relief to offset the impact of that, and when the cons attained power those concessions were left intact. They varied according to income from memory and may have been overtaken in the last 2 years by the increasing cost of power (which as we know has sfa to do with AGW and renewables) but it's telling that people remember the costs but quickly forget the handouts. 

Just found these from the budget. One is particularly telling in regards to the Turnbull govt's attitude to low income earners - you know, many of those who the thread author's heart bled for (roflmao) above. As I replied, governments have plenty of capacity to provide relief and fix energy market problems, it's the will, and the actions, which count (applies to both major parties).

Below are three statements/effects from the same Morrison budget. I'll leave you to work out the politics and the massive concern for low income earners and energy prices of the Turnbull govt: 

In recent years, those on low incomes have benefited from tax cuts and the carbon tax compensation that have been retained despite the carbon tax being abolished. 

People who move into the welfare system will get up to $14.10 less a fortnight as the government scraps carbon tax compensation for new recipients.

Welfare changes will also abolish the single income family supplement from July 1, 2017. The supplement allows low income, single income families to boost their tax free threshold to as high as $36,000. It was designed to replicate the tax benefit received by dual income families. Those who were eligible before July will keep the supplement.

One final comment, which shouldn't be necessary. By all means have some fun on TBV forums but if you want to be informed and comment on complex issues don't spend your hours reading tosh on TBV - including mine - hit up google and read some of the wealth of commentary and analysis available at a mouse click.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 6:35pm

Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Couldn't help yourself could you!LOL

Always happy to point out the obvious. Others are more polite but in your case in particular I see no reason to follow suit. 

Found those 700% numbers yet?

On another matter: how's your treatise on "morals and disease" coming along? Come up with a definition of "moral virtuousity" yet?

Both asked and answered - you have all the data you need, and your telling me you can't work it out?Embarrassed

I must have glossed over them. Excuse my ignorance, point them out again. I've provided a number of links which demonstrate they're nonsense, including commentary from your favourite "news" outlets.  There are plenty more.

Simple facts are that:
(a) our energy prices and the rapid rise in electricity costs has sfa to do with subsidies of renewables and 
(b) fossil fuel energy has received and continues to receive subsidies FAR higher than renewables. The HowCost tax concessions on gas alone are worth $40B+. 

As they say - read it and weep, if not for your country then for your own loud-mouthed benightedness.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 6:46pm

There's a lot of brain on TBV...     I'm well aware that many could chew me up and spit me out ,   but choose not to.
   Whether it's Racing or other subjects , a lot of helpful opinions cross the bow.    That's what forums are for really.

Whale has taught me to spell and PT assures my week has several hours in a dictionary.    What more can we expect for free.

Smart, clever, educated, brainy, arrogant, elitist  ... I'll take your humble and experienced every time thanks macca!Clap

Count me in as well Macca. I'll take your approach any time over loud-mouthed, opinionated, blinkered, ideologically driven, ignorant tosh every time, although I do enjoy the irony which crops up regularly from the same keyboards. 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 7:54pm

Ok 3bm - as you said "lets not beat about the bush". It would seem to be so blinkin obvious to you having read/studied/educated yourself with all those reports - the self appointed Global Warming expert on TBV. So give us your predictions. I mean assuming things progress as they are now how are we to be impacted in this country & more generally around the world. Maybe throw in a few best guesses re timings as well.

Lol, because I smack down obvious fwitted ignorance and point out the obvious in regards to the blinkered ideology of some posters? Not even close, although it's patently clear from the bullgelati and ignorance of the main opposition that my quite profound ignorance is orders of magnitudes less that theirs on a number of fronts. The main difference is that the same posters - no need to list them, it should be obvious to any reader - are those with particular political bent - ie conservatives. I've done quite a bit of reading on AGW but as regards energy and economics I've barely scratched the surface. YET I have had no trouble whatsoever in picking out the utter nonsense sprouted by the thread author - simply because it's so utterly ignorant of most analysis and bereft of credible fact.

No point in asking me general questions because (a) I'm no expert and (b) politics influence everything. If Labor gets in renewables will undoubtedly get somewhere back to where they were before the Abbott/Turnbull cuts but reading between the lines Shorten's priorities won't see his govt doing much about energy market and prices apart from fiddling at the fringes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking of impact - iirc Gillard provided tax relief to offset the impact of that, and when the cons attained power those concessions were left intact. They varied according to income from memory and may have been overtaken in the last 2 years by the increasing cost of power (which as we know has sfa to do with AGW and renewables) but it's telling that people remember the costs but quickly forget the handouts. 

Just found these from the budget. One is particularly telling in regards to the Turnbull govt's attitude to low income earners - you know, many of those who the thread author's heart bled for (roflmao) above. As I replied, governments have plenty of capacity to provide relief and fix energy market problems, it's the will, and the actions, which count (applies to both major parties).

Below are three statements/effects from the same Morrison budget. I'll leave you to work out the politics and the massive concern for low income earners and energy prices of the Turnbull govt: 

In recent years, those on low incomes have benefited from tax cuts and the carbon tax compensation that have been retained despite the carbon tax being abolished. 

People who move into the welfare system will get up to $14.10 less a fortnight as the government scraps carbon tax compensation for new recipients.

Welfare changes will also abolish the single income family supplement from July 1, 2017. The supplement allows low income, single income families to boost their tax free threshold to as high as $36,000. It was designed to replicate the tax benefit received by dual income families. Those who were eligible before July will keep the supplement.

One final comment, which shouldn't be necessary. By all means have some fun on TBV forums but if you want to be informed and comment on complex issues don't spend your hours reading tosh on TBV - including mine - hit up google and read some of the wealth of commentary and analysis available at a mouse click.

I tried reading your reply 3bm - however I stopped very early in the piece as you fell over at the first hurdle. To suggest my views on Climate Change our somehow influenced by my political bent is just laughable. Unlike you, I have very flexible views when it comes to politics. I have spent many a thread harpooning big business & the disgusting pay packets that their senior management justify for themselves. Similarly I am noted for supporting Unions & the workers. So the basic premise of your argument is wrong. Full stop. 
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 8:09pm

Count me in as well Macca. I'll take your approach any time over loud-mouthed, opinionated, blinkered, ideologically driven, ignorant tosh every time, although I do enjoy the irony which crops up regularly from the same keyboards. 
Very noble - if only it was true. Certainly not in this thread. EVERYONE else is wrong - including good old Macca ! Actually that's not quite right - ill give you The Judge !
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 8:19pm

Lol, because I smack down obvious fwitted ignorance and point out the obvious in regards to the blinkered ideology of some posters? 

The only way I could ever imagine you "smacking down" anything, would be whilst you were alone in front of the bathroom mirror, and I prefer not to imagine that thanks all the same!Dead

Are you sure you're not a cricketer from the subcontinent? ... with apologies to Billy Birmingham ... "next in to bat ... Jiwat Awankar" !!!Embarrassed
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 8:36pm
and doc most (all) of your posts go straight into the ravesh binny
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 8:42pm
Hey Jiwat, you've finally won me over with your self-effacing attitude, so I'll walk you through it, and put you out of your misery ...

How much do Australia's citizens spend on subsidising solar and wind energy annually ... $

How much do Australia's citizens spend on subsidising coal fired energy annually ... $ 

Come on, you know these numbers! ... Ok, now;

What percentage of Australia's total energy is produced by solar and wind ... $

What percentage of Australia's total energy is produced by coal ... $ 

You know you know these numbers ... now just apply the simple maths ...

Now tell us, what energy source is subsidised at a higher rate, and is therefore more costly (as well as being UNRELIABLE, and UNNECESSARY) to the taxpayers who fund the renewable energy rent seekers, and to what degree ...?

Come on, we believe in your intellect, even if you are still trying hard to convince yourself!Hug

NOTE: Approximations are quite acceptable for the purpose of "modelling", but guessing is frowned upon, unlike what is acceptable as "Peer ReviewedWink Climate Alarmist Settled Science!"LOL

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

and doc most (all) of your posts go straight into the ravesh binny

*Rubbish Binny
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 1:46pm

I tried reading your reply 3bm - however I stopped very early in the piece as you fell over at the first hurdle. To suggest my views on Climate Change our somehow influenced by my political bent is just laughable. Unlike you, I have very flexible views when it comes to politics. I have spent many a thread harpooning big business & the disgusting pay packets that their senior management justify for themselves. Similarly I am noted for supporting Unions & the workers. So the basic premise of your argument is wrong. Full stop. 

Your  prerogative 11. I may have been a tad harsh in your case but your long history in the GW thread suggests not. Your keenness to take on a couple of others above was the catalyst. Not that I have you pegged as one, but opinionated, tin-eared dressmakers on forums have exercised the no-read option for years, preferring their own opinions to reading, so it's nothing new to me or anyone else who reads public comments below articles.  

Don't bother asking questions if you aren't up to reading responses is my theory. I put some time into the one above but obviously shouldn't have bothered.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 1:50pm

Very noble - if only it was true. Certainly not in this thread. EVERYONE else is wrong - including good old Macca ! Actually that's not quite right - ill give you The Judge !

Macca is undoubtedly wrong, but I wasn't referring to that as perhaps the second sentence might have suggested.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 2:00pm

Lol, because I smack down obvious fwitted ignorance and point out the obvious in regards to the blinkered ideology of some posters? 

The only way I could ever imagine you "smacking down" anything, would be whilst you were alone in front of the bathroom mirror, and I prefer not to imagine that thanks all the same!Dead

Are you sure you're not a cricketer from the subcontinent? ... with apologies to Billy Birmingham ... "next in to bat ... Jiwat Awankar" !!!Embarrassed

No need to explain your limitations. We've known them for a long time. 

Your imagination is taken up by all consuming, puerile, hyperbolic prejudices. 

I must track down that post where you were, as usual, spitting childish epithets (old man shouting at the sky) at your usual targets complaining about their supposed outrage. The reply was obvious - like Judge's to Stayer above, but still hilarious. Your confected and hyperbolic outrage is orders of magnitude greater that the  grossly exaggerated (in your tiny mind) "outrage" of "lefties" blah blah blah.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 2:10pm

Hey Jiwat, you've finally won me over with your self-effacing attitude, so I'll walk you through it, and put you out of your misery ...

How much do Australia's citizens spend on subsidising solar and wind energy annually ... $

How much do Australia's citizens spend on subsidising coal fired energy annually ... $ 

Now tell us, what energy source is subsidised at a higher rate, and is therefore more costly (as well as being UNRELIABLE, and UNNECESSARY) to the taxpayers who fund the renewable energy rent seekers, and to what degree ...?

Come on, we believe in your intellect, even if you are still trying hard to convince yourself!Hug

NOTE: Approximations are quite acceptable for the purpose of "modelling", but guessing is frowned upon, unlike what is acceptable as "Peer ReviewedWink Climate Alarmist Settled Science!"LOL

I've given you links to numbers galore, all of which show clearly that your 700% claim was, like most of your posts on any number of topics, either pulled out of your @rse or a figment of your very limited and ideologically-tainted imagination (see above). 

Surely after a week you've been able to scrape up some other source of ignorance to back up your claims? There are any number of fwitted denier websites and conservative commentaries which rely on their readers' lack of knowledge, lack of skepticism and inability to think. 
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 7:22pm
A few interesting revelations made by a present employee of the BOM whose name is withheld for obvious reasons:

BR: Don't get me started about long range....

BR: But general forecasts are still mostly accurate but that depends a lot on personal interpretations....I wish I got a chance to make the forecasts, but the new GFE (computer based % chance stuff I am not a fan
of) and it frustrates those who have a passion for how things were done the old fashioned way (like myself). The wording is robotic with precis inconsistencies but GFE was designed for everyone in the country so you can click your spot on the planet and get a forecast generated from a coded pixel.....it might have more reach but there is a lot less love.

BR: I could go on all day because I constantly find myself in the middle of defending some aspects and hating on others....so get a bit much after a while.

AVW:
Yeah I remember I used to speak to Ward Rooney and the day the computerized stuff took over was the day he resigned from the BOM.

GC:
Nice insights here - loved Ward Rooney.

Today:

GE:
BOMs radar system is a shambles. Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane all not working atm.

BR:
it's bloody comms issues thanks to the mid life upgrades, radar themselves are fine! very very frustrating, like trying to get a 2yo to eat their veggies.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 12:00am
I've had a family member crying to me ..     He is on Acres in the Hunter Region and they are in real strife with drought ATM.   After about 8 years of great weather and beef profits ,   Not a dollar spent to enlarge dams , stock up on hay . NOTHING .      > It's all Governments fault.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 2:29am

I've given you links to numbers galore, all of which show clearly that your 700% claim was, like most of your posts on any number of topics, either pulled out of your @rse or a figment of your very limited and ideologically-tainted imagination (see above). 

Surely after a week you've been able to scrape up some other source of ignorance to back up your claims? There are any number of fwitted denier websites and conservative commentaries which rely on their readers' lack of knowledge, lack of skepticism and inability to think. 

Don't tell me you've given up then? Ouch

... I'm sorry, but it wouldn't be fair to your own development if I just spoon feed you.

Come on, I've given you all the hints I can, and you seem to have already cut and pasted all of the relevant numbers at some stage (if not, you may need to read some more ... now you MUST USE YOUR BRAIN! 

If you still find yourself deficient, don't be embarrassed ... ASK AN ADULT FOR ASSISTANCE!Big smile

YEP, SEVEN TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE!Cry
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 8:53am
Haven't you already done that exercise for TBV members Dr E ? Not all that long ago either if memory serves me correctly. Would seem some on here are struggling to keep up (no names no pack drill) !
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 9:17am
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-19/bhp-threatens-minerals-council-withdrawal/9271472

BHP set to leave World Coal Association, threatens Minerals Council withdrawal

By business reporter Michael Janda

Updated 19 Dec 2017, 6:11pm

Australian mining giant BHP is set to pull out of the World Coal Association and is threatening to leave the Minerals Council of Australia over differences on climate change policy.

The company has published a 22-page report outlining key climate and energy policy differences between it and several of the lobby groups it is a member of.

The review has found material differences between BHP's position and the position of the Minerals Council of Australia (MCA), the US Chamber of Commerce and the World Coal Association (WCA).

BHP said it has reached a preliminary view to exit the WCA, with a final decision due by the end of March.

The company said it is also considering its future as part of the US Chamber of Commerce, again with a decision due by the end of March.

BHP has indicated its desire to remain part of the MCA "given the high level of benefit BHP derives from membership", but the company has said it will request the MCA refrain from policy activity and advocacy in these areas of difference on climate and energy policy.

The company said it will review its membership of the MCA if the organisation has not stopped such activity within the next 12 months.

BHP disagrees with Minerals Council coal-power lobbying

BHP has identified two main differences with the MCA on climate and energy policy.

The first is the MCA's argument that energy policy should prioritise reliability and affordability over other policy goals — BHP said it believes climate and energy policy are "inextricably linked" and "should be considered on an integrated basis".

The second major difference is the MCA's advocacy for policy changes that would favour so-called high-efficiency low-emissions (HELE) coal power stations and a new coal-fired power plant in the La Trobe Valley.

A move to withdraw would be a massive blow to Australia's peak mining lobby group — not only would it lose credibility if the nation's, and world's, biggest miner pulled out, but BHP's annual subscription fee of $1.86 million accounted for around 17 per cent of the MCA's revenue last year.

The "high level of benefit" BHP obtains from the MCA includes the lobby group's highly effective campaign against the Resource Super Profits Tax (RSPT) in 2010 that ultimately contributed to the Labor Party ousting Kevin Rudd as its leader and prime minister and installing Julia Gillard, who subsequently negotiated the watered-down Minerals Resource Rent Tax (MRRT) with the big miners.

One of the organisations that had pushed BHP to ditch its MCA membership over climate issues, the Australasian Centre for Corporate Responsibility, said it welcomed the company's "extraordinary" decision to leave the WCA, but feels it could have gone further.

"This is a message that even organisations, like BHP, with large coal assets, do not value aggressive anti-climate lobbying," ACCR executive director Brynn O'Brien said.

"However, BHP's equivocation in relation to membership of the MCA, in giving the MCA another 12 months to change its tune on coal, points to the highly-charged environment in which climate policy is made in Australia.

"We also have concerns about the review's failure to evaluate, in detail, the activities of other organisations, for example, the NSW Minerals Council, and Queensland Resources Council, who in some ways take positions even more at odds with BHP's than those taken by the MCA.more....

World Coal Association response

http://www.afr.com/business/mining/bhp-misrepresented-climate-stance-says-lobby-group-the-world-coal-association-20171219-h07kui 

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 1:16am

Haven't you already done that exercise for TBV members Dr E ? Not all that long ago either if memory serves me correctly. Would seem some on here are struggling to keep up (no names no pack drill) !

Yes indeed! ... it's a shame that some would prefer to cut and paste lies, rather than READ!LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 1:46pm

Referring to me 11? Have some courage, it's an anonymous forum and no-one's coming to get you. I can deal with criticism, esp from those who have trouble grasping basic concepts of science and economics. I particularly enjoy exposing the gross ignorance and stupidity (okay that usually speaks for itself) of apoplectic conservatives .

My advice to you - again. Try reading more than the headlines, try thinking outside the square where economics are concerned (in the case of energy costs in Australia the big picture has already been analysed many times, all you gotta do is search and read). A lot to ask I know but it's never too late to start for anyone who isn't  ideologically blinkered and puerile.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 2:25pm

... I'm sorry, but it wouldn't be fair to your own development if I just spoon feed you.

Come on, I've given you all the hints I can, and you seem to have already cut and pasted all of the relevant numbers at some stage (if not, you may need to read some more ... now you MUST USE YOUR BRAIN! 

If you still find yourself deficient, don't be embarrassed ... ASK AN ADULT FOR ASSISTANCE!Big smile

Keep hitting your head on that wall, it might help to loosen up some of what's left of the inactive grey matter. The economics are simple enough although you and your cowering follower (("no names, no pack drill" lol)  appear to be still struggling. Not surprising since you both appear reluctant to read more than the tea leaves, and on evidence of this forum you both struggle to do basic analysis.

It's more than safe to say that it's lucky you're not in business or investment (or come to think of it anything else where important decisions are involved). One of the first rules of business is that all costs have to be accounted for, not just those you want to deal with. 

Economic and scientific novices, esp puerile ideologically driven ones, regularly put their own opinions ahead of those who have done the work, have the knowledge and expertise, and have the capacity to consider all inputs and outputs of the systems they're analysing.

Your 700% is simplistic garbage. If you did come across something to that effect it was likely burley aimed at naive and compliant, but in your case it's more likely to be a figment of your apoplectic mind.

Must admit I did learn a few things on this thread. 
(1) Renewable energy is a leftist/socialist plot, and the cause of our exorbitant electricity prices.  Hilarious,  stupid, and patently wrong, but there we have it. 
(2) The intelligence of Cory Bernardi and the sadly defunct Malcolm Roberts might not be as low as I thought. There are even deeper depths to plumb.
(3) Scientists need to study the human colon's "second brain" much more closely. 
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 2:39pm
I think our SCIENTISTS gave us Cane Toads a few moons ago .

A recent article published, predicted the rising sea levels would be a danger to coastal residents .     With some in depth detail as to the urgency of preparing for this rapid rise of water.

It lost some meaning when it was revealed the date was 1922 and levels are still much the same..
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 3:26pm
God gave us cane toads maxie. Not sure what he was thinking
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 3:55pm

Keep hitting your head on that wall, it might help to loosen up some of what's left of the inactive grey matter. The economics are simple enough although you and your cowering follower (("no names, no pack drill" lol)  appear to be still struggling. Not surprising since you both appear reluctant to read more than the tea leaves, and on evidence of this forum you both struggle to do basic analysis.

It's more than safe to say that it's lucky you're not in business or investment (or come to think of it anything else where important decisions are involved). One of the first rules of business is that all costs have to be accounted for, not just those you want to deal with. 

Economic and scientific novices, esp puerile ideologically driven ones, regularly put their own opinions ahead of those who have done the work, have the knowledge and expertise, and have the capacity to consider all inputs and outputs of the systems they're analysing.

Your 700% is simplistic garbage. If you did come across something to that effect it was likely burley aimed at naive and compliant, but in your case it's more likely to be a figment of your apoplectic mind.

Must admit I did learn a few things on this thread. 
(1) Renewable energy is a leftist/socialist plot, and the cause of our exorbitant electricity prices.  Hilarious,  stupid, and patently wrong, but there we have it. 
(2) The intelligence of Cory Bernardi and the sadly defunct Malcolm Roberts might not be as low as I thought. There are even deeper depths to plumb.
(3) Scientists need to study the human colon's "second brain" much more closely. 
Humour (attempted) has never been your go 3bm. Even I know that !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 31>