Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Global Warming or Green-Leftist Lies ...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 31>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Wasn't it Tony Abbott's grand 2013 election promise to dam a heap of Queensland rivers and pipe water?

Whatever happened to that?

Piping water from the often flooded Herbert River south was and still is worth consideration. Not Abbott's idea either, it's been mentioned for decades. Mentioned is all it gets in Qld though. No dam or extra water rights unless you are an Ex Labor treasurer in charge of Cubbie Station's sale.

The Murray / Darling is suffering from the poor management by Qld politicians. It starts in Qld so they reckon they own it and stuff the rest of the country.

Best case scenario would be: removed 50% of Cubbie Station's water rights and force them to use dry land crop practices like those in NSW have to along the Darling River.

Remember the proposed dam on the Mary? We got a desal plant instead. White elephant stuff to take the focus off the shifty deals done with the land sales near Gympie.

Not originally, but I knew that would bring you in. Big smile

You will well remember the good discussion on this topic a few years ago. I couldn't remember which thread it was in to bring it up again.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

There is bad on all sides Dr E.  The Libs are really not doing anything but blame Labour and point the finger at Shorten.  That isn't government.  But that is all we are getting.  I'm sick of it.  And not all farmers are like you say.  I have lots of farming relatives mostly dairy who have been through a hell of a time in the last 20 years and banks do have a lot to say about their livelihood.  One used to breed show topping friesens.  THe last time I visited shortly after he died I didn't recognise the place as they had to go into cross breds for greater butter content.  No money in milk anymore well not enough to make ends meet.  So his lifes work down the drain.  

Which is the point furious.
Federal and State govts disagreeing because of party bias has been the norm for too long.

Even the traveling stock route in Qld is too expensive to use because of the red tape needed at both state and local govt levels.

And if Doc want our farmers to throw in the towel, forget about farming and do other work then he is about as clueless as PT makes him out to be.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 7:26pm
Cubbie Station's water allocation is plain vulgar.
They have the right to hold back so much that they don't need, they can and do actually sell it to the NSW farmers/govt and release the water for them.

A putrid deal done here in Qld. And NSW, Victoria and Sth Australia suffer from it.

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 7:29pm
They live for the land even though it is the toughest life I know.  We can't all live easy in the city.  Boy I'm so sick of governments just trying to score of each other instead of trying to fix things even if they have to work together.  THey just don't want the other side to get any praise at all!  Don't they think we can see what hypocrites they look when they continue down this route.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 7:29pm
I don't think E is familiar with the concept of a record. When a record is broken, as temperature records are being smashed in Asia and Europe at the moment, that means it has not happened before.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 7:34pm

There is bad on all sides Dr E. agree The Libs are really not doing anything but blame Labour and point the finger at Shorten. That isn't government. agree But that is all we are getting.  I'm sick of it. agree And not all farmers are like you say. agree - never said ALL. I have lots of farming relatives mostly dairy who have been through a hell of a time in the last 20 years and banks do have a lot to say about their livelihood.  One used to breed show topping friesens.  THe last time I visited shortly after he died I didn't recognise the place as they had to go into cross breds for greater butter content.  No money in milk anymore well not enough to make ends meet.  So his lifes work down the drain.  If you mean they were only in farming for 20 years, or less than a generation or two, I feel sorry for them - people who have gone into any industry without doing their due diligence, and understanding the history of it are set to fail - small time dairy farming in recent times has had it's own challenges however. Farming in Australia in general can be brutal, and always subject to the climate cycle, been going on for millennia.

Looks like we are on a unity ticket furious.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 7:43pm
No Uncle and then sons and then his sons and grandsons.  So up to four generations.  But he took the cows to another level and then had to loose all that so that his sons and their families could survive.  Yes you have to change but when someone in an office keeps cutting what they pay you for some very hard work I'd be a bit more than peeved.  No he got on with surviving in a new world but its still sad to know all that careful breeding over more than twenty years just went down the drain.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I don't think E is familiar with the concept of a record. When a record is broken, as temperature records are being smashed in Asia and Europe at the moment, that means it has not happened before.

Ummm, let me help you out with your lack of basic comprehension there Tlaz.

That would actually mean that the temperature had not been reached since records were kept ... a common misconception of the ill informed left wing loon who believes that the planet is a couple of hundred years old. Embarrassed

Thoughtful, intelligent, conservatives have had to quell this kind of hysteria and lefty exaggerations, millions of times on a daily basis, for ever...
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 7:50pm

No Uncle and then sons and then his sons and grandsons.  So up to four generations.  But he took the cows to another level and then had to loose all that so that his sons and their families could survive.  Yes you have to change but when someone in an office keeps cutting what they pay you for some very hard work I'd be a bit more than peeved.  No he got on with surviving in a new world but its still sad to know all that careful breeding over more than twenty years just went down the drain.

What happened to our small dairy farmers was criminal. THAT was unforeseeable, no matter how many climate cycles you had seen!
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 7:54pm
Still happening.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

There is bad on all sides Dr E.  The Libs are really not doing anything but blame Labour and point the finger at Shorten.  That isn't government.  But that is all we are getting.  I'm sick of it.  And not all farmers are like you say.  I have lots of farming relatives mostly dairy who have been through a hell of a time in the last 20 years and banks do have a lot to say about their livelihood.  One used to breed show topping friesens.  THe last time I visited shortly after he died I didn't recognise the place as they had to go into cross breds for greater butter content.  No money in milk anymore well not enough to make ends meet.  So his lifes work down the drain.  

Which is the point furious.
Federal and State govts disagreeing because of party bias has been the norm for too long.

Even the traveling stock route in Qld is too expensive to use because of the red tape needed at both state and local govt levels.

And if Doc want our farmers to throw in the towel, forget about farming and do other work then he is about as clueless as PT makes him out to be.

I didn't suggest we give up on farming scamanda, I actually suggested dams and irrigation was a necessity, and I would back it in the most aggressive way possible - we simply need Trumpesque attention to removing the red tape ... much smarter than pumping water uphill in the Snowy Mountains!

Besides, we have too much Chinese investment in farming for us to give up on it altogether.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 8:45pm
The Chinese have picked the eyes out of where they invest in agriculture , dairy products and beef just like there are trying to do in France, not every farmer can have the most productive piece of land I know but it seems the ones hurt the most are the ones that have been farming for generations or live on the cusp of the dry and nearly every year has become a gamble, btw Doc I listen to Macca on the abc sun.morn. have heard that poem and many more, next to landline my favourite fwiw.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 9:01pm
I just watched the channel 7 local news.
Headline was Qld farmers warned of an early El Nino cycle. More dry weather ahead. Cattle prices still falling as graziers get what they can before things get any worse.

Funny thing is according to the news, as the cattle prices continue to go down the supermarket prices for beef are set to rise. Wacko

No wonder city people think the farmers are rich.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 9:41pm
Conversely, a couple of snippets from AVW last night:

And over the next two weeks, the active pattern continues. What is changing is the amount of moisture that is now starting to filter in ahead of the cold fronts out West.

But we now have the climate making major moves, the MJO moved into Phase 6 a few days ago, and is now heading into the null Phase.

This is going to open the door for Australia to see a much more active and ultimately wetter period unfold. I still maintain the Negative IOD behaviour is still a distinct possibility, and when I update the Long range outlooks at the end of this week, it won’t be an easy call to make.

And you cant have a negative IOD with an El Nino, as they cancel each other out, negative IOD is correlated with La Nina, and Positive IOD is correlated with El Nino.

And they usually follow each other, at the end of El Nino, like we saw in 2016, the left over warm water moves into the Indian Ocean, and you see big rainfall years.

And conversely, after La Nina events, we see dry years as the Indian Ocean massively cools off as the winds turn to the Westerly direction, and Positive IOD events follow.

And this is where we are now, we are now waiting for the climate models to realise that this El Nino is not going to occur, because the atmosphere is firmly behaving like a La Nina.

So if it is behaving like a La Nina, we have a chance of Negative IOD, and we still have time to set up some sort of IOD thats favourable.

The problem being, if its a weak set up, it may continue to go back and forth, and that means some dry spells in the weeks and months ahead as well.

And this is what it should look like for El Nino, this was July and August of 1997, and we are the complete opposite of this.

So whilst this is all well and good, its now how long does it take to cash in on this, and is it a sustainable move?

Goos questions, ones I cannot be certain on, especially the second question. Whilst I believe it will break later in August, I am unsure if the set up will be strong enough to continue right into Spring and Summer.

But in the short term, I very much like what is going on.

Now this Antarctic Oscillation forecast is simply insane, and off the scale, its actually minus 4.5 and off the page.

And its not a coincidence that the MJO moving into Phase 6 has now unlocked this, and we are now seeing major upper troughs come up from the South.

The reason its so strong is due to the moisture we have available, troughs are now picking up good moisture out West in the Indian Ocean.

So we are going to see a massive response in a fortnight from this, with major rainfall events on the cards.

We have now also gone on a massive run of 15 days with positive Southern Oscillation Index readings, so a response is indeed coming, pressures are lower here than they are in the Pacific, and that will strengthen the Easterlies.

The 30 day average is now exactly 0, after reaching minus 8 two weeks ago. So I will be watching now and waiting for the pattern to change, the pressures to lower, and already we are now seeing the forecasts for inland rain next week.

So will watch closely and see if this break starts to look like it will eventuate in august as I expect it to.

All for what it's worth & no doubt, time will tell but but can only hope the drought stricken areas receive some meaningful rains shortly Cry

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 10:15pm
Having a look at the map the east will get something to drink over the w/e, light in some areas, a little more around Orange, Tamworth and below, can only hope they are right.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

The Chinese have picked the eyes out of where they invest in agriculture , dairy products and beef just like there are trying to do in France, not every farmer can have the most productive piece of land I know but it seems the ones hurt the most are the ones that have been farming for generations or live on the cusp of the dry and nearly every year has become a gamble, btw Doc I listen to Macca on the abc sun.morn. have heard that poem and many more, next to landline my favourite fwiw.

At the end of the day, farming is a choice ... but traditionally, there are not many sons or daughters of generational farmers who haven't attended a high end boarding school, followed by a university degree, before deciding their vocation of choice ... just sayin'

Indeed, these old poems are very revealing and important repositories of history, as well as insightful predictors of the future ...

And, oh, the smiles on every face,
As happy lad and lass
Through grass knee-deep on Casey's place
Went riding down to Mass.
While round the church in clothes genteel
Discoursed the men of mark,
And each man squatted on his heel,
And chewed his piece of bark.
"There'll be bush-fires for sure, me man,
There will, without a doubt;
We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
"Before the year is out."
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 3:05am
It's gunna be OK ... we wont be allowed to keep the livestock alive anyway!!!Shocked

Time to #WalAwayfromParis

NEG 26% Target Spells Trouble for Agriculture Sector

New analysis from the Australia Institute shows that requiring Australia’s agricultural sector to reduce emissions by at least 26 per cent by 2030 would impose significant costs and reduced production for the industry.

The federal government’s proposed NEG plans to lock in a 26 per cent reduction in the electricity sector, implying an intention to reach the Paris target using a proportional sector by sector approach, requiring each sector to reduce emissions by 26 per cent.

Key findings:

• Our analysis shows the NEG 26% Target would require agriculture to reduce emissions per year by 18.7 million tonnes (Mt) of CO2e by 2030.
  • By 2030 there would be 9.1 Mt per year gap in required emissions reductions resulting in the need to reduce agricultural production, including significant reductions in livestock numbers. 
  • In 2030, this would include: 2.9 million fewer beef cattle, 8 million fewer sheep, 290,000 fewer dairy cows and 270,000 fewer pigs.
“Reducing emissions by 26 per cent in the agricultural sector would come at significant cost. This does not need to be the case,” said Matt Grudnoff, report author and Senior Economist at The Australia Institute.

http://www.tai.org.au/content/neg-26-target-spells-trouble-agriculture-sector
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 10:57am
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Why doesn't someone ever say the obvious truth on farmers?- Many of them are on marginal land which, with global warming- and no farmer is stupid enough to doubt it is happening- will become unsustainable for farming. If it isn't already unsustainable.

Show us where it is worse today than ever before .

Drought , Flood , etc Fire are all cyclical and have been a part of life , long before we were mutated from cockroaches in 26000 BC.

The mid 1940"s drought was a clanger and with global warming to blame now , It makes our Psychiatrics feel better .
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 9:46pm
Sorry macca, MUST be, hottest EVER, driest EVER, coldest EVER, wettest EVER and most importantly WORST EVER ...

Mind you, with more CO2, plant life thrives, those who rely on that food source (everything) thrives, in fact the whole planet thrives ... as opposed to Global Cooling which kills EVERYTHING and quicker ... just sayin'Wink
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 11:15am
This case could be very significant everywhere.

THE SUPREME COURT REFUSES TO HALT A CLIMATE CHANGE LAWSUIT BROUGHT BY CHILDREN AND TEENAGERS

43 MINUTES AGO

The United States Supreme Court on Monday refused to halt a lawsuit that represents a novel attempt by children and teenagers to sue the federal government over its inaction on climate change.

First filed in 2015 by a group of young Americans in Oregon, the lawsuit claims that the federal government's refusal to address climate change threatens the constitutional rights of young people and future generations who will come of age in a world of greater scarcity and danger. As Pacific Standard reported in 2016, the 21 plaintiffs allege that "the U.S. government's knowing inaction on climate has violated their right to 'life, liberty, and property' as enshrined in the due process clause of the Fifth Amendment."

In 2016 the Obama administration pushed to have the lawsuit dismissed—only to find their motion refused by a U.S. District Court judge in Oregon. The judge's stunning legal decision, immediately controversial, then began its journey up to the Supreme Court. After inheriting the case from the Obama government, the Trump administration continued to maintain that the young people's lawsuit was illegitimate. However, on Monday, the Supreme Court declared that the government's motion to dismiss the case was premature.

In United States v. U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon, 18A65, the justices acknowledged that the lawsuit "presents substantial grounds for difference of opinion," and advised the district court judge in Oregon to consider the "striking" breadth of the case before rejecting other attempts by the government to dismiss the lawsuit.

http://psmag.com/environment/the-supreme-court-refuses-to-halt-a-climate-change-lawsuit-brought-by-children-and-teenagers

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 4:51pm
Wrong thread.

... this should be in the "only in America" file, along with "Trump wins election!" ...Wacko
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 5:06pm
I thought even you could connect these dots. I will type slower for you in future.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 5:29pm
Please, save me reading past the headline, what did I miss ...
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 4:11am
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 11:34am
I always knew Australians were full of sh*t on climate change- full of concern about it but unwilling to bear any cost to fix it.  Electricity bills are the greatest moral challenge of our generation.Wink
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 12:35pm
Self flagellation for the purpose of virtue signaling is over rated Tlaz (outside the clergy).
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 10:14am
Bloody long, cold winter here in Sydney this year
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

I know, I know - we are talking climate -  not weather. However, if we have a really cold winter this year, & we had one last year as well.....& the one before that.....when does it become "climate" ?
Refer ALP Election Promises
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

It's that Global Warming oneone.

I've been waiting for all the Tim Flannery Jockeys to remind us he predicted a drought.   Some 10 plus years ago .
He hadn't heard of the cyclical weather patterns of our Sunburnt Country.

How I remember the freezes of the 1930--40--50s.   Living near the highest peaks of the Great Dividing Range.    Orange 2800 NSW.
   Move just 30 plus miles North and the Flats took you to the heat box areas of Western NSW . Dubbo --- Bourke .        Nothing has changed .
   The Climate hasn't changed , The Cyclical patterns are reliable .
Snow , Bushfires , Floods , still take their turn.

Never dreamed the deluded would wreck our economy , Not unlike the witch Doctors of years before.      AND would you believe ,    some could be killed if they had a bone pointed at them if you go back far enough .   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 31>