Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NRL Season 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 38>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 10:05pm
Saw him speak at a corporate function about 18 months ago, done as an interview.

I hadn't really known a lot about him, never read his books, etc, but I was obviously aware of his career, former Australian player, and Super Coach, with a penchant for NOT speaking to the media! ... thought it would be interesting.

Brilliant night, totally engaging and forthright in his answers.

His understanding of human nature and how to do his job was staunch and pragmatic.

His descriptions of how each of the teams he coached reacted to different circumstances, the impact of Origin on a full season of club football - reckons he should have won 2 premierships with the Dragons, but he reckons Ricky Stewart drove his 7 NSW SOO players at such a high intensity, it took more than 6 weeks to get their heads back into club football, and the window was closed. 

His position on the development of young boys and young men, and the importance of strong male influences is simple and insightful.

How he learnt that philosophy, becoming the man of the house as a boy, having to retrieve his drunken father from the pub at night, and seeing the affect it had on his mother and family was heart wrenching.

He doesn't go too deeply into his own family circumstances, everyone is aware of his disabled children (ironically, this was just before he split with the missus!) but that wasn't surprising seeing that he protects his privacy generally.

As for the media, I just think that he sees them as a distraction to him doing his job effectively, and they always have an agenda anyway, so why pay their stupid lines of questioning any respect ... nothing in it for him!  

As for the new bird (who he's been with for 18 months) ... she had no choice, Barnaby was spoken for!LOL 
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 11:22pm
His function talks are very good.  He did one here.  For free.  A sportsmans night .  Tickets $50 as a fund raiser,  for junior football here in town ,   and he took no fee.  He sat there and talked for over an hour and then answered questions.   Brilliant man really.   Just cant present himself as a social soul.  I can relate to that.
Hope he is happy with the new lady.
animals before people.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Saw him speak at a corporate function about 18 months ago, done as an interview.

I hadn't really known a lot about him, never read his books, etc, but I was obviously aware of his career, former Australian player, and Super Coach, with a penchant for NOT speaking to the media! ... thought it would be interesting.

Brilliant night, totally engaging and forthright in his answers.

His understanding of human nature and how to do his job was staunch and pragmatic.

His descriptions of how each of the teams he coached reacted to different circumstances, the impact of Origin on a full season of club football - reckons he should have won 2 premierships with the Dragons, but he reckons Ricky Stewart drove his 7 NSW SOO players at such a high intensity, it took more than 6 weeks to get their heads back into club football, and the window was closed. 

His position on the development of young boys and young men, and the importance of strong male influences is simple and insightful.

How he learnt that philosophy, becoming the man of the house as a boy, having to retrieve his drunken father from the pub at night, and seeing the affect it had on his mother and family was heart wrenching.

He doesn't go too deeply into his own family circumstances, everyone is aware of his disabled children (ironically, this was just before he split with the missus!) but that wasn't surprising seeing that he protects his privacy generally.

As for the media, I just think that he sees them as a distraction to him doing his job effectively, and they always have an agenda anyway, so why pay their stupid lines of questioning any respect ... nothing in it for him!  

As for the new bird (who he's been with for 18 months) ... she had no choice, Barnaby was spoken for!LOL 

If the media stopped covering rugby league have a guess at the value of the next TV deal?Wink
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 7:56pm
Impressive although very scrappy 30-12 win by the Pretenders over the hapless Dogs tonight 
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 8:15pm
Did Woods play at all PT? only saw the last 18mins, doggies w/s ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 8:40pm
Yes 29 tackles 13 runs
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 8:46pm
Thanks mate.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 8:49pm
He was interchanged twice, going off for the second time at the 67min 
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 12:58am
Roosters were down to 12 for 10 mins and did a mountain of defending in that time. Lost Toupou pretty early and then Aubosson after that. Tedesco had a much better game, scored a try and set one up for Cronk. Looked a different side with Keary back.
Take the two points and move on, lot improvement to come. Special mention to Isaac Liu, he must be one of the most improved players in the comp over the last 12 months.

Massive concerns for the Doggies, going to be a long year.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 8:56am
First few rounds reveals diddly squat for how teams end up at the end of the year. Still cant believe how that Cowboy player ran into the post last night. Should be used in a Specsaver ad
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Heavy10 Heavy10 wrote:

Roosters were down to 12 for 10 mins and did a mountain of defending in that time. Lost Toupou pretty early and then Aubosson after that. Tedesco had a much better game, scored a try and set one up for Cronk. Looked a different side with Keary back.
Take the two points and move on, lot improvement to come. Special mention to Isaac Liu, he must be one of the most improved players in the comp over the last 12 months.

Massive concerns for the Doggies, going to be a long year.

All sporting teams success starts with quality admin so the Dogs are rooted.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 10:44am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

First few rounds reveals diddly squat for how teams end up at the end of the year. Still cant believe how that Cowboy player ran into the post last night. Should be used in a Specsaver ad

Unbelievable, thought he was in and the c/boys home, Johnathon still worries me with that oh so late holding of the ball before release, it's sad but I can see him being taken " out"a number of times again.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 11:30am
JT has been doing that his entire career, I doubt he will change now
EAD
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Unbelievable, thought he was in and the c/boys home, Johnathon still worries me with that oh so late holding of the ball before release, it's sad but I can see him being taken " out"a number of times again.
Yes - seen many a player get obstructed by the goal post from dummy half with no momentum. Most odd to be coming from 15 m out at full pace without being able to slightly adjust your body position to at least glance off the post (as a minimum).
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

JT has been doing that his entire career, I doubt he will change now

The body's a bit older now tiger, just might have to for self preservation.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 11:16pm
I must say I'm speechless, my mighty Tigers win again

The bargain basement, golo, reject shop, crazy clients, the $2 shop team win again against Woolworths last week and knocked off Coles this week.

You little rippers
EAD
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 12:14am
Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

I must say I'm speechless, my mighty Tigers win again

The bargain basement, golo, reject shop, crazy clients, the $2 shop team win again against Woolworths last week and knocked off Coles this week.

You little rippers
Yes congrats Tiger. My best mate is a Tiger tragic & is also over the moon. Panthers / Tigers for the Grand Final
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 10:08am
This is shaping as a great season. Still early days of course. Don't like the Raiders (actually its more Stuart) - however I think they will touch the Knights up down there this arvo. Embarrassing loss last week & now at home for the first time. 13+ at $3 will do me. Manly to be too tough for Parra as well.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 12:34pm
I think the Storm ($5.50) are going to have a tough year. Croft will be a top halfback but you can't expect Cronk level in his first year. If Smith ever gets an injury that takes him out for a lot of weeks they won't make the 8.Tongue
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I think the Storm ($5.50) are going to have a tough year. Croft will be a top halfback but you can't expect Cronk level in his first year. If Smith ever gets an injury that takes him out for a lot of weeks they won't make the 8.Tongue
Jesus big call that Tlaz. I'd be checking out the "miss top 8" market tonight at the end of the round if you rate that a chance.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 6:09pm
Don't like putting my head out too early - but gee - Parra are looking terribly pedestrian. Is there no end of the suffering for Eels supporters  LOL
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 8:28pm
Well done to the Kights and Panthers, great results, keep it going.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 5:49am
Parrathetic
EAD
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Well done to the Kights and Panthers, great results, keep it going.

Next week should be good carioca, Newcastle's new heroes Pearce, Watson and Guerra up against their old club.

Dont worry, the chocolate soldiers will remember who they really are soon enough LOL
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 9:38am
Cant help feeling for Ricky. That is, feeling "ecstatic" that he is 0 from 2 & lost both games that they should have won. Hopefully the trend will continue for him. Unfortunately the option of making a fortune by hijacking the game (refer Super League) is not an option anymore. Maybe Parra or Cronulla might have him back  LOL
Dont you just luv it when he screws his little face up  LOL
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 10:39am
Gee one one your post reminded me of the Doris Day song " Your mean to me, why must you be mean to me", ..gotta luv it.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 7:32pm
Good round of footy this weekend....starting with a great clash tomorrow night. Storm to bounce back in a tight one. Panthers should continue unbeaten , although I think the Tigers will struggle to maintain the dream. Rumour has it Parra can improve by upto 20 points. My value for the round is Gold Coast at home vs the Dragons. I think the Roosters will touch up the Roosters in a close one !!
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 7:45pm

Cant help feeling for Ricky. That is, feeling "ecstatic" that he is 0 from 2 & lost both games that they should have won. Hopefully the trend will continue for him. Unfortunately the option of making a fortune by hijacking the game (refer Super League) is not an option anymore. Maybe Parra or Cronulla might have him back  LOL
Dont you just luv it when he screws his little face up  LOL

its a wonder Ricky hasn't had a heart attack already. 2 winning leads thrown away and now a good chance of going down 3 zip against warriors
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 10:56pm
Melbourne were always going to bounce back, very rarely they play two bad ones in a row

Got pick the score and it payed well, outplayed $48 and the return was $408
EAD
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 11:22pm
Well done Tiger, slater looked covered wherever he went, taking awhile to hit his straps, at least that's how it looks to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 38>