Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NRL Season 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 38>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Has Reynolds got anything in his game besides kicking? There is a plethora of halfbacks in rugby league with no attacking nous.

Croft is already a far better halfback. Well done Storm in finding him and developing him.

No he hasn’t. He refuses to run the ball. Amazing goal kicker and bomber but that it.
Frankly, another one of 6 halves would have got us home
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Carioca - agree 100% - whilst i haven't watched a lot, can't even remember GI having an influence in a game this year. He almost played Euan Aitken into a SOO spot, when he played against the Dragons early in the season, and Aitken ain't that good!

Tlaz - also agree 100% - a smart half would have directed his attack at Cronk every play in the second half, and a good coach would have dragged him for notdoing so, assuming they were the instructions ... and why was Cronk cleaned up late, ONLY ONCE, and in front of the goal posts? Maybe Souths have too many dumb players and an inept coach.

Could be one of the worst rating GF's of all time ... wonder how many tickets they will need to give away? ... will it be like a GWS game at Spotless Stadium, where the cameramen are banned from filming from ground level, showing the empty seats?Embarrassed

You said it yourself

“whilst i haven't watched a lot”

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 7:44pm
With Slater in I would have to favour Storm.    With him out , I won't even watch the joke.
Hopefully Cronk recovers quickly, but a big ask after being helpless over the final stages yesterday.
He will be targeted big time.

Have we got a Ladies match on ?.    Give us something worth sinking a few XXXX in front of.
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 8:42pm
Storm are far from certs...roosters defence keeps them in game.. They should have win by 16 or so last night.. 0/4 kicks... If they win 20-4 we say what an impressive win
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Carioca - agree 100% - whilst i haven't watched a lot, can't even remember GI having an influence in a game this year. He almost played Euan Aitken into a SOO spot, when he played against the Dragons early in the season, and Aitken ain't that good!

Tlaz - also agree 100% - a smart half would have directed his attack at Cronk every play in the second half, and a good coach would have dragged him for notdoing so, assuming they were the instructions ... and why was Cronk cleaned up late, ONLY ONCE, and in front of the goal posts? Maybe Souths have too many dumb players and an inept coach.

Could be one of the worst rating GF's of all time ... wonder how many tickets they will need to give away? ... will it be like a GWS game at Spotless Stadium, where the cameramen are banned from filming from ground level, showing the empty seats?Embarrassed

You said it yourself

“whilst i haven't watched a lot”

Which was more than enough it seems!Dead

I actually had Souths right up there as the team to beat, after they gave the Dragons a touch up in round 10, since nobody else had. 

Funnily enough, they should have beaten The Fraud in week one of the finals - they blew that, and just struggled the past two.

In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

With Slater in I would have to favour Storm.    With him out , I won't even watch the joke.
Hopefully Cronk recovers quickly, but a big ask after being helpless over the final stages yesterday.

Have we got a Ladies match on ?.    Give us something worth sinking a few XXXX in front of.

3:40 pm - State Cup

NSW Premiers - Canterbury Bulldogs v QLD Premiers - Redcliffe Dolphins

Then a nice movie at the Gold Class Cinema with the missus!Big smile
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 9:05pm
Full credit to Souths, they gave 110%, everyone dug deep, they played for each other and their club, they did them proud, but the Roosters wanted it more, defense wins big games and they had it in spades, credit to Souths they left everything on the field, they were better than their record indicated and they played the full 80 minutes, they just came up short last night etc etc etc...
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 9:16pm
LOL ... translation - Souffs were gelati, and wouldn't have won a reserve grade game on that performance ... Rooters are unders at 10/1 next week if they play like they did.Wink
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 11:41pm

Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

3:40 pm - State Cup

NSW Premiers - Canterbury Bulldogs v QLD Premiers - Redcliffe Dolphins

Then a nice movie at the Gold Class Cinema with the missus!Big smile

Keen on Redcliffe next week.. $1.45 Dogs seems ridiculous! Due to the way QRL finals set up Redcliffe had bye week one, played week two, bye week 3, won GF... 2 games in a month... Dogs lost week one of finals them won next 3 in pretty close battles...got to be a huge advantage to Redcliffe.

Also keen on Chooks in women's if I can get 8.5 or so start. Think Brisbane won 14-4 when they played, I watched that game, Roosters bombed two tries early..Roosters made a few changes this week and spanked Dragons...Brisbane aren't over the line
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 8:17am

LOL ... translation - Souffs were gelati, and wouldn't have won a reserve grade game on that performance ... Rooters are unders at 10/1 next week if they play like they did.Wink

Translation 16 cliches in one sentence isn't bad.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 3:47pm
Up there!Clap
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 12:23am
Missus just reminded me that we won 2 tickets for the NRL GF at a fund raiser a few months back ... what a shame they weren't AFL tickets - what could I get for them!!!Cry

If someone wants them I'm prepared to let them go for $50 ... if that's not enough, I'm sorry, but I'm not prepared to offer more than $100 and I'll deliver them to your door with a slab ... LOL

Seriously, wasn't going unless the Dragons flummed a spot - just gave them to one of the kid's mates who's brother is playing for Bulldogs in the curtain raiser.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 3:03am
Surprised at you suggesting a movie with the Missus Doc.

Both wanting to play with the same toy causes problems.

The Storm win will make your day I expect
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 10:32am

Missus just reminded me that we won 2 tickets for the NRL GF at a fund raiser a few months back ... what a shame they weren't AFL tickets - what could I get for them!!!Cry

If someone wants them I'm prepared to let them go for $50 ... if that's not enough, I'm sorry, but I'm not prepared to offer more than $100 and I'll deliver them to your door with a slab ... LOL

Seriously, wasn't going unless the Dragons flummed a spot - just gave them to one of the kid's mates who's brother is playing for Bulldogs in the curtain raiser.

Is he going to sit by himself?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Is he going to sit by himself?

What?
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 8:18pm
Slater to get off.

Obviously I mean he will play
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 9:13pm
Apparently Slater has given 30 minutes of testimony (bullgelati), explaining how fast he is, and how he rushed across in defence, intended to tackle him ball and all, but when he got there, he shoulder charged him ... but it wasn't THAT KIND of shoulder charge!Stern Smile

Yep, if he gets off (in any way shape or form) I will not be watching the "Sham Final".Dead
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 9:18pm
Storm will sh1t in with or without him. Big smile
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 10:57pm
Charge overturned, Slater to play in GF.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 11:12pm
Disgusting.

Rules for some and rules for others.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 11:13pm
If people take their emotive opinion either way out of this, was what Billy Slater did dangerous in any way? In my opinion if the rules say that is worthy of suspension then the rules need changing, one could even argue that the way he did it was safer for both players than if he had tried to tackle him around the legs.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 11:15pm
Best news I’ve heard all day.
Correct decision IMO
Evidence was lacking
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 11:15pm
It was always going to be a no win situation.

Hopefully Cronk is able to be there .
Should be a top contest.
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 11:36pm
Old Teflon Billy hey..

Hope they get flogged
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

If people take their emotive opinion either way out of this, was what Billy Slater did dangerous in any way? In my opinion if the rules say that is worthy of suspension then the rules need changing, one could even argue that the way he did it was safer for both players than if he had tried to tackle him around the legs.

The rule may need changing but after its happened??

Over Slather now, as long as other arm half glances opponent...cmon Napa, destroy Billy
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 12:02am

The reason that the shoulder charge is illegal in the Laws of Rugby, is because it is deemed to be dangerous, as the attacking player does not have the opportunity to brace and defend himself from the impact - it is MOST dangerous when the player is "blindsided", rather than hit head on, as Fekki was. 

If you watch the tackle, and rather than looking at the impact, look at the result of the hit, Fekki is indeed smashed, and catapu;ted through the air, and is fortunate that as a wiger, they practice those acrobatic dives and falls in the modern game, and know how to fall. He still landed awkwardly, and could easily have been injured.

Had Slater completed a traditional ball and all or even tackled around the legs, his weight and body contact and position would actually make Fekki's impact with the ground far less dangerous. Simple physics.

So the position that the tackle is banned from a similar code is vindicated. It is also prohibited in AFL, and who gives a fcuk about soccer.

Notwithstanding that, I have always argued that the shoulder charge, affected properly, is an integral, exciting part of the game in NRL (so long as I'm not getting hit!), and should never have been made illegal.

It was ONLY some clumsy high shots that resulted in concussions that led to the typical knee jerk reaction of the morons who run the game, to make it illegal.

My reaction would have been, shoulder charge is fine, but any high contact and you cop a mandatory 8 week suspension (no points, early pleas, standard penalty) - simple - players make up their mind to try it, they better get it right!!!

IMO it should be legal, and if so, Bill Slaters execution would have been perfect, and applauded as a fantastic try saving play.

However, it is illegal, that was a shoulder charge without any shadow of doubt, he shoud have been suspended, and unsurprisingly, the NRL has just re-confirmed it's place as the greatest laughing stock in professional sport.Dead

I really don't care, but I predict that the game will be decided by the onfield official (Cameron Smith), and the Usual Suspects - Smith, Slater and Bellamy with the NRL complicit in condoning their cheating, will once again be the beneficiaries, at the expense of the fans of the game ... keep an eye out for brown paper bags changing hands ... I will boycott it, fcuk the pricks.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 7:35am
The problem is the NRL make to many rule changes in response to public opinion without considering the consequences. The spate of shoulder charges hitting high led to the ban on them without considering how it would impact a relatively safe defensive play. You'll never completely eliminate danger from the sport, it's impossible with any contact sport.

The new rule to penalize a player for deliberately passing the ball into a defender is the latest example, surely nobody thinks a rule where a defender being in the ruck and not attempting to move out of the dummy halfs way results in him getting a penalty is a good thing? (As happened in the Souths vs St George final)
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 8:43am
Of course he got off Disapprove
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 11:33am

The problem is the NRL make to many rule changes in response to public opinion without considering the consequences. The spate of shoulder charges hitting high led to the ban on them without considering how it would impact a relatively safe defensive play. You'll never completely eliminate danger from the sport, it's impossible with any contact sport.

The new rule to penalize a player for deliberately passing the ball into a defender is the latest example, surely nobody thinks a rule where a defender being in the ruck and not attempting to move out of the dummy halfs way results in him getting a penalty is a good thing? (As happened in the Souths vs St George final)

Afros, I’m sick and tired of coaches and players in all codes stuffing the game up by milking the rules

Let the refs decide what a penalty is. Deliberately throwing the ball into a layer in the ground is not in the spirit of the game.
I love the rule
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Of course he got off Disapprove

Who ?..not "gentle man" Sam Burgess lol, for taking out Cronk, that's not his style he'll be safe there with that one lol, btw Slater's charge was deemed " careless not "intentional", having said that the verdict was always going to be polarising whichever way it went , and btw Doc the recipient was Not blindsided, he Knew it was coming!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 38>