Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Training Fees

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training Fees
    Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 12:25pm
can anyone help with this for any state?

City

Provincial

Country
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 12:58pm
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 6:04pm
Anyone have a horse in work with Patrick Payne or Matt Cumani?

If so, would appreciate if you could pm me with details of their basic daily rates plus average pharmaceuticals, veterinary and other extras per month for a horse in full work.

Many thanks in anticipation.  Star

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 6:28pm
This might help?

https://mistable-files.s3.amazonaws.com/live/documents/49/2017/08/bff3c7b941feb3cae0f04c54d0520f0f83b6eb15.pdf
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 6:28pm
If that doesn’t work, try this http://patrickpayneracing.com.au/training-agreement
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 7:16pm
Cheers mate.  Star

However the link doesn't actually mention actual rates et al which is why we need someone on the ground to provide some info.
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 8:17pm
Alright forumites, can anyone give any credence to today's training fees, from City trainers, to provincial to country trainers.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 8:27pm
Per day charges
Stable Rent $
Transport to track $
Feed & Vitamins $
Trackwork rider $
Bedding and Waste Removal $
Labour for cleaning stables, saddling before training, washing horse after, grooming, afternoon walking etc ....hrs @ $25/hr
Not including accounting, marketing, licensing, insurance, bad debts etc.
Add up each category with conservative figures and you will get an answer. Can some trainers help?
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 8:27pm
Nope. No I can not but I just watched Daniel Bowman on "After The Last" and he basically confirmed that Darren Weir does not train the horses as I have always suspected.

Now just what are people paying for ?

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 8:28pm
Just scroll down  https://www.racing.com/
reductio ad absurdum
pnclick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnclick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 10:39pm
Saw that Djebel, and thought the same.... how would his owners feel based on the comment of Bowman. He basically said Weir gave him 25 horses to learn with and told him to train them himself... he made heaps of mistakes.. but it worked out in the end. 
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 11:55pm
Daniel Pinocchio bowman
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 4:05pm
I have a friend who has a 1000th of a promising 2yo, Zou Shack, with David Hayes. He pays $15 a month. The horse is divided into 500 shares. Thats $7500 a month. not bad money, for one horse.

Has won its two trials.

Nonetheless, absolute best of luck to Pete and hopefully the start of a wonderful journey!

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 11:04am
🤔

I needed to combine a few single post threads djebel & it's easier/quicker if I have it as the most recent post Wink However, I did forget to delete!

Edited by Gay3 - 06 Dec 2018 at 11:22am
reductio ad absurdum
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 2:02pm
Main problem trainers have is unity? If there was a set training fee and was enforced! They would have less problems. Maybe less trainers? But jockeys have managed to implement such a system and they do not undermine each other to get the good horse. It's ridiculous that a leading trainer can offer to train a horse for nothing because he likes that particular horse. And take back he's fee from prize money. That is why there are many trainers struggling. The big stables can play what ever game that suits them. Again RVL will do nothing. Same as none paying owners
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Straight arrow Straight arrow wrote:

Main problem trainers have is unity? If there was a set training fee and was enforced! They would have less problems. Maybe less trainers? But jockeys have managed to implement such a system and they do not undermine each other to get the good horse. It's ridiculous that a leading trainer can offer to train a horse for nothing because he likes that particular horse. And take back he's fee from prize money. That is why there are many trainers struggling. The big stables can play what ever game that suits them. Again RVL will do nothing. Same as none paying owners

That is not quite correct regarding jockeys. I remember a good class jockey wanting a lot more than the fee to ride our average steed.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 3:09pm
Anyone can ask! But they do not get it. It's against the rules of racing
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 3:11pm
Point I'm making? Top / middle/ bottom? All have to charge same fee. Owners have there own choice. Horse normally finds the jockey it deserves
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 3:19pm
Hayes and co are $125 a day. Agistment/spelling $27 a day We have a 5% share in a lovely brazen beau, we pay no more than $216 a month when she is in full training, and $88 - 100 whilst spelling.

Then we have another in country nsw , also 5%, that we pay $160 per month, wether the horse is in training or spelling :/ Not sure how that works.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by Straight arrow Straight arrow wrote:

That is not quite correct regarding jockeys. I remember a good class jockey wanting a lot more than the fee to ride our average steed.

Rubbish!...probably wanted 10% instead of the normal 5%, they all get paid the same rate unless they are on a retainer as well.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 3:56pm
I can tell you he demanded much more than a percentage. 
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 3:59pm
Jockeys have a flame race ridding fee! All are paid the same!! All jockeys get paid 5% of all pri money. Upto owners to give more if they like. But most trainers will try to talk owner out of paying extra!! Why?? Because they do not like it!
Hazyview View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazyview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 6:43pm
City training costs are $60k a year nowadays, that's the right benchmark to work from. Not much individual difference between trainers.
The Insider View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Insider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Batman Batman wrote:

Per day charges
Stable Rent $
Transport to track $
Feed & Vitamins $
Trackwork rider $
Bedding and Waste Removal $
Labour for cleaning stables, saddling before training, washing horse after, grooming, afternoon walking etc ....hrs @ $25/hr
Add up each category with conservative figures and you will get an answer. Can some
trainers help?

Per day charges
Stable Rent $11
Transport to track $10
Feed & Vitamins $20
Trackwork rider $20
Bedding and Waste Removal $5
Labour for cleaning stables, saddling before training, washing horse after, grooming, afternoon walking etc .2.5...hrs @ $25/hr =$62.50
Add up each category with conservative figures and you will get $128.50.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:09pm
Are there any full time strappers left in the industry or are they all p/t, if so any one know the going rate p/w for both, we never looked at the clock and most regimented stables were the same , you had a system and you worked to it or out the gate you went, plenty of good strappers in my day and all full time apart from the odd pensioner who was p/t.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:03pm
Racing and Prizemoney , racing and cost of yearlings , racing and punting turnover, is completely out of whack compared to racing and wages!! There is quite a few jobs being paid as unskilled workers fee!! When they need very skilled / highly skilled people to carry out the task!! Track riders just one that stands out like a sore thumb?? Barrier attendants?? It's a strange industry how parts are in near poverty and parts are for unbelievable wealth. Why it was called sport of kings I suppose. Ironic how a lot has never changed!! Remarkable actually?
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Are there any full time strappers left in the industry or are they all p/t, if so any one know the going rate p/w for both, we never looked at the clock and most regimented stables were the same , you had a system and you worked to it or out the gate you went, plenty of good strappers in my day and all full time apart from the odd pensioner who was p/t.

You and I are about the same age Carioca, I'm just about to put my toe back in the water after another lifetime spent in the corporate world, owning horses yes, but not training them, well, the early mornings are about to start again. We have closed our global marketing company, we also operated a travel company in Africa, so, now I'm looking for trackwork riders and strappers instead of Rhino's!.....they will be as scarce as hens teeth I'm guessing, we will only have 6 horses to kick off with, so a great job for someone looking for a stress free environment. There are many full time strappers, they get paid remarkably well compared to what we got back in the 70's, many take home well over 1000k a week after tax if they do a few racedays....I'd love a pensioner part timer and a reliable track rider, an old jock would be best, but Buckleys of that, so here goes......
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:10am
I meant to say, we own 14 horses, we bred most, if I had to pay a trainer? well, we are no Lloyd Williams or Kerry Packer here, so I'll do it myself....as I did all those years ago, are these young bucks as good as Bart Cummings/Colin Hayes/Lee Freedman....my next door neighbours back then, well, we are about to find out.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

I meant to say, we own 14 horses, we bred most, if I had to pay a trainer? well, we are no Lloyd Williams or Kerry Packer here, so I'll do it myself....as I did all those years ago, are these young bucks as good as Bart Cummings/Colin Hayes/Lee Freedman....my next door neighbours back then, well, we are about to find out.

Maybe look for a smaller trainer starting out or looking to boost numbers - combined effort goes a long way! Where are you looking to train?
to the victor
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 10:05am
Dont think he is looking for more, Linghi.  Just doing his own I think.
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>