Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Australian Open Tennis 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

Good luck guys, you are certainly getting a great run for money.

Both Dimitrov & Wozniaki appears to be getting better as the tournament goes on which is obviously a positive. Still big hurdles to get over though - Svitolina & Kerber + Nadal & Federer. In for another 2 days at least though.

For sure mate, but you are still alive and kicking well into the second week. Well done, and fingers crossed.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 11:48pm
Wow, what a game!

You’ve certainly given me a run for my money E&E, tremendous to get both players this far without being knocked out, indeed we’ve had a few very close moments!

The second week now will be a lot tougher however we’re in there with a live chance. I am actually flying down there Thursday - Sunday to take in the tennis, races etc with a group of mates. I noticed the heat is also going to be turned on later in the week in Melbourne!

Bring it on .... 👍

Cheers Saintly, fingers & toes crossed
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:26am
oops

ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 9:27pm
Couple of upsets this evening. Thiem gone beaten by Sandgren. Don’t actually consider that a massive upset though even though Thiem was 1.08. He’s not a hard court player and it wasn’t a hard decision to take Sandgren in the William Hill chase the ace promo.

Djoker on life supper against Chung too. Again probably not a massive upset TBH but I didn’t back him.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 9:28pm
Have not seen much of the tennis , how good is Chung playing ?
Amazing retrieval , gets to apparent winners, is off balance ,but manages to get them back in play.
Out Djokoving Djokovic
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Have not seen much of the tennis , how good is Chung playing ?
Amazing retrieval , gets to apparent winners, is off balance ,but manages to get them back in play.
Out Djokoving Djokovic

He’s another great young player. If he could close out sets on serve here he’d have just about wrapped it up already.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 9:56pm
Djokovic obviously hampered by elbow injury, great advantage to know where your opponents serve is going
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 7:59am
Djokovic needs more rehab on the elbow. No point playing the way he is now.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 12:04pm
On to the Qtr Finals now so all starting to heat up. Today Dimitrov first up with the men against Edmund. Working into form nicely now and would expect him to win here. Doubt Edmund will be a pushover though. Nadal v Cilic tonight should be a cracker. I give Cilic a big chance here and have backed him on William Hill Chase the ace promo. If he serves big he can take this game away from Nadal for sure.

Dimitrov in 4
Cilic in 4 or 5.

On the women’s we have Svitolina and Wozniaki short priced favourites in each match. Don’t know much about the other players so won’t give any tip other than to say I would love to see Svitolina beaten and Wozniaki to dominate.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 1:18pm
Been some top tennis.

Chung is 21 ( I think )   what a future.

Federer makes it look SO easy ...

My biggest shock was the money they get .   almost half a million to the quarter finals ...       That's big dollars aye.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 1:29pm
I have no interest in the game. However,  just been googling famous dead tennis players & began wondering if good tennis players can be short & or fat ? Physical stature of all sports folk has always fascinated me.
Refer ALP Election Promises
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 2:19pm
Don't know about dead 1-1 , but Rosewall, Hoad, Borg, even Laver and the bloke who married Steffi were never endowed with height fwiw.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 2:30pm
Wozniacki has the draw to reach the final now, it has opened up nicely for her.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 2:31pm

On to the Qtr Finals now so all starting to heat up. Today Dimitrov first up with the men against Edmund. Working into form nicely now and would expect him to win here. Doubt Edmund will be a pushover though. Nadal v Cilic tonight should be a cracker. I give Cilic a big chance here and have backed him on William Hill Chase the ace promo. If he serves big he can take this game away from Nadal for sure.

Dimitrov in 4
Cilic in 4 or 5.

On the women’s we have Svitolina and Wozniaki short priced favourites in each match. Don’t know much about the other players so won’t give any tip other than to say I would love to see Svitolina beaten and Wozniaki to dominate.

Svitolina beaten in straight sets including a 6-0 hammering in the 2nd. She was in the same side as Wozniaki so this helps considerably.

Next up Dimitrov.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 4:54pm

Dimitrov in 4
Cilic in 4 or 5.

Svitolina beaten in straight sets including a 6-0 hammering in the 2nd. She was in the same side as Wozniaki so this helps considerably.

Next up Dimitrov.

In a spot of bother here. Edmund up 2 sets to 1.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 5:46pm

Dimitrov in 4
Cilic in 4 or 5.

Next up Dimitrov.

Well we had a decent run Rosscoe but unfortunately Dimitrov couldn’t quite get it done. Didn’t see be match but from following it online it looked like he just didn’t serve well at all. Shame we couldn’t quite make it until you get down there. Oh well, next year.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 9:06pm

Dimitrov in 4
Cilic in 4 or 5.

Next up Dimitrov.

Well we had a decent run Rosscoe but unfortunately Dimitrov couldn’t quite get it done. Didn’t see be match but from following it online it looked like he just didn’t serve well at all. Shame we couldn’t quite make it until you get down there. Oh well, next year.

Never mind E&E, you gave us a great run for our money! Not sure who will be playing who on Thursday when I’m down there but looking forward to it.

Keep an eye on Soul Star (a filly I part-own, been nominated for Caulfield Saturday,,, needs to draw an alley to start). A small e/w if she accepts.
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
MJB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 1:43am
How blessed is Roger?

All his main dangers have either succumbed to injury or were returning from injury and obviously severely disadvantaged.

Rafa, Novak, Stan etc

Not to mention Andy didn't make the trip down here this year.

And Federer also cleaned up with the scheduling. It's just meant to be for him. Everything is falling into place.

On form, you would think Berdych would put up some fight but this match up in the past few years has been a non contest. Federer just toys with him. I remember they played here last year and it was over in a blink of an eye. It's a strange one because Berdych used to trouble prime Fed. But it hasn't happened for a few years now.

It's Fed's grand slam to lose obviously. The $1.70 on offer is stealing money.

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 2:11am
I took E&E's tip, and was riding the Dimitrov/Wozniaki double (bad luck!). Happy to have saved on Federer at $3, and agree with everything you just said MJB ... haven't really watched much but hope to be watching the finals with a financial interest!
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 10:41am
Poor Rafa. Dont worry mate get another course of roids and you'll bounce back
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 10:48am
was very disappointing, I was his no 1 fan. Bit rough to say he is on roids, accusations with no backup

this says it all :

When a similar argument was raised about injuries last year, the world No. 1's position received little support from rival Roger Federer.

"Shave 10 years off our age, and we probably will do better," Federer said in November last year at the ATP World Tour finals when asked about another Nadal injury.

"A lot of the guys are just touching 30 plus. Back in the day, at 30, a lot of guys were retiring. Edberg, Sampras, it was, like, normal at 29, 32, to start looking towards the end of your career. Now you guys expect everybody to play till 36.

"When somebody is injured at 31, it's like, 'Oh, my God, how is this possible?' Actually, it's a normal thing.

"If either you retire or you take a sufficient break so when you do come back you maybe have another few years left again because you really made sure your rehab is good. So I think for the most part it's age, coincidence.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

was very disappointing, I was his no 1 fan. Bit rough to say he is on roids, accusations with no backup

this says it all :

When a similar argument was raised about injuries last year, the
world No. 1's position received little support from rival Roger Federer.

"Shave
10 years off our age, and we probably will do better," Federer said in
November last year at the ATP World Tour finals when asked about another
Nadal injury.

"A lot of the guys are just touching 30 plus. Back
in the day, at 30, a lot of guys were retiring. Edberg, Sampras, it was,
like, normal at 29, 32, to start looking towards the end of your
career. Now you guys expect everybody to play till 36.

"When somebody is injured at 31, it's like, 'Oh, my God, how is this possible?' Actually, it's a normal thing.

"If
either you retire or you take a sufficient break so when you do come
back you maybe have another few years left again because you really made
sure your rehab is good. So I think for the most part it's age,
coincidence.

What was most disappointing was William Hill not paying out the 4.2 I took about Cilic because they refund all bets on a retirement.

Consolation was Cilic still trading at 1.5 on Betfair just prior to the 5th set beginning when it was obvious Nadal was done. Was happy to take a piece of it.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 11:22am
Good one  E + E Smile
MJB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 2:15am
I'm confident Kerber wins the women's. Wozniacki and Halep are simply non winners. They've both had chances before to win a slam and they've blown it. Some girls just haven't got what it takes to go all the way. Radwanska is the same and Elena Dementieva is another example from yesteryear that comes to mind.

Kerber has done it here before, knows what it takes to win, will be the strongest mentally (don't underestimate how important this is in the women's game). I also really like the fact she's thrashed Sharapova and Keys. You don't often see those girls get comprehensively beaten.

Get on the Federer-Kerber double.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 8:24pm
Well the two non-winners Wozniaki & Halep are through to the final on Saturday. Should be a good match up. Rosscoe did you by any chance back Dimitrov & Wozniaki individually as well? $15 about her pre-tournament would be looking good now.

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 1:49am
That betting rule appears most unfair.

Back yourself for 100 million and if you look beaten ,     call the bet off by an injury ..       Surely not .     Nadal was gone for all money.
    Be great to see the young Korean man win ,      BUT Roger makes it look too easy.     He is a freak at 36.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 1:59am

Well the two non-winners Wozniaki & Halep are through to the final on Saturday. Should be a good match up. Rosscoe did you by any chance back Dimitrov & Wozniaki individually as well? $15 about her pre-tournament would be looking good now.

I've got my fingers crossed.

Still have Federer & Wozniaki @ $36 alive - got your tip to thank if it comes in!

Amazing that the women's final is the 1 & 2 seeds, yet neither has won a major.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

That betting rule appears most unfair.

Back yourself for 100 million and if you look beaten ,     call the bet off by an injury ..       Surely not .     Nadal was gone for all money.
    Be great to see the young Korean man win ,      BUT Roger makes it look too easy.     He is a freak at 36.

Yes it is garbage and the situation you describe is one of the reasons most places changed their rules a few years back. Betfair for example is all bets stand once the 1st set is complete. Which is why I jumped on Cilic at the beginning of the 5th. Nadal was not winning the match. It was either he completes it and gets beaten or he retires.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 4:50pm
It is all coming out now .

It's all Australia's fault.

A nice story about the love life of the Federer family starting and becoming ongoing with Oz trips in early days.
Appears she was running a racquet that had her reach the 3 rd round of a majors , but had some foot problems that didn't help her Tennis.
BUT being able to keep Roger to love games has resulted in a happy ever after story for the Family of the GOD of Tennis .   Roger.

Might be a record too ,   His only two serves that aced the pretty one
resulted in Twins X 2 .
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 11:00pm
What a tough match the Ladies Final.
   One of the best sporting clashes I have ever witnessed.
So competitive , consistent rallies and just about 3 hours on Court.

3 sets and it wasn't until the final rally that the result was known.
A hard act to follow for the Men tomorrow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>