Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Australian Open Tennis 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 10:45pm
Both Dimitrov & Wozniaki go around tomorrow also. Keeping an eye on both for the double mentioned earlier in the thread.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Both Dimitrov & Wozniaki go around tomorrow also. Keeping an eye on both for the double mentioned earlier in the thread.

Dimitrov up shortly.
Wozniaki tonight and have just seen that she is playing the losing finalist from Hobart last week. She’s a heavy favourite but could potentially be a close match. Let’s see.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 2:49pm
The Yankee women are struggling today. Sliane Stephens and Venus Williams are out. Coco down a set and a break.

Bencic, could be a knockout hope. Now takes William's no. 5 seed spot in tbe draw, could make a decent run from here. Had a great end to last season after returning from injury, and has had a decent summer so far.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 6:41pm

Young Bernard Tomic once boasted he would have the “heart of Hewitt, the groundstrokes of Federer, the mind of Sampras”. He achieved none of that. But he did manage to develop the personality of a complete sweetheart.

Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 6:42pm
sweetheart ?  LOL   I think he means deek head.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

sweetheart ?  LOL   I think he means deek head.

What a pity .       Such talent wasted .
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 6:52pm
And there it is......the obligatory Stosur choke.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

Young Bernard Tomic once boasted he would have the “heart of Hewitt, the groundstrokes of Federer, the mind of Sampras”. He achieved none of that. But he did manage to develop the personality of a complete sweetheart.

As Team Hewitt tells it, several phone calls were made to Tomic, his father and an IMG agent on the Saturday evening, asking if Tomic would hit at 1pm the following day.

There was no response, but the 16-year-old was present when Hewitt arrived to practise, his physiotherapist Ivan Gutierrez making the approach to the Tomic entourage.

''We turned up and saw the Tomics around and we thought, 'Oh, maybe they got our message, and they were there to hit with Lleyton','' Drysdale said, ''so Ivan went over to Bernard's trainer at the time, Rudy [Sopko] and said 'Is Bernard here to hit?'. Rudy knew nothing of it but said 'Look, Bernard's looking for a practice partner and I think Bernard would like to do it', but then the agent came in and said, 'No, he's not hitting with Lleyton, Lleyton's not good enough'.

''They were his words: 'Lleyton's not good enough' and we just about dropped on the spot. We were pretty dumbfounded. Lleyton just could not believe it, and the more he thought about it the angrier he got about it.''

Salting the wound was a subsequent conversation with Spain's Juan Carlos Ferrero at courtside. ''Ivan asked if he was available to practise at one o'clock and Juan Carlos said, 'No, no, I've got a practice partner, but that young Australian kid Tomic, he just came and asked me to hit, why don't you ask him?','' Drysdale said.

''Then we told Juan Carlos what had happened and his coach said that if a leading player in Spain asked a junior to practise and the junior said no, that he would never get to hit with a senior player again, they would make sure he had all his funding and support from the national federation cut and that he would be, in the coach's words, 'strung up from a tree by his balls'.''

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2009/09/16/1252780358791.html

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

The Yankee women are struggling today. Sliane Stephens and Venus Williams are out. Coco down a set and a break.

Bencic, could be a knockout hope. Now takes William's no. 5 seed spot in tbe draw, could make a decent run from here. Had a great end to last season after returning from injury, and has had a decent summer so far.

Men too. Isner gone (tipped above) and Sock about to join him in a cab to Melbourne airport.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:30pm
Sloane Stephens hasn't won a match since the US Open.
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 8:24pm
hoping millman can build on his first round win - dont know the draw but with question marks on the top seeds i reckon  he can go on with it
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

hoping millman can build on his first round win - dont know the draw but with question marks on the top seeds i reckon  he can go on with it

Millman plays Dzumhur who got through in 5 sets after being down 2-0. Probably fairly even in betting at a guess. Maybe Millman a slight favourite. Unfortunately if he gets through that he will almost certainly play Nadal in the 3rd round.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:08pm
I'm no tennis judge but it appears Sam Stosur would be a good Lay ( pardon the pun )
JoanFerguson View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoanFerguson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

I'm no tennis judge but it appears Sam Stosur would be a good Lay ( pardon the pun )

She’s got more balls than Tomix
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by JoanFerguson JoanFerguson wrote:

I'm sure you mean Tom Mix !
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 12:43am

Obvious , but any port in a storm at my place.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 12:54am

BTW Joan = Welcome to Joffs.     Your sense of Humour very welcome.

All you need now is sign up to the LNP , Support Trump and yr on the payroll.
( Don't dare ask what the rewards are ) BUT our booby prize is a :-

Free Service to Whale.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 9:39am
Profitable day yesterday. Didn’t even up on the Anderson match but was on Harrison instead. Lost here when forced to trade out when he was down 2-1, however won all and more back on Cilic and a couple of others later in the day.

Dimitrov extremely impressive. Dismantled his opponent and was basically breaking him for fun. Nothing has changed my opinion that he is a major contender here. Wozniaki through in straight sets also. She was broken a few times. Probably the norm in the women’s game but would obviously prefer her to be solid on serve. She’s still in it up to her ears though.

On to day 2:

Don’t mind Bautista-Agut first up this morning. Mainly as a trading proposition. Won Auckland last week beating Del Potro in the final.

Kokkinakis also. He plays the winner of the Sydney tournament. However I feel like Kokkinakis will bring more power than he faced in Sydney which will make it tougher for him.

Possible upsets: Raonic probably the first that comes to mind. On the comeback after an injury plagued 2017. Was beaten by de Minaur in Brisbane in his 1st match of the year. That looks better form 2 weeks later but at around 1.15 I’d be happy to risk him.

Speaking of de Minaur he takes on Berdych. Hard one to pick with both players being on complete opposite stages of their careers. Berdych is on a downward slide but he brings a lot of power and if on song should win. Big if though. Tough match and happy to watch.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 9:50am
I know Wawrinka is on the comeback from injury, but the price available was too good to ignore. Have put him in various multi's. He would usually be about 1.04 to defeat Berankis, not the 1.60 offered.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 11:35am
It will be interesting to see how Kyrgio's very recent nice-guy demeanour holds up under pressure.

Can you turn the damn American spellchecker off at account level or at site level? I am sick of getting words redlined.

Faaark- it just redlined redlined!LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 8:45am
Djokovic and Nadal both looked sharp against no-names despite their light preparations for the tournament.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 9:39am
Lost on day 2 thanks to Bautista-Agut copping hiding. Did lay off after he lost the 1st set though so damage limits. Same story with Steve Johnson after he went down 2 sets to 1. Did have Raonic getting beaten though so some consolation.

Day 3 looks another cracker with several of the big names up again. Don’t particularly like anything that isn’t very short. However will possibly trade the Shapovalov/Tsonga game.

For an upset perhaps Ruud to beat Schwartzman.

Dimitrov and Wozniaki going around again so will be looking for good performances from them both.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 11:06am
Stan got a bit shaky in the third set, but finished it off well, had in a few multi's which made for a decent win.

Seppi defeated Kyrgios last year, and I think he should make it to the third round, odds of 1.65 is nice, if you once again put him in a few of your multi's.

Tsongs is taking on a young gun in Shapovalov, but the 1.60 was too good to ignore. Tough match, but the Frenchman should get through.

Good luck if you are having a punt.
Sworn Revenge View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sworn Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 11:30am
Tried watching Ash Barty last night but had to turn off due to the unbearable screeching from her opponent. Thankfully read this morning that AB despatched her. Now if someone can hurry up and beat that other squawking heinous cheating harpy Sharapova the world will be a better place
It's only called gambling when you lose
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Sworn Revenge Sworn Revenge wrote:

Tried watching Ash Barty last night but had to turn off due to the unbearable screeching from her opponent. Thankfully read this morning that AB despatched her. Now if someone can hurry up and beat that other squawking heinous cheating harpy Sharapova the world will be a better place

Same here, was awful last night, she has to be stopped, she is going to be a top 20 player in the future, so another decade or so of that just isn't appealing.

One thing I haven't missed in the last 18 months, is Sharapova screaming with every shot.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 2:49pm
Tsonga is in deep trouble. The young Canadian is outplaying him big time.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 4:26pm

Shapovalov is very very good. I know, I watched him dismantle Tsonga and my money in straight sets at the US Open in August!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 4:29pm
Wow! Wow! Wow!

Just as I was preparing to come on and write Woziaki’s obituary she has a comeback for the ages!

Opponent serving in the 3rd at 5-1 40-15. Somehow she saves 2 match points and goes in to win the next 6 games straight to win the set and match 7-5. Don’t know if there was an injury involved or anything else but wow!Unbelievable!

My Dimitrov/Wozniaki double lives at least a little bit longer. You would have to suspect she will need to improve significantly to win the title though.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Shapovalov is very very good. I know, I watched him dismantle Tsonga and my money in straight sets at the US Open in August!

Back on serve in the 5th now though. Anyone’s match.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 7:05pm
Starting to think Djokovic will win again this year.Tongue

Women's- I have no idea who will win.Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>