Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Ashes Summer 2017-2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 12:31pm
Take a photo of that scorecard!

Khawaja, Marsh, Marsh tons, Smith and Warner miss out ... NEVER see that again!

Bat for an hour after lunch at T20 pace, then declare.

Starc and Havelwood will have "3 before tea"!Wink 
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 12:49pm
The Oz players are not troubled on the wicket so the Poms won't be .

DRAW ...    Smiths fault.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 1:01pm
Macca, they will be exhausted. They will collapse.

Lyon will rip through them.

Starc will not be needed.
reductio ad absurdum
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

What's he done wrong in your eyes ?
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

What's he done wrong in your eyes ?

Nothing Shrunk ..        I'm just throwing a line in .

I've caught 2 already.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 3:59pm
I don't know about the rest of you but I find these score a thousand runs and grind them into the ground type tests to be about as exciting as a dentist visit, luckily my neighbour is painting his house so I could go watch that dry instead.

I'm not sure how they could go about it but we need wickets with more life in them that produce compelling contests instead of these made for channel 9 bore-athons where the commentators switch between banging on about how our current batsmen are the best ever and flogging off rubbish merchendise about how their predecessors were the best ever for the price of a Sydney apartment.

For mine a good test wicket keeps all 4 possible results realistic until sometime into the 4th innings, this and the Melbourne test had at best 2 possible results by about mid way through day 3.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 4:04pm
England are ROOTed
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 4:07pm
The only thing that might make the cricket interesting, is a directional microphone to pick up the sledges, but the poms are that bad, there is no need to sledge them !
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 4:07pm
Don't like Test Cricket? ... don't watch!

If you don't appreciate the history and subtleties of the game, there's T20 every night, ODI series starts in 6 days, plenty for every taste I would have thought. 

There's horse racing on Sky!Thumbs Up
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 4:13pm
Some people ARE hard to please.

Last 3 years, Australia has played 36 tests (including this one) ... 31 results, 5 drawn.

Stop booking tickets for the 5th day of test matches!!!Wink
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 4:17pm
I love test cricket when it's a compelling contest Dr E, hard to enjoy these bore-athon run fests that are won by crushing the opponent with scoreboard pressure and like I said I'm watching the neighbours paint dry, a much more compelling contest then this test is the one here between wet paint and sun!

I just wish cricket Australia could move away from using sections of the M1 as drop in test pitches.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 4:28pm
Part of the problem is that the Poms don't have a Test Class bowling attack, and after being down 3-0 they are just going through the motions.

Australia played poorly in Melbourne, and had their best bowler out ... doesn't take much to swing the pendulum.

... but that is what you get with Test cricket, and always have, that is why we have the other formatts.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 4:39pm
I am sure it will be different in 2 years time over there
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Of course it will be different. U Silly old moo.

It's on the other side of the equator and will be full of Pommies.   
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 4:42pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 4:43pm

Of course it will be different. U Silly old moo.

It's on the other side of the equator and will be full of Pommies.   

Other than that...LOL
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 4:46pm
Jokes aside ...    My heart bleeds for any one from Europe being exposed to this Australian heat wave.
The Poms must be Oxygen starved & in real distress.    I'll bet our own construction workers had the day off.
A medal for showing up.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 4:48pm
Bad luck for them there is no RSPCA for pommie cricketers. They would have called it off on a bulb test and put them all under a cols shower. First tub in months for some of them
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 5:52pm
Lyons figures against right handers is astonishing.
reductio ad absurdum
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 6:01pm
It can only be described as an "anti-spectacle".
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 6:02pm
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

I love test cricket when it's a compelling contest Dr E, hard to enjoy these bore-athon run fests that are won by crushing the opponent with scoreboard pressure and like I said I'm watching the neighbours paint dry, a much more compelling contest then this test is the one here between wet paint and sun!

I just wish cricket Australia could move away from using sections of the M1 as drop in test pitches.

Couldn't agree more. The game is already tilted too far in favour of batsmen- lightning fast outfields and modern bats and defensive pushes are boundaries these days. But our blokes (struggle as they might overseas), can rely on custom built pitches back home.

But of course the powers that be (CA, stadiums, TV networks ) want five days. These roads they're serving up make it almost a certainty.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 6:32pm

Jokes aside ...    My heart bleeds for any one from Europe being exposed to this Australian heat wave.
The Poms must be Oxygen starved & in real distress.    I'll bet our own construction workers had the day off.
A medal for showing up.

macca, they are professional cricketers, they follow the sun all year round, closest they get to winter is a test series in England in the middle of their summer! LOL

Dry heat in Sydney today, extra drinks breaks, no excuses ... they would do it tougher on a tour of the subcontinent.

... and they are Pommies, so, no mercy!Wink
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Couldn't agree more. The game is already tilted too far in favour of batsmen- lightning fast outfields and modern bats and defensive pushes are boundaries these days. But our blokes (struggle as they might overseas), can rely on custom built pitches back home.

But of course the powers that be (CA, stadiums, TV networks ) want five days. These roads they're serving up make it almost a certainty.

Cricket Australia know that outside of the Ashes the general public show no more then a passing interest in how the test side is going when playing away, the game is really propped up by the Ashes series and now the Big Bash league and also home India series. You've hit the nail on the head with mentioning tv networks, 9 love a test that can stretch into the 5th day although the grounds don't like it it's thought as they usually run day 5 at a loss with the costs and crowds that attend.

I think 4 day tests are the way forward with more overs in a day, Friday to Monday. Day night tests will also be the way forward as it lends itself to in ground and tv spectators better. Also ditching the toss and giving the visiting side the bat or bowl choice would likely encourage home sides to produce more even wickets.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 7:13pm
Talking of 4 day tests which some are suggesting, South Africa played Zimbabwe in a"trial" 4 day test last month.

Didn't prove much as SA won in 2 days.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 7:16pm
5 days is perfect
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 9:19pm

Thanks.

How about this series ?

I am glad you posted that cause I was curious.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 9:21pm
That includes today. cricinfo update all records in real time
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 9:21am
Joe is Rooted, taken to hospital with severe dehydration, and it is uncertain whether he will resume batting
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 9:33am

Joe is Rooted, taken to hospital with severe dehydration, and it is uncertain whether he will resume batting

Is inhuman to make them play in those conditions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>