Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Ashes Summer 2017-2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ashes Summer 2017-2018
    Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 10:54am
reductio ad absurdum
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 11:00am
Australia squad for first two Ashes Test:

David Warner, Cameron Bancroft, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith (capt), Peter Handscomb, Shaun Marsh, Tim Paine, Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon, Jackson Bird, Chadd Sayers.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 11:00am
Test selectors throwing more darts than Weir.
reductio ad absurdum
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 5:00pm
Don't mind the bowling line-up.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by stayer stayer wrote:

Don't mind the bowling line-up.

LOL

Even the selectors could not stuff that one up. 
reductio ad absurdum
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 6:12pm
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 8:52pm
Trevor Hohns excuse for picking Shaun Marsh is he's in career best form, guess he neglected to mention the photo's of several high profile people in CA in compromising positions. I guess Jake Lehmann and George Bailey (similar season aggregates and averages) must also be in career best form and next in line following Hohna logic.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 8:59pm
Hohns must be getting long in the tooth himself. Lived across the street from me at one time, I'm guessing mid 60's
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:54pm
Why are Australia 1.4 to win this series? People are blowing up about how bad the side is yet they are still heavy favourites. Why?

I barely follow the sport these days so really have no idea here.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:56pm
Because Englands batting is less than ours and we have 4 world class bowlers to their 2.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Because Englands batting is less than ours and we have 4 world class bowlers to their 2.

So it’s battle of the no-hopers then?
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 9:20am
The series hasn't caught either side at a good time, Englands batting looks brittle outside of Cook, Root and perhaps Bairstow, Stoneman and Malan have got runs in the tour games but against pop gun attacks, of their bowlers Anderson and Broad are class on their day but there has tp be doubts if Anderson can play all 5 tests at full tilt, the bowling behind them has potential but is fairly unproven, Mason Crane is interesting but surely they don't throw him in early in the series and risk ruining his confidence early in his career. Ali will likely bat 7 with 4 quicks below him and be the spinner, this would also allow them to use Anderson in shorter spells. If they get Stokes back they'll be a chance but I doubt that'll happen.

Australia's side isn't one of the great runs but they still have proven runs (Khawaja, Smith, Warner) potential and current form in Bancroft and Handscombe and a dead weight in Marsh. Starc, Cummins and Hazelwood will be to good for Englands new guys in home conditions.

I reckon if England don't make a good go of it in Brisbane the series could be over before boxing day as their confidence will drop quickly.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 1:37pm
Guess Tim Paine's batting average over the series. I'll go 14.50
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:43am
Starts today....green top, Australia putting an excellent GABBA record against England on the line. First session vital, not only for this match, but potentially for the whole series.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:49am
Maxwell expected to play in place of Marsh in the First Test 

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:50am
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:57am
Totally missed this thread.

A GABBA green top, and an excellent GABBA record against England on the line.

First session vital.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:59am
Some, but very little rain predicted for the last 3 days should just keep the air moist and make this an early finish, Australia's seamers should have a picnic at the Gabba this weekend, I reckon. 
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 10:25am
i was a cricket tragic as a kid. played, lived and breathed it every summer.

lost me through the 90's. will watch a few overs here and there...cmon aussie.

JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 10:31am
Cricket’s lost me. Sport’s been totally corrupted. Too much meaningless hit and giggle stuff, to the detriment of the peak form of the game. Interesting watching American pro sports, and despite the staggering amounts of money in the games they’ve remained true to their formats. The flood of money into the game is killing cricket.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 10:47am
Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

Rubbish.

I’m the same. Watched everything as a kid and played a bit too despite being rubbish.
Towards the last 2000s I started to lose a bit of interest. Perhaps it was not having as much spare time as I got older combined with the other factors you mention. I don’t know. To me cricket reached the peak in that 2005 Ashes series and has been downhill since. Still, I would love to be there today with a few mates getting on the beers.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 11:30am
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

Rubbish.

I’m the same. Watched everything as a kid and played a bit too despite being rubbish.
Towards the last 2000s I started to lose a bit of interest. Perhaps it was not having as much spare time as I got older combined with the other factors you mention. I don’t know. To me cricket reached the peak in that 2005 Ashes series and has been downhill since. Still, I would love to be there today with a few mates getting on the beers.

In the same boat myself, slowly have dropped off the game, maybe age dunno , but I do recall one year at the Royal Easter Show ( many a year ago) Bill Lawrie would come out at intervals and do a session in the nets for the patrons, my favourites were slasher McKay and Peter burge, both Queenslanders.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 12:43pm
for me, the game really changed. it became a massive business, and even one day internationals became boring and scripted. batsman 'worked their way towards 70 runs, hitting 5 singles on the last over. not only that...their seemed to be an international tourmament every few months. it was non stop cricket and results seemed to mean little if a new tournament was only a week away. the whole 'care factor' was lost. and so was i...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

my favourites were slasher McKay and Peter burge, both Queenslanders.

Great players, but got nothing out of it financially. In fact, it would have cost them money, bosses don't want people who are wanting time off for other priorities. Both died relatively young.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 1:52pm
South Africa.... sorry I mean England to win 3/2
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

my favourites were slasher McKay and Peter burge, both Queenslanders.

Great players, but got nothing out of it financially. In fact, it would have cost them money, bosses don't want people who are wanting time off for other priorities. Both died relatively young.

was julian weiner a queenslander? i had his cricket card or sticker...im thinking qld or sth aussie. ????
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 1:58pm
Never heard of him, cabo.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 2:00pm
Weiner was from Melbourne according to Wikipedia
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Xavier Xavier wrote:

Weiner was from Melbourne according to Wikipedia

cheers. blonde haired batsman max, shield cricketer, mcdonalds cup...he may have played 1 or 2 tests for australia. sth african background???...i was only about 7 yrs old.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 3:20pm
That rain interruption was an anomaly, a small rain cloud and nothing else in sight for miles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>