Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2018 Melbourne Cup 3200m Group 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 27>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 7:53pm
A deeper glance will show you that the corporates are doin* the same thing
TOLEDO View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOLEDO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 3:12pm
I dont know about the corporates but with TAB if you bet on a horse that isnt nominated you get your cash back. Still not great that they have horses that are retired but it probably an information issue rather than an attempt to steal cash
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 6:54pm
I see one of OTI'S Chelkar failed overnight in Ireland.

The time looked okay, and the winner Uradel defeated his Willie Mullins stablemate Liminia, who is onwed in the same interests as Max Dynamite.

How strong the form? Group 3 out here?
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
mikey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 8:22am
I think it will be Darren Weir's Cup this year and he may well do the CC/MC double.

Kings Will Dream!
cotto1 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 10:14am
Hi guys:
Just wondering has any of the betting mobs.got the cc and mc double up yet betting wise.i wonder when Sportsbet will.
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 10:01pm
Dual Melb Cup placegetter MAX DYNAMITE goes around in the rich Galway Hurdle tonight.

Pretty sure I’ve heard Willie Mullins say he’d head back to Flemington again this year for the Cup.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 12:23am
Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

Dual Melb Cup placegetter MAX DYNAMITE goes around in the rich Galway Hurdle tonight.

Pretty sure I’ve heard Willie Mullins say he’d head back to Flemington again this year for the Cup.

Interesting field.

21 jumpers....

The comment for Max Dynamite (7/1) from the SportingLife:

Well beaten behind Stradivarius in Gold Cup at Ascot in June. Drops in distance now, appears to be on the wane and plenty of his stablemates appears better placed.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

Interesting field.

21 jumpers....

The comment for Max Dynamite (7/1) from the SportingLife:

Well beaten behind Stradivarius in Gold Cup at Ascot in June. Drops in distance now, appears to be on the wane and plenty of his stablemates appears better placed.

A weak 11th and only made a little headway.

Maybe Max just needs to get to the Southern Hemisphere...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 9:41pm
Are there any potential Cups runners in the Glorious Stakes 2400m at Goodwood tonight.

It’s Race 1 tonight, so should still be awake to watch it after the Storm v Rabbits blockbuster.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 9:47pm
The whole field should have it as a potential target. 

reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 9:52pm
Many of us don't possess a huge degree of intelligence, however comments like that above threaten to insult what little we have.Dead
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 3:19am

Are there any potential Cups runners in the Glorious Stakes 2400m at Goodwood tonight.

It’s Race 1 tonight, so should still be awake to watch it after the Storm v Rabbits blockbuster.

The Melbourne has been mentioned for Mirage Dancer.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 7:48pm
Charlie Appleby has a runner in the Summer Stakes 2816m at Goodwood tonight at 11.25pm our time - WALTON STREET.

Fits the profile of the unexposed stayer in the mould of Qewy / Oceanographer that Charlie likes to bring down under. If he wins well tonight I can see him coming down and trying to get a Melb Cup qualification via a Geelong Cup or Bendigo Cup.

Worth watching tonight.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

... The Melbourne has been mentioned for Mirage Dancer.  

Beautifully bred fellow, however his form while excellent is clearly inferior to today's import winner Avilius.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 9:31pm
Avilius will have had enough of the fortnightly racing by the time the big goals are on.
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 11:26pm

Charlie Appleby has a runner in the Summer Stakes 2816m at Goodwood tonight at 11.25pm our time - WALTON STREET.

Fits the profile of the unexposed stayer in the mould of Qewy / Oceanographer that Charlie likes to bring down under. If he wins well tonight I can see him coming down and trying to get a Melb Cup qualification via a Geelong Cup or Bendigo Cup.

Worth watching tonight.

Out of an Aussie mare.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 7:34pm
You scratch one from the list and another 3 internationals throw their hat in the ring.

Cross Counter enters Melbourne Cup picture after Gordon Stakes win

Sat 4 Aug 2018

Cross Counter could be bound for the Lexus Melbourne Cup after putting up a ruthless display of controlled front-running in the Qatar Gordon Stakes.

Stepping up in class in the Group Three contest, the Charlie Appleby-trained runner was sent off a 7-4 chance in the hands of William Buick.

The gelded son of Teofilo always looked in control, coming home four and a half lengths clear of favourite Dee Ex Bee in a new course record for the near 12-furlong trip.

Appleby, who was at Newmarket, said: “He is a horse that had a lovely, progressive profile going into the race today. We were confident we would put a race up to Dee Ex Bee.

“On the back of that, our long-term agenda was to take him to Australia for the Melbourne Cup.

“We will get him back and see how he is, but that is where his next start is likely to be. He is a gelding so he can’t run in the St Leger.”

Buick, who partnered Wild Illusion to victory in the Qatar Nassau Stakes for Godolphin earlier in the week, said: "It was a lovely performance from Cross Counter. Charlie has brought him on lovely and he's not the finished article yet, so there is more to come.

"He has opened up a lot of doors with this win. He is going to stay in training and is only going to keep progressing. I think he is very talented and he put a long distance between himself and his rivals.

"We didn't go an end-to-end gallop but it was an even gallop and it wasn't a falsely-run race by any means. He managed to quicken off the front again, which is always a very good sign.

"It was a track record and was a quality performance. He beat a top-quality stayer in Dee Ex Bee in second and it was great that he could make the step-up to this grade."

He added: "Cross Counter quickened off the front. He gave me a nice feel and it was nice to see him win like that today. He was relentless to the line and I thought that it was a very good performance.

"Cross Counter is only going to keep on progressing and he'll make a lovely horse next season. It's lovely for a horse like him to keep on progressing through the ranks."

Mark Johnston was far from disheartened by the defeat for Dee Ex Bee, believing the fast ground had counted against his St Leger contender.

The trainer said: “He just doesn’t have the gears on fast ground and was on and off the bridle and never able to get into a rhythm, while not quick enough running down the hill into the straight.

“Given some cut in the ground, I think you would see a different horse and the St Leger is still on, that’s for sure.”

Sun Maiden, a rare runner in this from the distaff division, looked unhappy on the ground throughout and was virtually pulled up by Ryan Moore in the final quarter mile.

https://www.racinguk.com/news/cross-counter-enters-melbourne-reckoning-following-gordon-stakes-glory

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 7:36pm

Albert
Amazing Red
Best Solution
Chelkar
Chestnut Coat
Cross Counter
Dal Harraild
Dylan Mouth
Euchen Glen
Hamada
Hawkbill
Idaho
Joshua Reynolds
Latrobe
Magic Circle
Marmelo
Max Dynamite
Nakeeta
Northwest Frontier
Order Of St George
Orderofthegarter
Red Verdon
Sole Impact
Stradivarius ( Unlikely )
Thomas Hobson
Tiberian
Torcedor
Wall Of Fire
Wicklow Brave
Withhold

reductio ad absurdum
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 7:43pm
They should be running a lot of track records at the moment in Europe, with what I imagine are rock hard tracks baked by the unrelenting heat.Angry
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 10:01pm
York’s traditional showpiece, the Ebor Handicap, is off the program for Godolphin’s promising stayer Hamada.

Instead, the four-year-old is set to next target the G3 Geoffrey Freer Stakes at Newbury on Saturday, 18 August as a possible stepping stone to Australia.

Charlie Appleby said today: “Hamada is in the squad we are assembling for Melbourne and he is going well at home. We gave him a little break after his Newmarket win and he will be ready to run again in a couple of weeks.”

At his last start, Hamada won a Newmarket handicap off a mark of 96 by seven lengths. He has won his last four races on the trot.

“We would like to get him to the Melbourne Cup but he must first satisfy the balloting conditions, one of which is being placed in a Group race over 2300m or longer. 

“The Geoffrey Freer is a good opportunity to do that. I think it will be more suitable for him that the Ebor,” he added.

reductio ad absurdum
Mug-Punter View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mug-Punter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 10:04pm
Music to my ears.... early days and a lot of water to go under the bridge but he is one I've had an early nibble on.
I think Appleby could be in for a massive Australian Spring Carnival.

Edited by Gay3 - 10 Aug 2018 at 9:19pm
The Mugg
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mug-Punter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:47pm

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/melbourne-cup-a-potential-target-for-runaway-chester-cup-winner-magic-circle/332107

Corey Brown booked to ride this fella. Music to my ears that Dr Marwan Koukash has booked a local jockey... My small book of early Cup bets progressing well

Edited by Gay3 - 10 Aug 2018 at 9:20pm
The Mugg
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mug-Punter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:49pm
^^^^^^ Sorry about this ^^^^^^^

Not sure what's happened there but Magic Circle was who I was talking about.
The Mugg
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 7:32pm
Best Solution can be added to the Melbourne Cup and Caulfield Cup fields.

His nomination should see Stradivarius get in a little lighter. Best Solution was rated 116 before his group 1 win last weekend 1 pounds inferior to Stradivarius. With that group 1 win it allows Carpenter to get them both in on 58 kgs or less.

reductio ad absurdum
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 11:18pm
Is there any sign of a international limit anywhere in sight?

I have 13 internationals, and 6 who will have only had one prep and maybe five runs, if your lucky, in the country.

If we do allow 20 internationals in, I do not care, but I can tell you now, that the race will lose its appeal to the ordinary person on the street.

It probably will not harm punting, as only about 20% of punters who bet on the race now, know anything about form and care about form, but the allure of the race, will make it become just another race.

I think they should boost the Queen Elizabeth prizemoney to 1.5 million, make it a true consolation for the internationals, who do not make the field, and limit the numbers in the main race.

Obviously that will not happen.    
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
diggo View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 3:11pm
Will TIBERIAN be running again this year? I thought he was really impressive last year from a wide barrier, trapped 4 wide most of the trip and carrying a fair amount of weight. I just took $115 (avg odds) on betfair, they were offering as high as $230 though.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 11:51am
Not sure about TIBERIAN, maybe tillyras can give us an update on his status.

But plenty of other Cups contenders going around this weekend in Europe.

Tonight in the Geoffrey Freer at Newbury, Charlie Appleby has HAMADA & WALTON STREET going around. I’d expect both to be part of his Cups invasion.

Then at Deauville tomorrow, there’s the Prix de Kergolay, where MARMELO is favourite.

It was interesting to note that multiple G1 placegetter TORCEDOR was sold to new owners (German/Aust syndicate) for an massive sum and is to be transferred to Andreas Woller. Given the Woller connection, I’m assuming the new owners involve Australian Bloodstocks Luke Murrell? Anyone know if that’s correct?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 9:07pm
I didn’t stay up to watch HAMADA last night, but watching the replay it looked like a very strong performance.

I’ll confess I’ve no idea about the ratings & how they translate to weights. What weight could we expect to see the him allocated for the Cups?

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 9:19pm

I didn’t stay up to watch HAMADA last night, but watching the replay it looked like a very strong performance.

I’ll confess I’ve no idea about the ratings & how they translate to weights. What weight could we expect to see the him allocated for the Cups?

If we work off the top weight getting 58 kgs I would imagine Hamada would get 3 kgs less than Stradivarius, so about 55 kgs. He was 107 prior to his win last night. I'd expect him to rise to about 112. Stradivarius in on 118.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

No horse who ran in that race an hour ago, will win next year!

Seems you maybe correct. 
reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 27>