Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Rekindling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:37am
👍
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:38am
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

First 3 year old since Skipton  to win.

If still a 3-Y-O by Southern Hemisphere time, why does it appear as a 4-Y-O in the racebook in a SH race ?

It wasnt meant to be cranky, but you ask the question of my post, and I told you what I thought.
Maybe it sounded cranky because I get tired of hearing the age old set in stone rule about NH/SH ageing of TBs.  Crossing the equator ages them on paper, but not in body , mind, and legs.  They cant make a horse instantly 12 months older in its physical makeup simply by crossing an imaginary line on the world map.  Its body is still 3 years old.
But thats just my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions Big smile

animals before people.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:40am
Bit like Kingston Town winning the Sydney Cup - Rekindling winning the Melbourne Cup for age group anyway.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:41am
Anything foaled in the Northern Hemisphere is placed in our books as a year older as they are foaled before August.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:47am

Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

It's a 4yo. That's why it was listed as a 4yo. Any foal born on that date in the Southern Hemisphere turned 4 on 1 Aug. I'm a breeding dunce and I know that.

Yes, all breeding buffs know this about NH time and SH time , and horses birthdays etc.  BUT.
You can talk S.H. time to N. H. time all you like.  Breeding, foaling, horses birthdays etc, and all that.  But, he was born on 23 March 2014, so he is 3 and wont be 4 , age wise, until next March.  Just because we have this northern/southern thing , it doesnt change his age, technically.
I was 68 last March, and I am not 69 now, and I wont be 69 until March next year, regardless of what hemisphere I was born in.
That N/S stuff is a technicality but the actuality is, the horse is 3 years old in age and body and legs.  Read the book anyway you please but he doesnt become 12 months older in body and mind just because he crossed the equator.
Just as Jospeh O,Brien is 24 and he doesnt become 25 just because he came down under Wink

Agree with all that and didn't mean to come across rude in my post if I had.

Bottom line:
Yes he was born less than 4 years ago.
In Southern Hemisphere racing terms he is a 4yo. He is NOT a 3yo by Southern Hemisphere time.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:51am
They should just call them 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 whatever, which is accurate, and put that in the formguides, racebooks etc.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 10:00am
Yes in SH time he is 4.  I agree with you there E&E.   A line on a map , once crossed, ages him 12 months in 2 mins, when physically the horse is still 3 , not 4 years of age, and there can be, and is, quite a physical difference in a 3 yo and a 4 yo.
Like a lot of other stupid discrepencies in the world of TBs , this of the their age changing on a piece of paper when they cross the equator should be rectfied.   Because they dont change physically.
animals before people.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 10:04am
Let just say he performed well although he beat the one I backed to win!  Honestly though the worst thing is the similar silks when they are all bays and you forget the caps and can't see the numbers.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 10:15am
There were a lot of like looking silks for sure !
I just think too many of us let a technicality take away what an amazing thing the horse did, because a line on a piece of paper says he is older than he is.
This mentally and physically 3 year year old horse travelled across the world to another totally different environment and style of racing, adapted, took on the world, and won. 
If he was an Aust 3 yo everyone would be in awe but intsead all we do is argue over what the race book says.
Sad really.Cry
animals before people.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 10:17am
It was a very strong call by Matt Hill, never missed a beat. They got the right man for the job.
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 10:28am
813.66. Missy ZippyMatthew CumaniH Coffey (8)
$26
 3f   Americain (USA) River Dreaming (IRE) (Galileo (IRE) )

is in the right stable to be developed, if the trainer doesn't succumb to aussie way of training.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 10:29am
and impatient owners!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 10:31am

There were a lot of like looking silks for sure !
I just think too many of us let a technicality take away what an amazing thing the horse did, because a line on a piece of paper says he is older than he is.
This mentally and physically 3 year year old horse travelled across the world to another totally different environment and style of racing, adapted, took on the world, and won. 
If he was an Aust 3 yo everyone would be in awe but intsead all we do is argue over what the race book says.
Sad really.Cry

The 3 and a half year old AU/NZ horses these days are utterly incapable of winning a Sydney Cup.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 10:33am
did i just hear that Rekindling weighs 410 kg? more merit in the horses win. hope he comes back.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Isaac soloman Isaac soloman wrote:

813.66. Missy ZippyMatthew CumaniH Coffey (8)
$26
 3f   Americain (USA) River Dreaming (IRE) (Galileo (IRE) )

is in the right stable to be developed, if the trainer doesn't succumb to aussie way of training.

Now all they have to do is find a 4000m G1 for it.
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 10:54am
Would rekindling stay here now and aim at another cup or go back with joseph obrien?

what would he be aimed at in europe ??
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 11:04am
Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

Would rekindling stay here now and aim at another cup or go back with joseph obrien?

I think Williams said in the post race interview that he will have a week or so at his property then back to Europe. Ascot Gold Cup was mentioned I believe.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 11:09am
Small horse with 56kg in 2018. Williams will have to find another one.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 11:30am

REKINDLING (GB)

4yo Bay Horse
D.O.B: 23-Mar-2014
by HIGH CHAPARRAL (IRE)  from SITARA (GB)

Specifically he was 3yo + 7mths Big smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 3:44pm

I think Williams said in the post race interview that he will have a week or so at his property then back to Europe. Ascot Gold Cup was mentioned I believe.

👍
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 3:46pm
F*** this horse ! I have had a gut-full of hearing about it. The Melbourne Cup is becoming a race I can't be bothered with. A lottery.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 3:53pm
sore loser?
you dont have to read. or listen.
my sentiments for the stuff in joffs all sports. 
im waiting for whale to reappear to make it interesting.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 4:27pm

👍

Further to that, he said it was likely he would go back to Ireland but he would be making a final decision next week. US Army Ranger and Johannes Vermeer likely to stay here though
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

The best result for the aussie bred stayers inthe Cup was Boom Time - 13th

Wrong. Amelie’s Star was First Aus Home in 14th
Boom Time finished 15th
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:38pm

F*** this horse ! I have had a gut-full of hearing about it. The Melbourne Cup is becoming a race I can't be bothered with. A lottery.

ha ha LOL  now who is cranky ?Big smile
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 7:02am

ha ha LOL  now who is cranky ?Big smile

Well it has become a pig in a poke race- far more guesswork and dumb luck involved than when all the runners form was in Australia and recent.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 1:23pm
Now Listed as being trained by Hickmott - staying in Aus!??
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Magnolian Khan Magnolian Khan wrote:

Now Listed as being trained by Hickmott - staying in Aus!??

But Hickmott is leaving Lloyd 
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 5:11pm
Well come Monday he'll presumably be listed as being trained by the new guy on the block.
BlackKnight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

Lloyd is frustrating with all the accepting and then scratching of his horses. But he does spend big bucks and I admire his passion for the Melb Cup.

Is REKINDLING the most inexperienced horse to win the Cup??

Only his 10th career start!! I can’t remember any winner in modern times having so few starts.

Nowhere near same league but over 3200m at Echuca today is a 3yo filly having her third start. Missy Zippy

I noticed her going around today in that race. She’s by AMERICAIN

What a stunning stunning pedigree.

Hopefully, no matter how slow she is, she gets to the breeding sheds.

Sorry to go a bit off track but here's your chance to buy her djebel - unreserved so I doubt she will cost you much: https://www.bloodstockauction.com/sales/2017/11/21/catalogue/34#pic1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>