Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Harvey Weinstein

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:09pm
There are some bad people in that group, but there are also some very fine people among sexual predators and there is blame on both sides frankly. 

Oh wait...
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:12pm
I mean attractive women are much more likely to be used in movies/ advertising - why ? Surely one of the reasons is that they are more appealing to the male eye. Isn't that just a step away from male sexual predatory behaviour ?
Refer ALP Election Promises
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

There are some bad people in that group, but there are also some very fine people among sexual predators and there is blame on both sides frankly. 

Oh wait...

Pathetic is the term that best applies to these crass individuals, but really if a serious crime occurs, ya gotta put ya hand up.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

I would have thought sexual predatory behaviour was almost hard wired into most males. A matter of degrees of self control I would have thought !

I like women but I've never found it difficult NOT to abuse a position of power to force myself on them. It's really not that hard. All that's required is a modicum of respect.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Oh wait...

Pathetic is the term that best applies to these crass individuals, but really if a serious crime occurs, ya gotta put ya hand up.

Have you been following the story at all?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

I would have thought sexual predatory behaviour was almost hard wired into most males. A matter of degrees of self control I would have thought !

I like women but I've never found it difficult NOT to abuse a position of power to force myself on them. It's really not that hard. All that's required is a modicum of respect.
Ok...however even you Judge would prefer to ogle a good sort over a not so good sort. So how do you justify that ? What drives that difference ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:24pm

Oh wait...

Typically it is after a lengthy time only, look at Cosby.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:25pm
Don't most people (men + women) use their position in society / work to influence outcomes to their own benefit. Human nature. This fellow just happened to use it primarily for sexual gratification. The bloke is obviously a grub - just don't think you will ever get rid of such behaviour. Not unlike the Domestic Violence issue.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:26pm

Ok...however even you Judge would prefer to ogle a good sort over a not so good sort. So how do you justify that ? What drives that difference ?

Why should you have to justify that? Bizarre question. We humans have all sorts of impulses we keep in check because it's the right thing to do. Most of us are aware of this way before the law has to get involved. People like Weinstein are weak, entitled bullies. Not people like me, or I'm assuming you.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:28pm

Oh wait...

Typically it is after a lengthy time only, look at Cosby.

There have been attempts to prosecute him at least twice criminally(12 yrs ago the first) and more than a dozen times civilly The FBI is now investigating why the criminal cases were dropped despite NYPD presenting what were described as ''slam dunk'' cases. Power and influence
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:29pm

Don't most people (men + women) use their position in society / work to influence outcomes to their own benefit. Human nature. This fellow just happened to use it primarily for sexual gratification. The bloke is obviously a grub - just don't think you will ever get rid of such behaviour. Not unlike the Domestic Violence issue.

The bloke could've afforded a conga line of $10,000-a-night high class hookers if he purely wanted sexual gratification. He wanted more.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:30pm

Why should you have to justify that? Bizarre question. We humans have all sorts of impulses we keep in check because it's the right thing to do. Most of us are aware of this way before the law has to get involved. People like Weinstein are weak, entitled bullies. Not people like me, or I'm assuming you.
True - however how do propose to change it ? I mean you cant tell me people like him or his like don't know they are abusing their position. So education is obviously not the answer. Nothing will change imo - certainly no "massive cultural change" as was suggested above that's for sure.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:33pm
Quite right, Judge, impulse control. But, the victims also had an impulse they did not control, the impulse to make it in the movies, that over-rode other considerations.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:33pm

The bloke could've afforded a conga line of $10,000-a-night high class hookers if he purely wanted sexual gratification. He wanted more.
Exactly - it was a "power" thing. Not that unusual though - that's my point 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:36pm

True - however how do propose to change it ? I mean you cant tell me people like him or his like don't know they are abusing their position. So education is obviously not the answer. Nothing will change imo - certainly no "massive cultural change" as was suggested above that's for sure.

The only way it will change is if there is a fundamental change in the way many men view women. This is not some feminist claptrap it happens to be true. I have daughters. People like Weinstein repulse me. It won't happen overnight but it can happen- the exposure of people like Ailes, O'Reilly and Weinstein. And blaming the victims is the worst thing you can do.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:36pm
How many narcissists make it to senior management positions in big business ? Plenty I would suggest. Cant tell me they don't leave a train wreck of human misery behind on the way to meeting their ambitions.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:38pm

Exactly - it was a "power" thing. Not that unusual though - that's my point 

Not unusual, but completely unacceptable nonetheless. We can't just shrug our shoulders and say "boys will be boys". Off to the house of mirrors
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:43pm

Quite right, Judge, impulse control. But, the victims also had an impulse they did not control, the impulse to make it in the movies, that over-rode other considerations.

You keep arguing as if there is an equivalence here. There simply isn't.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:43pm
I would also add women are pretty good at using their "natural" advantages to position themselves differently/ above those that don't have same. So its not only men thing Judge. Go ask the fat freckly faced girl in school how well they are treated by the cheer leader types !
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:44pm
No doubt some of these "victims", and we may never hear about them, went on to success in pictures, and would do whatever it took to get there, again, given their time over. This not as simple as lechers on the loose,as grubby as they are, the "victims" were their enablers !
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:44pm

I would also add women are pretty good at using their "natural" advantages to position themselves differently/ above those that don't have same. So its not only men thing Judge. Go ask the fat freckly faced girl in school how well they are treated by the cheer leader types !

Deflection.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:46pm

Deflection.
You cheeky bathtub/plug Judge. I've never been called a deflector before - but I have now !
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:47pm
What is more important, Judge, your name up in lights, or personal integrity ? You may say the latter, but how did the "victims" vote on that ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:50pm
Who put them in a position of having to "vote"?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:59pm
Every decision you make is a vote.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 9:01pm
You didn't answer the question. W-w-w-w-w-w....W-w-w-w-w-. 

Come on Fonzie. You can say it.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 9:17pm
Life can throw up some tough choices, Judge. And until tested, who can say which way we will decide.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 9:21pm
Not to sexually abuse or intimidate people isn't a particularly tough choice imo.
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 9:22pm
More after the ball game virtue signalling from the usual suspects. Just as worthless as many of the "victim" statements in this case. Everyone knew, nobody acted. Paltrow was swift to thank Weinstein and Miramax for her Academy Award. She also had a kind word for her old mate Ben Groper Affleck. Fittingly her award was presented by all time female fondler Jack Nicholson.
No expose on Jack either flag wavers? Fittingly this whole sordid story bought to light by the offspring of Mia Farrow and all time pedo Woody Allen. The whole industry is full of enablers and sickos.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 9:27pm
Well, I'll leave it to you to try and "shame" the Harvey's of the world, Judge. Their errant behaviour is in inverse proportion to the amount of shame they feel for it. You are wasting your time trying.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>