Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Nature Strip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 29>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Carried 2kg over WFA if I'm not mistaken, not that it had anything to do with the performance imo.

Correction, just checked the WFA scale and yesterday was 1kg over, as was NS. Not sure where I got the 2kg disadvantage I suggested to Sunline on Sat. Embarrassed

They carried the same difference they would have at WFA. 
reductio ad absurdum
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 5:16pm
Just a clarification djebel.

I do not worry about weight scales. In my early punting life I did, but I found that when a horse was moving through the grades, and they would go up in both weight and class in the one run, if they had been carrying a similar weight in lower grade, they had become accustomed to carrying that weight and there fore the weight in the higher grade was irrelevant, if the increase was less than 1.5 kilos.

A good example of this was All Silent. I remember watching him win, I think it was his third start, in a late season Saturday race with 54 or less.

He then moved into stakes grade and carried 55 and 56 but it took him a few starts until the next autumn, to get used to carrying that extra weight, and when he became accustomed to the 58 at wfa, he was near unbeatable.

That is one reason you see trainers keep running some horses in the lower grades, even when they get big weights, because they know they need to get used to carrying the bigger weights, and then they move them up in grade.

And as I have stated before, I think the 2 kilo allowance for females at wfa is outdated, so I do think the scale favors the females.

The reason I say she was light in, was because the lightest weight she had previously carried was 54.5 kilos, and that was against 2yo's.

I will find it intriguing when or if she drops back to the 3yo fillies grade, and she has to carry the full penalties at 57 or 58, to see how she responds.    
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 5:33pm
Eureka, that's it Voyager. The missing 2kg. Sundayitis for me (and djebel it seems).

Under the WFA scale fillies and mares get a 2kg allowance which she didn't get yesterday, so in theory she was carrying a 2kg penalty. Again, made no diff imo. 
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 9:02pm

1050m SOFT5
Nature Strip    13.38 [ 1]   10.78 [ 1]   10.62 [ 1]   10.93 [ 1]   11.73 [ 1]   1:00.68  
Gytrash            13.35 [ 3]   10.70 [ 3]   11.16 [ 3]   11.32 [ 1]   12.07 [ 1]   1:01.84 

The 2yo was almost as impressive. For those who didn't see, replays are here: https://www.theracessa.com.au/meeting/5147735.

You could see NS had Sunlight's measure as they moved around the turn. The disappointing thing is that she showed no fight early in the straight. After that it was just get home safe and sound for her jockey  

Horse has run 32 and change from the 800-200, and looked liked he wanted to go faster. Had nothing directly in front of him so he looked like he just pulled the jockey to the front.

Now we’ll probably hear things like “teaching him how to settle”. I’d expect that to work about as well as it is for Theanswermyfriend- reefing and tearing in behind horses. Maybe he will settle over time but for now keep him to 1000 and just let him run.
monty1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote monty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

If the Everest was 1000m he would be a deserved fav.

I still think he will lead the race if he gest a slot and be found wanting late, but $8.50 if you want to back him.

The Tony McEvoy curse looks to have struck again. He gest one good prep out of a talented horse, and then drops in performance level at their next prep.

Sunlight had every hope there, she had a light weight, good run during the race and looked forward enough to run well. She looks a horse who needs to remain in the 3yo fillies grade, similar to Houtzen last spring.

I agree with the generalisation about McEvoy 100%

I disagree with the idea the filly had a light weight. She was carrying WFA. That tells me she was not in light unless you believe the WFA scale is incorrect.

This filly had an extremely long preparation as a 2year old, she was racing in December, right through to the Golden Slipper at the end of March and here she is racing in July, she obviously didn’t have a long spell.
The other Slipper, Diamond runners probably haven’t even had a barrier trial yet.
What a huge task she has been set.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 12:50am
What I saw from the race was that for me it was obvious that Sunlight was not going to fight this one to the finishing line. As soon as she was headed the jockey was like going through the motions. And it was plain as day to me that this is not the main battle in the campaign. How ever long her spell was before this race, this event seemed to be a glorified "barrier trail" especially with far more import and richer races to be run.

I also agree with some of the observation pointed out on this thread that Nature Strip will be really tested if the connections were to head to The Everest this season as 1000m - 1100m seem to be his optimum distance and with the times he has run especially on the soft ground at Flemington just recently. Would like to see him next March in the UAE and then head for the King Stand at Royal Ascot.

mikey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 12:46pm
Are you guys for real doubting him at 1200m? He carried topweight last time down the straight at Flemington (the toughest 1200m in Australia) into a 60 km headwind and led the field into the breeze. He will run 1200 metres on his ear & probably get to a mile later in his career if they teach him to settle.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 1:18pm
There was merit in the Flemington win for sure Mikey but 1200m in top class company is a different task altogether. Everest is WFA so he gets no weight relief for his rating. 

Not much doubt in my mind that he needs to learn to conserve energy for the final 200m to be competitive in higher quality 6f races. That said his size, strength, speed and ability to churn out 3 very quick sectionals should stand him in good stead in plenty of open grade races.
mikey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 1:28pm
Ok, fair call.

Nevertheless I hope he gets his chance.
monty1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by mikey mikey wrote:

Are you guys for real doubting him at 1200m? He carried topweight last time down the straight at Flemington (the toughest 1200m in Australia) into a 60 km headwind and led the field into the breeze. He will run 1200 metres on his ear & probably get to a mile later in his career if they teach him to settle.
Correct me if I am wrong but that day the horse were running into a headwind down the back straight so that should have not come into play up the straight.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 8:43pm
Damian Lane and commentators said it was a buffeting headwind

Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 9:14pm
No question he is a query at 1200m. His two attempts at the trip have resulted in ratings well below his best. IMO the headwind angle is hugely overrated. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 9:36pm
Agree 1200m is not his forte yet but he did run 15l quicker than Camdus, Hellova Street etc
monty1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 10:01pm

Damian Lane and commentators said it was a buffeting headwind

Okay, thanks
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 10:06pm
Average winning margins:
Under 1100m 3.4 lengths
1100m 1.6 lengths
1200m 0.3 lengths
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 10:12pm
Just noticed djebel started this thread after he'd narrowly won a maiden. He correctly predicted he had talent.Thumbs Up
Slammington View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slammington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 1:38pm
Curious placement given he is chasing an Everest slot. James Harron said on Monday he would have looked at him closely if he had taken on Vega Magic last weekend instead of heading to Adelaide.

He should come to Randwick on 18 August for the Show County Quality over the Everest course and distance and try and pick up a slot by winning well there if there is still one available. The other race would be the Premiere on Epsom day but the slots will probably be gone by then given how many slot holders went the early crow this year.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

I don't know the source but did hear racing.com say that Weiry is all for the Everest next year.

Has anyone heard to the contrary yet?
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 10:31pm
Darren is training him for what races suit best without a firm Everest lock in.

He believed Adelaide suited better than the Bletchingly
Red Rancher View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 11:26pm
What a memory. Show County was one of the best 2 yr olds I've ever seen. Only lost because of the bog track in the Golden Slipper.
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 10:45am
One of the slot holders has made contact with the owners. They are negotiating.

Nature Strip will be running in the McEwen on Sept 8 followed by the Moir on Sept 28
This space has been intentionally left blank
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 9:58pm
Sunlight used all petrol early.    Has had 2 runs on slow losing both.

The Everest field is a totally different Kettle of fish

All interesting.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by crooked_gambler crooked_gambler wrote:

One of the slot holders has made contact with the owners. They are negotiating.

Nature Strip will be running in the McEwen on Sept 8 followed by the Moir on Sept 28

Seems at odds with Weir's previous comments about being aware of not overdoing it. I'd guess one more run before The Everest IF they get a slot.
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 11:21pm
My above post was in the Melbourne paper this morning.
This space has been intentionally left blank
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 6:30am
I'm going to bump this boy's thread.
Really impressed me when I was @ Flemington to see him run this winter.

I'm not sure about Moonee Valley though, but the way he handled Morphettville this should not be an issue.

Shoals and Quilista naturally are rated higher but I don't think they are their suited distances.

A good win and then maybe The Everest.

Thoughts?

Hoffy95 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoffy95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 11:11am
Will need a run before the Everest. Either Moir which was flagged all along regardless of getting a slot otherwise for mine the Testa Rossa 3 weeks out looks very suitable too. 

Talk is more about Moir though. 
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 2:29pm
Already had two starts at MV for a win and a second, so can safely say that will not be an excuse for losing.
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 9:03pm
David Gately said on Get On that he thinks Nature Strip is the second best horse in Australia, behind Winx of course. Personally I think that's rubbish. The horse is very fast and will probably will tomorrow but I don't expect him to street them like some think he will.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 9:10pm
Won't get an easy time out-front with Houtzen and Sunday Escape. Better hope he doesn't get buried away on the fence.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 9:29pm
Don’t think this horse wants an easy time. He’s a foot to the floor horse. He’ll have to be more than that to be effective at 1200, but at 1000 they can try and pester him all they like and it won’t matter. I still don’t quite trust him and it’s the worst possible barrier draw for a horse that can be a shade slowly away, but I’m not surprised to see him into $1:40.

If he brings his A game, they won’t get near him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 29>