Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Nature Strip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Mate we see the finished articles butchering them all the time.

When Poy rode Nature Strip on debut he was no more than a passenger.

I think that was his first ride wasn’t it? Nice horse to ride any day let alone at your first meeting
MJB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:23pm

I realise that but this wasn't a typical butcher. The horse had hit the front and was about to pull away and then it all went pear shaped because he didn't know how to use the whip in the left hand. All that is required is basic horsemanship. Jockeys should not be able to ride until they learn this. Makes you wonder what Hyland and Pumpa are doing. Horses laying in and racing ungenerously are a common occurrence and jockeys need to learn early on how to best overcome this.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:56pm
If they drop their irons a hole or two they may then learn to ride hands and heels, until then riding with their knees up under their chin and not enough toe in the irons they will forever be making mistakes.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by MJB MJB wrote:

I realise that but this wasn't a typical butcher. The horse had hit the front and was about to pull away and then it all went pear shaped because he didn't know how to use the whip in the left hand. All that is required is basic horsemanship. Jockeys should not be able to ride until they learn this. Makes you wonder what Hyland and Pumpa are doing. Horses laying in and racing ungenerously are a common occurrence and jockeys need to learn early on how to best overcome this.

Hyland hasn’t been at the apprentice school for 12 months.
Darren Gauci has the gig
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 3:12pm

Ill have to watch it.

All I can obviously say is he has looked good in the rides I have seen.

reductio ad absurdum
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 2:55pm
Handy pick-up for John Sadler (when he returns from suspension)
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

If they drop their irons a hole or two they may then learn to ride hands and heels, until then riding with their knees up under their chin and not enough toe in the irons they will forever be making mistakes.

Try about 5 holes.
Its comical how short they ride now.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 7:31pm

Ill have to watch it.

All I can obviously say is he has looked good in the rides I have seen.

Just watched that race and I agree he butchered that, he should have won clearly and certainly lost his way. However that would have been about his 70th ride.

He may have made similar stuff ups since but as a generalisation I like what I see.

reductio ad absurdum
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 7:46pm
https://www.racenet.com.au/news/new-direction-for-boom-sprinter-nature-strip-20180116

New direction for boom sprinter Nature Strip

New direction for boom sprinter Nature StripBoom sprinter Nature Strip will now target Group I glory. Photo: Darryl Sherer

Article Author

Tom Baddock

The former Robert Smerdon-trained Nature Strip is now being targeted for Group I glory in the autumn.

The boom three-year-old will next step out at Flemington on Saturday in the $250,000 Inglis Dash (1100m) in his first run down the straight en route to the Group I Oakleigh Plate.

“It is a lot of cabbage isn’t it,” part-owner Rod Lyons told radioTAB.

“It is a great promotion by Inglis for sure.

“He’s never been down the straight but I do know that Robert Smerdon and Ryan Maloney both feel that the straight will suit him.

“He’s a big strider and he just struggled a bit and lost a bit of momentum all his starts coming around the turn.

“He’s such a big strider and goes so quickly that they think the straight will really suit him.

“He’s still very inexperienced and he has shifted in a bit when they have gone for him but hopefully he is six in front at that stage and it won’t matter."

After his enormously impressive win at Sandown Hillside mid-weeks the son of Nicconi is expected to start a long odds-on favourite.

“I’m sure he’ll be pretty short,” Lyons said.

“I think if he turns up in the form he was in at Sandown I don’t think there will be any betting really.”

A trip to Sydney to chase further Inglis bonus riches, and a possible a clash with Golden Slipper heroine She Will Reign, has been put on hold after a change of heart by the ownership group.

“There’s a push now that maybe he stays in Melbourne for the Rubiton and then runs in the Oakleigh Plate,” Lyons said.

“He gets 53kg in the Rubiton and he’d have to win the Rubiton to get in the Oakleigh Plate and if he did win the Handicaper is saying he would only get 50-51kg in the Oakleigh Plate.”

“There’s a big push from the majority of the owners to go that way.”

The advantage of running with a featherweight in a major Group I sprint was enough to sway the owners of Nature Strip to roll the dice against the more seasoned sprinters.

“The original thought was stay in three-year-old company while you can – there’s plenty of races later on, plenty of handicaps but there was a push from the guys to say that he is only three once and we’re never going to get into those handicaps with that kind of weight again,” Lyons said.

“If he is half as good as we think he is he isn’t going to get the chance.

“He’s inexperienced and to take on those old, seasoned tough sprinters in those races would be hard but of course he has the big weight advantage and he’s got the potential, why not have a throw at the stumps?”

Regular rider Ryan Maloney wouldn’t be able to make the 51kg to ride in the Oakleigh Plate with Craig Williams cited as the likely replacement.

“We are trying to get the best jockey at that weight – Craig Williams has ridden for us before and I don’t know many of that calibre who can ride at that weight – there’s not many,” Lyons said.

The Group II Rubiton Stakes (1100m) is to be run on February 10 with the Group I Oakleigh Plate scheduled for February 24.

horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 3:15pm
$1.55 for Inglis Dash,
He will be having his first start for caretaker trainer Robert Hickmott
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 7:15pm
Doea Hickmott know how to train a sprinter ?

🤔
reductio ad absurdum
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 9:08pm
hickmott might be able to train a sprinter but not lloyd
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 1:52pm
Not sure they'd need to do much with him anyway
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 4:38pm
I’m in shock
Hickmott can speak!!!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 4:43pm
Not a straight horse. No chance against seasoned group 1 horses up the straight
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 4:48pm
Got the job done but I agree. Ran in/out under pressure at level weights.
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 6:59pm
Nice win. Did it on raw talent without being really pushed. First 3 across the finish line should all win plenty of races.
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 7:45pm
The win was smart and in good sprint time for the day .
He will win plenty.     Too good for them with the experience.

( Last Week ) broke into the Open ranks over 2500 in smart run.
He will go on to win better Staying races.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 7:38pm
I usually despise these restricted sales races but I think the first three in that race might be pretty smart. Bravo Tango home in 32.75.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 9:02pm
I thought the 4th horse was very good, might not be in the same class as the trifecta but he’ll be one to follow in a mid week race next time out
Phantom View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 8:21am
Going to stick to tackling his own age now. Heading to Sydney to take on She Will Reign in the Inglis race up there.
The More You Put On, The More You Get Back
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 8:39am
She Will reign will eat him alive
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 11:46am
Probably. He's good but she's (likely) exceptional.  No denying the numbers but Sandown is a track which exaggerates performances imo
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 12:03pm
The velodrome like banked home turn is what makes short course times what they are and can be quite flattering, Rollick I remember ran something like 55 1/2 for 1000, over 40 years ago ( well I'm pretty certain)
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 12:21pm
Not just times Carioca. Margins and finishing efforts are regularly exaggerated for some reason at Sandown in my opinion - which admittedly is based on nothing more than observation over the years

Don't get me wrong - I think Nature Strip's a fine horse with great ability but talking open G1s based on his Sandown run is a wee bit premature. 3yos do get in light in the key handicaps though.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 12:25pm
How will it perform without Smerdon’s “polish”? Or is the substitute just as keen on Aquanita ways? Surely everyone’s expecting a drop in form for the former Smerdon horses
to the victor
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 12:26pm
Agree with all the above: his Sandown measures come with an asterisk, although they do sometimes stand up out of those numbers at Sandown, but often they don't, and She Will Reign will be a new pain level for him. I couldn't see him beating her assuming the race is set weights.
Sunline...simply supreme
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 12:45pm
As She Will Reign gets older she will be looking for longer.

If this is not a high pressure race than Nature Strip might be better suited.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 1:14pm
Inglis Sprint (restricted) is 1100m, set wts, 56/54kg. Only worth $250K this year, up to $1M in 2019!

Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 1:46pm
She should start fave an win. If they put him up fave I will be backing her.
Sunline...simply supreme
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>