Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Nature Strip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 29>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Was she also syndicated to radio in Australia?  

Yes. a long time ago now.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:31pm
Barry Jones, the former ALP member of the federal parliament, was somewhat similar to Joyce Brothers. He had a photographic memory and was the champ on Bob Dyer's Pick A Box. For rating purposes, I reckon the questions favoured him as he knew a great deal about history, geography, the arts etc, but if Dyer had asked him a question on sport he would have been clueless. Even if he had asked who took Phar Lap to the USA he would not have known .
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:40pm
Barry would often give "nuanced" answers to questions, to the mirth of the audience. " Well, if you mean the original 1697 edition of the book, rather than the later translation of 1702, the answer is........" For example.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:42pm
Barry never rose to the ministry, so far as I recall, despite a lengthy stay in parliament.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:46pm
Yes dear Barry, now Elder Statesman.  Despite all his "knowledge" and time in the House, was (and probably still is in his dotage) a total ass-hole.

That said after almost 20 years too many in his near proximity, and believe no amount of money would've persuaded me to mow his nature strip.  

But I digress...Embarrassed

horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Barry never rose to the ministry, so far as I recall, despite a lengthy stay in parliament.

Minister of Science 1983 - 90
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by horlicks horlicks wrote:

Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Minister of Science 1983 - 90

I'd have lost a bet on that !
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:19pm
My source says :

"three years after her success, when the quiz show scandal broke big in the news, (circa ’58-’59), one of the accused producers, who had nothing to lose at that point, exonerated Dr. Brothers during testimony, stating that she was not assisted in any manner during her run for the 64K, (admitting others were)*

In fact, the producer added that any ‘cheating’ that may occurred involving Brothers, was in fact reversed. It seems Dr. Brothers was a ratings dud and mid-competition (the competition being spread over several weeks,) the producers decided that she needed to go, so they deliberately put together, in hope of tripping her up, a multi-part question dealing with only referees; but Brother’s was ready for them and answered all the questions easily.

Brother’s coach for the competition was Col. Edward Egan a former New York State boxing commissioner, but maybe more importantly was Dr. Brother’s relationship with Nat Fleischer. According to Fleischer, Brothers spent several weeks hunkered down in ‘The Ring Magazine’s’ New York offices studying over all the available resources, focusing on the Ring Record Book(s) as her main source.

In an interview, after the competition ended, Nat Fleischer hinted that Brother’s had some sort of eidetic memory, (not his word) stating that she could read a page of statistics and then repeat the page back almost verbatim; this she did with thousands of pages of information.

Otherwise Wikipedia's entry on the $64000 Question states :

"The relatively new but phenomenally popular Dotto, and then Twenty One, were found to have been rigged and were promptly canceled. A Challenge contestant, Rev. Charles Jackson, told the federal grand jury probing the quiz shows that he received answers during his screening for his appearance. That prompted Challenge's sponsor, the Lorillard Tobacco Company (Kent, Old Gold cigarettes), to drop the show.

The $64,000 Question had the opposite problem: sponsor Revlon—possibly under pressure from its chieftain, Charles Revson, who has been credited with expressing the desire for famous faces that prompted Challenge's expansion to include celebrities—often tried to interfere with the production of Question, including and especially trying to bump contestants it simply disliked, no matter whether the audience liked them. Revson's brother, Martin, was assigned to oversee Question–including heavy discussions of feedback the show received. The would-be bumpees included Joyce Brothers herself, who managed to outwit the question writers and Revlon long enough to win the maximum prize.

According to producer Joe Cates in a PBS documentary on the scandals, he used an IBM sorting machine to give the illusion that the questions were randomly selected – in fact, all of the cards were identical. Since all of the buttons were on one line  they were mostly for show."

So it seems Joyce has been unfairly labeled a cheat probably because all quiz shows suffered a massive credibility crisis in the late 1950's when they became subject of New York Grand Jury and a Congressional subcommittee which resulted in a change tot he Communications Act in 1960 to prohibit game shows from being fixed. 

It had only been after a 1954 Supreme Court ruling that game shows were not a form of gambling that the game show boom took place on American TV. Within 5 years they were subject of scandal and disrepute but Joyce seems to have escaped unscathed. 

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:36pm
50 years ago it was Coles' $6000 Question. Anyone who fell at the last hurdle would get a HR Holden sedan as the consolation prize. Imagine what one of those would be worth in mint condition, today !
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:43pm
It goes without saying that Barry was light years ahead of the current Minister for Science.

Saw him in the Manuka newsagent decades ago getting his regular pickup of about a dozen magazines - he was a huge devourer of both books and mags apparently.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 10:00pm
Gotta say, that quiz with all the boxing questions, seems an absurdity, but amazingly she answers them. Mind boggling.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 3:18pm
Reportedly rejected an offer of $2.5 million
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

He's a gelding.

He's a sprinter

I think they are telling porkies.

reductio ad absurdum
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 3:41pm

Not sure he'd pass the vet
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

He's a gelding.

He's a sprinter

I think they are telling porkies.

Steady there young fella , this crowd are as honest as the day is long.
And the board released a statement saying so too , so its got to be true.
LOLConfusedClap
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 5:40pm
Dunno whether to laugh or cry at that bi- carb, but I'm still on the floor over these charges
so much so that for the first time for a very long time I hav'nt watched a Melb. race for 2 days and I don't know whether I want to again.
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Dunno whether to laugh or cry at that bi- carb, but I'm still on the floor over these charges
so much so that for the first time for a very long time I hav'nt watched a Melb. race for 2 days and I don't know whether I want to again.

Mate , those of us around the traps have known of these practices for years and years.
A lot of the stables practicing this stuff have eased right back , even Hall Of Famers that cant get out of their own road nowadays have eased off.
It was epidemic before the clear day rules came in.
Gotta hand it to Big Bobby though , a traditionalist through and through.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Bi Carb Bi Carb wrote:

Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Mate , those of us around the traps have known of these practices for years and years.
A lot of the stables practicing this stuff have eased right back , even Hall Of Famers that cant get out of their own road nowadays have eased off.
It was epidemic before the clear day rules came in.
Gotta hand it to Big Bobby though , a traditionalist through and through.

The point that sticks in my craw is with the cobalt fiasco going on for the last 5 years these blokes have been milkshaking right under their noses up until a month or two ago,
and it being a masking agent what else has been added to the mix, still couldn't care less any more mate, been out of the game too long and might have 3 or 4 bets a year that'll do
me, if RV is fair dinkum 3-5 years minimum and no less seems about right.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:05pm
Surely Smerdon gets life

Edited by Gay3 - 12 Jan 2018 at 4:48pm
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:43pm
Guys/gals there's another established thread for most of this regurgitation, please use it Stern Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Guys/gals there's another established thread for most of this regurgitation, please use it Stern Smile

You are off topic Gay.

🤔

reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:46pm
Am totally with Gay on this one.  Star
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 5:16pm
Yep, I think I deserve a yellow card, don't forget Gay3 2 yellows on the same day = red card, so gone fishing 2 weeks, 5 yellows different days = red card, fishing rules applies.
and for me , well I'm fair dinkum guilty, have done it on a number of threads, so looks like I'm an habitual barstad too.
MJB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 1:15am
With Smerdon stepping down, someone is going to pick up a very, very promising horse. I would say Henry Dwyer would be the most suited from the incoming trainers.

Whoever it is, l hope they target the Oakleigh Plate. Perfect race for this horse.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 11:50am
Would need to improve his rating by 10-20 points to get into that race.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 12:07pm
He'd have the Australia Stakes, Manfred, Rubiton before the Plate to try and get his rating up
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 1:22pm
Will be trained by R Hickmott for the next three weeks before joining John Sadler
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 1:31pm
The bloke who rode him on debut is improving almost as rapidly as Nature Strip.
reductio ad absurdum
MJB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

The bloke who rode him on debut is improving almost as rapidly as Nature Strip.

I can't agree. He's got a long way to go. Watch his ride on Pinkish at Stony Creek. He cost the horse the win. The last couple of hundred metres was just laughable. Should have won in a canter. Surely the old man can teach him to use the whip in the left hand?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 1:56pm
Mate we see the finished articles butchering them all the time.

When Poy rode Nature Strip on debut he was no more than a passenger.

reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 29>