Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Nature Strip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nature Strip
    Posted: 04 Dec 2023 at 6:10pm

Nature Strip completes a perfect round at his first 90cm competition! 👏 He sure is a talented horse. 😍

Copy/paste  https://twitter.com/i/status/1730782716701159677

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 6:25pm
Went from Smerdon to Sadler (but had one run for Hickmott) because Sads told Terry Bailey steward to go F himself, before having 2 runs under his own name. Then the owners sacked Sads and gave it to Weiry till he got rubbed out.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 6:17pm
So 3 of his 4 trainers before Waller were busted for some kind of impropriety.Evil Smile Robert Hickmott who had him for one run being the exception.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 1:55pm
reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 1:39pm

Nature Strip's incredible journey

The Curtain came down on one of the most incredible career's in recent racing history on Saturday when Chris Waller announced the retirement of champion sprinter Nature Strip.

His career is an incredible one - nine Group 1 victories, $20m in prizemoney and a victory at Royal Ascot.

Ben Sporle takes a look at Nature Strip's journey, from a Mornington maiden to being the best sprinter in the world

What a ride it's been.

THE SALE

Offered for sale by Hunter Valley-based breeders Golden Grove at the 2016 Inglis Melbourne Premier Sale, the chestnut colt by Nicconi was the sixth foal from the mare Strikeline, with vendors setting a $120,000 reserve.

Strikeline was a Group 3 winner herself, having won the 2005 McEwen Stakes that Nature Strip would go on to win 13 years later, and three of her progeny never ran a place, while one was a winner at Mt Isa.

The Jason Warren-trained The Barrister, however, was the first to show promise from the mare, winning the Listed Fernhill Stakes in 2015 before being sold to Hong Kong, where he won three further races.

Despite that victory of Nature Strip's half-brother coming 10 months earlier, he still failed to meet the reserve, falling $30,000 shy, but Flemington-based trainer Troy Corstens had his eye on the chestnut.

"I actually bought Nature Strip," Corstens told Horse Racing Tell Me How in 2020.

"He passed in the sale ring and I'd seen him and I thought 'Gee I haven't had that horse vetted'.

"So I rushed down … I said 'I'll take that horse, I just need to get his x-rays done'.

"And I rang my vet and got his x-rays done and he said 'Don't touch him'.

"So the sale fell through."

Instead, Robert Smerdon walked away with the colt but had only managed to sell 15 per cent in the months that followed. A chance meeting with owner Rod Lyons months later, after Nature Strip had been broken in, would result in the son of Nicconi sporting Lyons' silks.

"Robert said to me, 'Look, this horse has been broken in, he goes terrific, it's a good horse for you and your mates, I guarantee you'll get your money back and he's a horse we could sell on to Hong Kong'," Lyons told Racing.com.

While Hong Kong never eventuated, Lyons lured in his mates, including champion New Zealand Rugby coach and former player Steve Hansen, for one hell of a ride.

Lot 378 Nicconi x Strikeline at 2016 #InglisPremier - he's dual G1 winner NATURE STRIP! pic.twitter.com/gEIAQqgXUI

— Inglis (@inglis_sales) September 27, 2019

THE DEBUT

Nature Strip made his debut at Mornington on October 10, 2017 and despite being sent out an odds-on favourite, it was more about his rider than the horse.

Michael Poy, who was 18 at the time and is the son of Melbourne Cup-winning hoop Michael Clarke, was having his first race ride and would have been feeling the pressure as the horse was backed from $1.95 into $1.80.

After drawing barrier seven, the three-year-old was the last to leave the gates and was later caught four-deep on the speed, but scored by a neck to the cheers of the punters.

"I jumped him [Nature Strip] out on the Polytrack about two weeks ago, and he went real good," Poy said post-race at the time.

"And I galloped him a week ago, and he went good there too, so I was happy to be riding him today.

"He was just probably too good for them today."

Nature Strip was now off and running.

"I couldn't ask for anything better." A dream start to Michael Poy's career as a jockey. #RacingLive pic.twitter.com/FpjN0ccZZu

— Racing.com (@Racing) October 10, 2017

THE DOUBTERS

Nature Strip would be defeated at his following start 17 days later on Manikato Stakes night, the same evening Hey Doc claimed The Valley's signature sprint.

Slow to jump again this time under Ryan Maloney, he charged late to miss Sam's Image but would run up to expectations at $4.40.

It would be his return to The Valley three weeks later, which saw him win by 5.5 lengths, that marked his arrival and cause his aura and expectation would grow.

While Nature Strip would win more often than he would lose - he divided opinions.

He finished eighth in the Moir Stakes and 10th in the Oakleigh Plate as short-priced favorite in his first two attempts at G1 level, causing doubts over his ability to absorb pressure at the top line.

During 2018-19 these were the times Nature Strip was beaten as favourite:

• VOBIS Gold Dash 2018 - $1.65 (second);

• Euclase Stakes 2018 - $2.40 (fourth);

• Moir Stakes 2018 - $1.80 (eighth);

• Oakleigh Plate 2019 - $2.30 (10th);

• Doomben 10,000 2019 - $2.30 (fourth); and

• Concorde Stakes 2019 - $2.30 (fourth).

The only other time he was beaten in that period was the 2019 Everest behind Yes Yes Yes, when he finished fourth as a $21 chance.

The knockers would later again raise their heads after a winless four-start preparation in the spring of 2020.

Booker wins the Oakleigh Plate! Superb ride from Dean Yendall.

Super win to a wonderful mare.

Speed was on early with Nature Strip, but faded. pic.twitter.com/zqxPCG93OZ

— 7HorseRacing 🐎 (@7horseracing) February 23, 2019

THE TRAINERS

Just as Smerdon appeared to find the knack to Nature Strip winning his third and fourth career starts by a combined 11 lengths and days after his 5.5-length romp at Sandown, Smerdon would stand down from training pending race-day treatment charges.

In the days that followed, it was announced that the owners had knocked back significant offers and John Sadler had been appointed trainer, also under the Aquanita banner. But Sadler was sidelined for misconduct charges involving then Racing Victoria chief steward Terry Bailey.

It would mean Robert Hickmott would be entrusted with the three-year-old at his fifth start, where he won his first race down the Flemington straight in the Inglis Dash.

"He has captured the imagination of a lot of people, especially the press," Hickmott said at the time.

"He could be the right one though."

"He showed he wasn't a speedy squib today." Robert Hickmott impressed with Nature Strip's fighting qualities. pic.twitter.com/6WYrCNyvxy

— Racing.com (@Racing) January 20, 2018

As arranged, Sadler would return to take over the training for his autumn preparation, but things wouldn't go to script when Sam's Image again got the better of him in the VOBIS Gold Dash and he was overhauled in his first Stakes attempt in the Euclase Stakes.

Following two beaten runs for Sadler, connections moved the horse to leading trainer Darren Weir.

"I've tried to move on … actually, I've just taken a week off because of that. It just affected me worse than what I thought it would," Sadler told Racing.com at the time.

"I really, genuinely believe he is a top galloper."

Nature Strip would get off to a fairytale start for Weir, winning his first four races. He would register his first two Stakes wins in the Creswick Stakes and Lightning Stakes at Morphetville before falling in to win his first Group success in the McEwen Stakes, holding off the challenge of Houtzen by the barest of margins in track-record time.

Punters believed Weir had found the key to the speedster and sent him out $1.80 favourite 20 days later under lights in the Moir Stakes, where he buckled under pressure to finish a well-beaten eighth behind Viddora.

"You just can't go that fast." Hear from Damian Lane on beaten odds-on favourite Nature Strip + other #BeatenJockeyspic.twitter.com/PbbMjzJA7o

— Racing.com (@Racing) September 28, 2018

In the week Nature Strip was planned to have his first-up run for his autumn preparation in 2019, Weir's stables were raided, throwing plans into disarray.

The Rubiton Stakes would mark his first start under Chris Waller, where he won by 3.5 lengths but like his counterparts, Waller would quickly learn Nature Strip's quirks.

His following run he would finish 11th in the Oakleigh Plate won by Booker, forcing Waller to go back to the drawing board.

One month later, Nature Strip would win his maiden G1 in the Galaxy at start 14 after holding off the challenge of Pierata.

Waller's rollercoaster ride was only just beginning.

"We just have to get into his head on race day," Waller said after his first G1 win.

"The winning post isn't at the 300-metre mark."

Trainer records:

• Robert Smerdon - four starts, three wins;

• Robert Hickmott - 1 start, 1 win;

• John Sadler - two starts, 0 wins;

• Darren Weir - five starts, four wins; and

• Chris Waller - 26 starts, 13 wins.

THE JOCKEY

It seems fitting given all they have gone on to achieve that the first time James McDonald rode Nature Strip would result in the horse's first G1 success.

McDonald was the sixth hoop to partner Nature Strip in his career, and joined Poy, Maloney, Mark Zahra and Damian Lane at the time as having been successful when aboard.

"Ever since I first sat on him, he just felt brilliant," McDonald said after winning The Galaxy.

There have been just four occasions since when McDonald has not taken the ride, with Tim Clarke, Hugh Bowman and Jamie Kah called in as replacements.

While Nature Strip might not always have been McDonald's best friend at times, the duo has banked close to $16m as a partnership, of which the Kiwi hoop banks a handy five per cent.

Nature Strip has saluted on more than half the occasions McDonald has been in the saddle:

• James McDonald - 20 rides, 11 wins;

• Damian Lane - six rides, four wins;

• Ryan Maloney - four rides, three wins;

• Jamie Kah - two rides, one win;

• Mark Zahra - one ride, one win; and

• Michael Poy - one ride, one win

Craig Williams, Bowman and Clark are the three jockeys to have ridden Nature Strip who did not register a win.

THE MAKING OF

2021 was a year of little certainty but by the end of the spring it would seem Australia's leading trainer had found the key to having Nature Strip peak on the big days.

At his third tilt at the $15 million Everest, Waller had perfected the horse's training and they would pick up the VRC Sprint Classic as well for little more than a track gallop for good measure.

It was rinse and repeat in the autumn, with a gallant defeat to stablemate Home Affairs first-up followed by a third T.J. Smith Stakes.

Following his T.J. precision, it left just one more box to tick.

After two COVID-hindered years, it was now or never to conquer Royal Ascot with the world's best sprinter.

While he might have been seven years of age, it was only then Waller believed he had the furnished product.

THE CROWNING MOMENT

With the beauty of hindsight, when Nature Strip walked into the mounting yard on Tuesday at Royal Ascot, it was if victory was inevitable.

The chestnut looked ready for battle and the perfect gentleman as Waller had meticulously nurtured and sometimes fought with him to become.

All the while American and well-backed favourite Golden Pal appeared restless and was led out onto the track early by his companion before bombing the start.

Nature Strip didn't move a hair, nor did McDonald.

To be fair, much the same could be said for the 1000 metres of the King's Stand Stakes despite reeling off scintillating sectionals and appearing to do so with ease.

No American horse or riderless horse for that matter was going to rain on this parade.

It had been 10 years since Aussies had tasted success at Royal Ascot.

While he wasn't Black Caviar, the consensus from the punters on the street was that he might have been our best chance since or before the mighty mare.

And boy where they right.

The day is here!!!
Nature Strip & Stuart Williams have arrived on course at Royal @Ascot 🎩 @SkyRacingAU @WHR @Racing pic.twitter.com/29sz2flmSM

— Chris Waller Racing (@cwallerracing) June 14, 2022

THE RETIREMENT

Following his incredible Royal Ascot performance, Nature Strip made a winning return when he resumed in The Shorts in September, 2022.

He progressed through to the Everest, where he finished fourth behind Giga Kick and then travelled down to Victoria to finish second behind Roch 'N' Horse in the Darley Champions' Sprint.

But it was the autumn where questions were starting to be asked about Nature Strip's future.

The champion was well beaten first-up in the Group 1 Lightning Stakes and then was 3.4lengths off the winner on Heavy ground in the T.J Smith.

Waller had always said he would never push Nature Strip and would retire him when the time was right.

Resuming after two eye-catching trials, Nature Strip  returned in the Concorde on Saturday and despite being trapped wide was beaten by nearly six lengths.

Shortly after the Waller stable announced a press conference. It was time to call time on Nature Strip's career.

“I'm announcing his retirement on behalf of the owners,” Waller said.

“He’s just been an amazing horse, everything he’s done he’s just done to the best of his ability, even today.

“He wasn’t the same horse in the race today. Yes, he jumped well, he travelled nicely, and looked to come up the rise well, but that same spark or acceleration wasn’t there.

“It’s so fitting we announce it as soon as the decision’s been made. I guess you could ask why did we bring him this extra preparation? Well, the simple fact is he’s a sound horse, he’s a happy horse, and that’s how he’ll retire.

“Thank you to everyone, it’s been an amazing journey, and I can’t thank you enough. He’s a champion.”

Lyons was on course for the announcement and said Nature Strip had been the horse every owner dreams of.

“It’s wonderful to have had a horse like him,” Lyons said.

“We wish he could’ve won today and gone on, but he’s been a wonderful racehorse who’s taken us to magnificent heights. Who would have ever dreamt we’d get a horse like him?”

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 2:53am
This is a great photo by @LisaGrimm9

reductio ad absurdum
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 11:32pm
Thanks heavens for that.
Retired sound to a good home.
Best news I have heard for a long  time.
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Few Weir horses enjoyed a pleasant retirement.

To be fair, Lee Purchase rehomed a hell of a lot of them. Barely a week would go by without her posting a nice horse or two & because of her reputation, they were always snapped up quickly. There was what they called the Sacked paddock where those suitable for reeducation were kept until homes were found.
One was next to our place & later on, moved to beside the Vet Clinic, beside the road.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 10:42pm
Smerdon. 
reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 9:04pm
Few Weir horses enjoyed a pleasant retirement.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 8:24pm
Wonderful horse.

Can not be certain he'd have reached the heights if stayed with his original trainer but what a sweetheart he was. He knew on debut what they were sending into battle. 
reductio ad absurdum
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 8:08pm
👏👏👏
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 7:39pm
Thumbs Up
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 7:34pm

An era has ended with Chris Waller announcing the retirement of champion sprinter Nature Strip.

The decision was made almost immediately after the nine-year-old finished down the track in the Concorde Stakes (1000m) at Randwick on Saturday with Waller convening a spontaneous press conference to confirm the news.

Standing alongside Nature Strip’s majority owner Rod Lyons, Waller paid tribute to a grand horse who at his best was almost unbeatable over sprint journeys winning three TJ Smith Stakes (2021-21-22), the 2021 The Everest and giving the top trainer his first Royal Ascot win in last year’s Group 1 King’s Stand Stakes.

“I’m announcing his retirement on behalf of the owners,” Waller said.

“He’s just been an amazing horse and everything he does he does to the best of his ability, even today, he was prepared well, he came to the race sound, he was trialling well.

“There has been no indication that race ability’s not there, but he wasn’t the same horse in the race today.

“Yes, he jumped well, he travelled nicely, he looked to come up the rise well, but that same acceleration or spark wasn’t there.”

Nature Strip retires as the winner of 22 of his 44 starts along with nine minor placings and more than $20.7 million in prizemoney.

For Lyons, the gelding has been life-changing and his over-riding emotion was one of gratitude, not only for Nature Strip’s achievements but for the fact the horse is going to the paddock happy and sound.

“It’s a sad day, we knew it would come. All champions come to the end of the road,” Lyons said.

“I wish he could have won today and gone on.

“But he’s been a wonderful horse and taken us to such magnificent heights.

“The important part is this horse retires healthy and sound.

“Today he said to us, ‘boys, I have taken you around the world, I have done all I can possibly do for you, c’mon give me a break.”

Lyons confirmed Nature Strip would spend his retirement at the property of Waller’s assistant trainer Charlie Duckworth and his wife, jockey Kathy O’Hara.

“He will have a great home and a great life, he will be a very happy horse,” Lyons said

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 7:33pm
Looks like he's going to Kathy O'Hara
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 7:25pm
Brilliant horse, happy to see him safely home.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 7:25pm
I heard Rod Lyons say on Tuesday he'd be off to Wallers' farm with Kathy O'Hara to educate him for dressage most likely.
I heard them say that Nash reckoned Eduardo felt sore so he might not be too far.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 6:41pm
Hope he's off to Legends rather than Chynna Marston's place.  Smile
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 6:29pm
Happy retirement champ!! 
Time is a flat circle
Grey Affair View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 6:15pm
They just announced he has been retired after today.

crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 6:14pm
It’s now offical. Waller just spoke to media and said retired immediately. 
This space has been intentionally left blank
brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 6:09pm
He’s done more than enough ages ago.
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 5:33pm
Who thinks he's had enough?
www.snowshoecats.webs.com
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 6:02pm

J-Mac: 'He didn't blow a match out'

Champion sprinter Nature Strip has been given the tick of approval from star jockey James McDonald after a track gallop on Tuesday morning at Rosehill.

The rising nine-year-old hasn’t been seen since finishing fourth in the TJ Smith Stakes (1200m) in April but has appreciated his first real break from racing in over two years.

Ahead of pressing on to a spring campaign, McDonald was glowing in his assessment of the nine-time Group 1 winner.

“He seems in good form, he’s pretty forward,” McDonald said.

“He didn’t blow a match out and he enjoyed his work so thumbs up.”

The world’s premier sprinter of 2022 has not won a race since The Shorts (G2, 1100m) last September, a race he will be set for again this spring.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2023 at 7:04pm
No wonder the poor bugger had 'niggles creeping in' when only having 3wks spells since joining Waller Angry

Nature Strip on The Everest trail again

Trainer Chris Waller believes champion sprinter Nature Strip can still make the field for a record fifth successive The TAB Everest in spring.

Waller revealed Nature Strip returns to training later next week re-energised after the longest spell the gelding has enjoyed in nearly four years.

Nature Strip, the ageing superstar, clearly wasn't at his best in a brief two-start campaign during autumn finishing only sixth in the Lightning Stakes and fourth in the TJ Smith Stakes.

But Waller, who is chasing the 150th Group 1 win of his career with Super Chilled in the $700,000 Queensland Oaks (2200m) at Eagle Farm on Saturday, remains optimistic rising nine-year-old Nature Strip is still a competitive sprinting force at the elite level.

"Nature Strip wasn't quite as sharp last preparation and had a few niggles creeping in," Waller said.

"But the vet was more than happy for me to push on with the horse (next season) provided he had a good break."

Waller said although Nature Strip "looks a bit woolly in the coat" the gelding has been enjoying his extended spell.

"We've gone back to basics with Nature Strip," Waller said.

"It's the first time he has had longer than a three weeks spell since I've been training the horse.

"He's had a proper eight week break and I feel that will work wonders for him.

"I think he will be a horse that really jumps out of the ground when he returns to training."

It is almost 12 months to the day since Nature Strip arrived in England ahead of his famous, runaway win in the Group 1 King's Stand Stakes at Royal Ascot last June.

He returned in spring to win The Shorts first-up but has been winless in four starts since.

Waller said Nature Strip "will have a gradual build up" to the gelding's spring campaign.

"We will take it one race at a time with Nature Strip," Waller said.

"If he is anywhere near his best at his first couple of runs (in spring) he can certainly get to another (The) Everest."

Waller's chestnut champion has contested The Everest in four successive years for a fourth behind Yes Yes Yes in 2019, a seventh placing to Classique Legend in 2020, a brilliant win in 2021 then his fourth to Giga Kick last year.

Nature Strip was also selected for the 2018 The Everest but lost form during spring and was withdrawn from the race.

In early TAB Fixed Odds betting for the $15 million The TAB Everest (1200m) at Royal Randwick on October 14, Nature Strip is at $15 behind $3.50 favourite Giga Kick.

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 2:40pm
While I agree with most take on this horse , in the last 3 or 4 years he's been in heaven compared to where he started , races have been picked to suit which has proved Very profitable and not one murmur of unsoundnes over journeys that are over in a twinkling of an eye , now compare this bloke with the greats of yesteryear Winfreux and Lord and Tulloch and Kingston Town who were winning G1s at 8 and 9 ( the first two ) NS has had a ball ! 
( not a constitution one either ) LOL
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 1:47pm
True, he’s not over raced. But they do need a mental freshen up from being cooped up in stables. 
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 1:16pm
5 starts for the season.

1 win

about $2.3m

reductio ad absurdum
iamt View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 12:59pm
He had a proper spell after the Autumn of 2021.

In the two years since he has had 13 starts.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 11:40am
Guess they know what times he’s running and place accordingly. Though I agree they should reassess his chances at the top level.  Could be an ego thing too. His joints must surely be starting to get a bit creaky. Can’t believe they’ve never given him some proper time off. Suppose that’s what happens to money making machines. But then I also thought CW a kind sort of bloke with his horses. Suppose it was a joint decision with owners to keep him up. He’s a definite contender for Living Legends. 
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>