Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2018 The Everest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 19>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Typically professional performance from Redzel. Vega Magic okay trial for 1200. Ditto Brave Smash and Santa Ana Lane. They’ve done their dough on Invicible Star. Kementari short in the market, will they go here?

Loved Shoals’ trial.

Vega and Invincible Star looks shot to pieces already.

I am not sold on Santa Ana as a top line sprinter and need to see him let rip in Sydney.

Brave Smash was a pass mark.

Redzel was OK.
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Miami Miami wrote:

Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Typically professional performance from Redzel. Vega Magic okay trial for 1200. Ditto Brave Smash and Santa Ana Lane. They’ve done their dough on Invicible Star. Kementari short in the market, will they go here?

Loved Shoals’ trial.

Vega and Invincible Star looks shot to pieces already.

I am not sold on Santa Ana as a top line sprinter and need to see him let rip in Sydney.

Brave Smash was a pass mark.

Redzel was OK.

Redzel was ok?

He had 60.5kg and has run the last 600 in 32.5 doing it without any fuss. What did he need to do to be good? 31 and change?
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 8:43pm
He beat Kapernick a length. Gave him 2.5 kg but it’s Kapernick we’re talking about. I think with Redzel what you see is what you get. Remarkably honest and consistent but we’ve seen his top. Might be good enough to win the Everest (and I wouldn’t talk anyone out of backing him), but he’s vulnerable to something with some upside, IMO.
Miami View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 8:43pm
This far out from the Everest I don't want to get too excited any anything.

Look, Redzel beat Kaepernick and a much hyped Invincible Star. 

It was an OK performance and that image of Trapeze Artist going straight past him after being posted 3 wide for almost the entire 1200m in the TJ still sticks.
Miami View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 8:45pm
Weir has a huge wrap on Kemono btw. Can they sneak him in?
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Speediskey Speediskey wrote:

Redzel had 60.5kg and has run the last 600 in 32.5 doing it without any fuss. What did he need to do to be good? 31 and change?

Very good post imo.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Miami Miami wrote:

Weir has a huge wrap on Kemono btw. Can they sneak him in?

Had a wrap on Danon Liberty too, good trainer but prefer to watch.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 9:23pm
100/1 even if he gets a start, which is extremely unlikely.
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 12:04am
Geez they got sucked in with Invincible Star
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 12:37am
I'm not saying Redzel can't be beaten, in fact if Trapeze Artist repeats his TJ performance I would say it's near impossible for Redzel to beat him.

Redzel reminds me of Buffering, but perhaps a touch better. Extremely honest on pacer that will deliver a Group 1 winning performance pretty much every time he steps out with very few excuses ever needed.

Trapeze Artist is the complete opposite, he's clearly a very very good horse, but like all Gerald Ryan's he as inconsistent as seagull poo after eating your ice cream, if he turns up is a complete flip of the coin.

Beyond that, I'm not sure anything else in Australia has really shown they can outperform Redzel on a fair track over 1200 (at least if it's not down a straight) Nature Strip is probably the only one with the X-Factor, but I'm firmly in the wouldn't get 1200 down a well camp for him.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 1:06am
"As inconsistent as seagull poo after eating your ice cream"

Let's give that some though 🤔
reductio ad absurdum
Miami View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 2:07am
Yes Redzel is your WYSIWYG horse.

It's just that I want to see a bit more improvement in him before the Everest. It was a satisfactory run and a good kick off point, nothing more nothing less.
jimbob04 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbob04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 9:56am
wasnt outstanding but def pass mark
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 12:40pm
Good run I thought considering 60-5kg, ran 56-19 sec. on a track that wasn't conducive to times, takes a seat in the run most important when letting down, still the one to beat imo although I'm on Shoals lol.
Miami View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 3:01pm
The worry for mine is how close kaepernick gets to him.

What's in his corner is that a lot of his opponents in the everest aren't quite right ATM.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 3:54pm
Have a look at the replay of the race pretty carefully and how it was run, Miami. Redzel was literally cuddled until the 200 pretty much exactly, at that moment Kaepernick started to get to him, as soon as the jockey asked Redzel to go he dropped him and was moving away on the line. With 60.5kg. Not many horses can even run a 32.5 last 600, let alone with a big weight, on a track that wasn't conducive to fast times, and without being asked to run for more than 200 of it.

Miami View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 4:00pm
I thought Kaepernick hit a flat spot and then when both were asked Redzel was holding him but I don't like to see Kaepernick that close as he isn't a group 1 horse.
Black Prince 2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 10:08am

I'm not saying Redzel can't be beaten, in fact if Trapeze Artist repeats his TJ performance I would say it's near impossible for Redzel to beat him.

Redzel reminds me of Buffering, but perhaps a touch better. Extremely honest on pacer that will deliver a Group 1 winning performance pretty much every time he steps out with very few excuses ever needed.

Trapeze Artist is the complete opposite, he's clearly a very very good horse, but like all Gerald Ryan's he as inconsistent as seagull poo after eating your ice cream, if he turns up is a complete flip of the coin.

Beyond that, I'm not sure anything else in Australia has really shown they can outperform Redzel on a fair track over 1200 (at least if it's not down a straight) Nature Strip is probably the only one with the X-Factor, but I'm firmly in the wouldn't get 1200 down a well camp for him.

Absolutely agree . Trapeze artist only wins when I’m not on hence he’ll probably wn the Everest because I’m not backing him . Vega doesn’t like it wet but they shouldn’t be a problem currently in Sydney . Brave Damsh great first up run will take a lot of improvement . The Smokey if he can get a run is nature strip . Will he or won’t he get 1200 ? Darren thinks he will and he’s been ultra ultra impressive so far . Very interesting actually looking forward to how all this plays out
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 3:49pm
And remember the US horse, that the ATC are hoping demolishes the field in Kentucky this weekend. Betaen just on a lenth by Merchant Navy.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 4:26pm
Trapeze Artist is over the line, unbeatable.Embarrassed
Cheeky View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 11:22am
If Home of the Brave Wins Theo Marks can he get a spot in the Everest and win, currently $51 on sportsbet.
Good Horse Good Jockey Good Bet Pittsburgh Phil
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Trapeze Artist is over the line, unbeatable.Embarrassed

Comes up in similar form to the autumn and on paper you're right Tlaz. Races aren't run on paper though. 
Miami View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 5:49pm
This race is falling away badly and needs Nature Strip and perhaps one more to get in.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 7:09pm
I hate to say it Miami, but you are making sense9the reason I say I hate to say it, is because I want an exciting race, not just another race with huge prizemoney for 1200m horse).

Invincible Star has not won a group 1, Santa Ana Lane is a group 1 handicapper, Redzel's 2018 1200m form has been off his 2017 pace, English is a once in ten race winner, Shoals has won two group 1's in fillies, and fillies and mares grade, In Her Time needs to improve from her autumn/winter prep and Vega Magic and Brave Smash, need to improve from their last runs.

There certainly are no Chautauqua's, no horse who is running track records like Deploy did, no 3yo worthy of running, after last years evidence, although I have mentioned that if I was a slot holder Pure Elation would have moved up the list after last weekend, and nothing is coming through the winter, except for Nature Strip.

It is only the media who would hype up Nature Strip, so I am not sure how much quality, he would actually add.

Horses like Le Romain, Kementari, Pierata, Champagne Cuddles, Prompt Response, Cassius/Kemono, and others who were in contention, have lost a little substance over the last few weeks.

The two slot holders without a runner, have a very difficult decision coming up!     
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Miami View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 7:27pm
Look, I am hoping that Nature Strip kills it this weekend and gets into the Everest as the much needed boom horse.

This race needs more hype after failing to attract quality opposition from overseas. It's nothing more than an overpriced group 1.

The fields are very uninspiring to say the least.

Give us something to get excited about !!
Miami View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 7:32pm
If Nature Strip flops this weekend, so will this year's edition of the Everest.

Merchant Navy would definitely have added the required spice but he's gone.

Harry Angel is fried.

Bound for Nowhere?

Aside from him, I guess a few american or french horses to add some intrigue. HK and Japanese horses seem too difficult to fly over for quarantine reasons.

pnclick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnclick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Cheeky Cheeky wrote:

If Home of the Brave Wins Theo Marks can he get a spot in the Everest and win, currently $51 on sportsbet.

I backed HOTB for $10,000 to $100 on monday, and Jungle Cat $8,000 to $100 as Sportsbet (and TAB for that matter) are offering money back if doesn't get in....

My philosophy!!! The ATC will be very very very keen to have an international runner with strong timeform rating in the race. Both HOTB and Jungle Cat fill that category. I liked HOTB's flemington run, and since monday Cummings has pulled Kemantari from contention, and give a quick remark "Who is to say we won't have an Everest runner"...

Jungle Cat (Timeform 122) on the other hand arrives on Saturday, to run first up at Caulfield in 2 weeks. A good run there may have him realigning the priorities to the Everest. Here's hoping...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 2:12am
So Merchant Navy would have added spice... but Invincible Star, who Merchant Navy beat by 0.2 of a length is one of the flops of the race? 

Just because he went overseas and beat up on D graders doesn't change anything.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 2:17am
The key horse to the race at the moment is Trapeze Artist, after all he's the type of horse this race was invented for - a colt that would have been 100/1 to still be racing in any other year, still around because theres finally a prize even close to what he'd get in the breeding barn.
Miami View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 2:17am

So Merchant Navy would have added spice... but Invincible Star, who Merchant Navy beat by 0.2 of a length is one of the flops of the race? 

Just because he went overseas and beat up on D graders doesn't change anything.

It does because he's a Royal Ascot winner and was on the up, whereas Invincible Star has yet to prove anything besides an outstanding trial.

As you are only a good as your last run, the last two runs he's won in Europe. The Everest is crying for a hype horse and he would've fit the part. With his absence, Nature Strip if he wins on Saturday will be that hype horse.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 19>