Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2018 The Everest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:07am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

The people of Sydney.  ???   But dont the NSW tax payers keep it going ?   Why  is it just up to the Sydney people  to have a say ?????
I get so fed up with all this stuff,,,,so city centric,,,there is a whole big world out side of Sydney. 
The custodians of the opera house,,,Sydney People,,,,
What about the rest of the NSW folks ?????
Dont we get a say ????

Not if you agree with the ambush.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Summer Regent Summer Regent wrote:

Just saw tv footage of the rent-a-crowd and interviews with a few of the more outraged who disrupted the 5 minute display of the barrier draw. I'm sure they'll all be there to protest every other promotion using the sails. 
The irony is not only that the Opera House was built on the proceeds of gambling but that they have given the event far more publicity than money could buy. 
Like many, I've got no time whatsoever for Jones and his bullying but that's a separate issue.

The ONLY reason there was any protest at all was because of Jones and VLANDYS. If they had been half civilised there would never have been any protest.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

We can have a debate about the Gambling industry and probably should . But given the fact that it brings a truckload of money into the Governments coffers it's going to be very hard to change anything. That's why both sides of politics supported the Everest draw . We can also have a debate about the Opera House being used to promote anything. That's another legitimate debate . What we can't do is make stuff up to cause controversy. People think V'Landys bought advertising space on the Opera House. He didn't. And prior to the light show people thought that the TAB and Ladbrokes etc would feature . Didn't happen. And let's be consistent. Will people be trying to disrupt the Melbourne Cup parade in a couple of weeks? Maybe they will now!

If the Victorian Racing industry chiefs behave in the manner NSW did than YES there likely would uproar.

If a Jockey or Trainer bought racing into disrepute the way Vlandys has they would be hung drawn and quartered.

reductio ad absurdum
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:23am
I've heard that Samsung ran an ad for the S4 on the sails but since I can't find any evidence of it I am starting to doubt the claim.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I've heard that Samsung ran an ad for the S4 on the sails but since I can't find any evidence of it I am starting to doubt the claim.
I believe that it was a lot of photos that people had taken with the Samsung phone. No one batted an eyelid about it. Guess cause it's " art" ?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:39am

I believe that it was a lot of photos that people had taken with the Samsung phone. No one batted an eyelid about it. Guess cause it's " art" ?

Open your mind for a second.

Nobody from Samsung abused or bullied anybody on radio.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:51am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Are you saying that they wouldn't have their knickers in a twist about the Everest promo on the sails if Jones wasn't involved?

Simon Cameron

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:54am
If THAT interview, THAT ambush had not taken place there would be no petition and no protest.
reductio ad absurdum
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:55am

I know . This was more about protesting Alan Jones than anything else. Something that I wholeheartedly believe is long overdue. But after his meltdown the issue was taken up the anti gambling brigade.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:59am

Are you saying that they wouldn't have their knickers in a twist about the Everest promo on the sails if Jones wasn't involved?

That’s certainly the case for many,but not all that were against it.

I saw a segment last night on the project.
The issue they gave the most weight to,was the undue influence that a shock jock has over government decisions.
Most people I’ve spoken to,have objected to that offensive ambush on the radio.
None had any real misgivings over the concept of using it as a backdrop.
WarriSymbol View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriSymbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 12:12pm
and now on to the race.........
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 12:37pm

About 98% I'd say! That's the point about this whole controversy. Once that idiot Jones got involved the whole issue was taken up by the anti-gambling / animal welfare crowd who have basically made stuff up to cause outrage. The whole controversy was social media driven so actual facts rarely came into. Most people who signed that petition did it because they had been led to believe that Alan Jones had forced the Premier to put TAB and Corporate bookie ads on the Opera House . Oh and had sold advertising space on the Opera House. None of which is true. Having seen that all that happened was the Opera House changing colour 12 times in 5 minutes I'd say that people will be saying " Is that it?"

Or as Peggy Lee sang in that wonderful song, " Is That All There Is".
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 12:41pm
Aussies will be able to get their photos on the sails of the iconic Sydney Opera House as part of a new competition to tie in with Samsung  becoming principal commercial partner of the Australian landmark.

Louise Herron Sydney Opera House’s CEO, said: “I am thrilled that on the eve of our 40th anniversary in October, Samsung has partnered with us to enhance people’s experiences of the Opera House and to help us cater to new generations of visitors through new generations of technology.”

Simon Cameron

Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 1:57pm

No, they do it in their factories and board rooms.
I was told last night Samsung sponsor the opera house.
I guess that kick back allowed them to advertise on the sail.
Maybe V’landys should have slipped Ms Heron a paper bag like Samsung g has
adolphus twirk View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 2:27pm
Capitulation to chief Opera House commercial sponsor Samsung. Ok for Korea to control the ad space but how dare an Aussie business muscle in in Samsungs sponsored sails
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 2:55pm
The chief of the Opera House probably has some explaining to do but AGAIN if not for the bully boy tactics this would not be being talked about.

Stop blaming anybody other than Vlandys and Jones. It is 100% there fault.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 2:55pm
their. Embarrassed
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 2:57pm
Because of these two People like Waleed Ally (?) are making outlandish editorials that are getting massive air play.

reductio ad absurdum
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 3:10pm
Listening to the complaints it seemed alot of them didn't want it because of gambling.  Well that high horse just doesn't stand anymore.  They seem to gamble on anything today including on a few things put onto the sails in the past.  All sports are involved so it still doesn't add up.  If the government came to racing NSW and said it would be a good idea and then the Opera House dug in the heels it should of been the govenment sorting it out not the two racing people.  There are alot of bullies out there and some are on both sides.  It shouldn't of been a problem in the first place.

I know I'm biased as racing is both a love and my work.  I'm in the wrong work being a woman but I'm still here and I do it because of the four legged creatures which I love.  Even if it is from afar most of the time.  The media never puts in the whole story just the exciting parts.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 3:42pm

The chief of the Opera House probably has some explaining to do but AGAIN if not for the bully boy tactics this would not be being talked about.

No one denies Jones was pathetic.
V’landys, not so and The chief of the Opera House appears to hav3 acted incompetently or corruptly in her decision making process
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Listening to the complaints it seemed alot of them didn't want it because of gambling.  Well that high horse just doesn't stand anymore.  They seem to gamble on anything today including on a few things put onto the sails in the past.  All sports are involved so it still doesn't add up.  If the government came to racing NSW and said it would be a good idea and then the Opera House dug in the heels it should of been the govenment sorting it out not the two racing people.  There are alot of bullies out there and some are on both sides.  It shouldn't of been a problem in the first place.<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

I know I'm biased as racing is both a love and my work.  I'm in the wrong work being a woman but I'm still here and I do it because of the four legged creatures which I love.  Even if it is from afar most of the time.  The media never puts in the whole story just the exciting parts.

Waleed certainly painted a “slanted” piece last night
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 3:53pm

Gladys doesn't come out of it covered in glory. Part of the public anger is about the idea that these public officials roll over to big money when the majority are against. 
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 4:04pm
The majority wouldn't be against it if the Opera House spokeswoman hadn't made an unreasonable stand.  They were trying to showcase the harbour city.  Yes they get something from it but it was also for the city of Sydney to stand up and be proud.  Why are we always so negative.  The public anger is sometimes lead by people who just want to be in the news.  Life wasn't meant to be easy but I happen to love racing and Sydney.  Why can't we be proud of what our state can achieve.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 4:17pm
This reminds me of an episode of season 3 of Rake.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 4:33pm

Because of these two People like Waleed Ally (?) are making outlandish editorials that are getting massive air play.

Just as much of a flog albeit on the other side
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

The majority wouldn't be against it if the Opera House spokeswoman hadn't made an unreasonable stand.  They were trying to showcase the harbour city.  Yes they get something from it but it was also for the city of Sydney to stand up and be proud.  Why are we always so negative.  The public anger is sometimes lead by people who just want to be in the news.  Life wasn't meant to be easy but I happen to love racing and Sydney.  Why can't we be proud of what our state can achieve.<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

No that’s not right at all.
They had discussions and she approved a less aggressive display.
That was not good enough for PV so he enlisted Jones to help to intimidate her into doing what he wanted.
Let’s remember this is a commercial enterprise demanding use of a public asset to promote their event.
There was no suggestion that they would pay a commercial fee.
Who the hell do they think they are.......
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 5:07pm
They were given the idea by the state government.  Stop commercial this and that.  The Opera house also is a commercial building.  I've even sung there with a school choir (placed second) and love the place.  THis doesn't detract from the opera house.  Everyone has gone overboard and yes some very bad things should of not happened but nothing should of stopped the go ahead in the first place.  They were not detracting just trying to show the best.  COme see the race but don't forget to spend you money and see the other things Sydney has to offer.  That is what it was all about!
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 5:08pm

I am getting good mileage from this graphic.  It's a keeper.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 5:12pm
Yes I do agree he should of just stayed out of it.  Did no good for himself or the racing industry.  But every thing else also has got out of had.  This idea come to them from the government.  It's now got all the nay sayers complaining about everything which has nothing to do with the good it could of done!

The Opera House perhaps should of been spoken too first by the government.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 5:24pm
So the state government runs the Opera House, and the state government runs racing, and the problem is?

Oh yes. People just love to yell at Alan Jones. LOL
I reckon give him and Waleed a gig at the Opera House. Toe to toe, rant to rant, left vs right.

If Waleed wins he gets to take on the Victorian right wing rep in the next round.
If Jones wins he gets to take on Penny Wong.

Have the TAB run a book. Win win.

Call it The Mole Hill.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>