Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2018 The Everest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:11am
If I owned a top sprinter overseas I would be pretty keen on running in Everest this year.
Synthetic View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synthetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:15am
Are there any prospective OS horses? There's still time if so. Aussie & HK sprinters do tend to be dominant given the focus OS on staying blood, but interested to know if there are any northern hemisphere contenders.
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 12:15pm
I would love to see Winx run in this race.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 12:26pm
Harry Angel
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 1:43pm

Gerald Ryan says The Everest already top shelf despite being denied Group 1 status

RAY THOMAS, The Daily Telegraph
  • TRAINER Gerald Ryan has weighed into The Everest Group 1 controversy as he outlines plans to prepare his brilliant sprinters,Trapeze Artist and Menari, for the world’s richest race on turf.

The push by NSW racing officials to have the $13 million The Everest elevated to Group 1 for its second running at Royal Randwick on October 13 has been vetoed by Victoria but Ryan said the off-track debate won’t detract from the quality of the race.

“I don’t think it really matters,’’ he said. “This issue was brought up last year.

“Whether The Everest is a Group 1 or not, everyone knows eventually it will be.

“It is always going to get the best field of sprinters in training anyway.’’

Ryan already has The Everest’s $5 early favourite, Trapeze Artist, safely into the 12-horse field and he is hoping to secure a start for Menari.

“I saw Trapeze Artist the other day and he is doing so well in the paddock he will need to come back in soon because he will get too heavy,’’ he said.

“He looks terrific for a horse that has been out only three weeks. So I will bring him back in Monday week for pre-training. He went out for a spell at the top of his game; he didn’t go out a tired horse.’’

Menari is already back in pre-training and will resume earlier in the spring than Trapeze Artist as Ryan chases an Everest slot.

REIGN FAR FROM OVER

GARY Portelli, who produced another two-year-old winner with first-starterRonstar at Rosehill Gardens last Saturday, is chasing his Everest dream with She Will Reign.

Portelli said She Will Reign, winner of the Golden Slipper last year, would resume training on Monday.

“We want to go for The Everest again, that is the dream,’’ he said. “I would say she will have to win a lead-up race to get a slot.’’

PAT WON’T BE HAPPY UNTIL STAR IS LOCKED IN

TRAINER Pat Webster is hoping his outstanding galloper, Happy Clapper, isn’t forgotten by Everest slot-holders. Happy Clapper has won three Group 1 races this season, including the Epsom-Doncaster Mile double.

Webster is keen to set the galloper for a first-up Everest assault. But he needs to lock in a slot-holder soon.

Webster will need to start working Happy Clapper in the next three weeks and needs to know if he is preparing for an Everest start or a weight-for-age spring campaign.

Happy Clapper has a brilliant first-up record and would be competitive in an Everest.

reductio ad absurdum
    Straight Connector View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight Connector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 1:47pm
    Is Happy Clapper actually a chance of running well in this, or is it just a self promotion exercise.

I actually think he could run top 3, but I dont think he's a viable chance of winning.

Would like to see him there for what it's worth though.
    djebel View Drop Down
    Premium
    Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 1:59pm
    I was a little surprised to see this as his goal until somebody pointed out he resumed this time in with a course record for 1300m so a first up tilt at 1200m is not out of the question.

reductio ad absurdum
    Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 2:00pm
    I read in the Murdoch tabloid that Melbourne is opposing the G1 classification, unless they change the date. Is that true?

Now obviously the date has nothing to do with the quality of the race, so how can they do that?
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 2:01pm
    Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I read in the Murdoch tabloid that Melbourne is opposing the G1 classification, unless Sydney changes the date. Is that true?

Now obviously the date has nothing to do with the quality of the race, so how can they do that?
    djebel View Drop Down
    Premium
    Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 2:03pm
    Yep, All their arguements are pure tripe.

reductio ad absurdum
    3blindmice View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 2:59pm
    Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I read in the Murdoch tabloid that Melbourne is opposing the G1 classification, unless they change the date. Is that true?

Linked elsewhere on TBV Tlaz. RV justification is that the race is too close to the Manikato hence not good for pattern racing. Something in that, but it's more about protecting their spring turf. 

Imo no race which is not open to all comers on a performance basis should ever be given Group status, but it happens for invitational races OS so will no doubt happen here. When the E gets granted G1 status Magic Millions and other select race days should cash in , change their rules and make their races invitational - with only MM sales horses invited of course.

To further ramp up the waning quality of our Group1s someone should bankroll a greys only G1 race, or perhaps for djebel's sake an entire's G1. More seriously though, how about a REAL best sprinter race at level weights? Problem is as we know that without the weight advantage trainers of 3yos and mares would look elsewhere because there are so many low hanging Group events these days.
    djebel View Drop Down
    Premium
    Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 3:09pm
    Every single horse, if good enough, has the opportunity to run in The Everest.

Every single horse, if good enough, DOES NOT have the chance to run in The Magic Millions races.

reductio ad absurdum
    Speediskey View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 3:27pm
    Yeah, not every horse can run in the Arc and it's still the premier race in the world.
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 3:34pm
    I can't see how it makes any difference anyhow. Surely if you are going to spend $20 million on a colt or 100k on a service fee you have sufficient nous to work out which out of the G1 Manikato or Group Nothing Everest is the better race.
    Xavier View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 3:38pm
    I'm sick of the Melb vs Sydney debate.
    grow up and move on fiddlesticks
    Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
    Gay3 View Drop Down
    Moderator Group
    Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 4:24pm

US trainer Wesley Ward - 'We want The Everest'

US trainer Wesley Ward - We want The Everest Lady Aurelia is being aimed at The Everest. Photo: Royal Ascot
    Article Author

Tom Baddock

Leading American trainer Wesley Ward has revealed that the $13m The Everest is at the forefront of his plans for sprinting sensations Lady Aurelia and Bound For Nowhere, that's despite the fact the two will be major competitors at Royal Ascot next month.

The Florida based conditioner made his presence felt on the international stage for the first time in 2009, becoming the first US trainer to win a stakes race at the prestigious Royal Ascot meeting and he now he has his sights set on the riches 'down under'.

Lady Aurelia and Bound For Nowhere are set to return to England next month, headlining the American’s large team which is due to fly out from Kentucky on June 4.

Lady Aurelia will be aiming to defend her crown in the Group I King's Stand Stakes (1000m) while Bound For Nowhere is due to contest the Group I Diamond Jubilee Stakes (1200m) after finishing fourth in the Commonwealth Cup last year and Ward says both races will act as a trial for The Everest (1200m).

“The Everest is at the forefront of what we want to do,” Ward said.

“I got a call from one the owners of Lady Aurelia, Barbara Banke (Stonestreet Farm) and she has her eye on it as well.

“So both Lady Aurelia and Bound For Nowhere are definitely candidates.

“I’ve got some great friends in Australia now, in Gai Waterhouse and Blake Shinn – I’ve spent quite a bit of time with both of them and I’d really love to get down there to see your beautiful country – especially for that kind of money!”

After a big push by the ATC last year to add some international horses to The Everest mix, it would be a massive coup to attract one of America’s leading stables to the race and would no doubt create a massive new wave of media interest.

Lady Aurelia will be seeking her third win in as many years at Royal Ascot following her incredible seven-length romp to take out the Group II Queen Mary Stakes in 2016 and last year’s sprint triumph.

Ward is extremely bullish about her chances again at Royal Ascot, although she was beaten first-up in the Listed Giant’s Causeway Stakes at Keenland.

“I think she is going better than last year, I really do - even though she was beaten,” Ward said.

“She has had a big break, all winter long like she did the year prior, and came into her first race back where we were confident and she was beaten.

“But she is an older mare now and she’s getting heavier and I really think that race did her a lot of good. 

“She’s really going to move forward from there.

“I was looking at her today and she’s a bigger mare now than she was last year and she really dug deep and really put a lot of effort into that race when she got beat.

“Even after the race, it kind of sucked her right down but now she has really put that weight back on and it really has bulked her up, kind of like a weight lifter.

“I think she is really going to run the race of her life once she gets over to there, and that’s what she is going to need to do to win at Royal Ascot.”

While Lady Aurelia’s best performances have been over five furlongs (1000m) she has proven effective over the six furlongs (1200m) in France, the distance of The Everest.

“Lady Aurelia has been out to six furlongs in the Prix Morny,” Ward said.

“As convincing as she was in winning the Queen Mary (1000m) she wasn’t as convincing in the Morny at six furlongs but that was as a two-year-old and that was coming off a big performance where she may have bounced a little bit.

“From what I gather from Australian racing it isn’t like Royal Ascot where it is a really stiff six furlongs.”

While Lady Aurelia has the better credentials, Bound For Nowhere is a sprinter on the rise.

The son of The Factor finished fourth in last year’s Group I Commonwealth Cup (1200m) at Royal Ascot behind top line three-year-olds Caravaggio, Harry Angel and Blue Point at just his third career start.

He returned with a dominant performance in the Grade II Shakertown (1100m) at Keenland last month, careering away to score by close to five lengths.

“I think he was bit unseasoned when we went over last year, he had only had two runs and now that he’s got the seasoning underneath him and he’s got that explosive race in him I think he's going to run a big race.

“I think he will get out to a mile eventually and at Royal Ascot you really do need a true miler to get the six furlongs.

“I won it a few years back with Undrafted who certainly got a mile very easily.”

Lady Aurelia is currently the $4.50 second favourite for the Group I King Stand Stakes behind Battaash at $4 while Bound For Nowhere is quoted at $17 in the Diamond Jubilee.

Early markets on The Everest have Lady Aurelia at $21 while Bound For Nowhere is currently unquoted however that would no doubt change with a winning performance at Royal Ascot.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
    djebel View Drop Down
    Premium
    Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 4:26pm
    She is a mare and everybody has told us in the Winx story that it is just too dangerous for mares.............
    reductio ad absurdum
    djebel View Drop Down
    Premium
    Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 3:28pm
    The Tin Man

reductio ad absurdum
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 3:42pm
    Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

She is a mare and everybody has told us in the Winx story that it is just too dangerous for mares.............

4YO mare with 9 starts
    6YO mare with 35 starts
    Gay3 View Drop Down
    Moderator Group
    Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 4:19pm
    AND she hasn't made it here, run in the race or won it yet.
    Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
    djebel View Drop Down
    Premium
    Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 4:23pm
    I hope she comes and runs to her best. Her best may not be good enough.

Winx could have gone to England and run 6 lengths below her best and still beaten the best milers they have up there at the moment.

reductio ad absurdum
    Sneck View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 7:04pm
    Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

No, I said the cost benefit isn't there to justify it for Winx. I wouldn't take a more who is dominating Australian WFA races and breaking prizemoney records to Europe.
    This is a different case.
    djebel View Drop Down
    Premium
    Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 2:09pm

Waller and Weir combine for Brave Smash's Everest bid

The two biggest stables in Australian racing will combine for a bid at The Everest with Chris Waller Racing securing Brave Smash for its slot in October's $13 million showcase.

The Darren Weir-trained Japanese import ran third in the inaugural running of The Everest, in the Australian Turf Club slot, and becomes the second sprinter to change slot holders following the lead of  Everest champion Redzel.

Australian Bloodstock, the managing owner of Brave Smash, and Waller Racing came to terms on Monday.

“The Everest has captured the attention of the entire world. We are in a very fortunate position to hold a slot and be in a position to showcase the stable’s best sprinter when the time is right,” Waller said.

“However when the opportunity comes to have a horse of the calibre of Brave Smash to represent the slot for my shareholders, it was a straight-forward decision.

“We have a horse which has been proven in the best company of sprinters since arriving in Australia a little over 12 months ago and I have a huge amount of respect for Australian Bloodstock which are industry leaders in targeting and importing tried international horses”.

Australian Bloodstock’s Jamie Lovett was delighted to get Brave Smash back into The Everest and feels he is a better chance of success this year.

“We feel that Brave Smash deserves another shot at the Everest. This year he is a group 1 winner, with form around the best sprinters in the world,” Lovett said.

“Darren Weir was very keen to secure a slot early this year and target the race. To be given the opportunity to represent Hall of Fame trainer Chris Waller and his partners in their slot is a huge thrill.

“The Everest race has already captured the attention of trainers and connections all over the world. It is something that our connections are very keen to be part of. We are very thankful and excited to now have that chance again”.

Meanwhile, Waller has decided to give Youngstar the chance to become the fifth filly to complete the Queensland Oaks-Derby double.

“Youngstar has pulled up well following her win the group 1 Queensland Oaks and the decision has been made to push on to group 1 Queensland Derby,” Waller said in a statement.

“We will continue to monitor her progress up until Saturday morning as I have been mindful of not overtaxing her, however I was very happy with her gallop this morning and she continues to handle her time in Queensland exceptionally well.”

Queensland Oaks runner-up Another Dollar has been spelled.

reductio ad absurdum
    djebel View Drop Down
    Premium
    Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 2:10pm
    Jamie Lovett must have the most amazing negotiating skills.

Waller WTF ?

reductio ad absurdum
    Speediskey View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 3:22pm
    You do realise Waller doesn’t actually own the slot yeah? His clients own the majority of it. Fairly sure winx’s owners have a fair portion of it.
    linghi11 View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 3:23pm
    Wouldn’t you string your many owners along for a bit in case you actually have a decent sprinter among the hundreds of horses in your own stable? It’s not like BS has any chance.
    to the victor
    Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 3:24pm
    Pretty sure the Winx team put up the money for the slot in case she ran in it
    djebel View Drop Down
    Premium
    Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 3:30pm
    Originally posted by Speediskey Speediskey wrote:

You do realise Waller doesn’t actually own the slot yeah? His clients own the majority of it. Fairly sure winx’s owners have a fair portion of it.

Whoever owns the slot - WTF are they thinking ?

reductio ad absurdum
    early4lunch View Drop Down
    Champion
    Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 4:35pm
    I'm sick of the Everest already...and months to go yet.
    djebel View Drop Down
    Premium
    Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 4:36pm
    Originally posted by early4lunch early4lunch wrote:

I'm sick of the Everest already...and months to go yet.

The Melbourne Cup Trophy tour started yesterday. What a load of gelati that is.

reductio ad absurdum
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>