Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Bitcoin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 4:09pm
https://www.coingecko.com/en/price_charts/lumens/usd

Check out the max chart, not the daily chart ....
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

$22,000 ... your money PT?

... might look at the other options ... should get a variety I suppose ... Rosscoe, Tlaz, when you guys are finished counting your "ill gotten gains", any thoughts on other currencies you would recommend alongside Litecoin ... Cheers!

As far as I can see the only real point of cryptocurrencies is anonymity and Monero does that better than all of them- certainly better than Bitcoin. I'd never heard of it until 5 minutes ago when I checked so I could answer your question. I note that it went up 2760% last year- should have checked earlier.Big smile

Checking again- it's gone up another zillion % this year. US50c at the beginning of 2016- US$280 now.Shocked

But they are all far too irrationally exuberant at this stage of the cycle for my blood. Are any of them worth anything?
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 1:42am
Cheers guys! ... we certainly live in interesting times!Big smile

I have no doubt that some of the platforms will have great uptake, and value, and some will go the way of My Space ... just like buying a yearling!Wink
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 7:56am
Litecoin currently $190.00 AUD, up around 22% in the last 12 hours or so.

I don’t know why the sudden rush to buy this Crypto to push the price up to this level however I am not complaining!

Why??? (from another source) .....

“Some are saying that money is moving from BTC. Others are saying it's just undervalued (which I happen to agree with, but my opinion is not that valuable at this stage) and yet another theory is that Litecoin is apparently doing some campaigning/adverstising... and at a good time to do it.”

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 8:12am

ASX to use blockchain to handle share transactions

Published: December 7 2017 - 10:54AM

Australia's main stock exchange has announced one of the finance industry's biggest bets yet on blockchain.

ASX Ltd will start using blockchain - the ledger software that makes bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies possible - to process equity transactions, according to a statement on Thursday.

Digital Asset Holdings, the start-up run by former JPMorgan Chase & Co banker Blythe Masters, will supply the technology.

"We're the first exchange to consider taking this step," said Peter Hiom, ASX deputy chief executive said on a media conference call.

Blockchain is massively hyped and banks have conducted myriad tests of the ledger technology, with few live deployments. Proponents tout it as a more efficient and less expensive way to track trades.

Embrace technology

"It surprises me that ASX is doing it ahead of other big exchanges," said Nader Naeimi, Sydney-based head of dynamic markets at AMP Capital Investors.

"When the technology becomes available, you have to embrace it."

No date for the shift has been announced for replacing ASX's Clearing House Electronic Subregister System, known as Chess, however it should be operational for market feedback at the end of March. The timing of its final implementation would depend on consultation with stakeholders, the ASX said.

Blockchain is a shared, verifiable and permanent record of data that is maintained by a network of computers.

The new technology would let customers lower costs and introduce new services from the real-time post-trade data, Mr Hiom said.

The system would be designed without access barriers to non-affiliated market operators and clearing and settlement facilities. It would also give ASX customers choice over how they used its post-trade services.

"The Chess system's been around since the '90s," said Gareth James, an analyst at Morningstar. "Imagine if you're using any software on your PC from the '90s?"

Marginal cost

Chess was scheduled to be upgraded even before the exchange had considered blockchain, ASX chief executive Dominic Stevens said.

ASX therefore viewed the switch as a "marginal cost" that would be part of the company's capital expenditure program, he said.

"The costs in rolling out this system I don't think are too dissimilar to us having rolled out a traditional system," Mr Stevens said on the call.

The exchange also invested more in Digital Asset, bringing the total raised by the start-up from investors including JPMorgan and CME Group to more than $US115 million ($152 million), according to a statement from the firm.

ASX bought a minority stake in Digital Asset through a $14.9 million investment in January last year, to design a new post-trade solution for the Australian equity market.

"After so much hype surrounding distributed ledger technology, today's announcement delivers the first meaningful proof that the technology can live up to its potential," Ms Masters, Digital Asset's chief executive, said in a statement.

ASX shares rose as much as 1.5 per cent in early trading, and were 1.4 per cent higher at $57.76 as at 12.27 p.m. in Sydney, the highest since January 2008.

Bloomberg and Reuters

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/business/banking-and-finance/update-1-australias-asx-selects-blockchain-to-cut-costs-20171206-p4yxhe.html

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 8:15am

... someone?

Bitcoin: $64m in cryptocurrency stolen in 'sophisticated' hack, exchange says

Mining marketplace NiceHash suspends operations while it co-operates with authorities over ‘professional attack’, urging users to change passwords

Not suggesting it is this case but North Korea has been trying to hack and steal Bitcoin and other cryptos for some time Some believe they have been successful. 
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 9:59pm
3 words..... New World Order. American dollars aren’t worth the paper their printed on. Follow where the Rothschilds & George Soros put they’re money. Creating market chaos and smashing the American dollar is the name of the game.
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 11:05am
Originally posted by SHOVHOG SHOVHOG wrote:

3 words..... New World Order. American dollars aren’t worth the paper their printed on. Follow where the Rothschilds & George Soros put they’re money. Creating market chaos and smashing the American dollar is the name of the game.

Hasn’t the internet democratized information? Someone can promote their views widely without getting buy-in from editors or other gatekeepers? That’s what Trump has done with Twitter.

One really important thing that’s happened is that reputations don’t seem to matter as much at this point in history. Maybe it will come back. You have news media that have developed their reputation for honesty and integrity. And something that’s gone viral is a conspiracy theory that the news media, the mainstream media, are in a conspiracy, and it’s embellished in crazy ways like the Rothschilds or George Soros, or somebody, are in a conspiracy to destroy America and have bought the media and are controlling them. Those are the extreme, crazy forms of the narrative.

Robert Shiller

https://qz.com/1067557/robert-shiller-wrote-the-book-on-bubbles-he-says-the-best-example-right-now-is-bitcoin/

WASHINGTON – In a recent interview to FOX News billionaire philanthropist and investor claimed that the Bitcoin bubble was about to bust soon. When asked why he thought that was most likely, he said one word “money laundering”. His assertion was that regulators were about to end the restraint they’ve had with Cryptocurrencies. Bitcoin can be transferred anywhere in the world within 10 minutes and its value was expected to go unto $100,000.

https://channel24news.com/2017/07/george-soros-bitcoin-crash-imminent/

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 12:17pm
Bloody frustrating game this one!!! ... just waiting for my Bpay deposit to process, so I can get some Litecoin in the wallet, is costing me every minute!Cry

Doing very nicely Rosscoe, > $210 now!Thumbs Up

You would think there was a better faster, more secure and transparent means of transferring currency, wouldn't you ... Ermm 

So BTC Markets only trade in the majors Rosscoe? ... who would you use for a punt on Stellar Lumens?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 12:43pm

Bloody frustrating game this one!!! ... just waiting for my Bpay deposit to process, so I can get some Litecoin in the wallet, is costing me every minute!Cry

You would think there was a better faster, more secure and transparent means of transferring currency, wouldn't you ... Ermm 

So BTC Markets only trade in the majors Rosscoe? ... who would you use for a punt on Stellar Lumens?

Coinspot if you want to pay way overs for it. Kraken for the best price but then you have the problem of funding it with US$ and verifying id.

Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 1:55pm
Dr E, Tiz is correct with Coinspot & fees are way over others around. BTC Markets is one of the best around however only plays with the big guns, like Litecoin. Be patient with the transfer, if you use POLi you can deposit more quickly.

See link of exchanges below:- the choice is widespread. Refer to Index at the bottom of link for further details.

https://www.finder.com.au/cryptocurrency/exchanges
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 3:37pm

greed got the better of you Doc Wink
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

When asked why he thought that was most likely, he said one word, “money laundering”.

Hopefully the prediction is more accurate than the arithmetic !
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Common sense got to me Whale.  

If the ASX have been doing their due diligence for 2 years, and are have announced their decision to move their transaction clearance to the blockchain technology, guess who's been responsible the recent run on cryptocurrency ... and it ain't uninformed mug punters like you and meWink 

... only a matter of time before the banks and big financial institutions work out how best for them to move as well.

I'm not going overboard, just risking what I can afford to lose.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 5:27pm

Common sense got to me Whale.  

If the ASX have been doing their due diligence for 2 years, and are have announced their decision to move their transaction clearance to the blockchain technology, guess who's been responsible the recent run on cryptocurrency ... and it ain't uninformed mug punters like you and meWink 

... only a matter of time before the banks and big financial institutions work out how best for them to move as well.

I'm not going overboard, just risking what I can afford to lose.

Success of blockchain doesn't have to have anything to do with success of cryptocurrency. Bitcoin is merely the first app that used blockchain.

Bitcoin may be worthless by the end of next year but blockchain will still be a huge success.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 5:30pm

[QUOTE=Dr E][QUOTE=Whale][QUOTE=Dr E]Bloody frustrating game this one!!! ... just waiting for my Bpay deposit to process, so I can get some Litecoin in the wallet, is costing me every minute!Cry

Y

C

Success of blockchain doesn't have to have anything to do with success of cryptocurrency. Bitcoin is merely the first app that used blockchain.

Bitcoin may be worthless by the end of next year but blockchain will still be a huge success.

Doc did post he doesn't understand it, he was correct LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 6:14pm
Dr E will go straight to the top of nerd class if he manages to buy Stellar Lumens in Australia.Geek

I would buy Bitcoin on the Australian exchange you are already id verified and active on with POLI, then transfer them to a crypto exchange like Changelly.com, then swap the Bitcoin for Stellar Lumen.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 8:48pm
South Korea has outlawed trading in Bitcoin futures. The thin edge of the wedge ? Perhaps significant, as SK accounts for something over 20% of Bitcoin trades.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 9:45pm

<span style="font-size: 12px;">So BTC Markets only trade in the majors Rosscoe? ... who would you use for a punt on Stellar Lumens?</span>

The $2,000 per day (at least initially) limit on deposits is quite irritating. What kind of person comes up with such a tiny amount? I deposited twice that amount in cash to my TAB account at a tiny pub in south west Brisbane when running a play a few weeks ago for Christ sake!
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 9:52pm
yes the limit stopped me from buying maybe 2 years ago, thought it wasn't worth it Cry

Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

<span style="font-size: 12px;">So BTC Markets only trade in the majors Rosscoe? ... who would you use for a punt on Stellar Lumens?</span>

The $2,000 per day (at least initially) limit on deposits is quite irritating. What kind of person comes up with such a tiny amount? I deposited twice that amount in cash to my TAB account at a tiny pub in south west Brisbane when running a play a few weeks ago for Christ sake!

Yes $2k initially E&E, there are other levels for those that want to invest more via EFT .... Levels 2 & 3 upgrades - Level 2 allows $8k & Level 3 allows $20k to be deposited. Just a matter of clicking on the “increase limit”!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:21am

I don't think it will go over the cliff, there is a limited amount of bitcoins , 21 million,   17 million are in circulation now.

Despite all the warnings of a ponzi scheme i think cryptocurrency is the way of the future, even financial institutions are looking to be involved

I hate it for a number of reasons, I missed the boat, don't understand it, and am wondering if traditional currencies will collapse

I don't understand you Whale ... you successfully quoted me, quoting you!LOL 

(that sounds disturbingly like a lyric from an ABBA song!)
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 1:39am
$260 Litecoin ... still waiting for my Bpay deposit to clear!

Starting to feel like i did taking $8 fixed Invinzabeel last Friday!Cry
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Rosscoe Rosscoe wrote:

Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Yes $2k initially E&E, there are other levels for those that want to invest more via EFT .... Levels 2 & 3 upgrades - Level 2 allows $8k & Level 3 allows $20k to be deposited. Just a matter of clicking on the “increase limit”!

Yes but it seems you need some kind of Trading history to upgrade. My request to upgrade was rejected almost immediately. But even $8k or $20k is peanuts. Why the low amounts? They have done a full ID check and can easily meet AUSTRAC requirements.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 9:11am

it would be sad if you finally bought in and the market crashed the next day Smile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 9:23am
What is this exchange that only lets you buy small amounts?
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:45am

it would be sad if you finally bought in and the market crashed the next day Smile

I can immediately think of sadder things ... such as having your life ... Ouch

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:47am

I can immediately think of sadder things ... such as having your life ..Ouch

at least I can sleep and am not posting here at 3am LOL
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:48am

What is this exchange that only lets you buy small amounts?

BTC Markets - who do you use Tlaz, or are you just being funny?
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:52am
Litecoin $300 ... still no available funds, now I'm starting to really get a bit pissy!Cry

Rosscoe, fantastic call.Clap

Your original dabble owes you nothing, so what's your call now?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>