Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Bitcoin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I read a story a minute ago about an early Bitcoin miner who had accumulated 7500 of them, all on a hard drive, which he mistakenly threw away and never found. That's about US$110 million.

Sounds extremely odd to me that he wouldn't have a backup, either a recovery passphrase or a QR code. But I suppose when they were only worth a few cents they were lax.

I believe he is still trawling through rubbish dumps LOL

can you store code on email or cloud ?

Bitcoin is the hottest of commodities until you actually try to spend it

http://www.afr.com/opinion/bitcoin-is-the-hottest-of-commodities-until-you-actually-try-to-spend-it-20171203-gzy0l8

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 9:50am
I'm getting in on the new Venezualan cryptocurrency on the ground floor.Thumbs Up
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:19am

Originally posted by ThreeBears ThreeBears wrote:

$2400?? I have today's value at 14,805. Why so little?

I only had 0.16 bitcoin.

you like to live on the edge, .16 bitcoin LOL
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:20am
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:22am
and this, make up your own mind :

Nobel Laureate Economist Predicts a Bitcoin Crash “Won’t Go to Zero, It Will Just Come Down

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/nobel-laureate-economist-predicts-bitcoin-crash-wont-go-to-zero-it-will-just-come-down/

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Originally posted by ThreeBears ThreeBears wrote:

$2400?? I have today's value at 14,805. Why so little?

I only had 0.16 bitcoin.

you like to live on the edge, .16 bitcoin LOL

As I explained, after I decided not to buy an investment amount of Bitcoin, a bad decision as it turned out, I only bought $200 worth so I could get experience with all the technicalities involved with buying, selling and using bitcoin- wallets, tumblers, PGP etc. So that in the future, if I I ever need to buy a cryptocurrency and make an anonymous purchase on the darknet, I can.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 9:42pm

I'm getting in on the new Venezualan cryptocurrency on the ground floor.Thumbs Up

I liked it.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Rosscoe Rosscoe wrote:

I have just taken the plunge into the unknown strictly by using technical & fundamental analysis with cryptos! Will update this thread from time to time.

As this is a brand new experience for me and certainly something I’m still trying to get my head around, I’m investing on a small scale to begin.

So what have I done?I Invested in Litecoin!

Without going into specifics & detail, I like what this crypto has to offer!

Am I sceptic? Yes sort of however I do think with changes to the digital format & the ever increasing technology of the world this space is worth a shot!

I bought Litecoin at AUD $115 so just a little profit at present!

Where will it go? ,,,, to early to tell! Could it collapse just like the dot-com Boom? Maybe, maybe not! Very speculative at present but worth a throw at the stumps in a small way ...

Anyway I don’t have my life savings on this revolutionary currency!

Anyone else taken a plunge or dabble?

My investing always employs being ahead of the herd,,, I may be a little late with this however the growth at present could well be the start of what’s to come .......

Litecoin now $145 AUD, more investing has taken place by me with this crypto since the introduction. Treading wearily but a great positive start since focussing on the technicals. I only wish I had jumped earlier but don’t we all!
Happy to at least to have banked positive gains & exposure to this sector ... whilst others are still procrastinating. I am now waiting patiently for the next pull-back.
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 8:04am
What do you use for a wallet, Rosscoe?

I use a hardware wallet, a Ledger Wallet  HW.!. It was the cheapest hardware wallet I could find. No longer being made. It's only for Bitcoin.

https://www.ledgerwallet.com/products/ledger-hw-1

Their Ledger Nano S is fancier and more expensive and supports Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum and altcoins. It's the one I would use if I started again.

https://www.ledgerwallet.com/products/ledger-nano-s

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 8:17am
Please explain, why do you need a wallet ? Can't you just buy them via somewhere like BTC Markets ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 8:28am

Please explain, why do you need a wallet ? Can't you just buy them via somewhere like BTC Markets ?

You buy them at an exchange like BTC and you can keep them at BTC but then you are relying on BTC security. That's probably safe but there have been major hackings of exchanges.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 8:33am
I see so you treat them as a physical item like gold and therefore need storage ?  Can't you simply store the code on email or Cloud or is that too insecure?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 8:43am

I see so you treat them as a physical item like gold and therefore need storage ?  Can't you simply store the code on email or Cloud or is that too insecure?

Not possible. You need a bitcoin wallet to send and receive bitcoin.

https://www.coinstreet.limited/i-store-bitcoin/
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 8:48am
thanks
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:00am
They send them out randomly as junk mail to people If you haven't received one yet, you likely will
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:00am
From an economist

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

From an economist

It must be hard even for drug dealers on the darknet setting a price with the large fluctuations.Tongue
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 4:45pm

thanks

This is a good article on wallets.

https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/wallets/
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 5:31pm

thanks

This is a good article on wallets.

https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/wallets/

I would use GreenAddress if I didn't want to pay for a hardware wallet.

https://greenaddress.it/en/
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 12:55am

You buy them at an exchange like BTC and you can keep them at BTC but then you are relying on BTC security. That's probably safe but there have been major hackings of exchanges.

Been having a read of some of the suggested info, and I was already confused, but this makes no sense ... aren't cryptos generated by miners who build blockchains that are essentially masses of impenetrable secure transactional records ?

So why don't the exchanges just operate within the blockchain environment ... cheaper and safer they reckon ... no?

Should I just take a pin to the Magic Million Sale catalogue instead?Confused
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 12:53am
... someone?

Bitcoin: $64m in cryptocurrency stolen in 'sophisticated' hack, exchange says

Mining marketplace NiceHash suspends operations while it co-operates with authorities over ‘professional attack’, urging users to change passwords

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 12:35pm
$19,000 Shocked
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 1:29pm
Time to move in ... 

The ASX has announced that it will replace CHESS, software used for the clearing and settlement of equity transactions in Australia, with a distributed ledger (blockchain) solution.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 2:41pm
$22,000 ... your money PT?

... might look at the other options ... should get a variety I suppose ... Rosscoe, Tlaz, when you guys are finished counting your "ill gotten gains", any thoughts on other currencies you would recommend alongside Litecoin ... Cheers!
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:14pm
What to make of it ! Nice if you got in early, but then you are agonizing what to do. A good dilemma though.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:25pm
Tiaz, sorry missed your earlier post about which wallet? ....

My money is held on the BTC Markets exchange, I’ve checked security and am happy enough not to worry about a wallet. Particularly with the cold & hot wallet system they use. Also the two-factor code.

Dr E, I’d be sticking with the Big Players,, “Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum, Ripple.”

Out of those after my own research Litecoin is my favoured pick after Bitcoin. Ethereum comes in 3rd, Ripple last.

I know plenty of people speculating on the small caps,,, not for me!

https://www.finder.com.au/litecoin
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:42pm
Come on Rosscoe, surely you have one speculative option to throw in the pot ... you know I love a Roughie!!!Wink

Might wait till next year to buy that share in a yearling ... might be able to buy a stable full by then!!!LOL

Thanks and good luck!Thumbs Up
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:43pm
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:52pm
Dr E, the speccie is “Stellar Lumens” however I’m not a holder yet,,,, just watching quietly.

Saw that hack & attack.I think some of the exchanges are second rate, BTC Markets appears to be fundamentally very sound. I’m a small player, dipping my toes in. If I decide to become more serious I’ll talked the necessary precautions.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:55pm
take the necessary precautions above
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>