Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Bitcoin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 9:05pm
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 8:37am
http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-price-falls-1000-minutes-erase-24-hour-gains/
Pete Rizzo    
 Nov 29, 2017 at 20:00 UTC
NEWS

The price of bitcoin fell more than $1,000 in the span of about 10 minutes on the CoinDesk Bitcoin Price Index (BPI) today, just hours after the cryptocurrency set an all-time high above $11,000.

Beginning about 19:20 UTC, sell orders began piling up on exchanges in what was perhaps one of the market's most impressive successions of red candles in some time. After showing signs of stability at roughly $10,545 at 18:30 UTC, the price hit a low of $9,290 at 19:30.

However, some exchanges were more affected than others.

According to social media, the price decline coincides with reports that GDAX, the exchange offering of VC-backed cryptocurrency startup Coinbase, had seen a service outage. Data from GDAX indicates the exchange hit a low of $8,593.

Social media reports also suggest that Bitstamp and Gemini have faced outages today, at a time that coincides with increasing mainstream interest in cryptocurrencies.

The more than 11 percent decline marked the lowest total observed on the BPI since Nov. 26 when the price of bitcoin hit a low of $8,757.

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 8:46am
if you had bought it at 8 cents you would not be too upset
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 8:47am
As long as you didn't lose your digital receipt, as many have claimed to have done. 
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 8:50am
haha yes that guy who threw away his computer, is still trawling through rubbish dumps looking for it Ouch
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 8:53am
ABC(where most quality content lives) Rear Vision had a very informative story on Bitcoin a few months ago, how it works and a history of it. About 25 min, simply explained but very informative

Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 11:41pm
I have just taken the plunge into the unknown strictly by using technical & fundamental analysis with cryptos! Will update this thread from time to time.

As this is a brand new experience for me and certainly something I’m still trying to get my head around, I’m investing on a small scale to begin.

So what have I done?I Invested in Litecoin!

Without going into specifics & detail, I like what this crypto has to offer!

Am I sceptic? Yes sort of however I do think with changes to the digital format & the ever increasing technology of the world this space is worth a shot!

I bought Litecoin at AUD $115 so just a little profit at present!

Where will it go? ,,,, to early to tell! Could it collapse just like the dot-com Boom? Maybe, maybe not! Very speculative at present but worth a throw at the stumps in a small way ...

Anyway I don’t have my life savings on this revolutionary currency!

Anyone else taken a plunge or dabble?

My investing always employs being ahead of the herd,,, I may be a little late with this however the growth at present could well be the start of what’s to come .......
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 2:38am
What exchange did you use to buy at Roscoe? Any referral program at all?
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 6:57am
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

What exchange did you use to buy at Roscoe? Any referral program at all?

E&E, I opted to use BTC Markets .... fees seemed to be cheaper for transactions. I also looked at Coinspot. I wanted an exchange that dealt in AUD for currency conversion.

Also the process with BTC Markets was relatively simple, Coinspot not so!

BTC Markets use only the major players of Cryptocurrency.

Interestingly the price of Litecoin is now over &131 AUD at time of writing however the fluctuations are quite extreme.

There are stacks of exchanges so you need to shop around.

Fees for BTC Markets below:-

https://www.btcmarkets.net/fees
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 12:13pm
Can you buy anything with LTC, you can with BTC, or is it simply a vehicle for speculation.  There are 80 million LTC compared to 21 million BTC so intrinsically less valuable.

I have a feeling people create cryptocurrencies, keep a million for themselves and sit back hoping to make a fortune if they take off

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 12:17pm
As per that podcast, the security feature with Bitcoin involves large network of people around the world holding the receipts, so they can't be lost by a single or several hacking incidents. As part of the deal these people receive free Bitcoins
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 12:20pm
Is it "immune" from govt intervention ? Let's suppose the govt deems it harmful to the national interest, where is the bitcoin holder then ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 12:24pm
It isn't, but Joseph Stiglitz was calling for it to be made illegal this week
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 12:28pm
will not be made illegal, the big players are invested now and government doesn't dare to upset them
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 12:29pm
No it wont
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 12:32pm
At around $500 billion market value for all major ones, it is still pretty small change. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 12:32pm
Nothing can be guaranteed.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 12:38pm
The "new" Gold, some say. I think the US govt banned private holding of gold during the Depression. It had to be surrendered in exchange for dollars. Under pain of prosecution, if you were caught.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 4:42pm
The guy who threw away his computer and lost millions would have had encryption stored in Documents I assume. Can't you store it in email or Cloud to make sure this does not happen ?

I have no idea how it works
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

At around $500 billion market value for all major ones, it is still pretty small change. 

In global terms, yes. The US debt will go up by more when the "trickle-down" tax cuts get through.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 11:10pm
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 12:21am
The Litecoin concept:-

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-litecoin-4151693

Using the the same strategies as for Stock Selection using Technical Analysis:-

https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@crypto-ta/how-to-use-technical-analysis-to-profit-from-trading-cryptocurrency

I’ll be using the same principles for stop-losses which is going to be a trial & error experiment!

I believe I have purchased the stock nicely at a dip, timing is crucial in this space.

Early, early days and plenty to learn ......

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 11:02am
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 11:32am
I sold my Bitcoin for $2400 this morning which I bought for $200 in January. Am I happy? I was seriously thinking of buying 10k or 20k worth.Ouch C'est la vie.LOL

Had a Bitcoin freakout this morning too. I thought they were gone for a stressful half hour workout with my bitcoin wallet.
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 1:50pm
$2400?? I have today's value at 14,805. Why so little?
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 2:07pm
he probably bought a % of a coin
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by ThreeBears ThreeBears wrote:

$2400?? I have today's value at 14,805. Why so little?

I only had 0.16 bitcoin.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 2:47pm
It is difficult to avoid the impression of a speculative bubble with this, it is not as if it is a new "product", people have had plenty of time to assess it's intrinsic worth. What has changed that would suddenly change assessments of that ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 3:23pm
I read a story a minute ago about an early Bitcoin miner who had accumulated 7500 of them, all on a hard drive, which he mistakenly threw away and never found. That's about US$110 million.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I read a story a minute ago about an early Bitcoin miner who had accumulated 7500 of them, all on a hard drive, which he mistakenly threw away and never found. That's about US$110 million.

Sounds extremely odd to me that he wouldn't have a backup, either a recovery passphrase or a QR code. But I suppose when they were only worth a few cents they were lax.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>