Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Shoals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shoals
    Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 1:52am
Has anyone heard about plans for this filly in the spring? And what's the latest with Freedman?

On what she did in three starts in her first prep as a 2yo, you'd have to think she's potentially a G1 filly if she can run a strong mile.

Along with the Hayes trio of Catchy, Tulip and Formality, she's one to follow in everything she's in, and I'd expect she potentially has more improvement than most.
Sunline...simply supreme
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 11:35am
Can't see any trials or jumpouts this prep, listed as in work at Mornington
Hoffy95 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoffy95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 11:46am
http://www.freedman.com.au/latestNews/shoals_returns_with_guineas

Shoals returns with Guineas targets

7th July, 2017

Unbeaten two-year-old filly Shoals has returned to the Pinecliff stable of Lee and Anthony Freedman in preparation for her spring campaign.

Trainer’s Lee and Anthony Freedman have initially pencilled in the Group One Thousand Guineas at Caulfield as a spring target for the daughter of Fastnet Rock, early markets have her rated as an $11 second favourite.

Shoals enjoyed a two-month spell following her impressive victory in the Group Two Percy Sykes Stakes over 1200 metres at Randwick during the Championships.

“She has returned in terrific order, she has developed further during the break” Anthony said.

“Like it is with all fillies, the aim during the spring will be to enhance her value and gain black-type for her owners (Jonathan Munz and Arrowfield Stud).

Naturally the Thousand Guineas will be her initial target”.

Shoals is currently rated a $11 second favourite in features markets for the Group One on October 14.

Freedman said Foxwedge filly Petition has also returned to the stable a fortnight ago and would more than likely be aimed towards the feature mares races throughout the spring.

“She has done extremely well during her break, she looks tremendous.

“Her ultimate goal will be the Myer Classic during Cup week at Flemington, however we will assess her form before confirming our plans”

Petition is rated a $15 chance in the Myer Classic with Sportsbet.

Another spring prospect Mr Sneaky has also recently returned to the stable following his mishap at the barriers before the Scone Guineas.

“He has improved with the break, we will continue to take him through the grades early in the spring but we expect him to be up to Group level” Freedman reported.

Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 2:42pm
Cheers, Hoff.
Sunline...simply supreme
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 1:34am
Mark Zahra wins at Flemington on board Shoals (Image: Racing Photos)

Shoals (Image: Racing Photos)

Unbeaten Shoals ready for Spring

Ben Asgari@BenAsgariRacing

12:37pm

, (

Hall of Fame trainer Lee Freedman couldn't be happier with the way unbeaten filly Shoals is progressing this preparation.

Unbeaten in three starts, the daughter of Fastnet Rock was last seen recording a narrow victory on a wet track in the Percy Sykes Stakes (1200m) at Randwick in April. 

Freedman said a jumpout at Flemington on Friday would determine when Shoals resumes.

"She may head to the Quezette Stakes (1100m) at Caulfield on Saturday week or we might wait another week but we'll just see how she trials," Freedman said.

"She's in great condition. She had a wonderful spell up at Arrowfield in Scone and we're really looking forward to getting her back to the races.

"We looked after her during the autumn and she showed enormous talent and we're hoping she can improve on that.

"Obviously the Thousand Guineas will be the race for her against her own age and sex, the way she knuckled down on that Heavy track at Randwick over 1200 suggests that 1400m would be no problem and it wouldn't be too much of a stretch getting to 1600m with her."

Freedman said Santa Ana Lane, a late scratching from last Sunday's Bletchingly Stakes due to the Heavy track, would likely have his next start in Saturday week's Regal Roller Stakes (1200m) at Caulfield.

"Between the high winds the week before and the Heavy track last weekend we've lost our way with him a little bit but he should be fine," he said.

"He'll have a top-up jumpout at Flemington this Friday and then he'll probably head to the Regal Roller."

Sunline...simply supreme
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 7:56pm
Resumes on Saturday at Caulfield.
Sunline...simply supreme
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 8:05pm
Just realised she's out of a half-sister to Redoute's Choice!
Sunline...simply supreme
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 8:06pm
FASTNET ROCK (AUS)
b. 2001
DANEHILL (USA)
b. 1986
DANZIG (USA)
b. 1977 [IC]
NORTHERN DANCER (CAN)
b. 1961 [BC]
 NEARCTIC (CAN)br. 1954 
NATALMA (USA) b. 1957 *
PAS DE NOM (USA)
br. 1968
ADMIRALS VOYAGE (USA)dkb/br. 1959 
PETITIONER (GB)b. 1952 *
RAZYANA (USA)
b. 1981
HIS MAJESTY (USA)
b. 1968 [C]
RIBOT (ITY)b. 1952 [CP]
FLOWER BOWL (USA)b. 1952 *
SPRING ADIEU (CAN)
b. 1974
BUCKPASSER (USA)b. 1963 [C]
NATALMA (USA) b. 1957 *
PICCADILLY CIRCUS (AUS)
b. 1995
ROYAL ACADEMY (USA)
b. 1987 [BI]
NIJINSKY (CAN)
b. 1967 [CS]
 NORTHERN DANCER (CAN) b. 1961 [BC]
FLAMING PAGE (CAN)b. 1959 *
CRIMSON SAINT (USA)*
ch. 1969
CRIMSON SATAN (USA)ch. 1959 
BOLERO ROSE (USA)ch. 1958 
GATANA (AUS)
b. 1989
MARAUDING (NZ)
b. 1984
SIR TRISTRAM (IRE)b. 1971 
BISCALOWE (AUS)ch. 1979 
TWIGALAE (AUS)
b. 1979
TWIG MOSS (FR)b. 1973 
HONDALAE (NZ)br. 1968 
THE BROKEN SHORE (AUS)
ch. 2009
HUSSONET (USA)
ch. 1991
MR. PROSPECTOR (USA)
b. 1970 [BC]
RAISE A NATIVE (USA)
ch. 1961
NATIVE DANCER (USA)gr. 1950 [IC]
RAISE YOU (USA)ch. 1946 *
GOLD DIGGER (USA)*
b. 1962
NASHUA (USA)b. 1952 [IC]
SEQUENCE (USA)b. 1946 
SACAHUISTA (USA)
b. 1984
RAJA BABA (USA)
b. 1968
BOLD RULER (USA)dkb/br. 1954 [BI]
MISSY BABA (USA)b. 1958 *
NALEES FLYING FLAG (USA)
b. 1975
HOIST THE FLAG (USA)b. 1968 [BI]
NALEE (USA)b. 1960 *
SHANTHAS CHOICE (AUS)
b. 1992
CANNY LAD (AUS)
br. 1987
BLETCHINGLY (AUS)
br. 1970
BISCAY (AUS)ch. 1965 
COOGEE (GB)b. 1959 
JESMOND LASS (AUS)
ch. 1975
LUNCHTIME (GB)ch. 1970 
BEAUTIFUL DREAMER (AUS)gr. 1967 
DANCING SHOW (USA)
b. 1983
NIJINSKY (CAN)
b. 1967 [CS]
 NORTHERN DANCER (CAN) b. 1961 [BC]
FLAMING PAGE (CAN)b. 1959 *
SHOW LADY (USA)
b. 1976
SIR IVOR (USA)b. 1965 [IC]
BEST IN SHOW (USA)ch. 1965 *
Sunline...simply supreme
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 2:33pm
Can't find it now but there was aLee Freedman interview on r.com recently in which he discusses Shoals. Summary here:
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 11:36am
On at $8 all-in and, for mine, one of the bets of the weekend at that price.

I also had a secondary all-in bet on Roomooz which has now been lost, and would have preferred to have her in and running for me as well, but won't be giving back my Shoals bet.

She concedes race fitness and a touch of weight, but she has laps on this field in class. Look at what Formality has done this prep and remember that Shoals have her a start and a beating at the end of her first prep. She should have come on from that - which she looks to have done from her trial - and I think can afford to be a little soft and still win here.

Should stalk Sanadaat and reel her in when it counts. Serious Thousand Guineas chance.
Sunline...simply supreme
The Stallion View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Stallion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 1:24pm
Sanadaat will give her a good run for her money.. I think she is a very talented horse and we know she has come back well. I can't split them personally.
That's the smell of victory, you can't wash that out.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 6:14pm
The market is very strong for Sanadaat which has surprised me. I'm a fan of Sanadaat - backed her last start and took $41 in the Thousand Guineas - and I concede she will be tough to run down, but I think Shoals has a lap on her in class. She was gunning down Formality at the end of last prep and Sanadaat wouldn't beat Formality.

I think the market support for Sanadaat is mostly due to the speed map and Moonee Valley, and they're expecting it will get away with a few cheapies and pinch the race at the 800m with Shoals needing the run and running out of straight to catch Sanadaat with the weight pull.

I've decided to save on Sanadaat because my potential return on Shoals is quite large and I'm exposed with no save, so would be silly not to save on the one that the market and map says is the main danger. Still confident Shoals wins.
Sunline...simply supreme
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 5:25pm
Only thing that beats her is The trainer

Not a fan
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 5:46pm
Still unbeaten. Great ride Zahra. He's in great form today.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Straight Connector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight Connector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 8:55pm
The drift made me hesitant and unfortunately affected my stake as EW odds were available, but she did it well and was one of few highlights for me today.

One to follow, good to see a 3yo filly kick on.

The Formality formline is strong.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 3:46pm
I think she can beat Catchy today
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 9:50pm
Very nice run today. I got stuck into the early $2.75 the place that TAB put up and she got there.

She'll be third up and out to a mile in the Thousand Guineas and that should line up for a big performance from this filly. The others around her were fitter, and I doubt Booker runs out a strong mile, so I'm happy to be with her at $16 in the Guineas.
Sunline...simply supreme
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 8:59pm
Why is she $13 in the Myer Classic with the TAB?

Ran 2nd to a superstar in the Thousand Guineas. What price Aloisia in the Myer? Will drop to 50kg and profiles well given 3yo I Am A Star sat on speed and won it last year. That was a weak renewal (French Emotion 2nd) and this is an open race with far greater depth, but the point is $13 is surely much better than what she SPs with her formline?

I've backed a few in the race - Global Glamour $9, Petition $13 and a save bet Dixie Blossoms $9 - but I'm happy to take $13 Shoals and will be surprised if double figures is available SP.
Sunline...simply supreme
VPI View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 9:27pm
I had to take the $13 e/w as well with the light weight.
@value_punter
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 10:32pm
As some analysts said when assessing the Vase, Aloisia was only second up in that race and beat horses which probably had no improvement left. She undoubtedly improved considerably on Sat so some caution wrt the form line is needed. Think the older mares will test her - GG, SS and Foxplay esp. Heavens Above was a "certainty beaten" (lol) in this race last year and is the best outsider IF Goodie doesn't stuff the track again. Looks a SUPER race on paper, one which bookies should be able to make a proper book and win no matter what.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 10:57pm
Hope we took the $13.
Sunline...simply supreme
JoanFerguson View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoanFerguson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 3:09pm
Rolling in the $$$$$$$13
I love Dean Yendall
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 3:10pm
Woohoo!!! God bless her.
Sunline...simply supreme
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 3:10pm
Is this where all the big winners are hanging out?
Looks like it.

Well done guys.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 3:16pm
Well done lads. What a good filly.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 3:24pm
Wonder how many group 1 winners are out of million dollar yearlings ?

Pretty sure the mum bought big bucks at the sales.

reductio ad absurdum
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 3:38pm
Congrats guys
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 3:49pm
Good job chaps. Doubt bookies made much there somehow.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 5:39pm
Let her go around at 13s without me. What a very good filly.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 5:40pm
Same :(.
Sunline...simply supreme
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>