Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Q&A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Q&A
    Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 11:02am
Did anyone watch it last night? Extraordinary performance from Bob Katter- he was an aboriginal for the duration of the show. Weird.Shocked

“I identify as a blackfella on occasion and I’ll identify this time as a blackfella — we are the most land-rich people on Earth, we blackfellas in Australia, and we are not allowed to use it. We are not allowed to have a title deed.

“We should be rich. We’re not, because we can’t get a title deed. Why won’t government give it to us?”

I checked out air fares from Alice Springs to check if they were just whinging. No, they are getting ripped off. You're doing well to get a single ticket to Brisbane for under $400.

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 11:11am
He and his father have a long history of championing Aboriginal rights. It has been speculated many times that he has indigenous blood. He might have been taking a step last night.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 11:14am
Thank god you said that - I was thinking exactly the same thing "trying" to watch it. Is he indigenous or not ? Was news to me. Thing is he was not picked up on it sitting in a room of indigenous people - & local white folk as well.
It was bizarre.
And then we have Mr Voller put his head up & put his two bobs worth in. Lets put "all" young indigenous kids with a crime issue to work on the land. Yeah - good in theory I suppose....everyone nodding their heads "what a great idea". Just need an administration of millions to get it to half work. As PT would say, who is going to pay for it ? & how do you make young kids work & be responsible if they don't want to be. Put them in a detention centre I suppose !
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 11:22am
http://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/q-bob-katter-drops-blackfella-bombshell/3196428/

Q&A: Bob Katter drops 'blackfella' bombshell

Emma Reynolds news.com.au | 4th Jul 2017 5:56 AM

MAVERICK MP Bob Katter had viewers confused Monday night when he said he sometimes "identified as a blackfella" during an emotional episode of Q&A.

The Queensland Independent caused consternation on social media as he repeatedly referred to himself using the word, during the televised debate in Alice Springs.

Asked about land title, he replied: "I identify as a blackfella on occasion and I'll identify this time as a blackfella - we are the most land-rich people on Earth, we blackfellas in Australia, and we are not allowed to use it. We are not allowed to have a title deed.

"We should be rich. We're not, because we can't get a title deed. Why won't government give it to us?"

Later, answering a question about youth imprisonment from former teenage inmate Dylan Voller , Katter repeated his claim: "The cost of a child in detention in Queensland is $580,000 a year. We put in a wild kid and we get back a professional criminal. 'Oh, jeez, that was great achievement!' Putting a kid in a steel cage like an animal ... after going on a joy-ride with his big brother ... seems to me unfair and unjust. Give us some credit - give we blackfellas some credit."

The Katter's Australian Party leader has said he has mixed and unknown heritage before, but astonished Twitter users seemed unprepared for his assertion.

Twitter Ads info and privaKatherine MLA Sandra Nelson summed up the general feeling when she asked: "'I identify as a black fella on occasion' #WTH does that even mean #BobKatter ? #qanda #confusingtimes."

But a Twitter user called Aussie Alternative posted: "Unlike White identity, Aboriginal identity is INCLUSIVE, anyone can claim to be Aboriginal no matter how indigenous you are."

Katter has long been an advocate for indigenous workers and families, and his father Bob Senior was outspoken in support of racial equality, campaigning to abolish segregated seating between blacks and whites at the cinema.

In April 2013, Katter told Fairfax Media: "I identify with them. I'm not white and I come from Cloncurry. I'm not too sure where my racial background has come from but I am not going to argue if someone calls me a blackfella. I'm not going to argue that I am not," he says.

"There's a name in Cloncurry. We call ourselves the Curry Mob. There's Afghans and Lebanese, a lot of Chinese. You name it, you'll find them in Cloncurry. They've all intermarried over 220 years and they just refer to themselves as the Curry Mob."

In a Courier Mail interview published in April 2016, Katter's son Robbie said the family was sensitive to race relations because "we're not exactly purebred merinos", adding: "Our family are half-dark themselves and I guess they didn't care who they employed. They gave a lot of credit to the Aboriginal stockmen who came in off the stations."

'KATTER LOGIC IS LIKE STRING THEORY'

It wasn't the only moment Katter confused viewers. His rambling replies regularly had people struggling to keep up.

"Where I came from, we held the British Empire at bay for 60 years," he said, while talking about rehabilitation. "Give us some credit. What we did in the good old days - 200 years ago - was if you played up, you were sent out into the bush and you stayed out in the bush until you were prepared to behave yourself. The name used in most of the northern tribes was Budjeka - banishment.

"What happens out there? That's clearly the direction you want to be going. To give these kids the skills - not an education. Look, I come from a town where we didn't have a high school. My brother and cousins were forming in the councils, forming in the mine raids, engine drivers in the railway - three of the working mines in Cloncurry were all owned by First Australians. We got out of an education - if we have the incentive, the carrot and the stick, those incentives have been taken away ... I think the pathway, the old way, was the good way - eminently sensible, and saved us a hell of a lot of money as well."

VOLLER'S AWKWARD MOMENT

But at least Katter is never stuck for words. The most awkward moment of the night came after Mr Voller asked his cogent question about why more wasn't been done to rehabilitate young offenders.

After the panel addressed the issue, guest host Virginia Trioli decided to press him a little further, but this time, he was not so eloquent.

"Dylan, I just wanted to come back to you briefly before we move to the next question," she said. "We learnt a fair bit about your very troubled past and some rather violent behaviour by you during the royal commission. I just wondered if your life is back on track now, and how you're feeling?"

He replied: "Yeah, it's good."

Trioli tried again: "Yeah? Do you have some work?"

Mr Voller's answer: "Yeah."

An awkward pause. "Good. That's good to hear," said Trioli, and the conversation moved on.

WHY IS ALICE SO EXPENSIVE?

The debate covered Aboriginal rights, education and language - but the biggest cheer of the night came when a questioner raised the insane cost of accessing Alice Springs.

He said he and his wife were going on their honeymoon next month and it was costing more to fly from Alice Springs to Adelaide return than Adelaide to Croatia return. "Tourism would be higher and more people would live in Alice Springs if the prices weren't so expensive," he said.

Chair of Tourism Central Australia Dale McIver said she had sat down with the two major airlines that fly to the remote Northern Territory town - the gateway to popular destinations of Uluru and the Red Centre.

Asked how they justify those prices, she replied: "Not very well, unfortunately."

She said the airlines had mentioned "commercial viability" but that didn't mean much.

"We have locals here in Alice Springs that will drive 450km from Alice Springs to Uluru to get a cheaper flight," she said. "They'll leave their car there and fly back, then drive back. They'd rather sit in their car for nine hours than pay these absolutely insane prices."

Warren Snowdon was more direct: "Price gouging. Pretty simple."

The Shadow Assistant Minister for Indigenous Health said that when Tiger Air flew to Alice, "there was a bit of competition in the market and prices were forced down" but there is no longer a low-priced carrier serving Central Australia.

"So we don't have control over those airlines," he said. "They make their choices. They make the decisions. They know they've got a captive market. So they milk us."

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 11:24am
& the local business representatives were being so polite in hinting nothing seemed to be working / improving re indigenous outcomes. That a lot of the support organisations seemed to fall short - education/ health/ crime. One fellow politely said he had never had any success taking on indigenous kids as apprentices - costly exercise that resulted in poor results.
The whole program was full of folk - both white & indigenous - walking around on eggshells imo. This issue seems unsolvable.
Refer ALP Election Promises
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 4:56pm
I switched over to Channel 2 for a minute last night (I knew I would regret it!) and caught their new poster boy, Dylan Voller (didn't take long to replace Yassmin!), sitting amongst a group of his divisive racist peers, demanding more horse riding ranches and similar rewards, for vicious drug induced career criminals ... SURELY THEY ARE TAKING THE PISS!!!!Confused

Pleeeez, stop funding these out of touch agenda driven, virtue signalling, parasites at the ABC ... we could build a couple of coal fired power stations with the money we save shutting down that sheltered workshop!
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 4:59pm
Need more jails, and hard labour re-instated,( numpties probably signed up to a UN convention prohibiting it). Cool Hand Luke style.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 5:15pm
Dont tell fibs Doc, you watch every week, just so you have something to be outraged about on Tuesday
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 5:47pm
I've never denied that i sometimes have a quick look just for balance, and sometimes they have something watchable ... however, in general, it is less painful sticking a fork in your eye, and a fraudulent waste of tax payer funds.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

I've never denied that i sometimes have a quick look just for balance, and sometimes they have something watchable ... however, in general, it is less painful sticking a fork in your eye, and a fraudulent waste of tax payer funds.

I never watch Sky but got a little taste on Media Watch last night. Fairdinkum, what a bunch of loonies. Where did they dredge that Paul Murray moron from?
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I never watch Sky but got a little taste on Media Watch last night. Fairdinkum, what a bunch of loonies. Where did they dredge that Paul Murray moron from?
So you live in a vacuum ... makes sense.

Try watching a whole program, rather than a selected snippet that was only shown to get the media watch dressmakers shrieking ... just a suggestion.Wink
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 8:47am
Katter is what I have heard called a  "Submarine Blackfella "
Only surfaces when there is something in it for him.
Rest of the time he stays under the surface until its time to make waves again.
animals before people.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 8:21pm
Love it aa!Clap ... like Waleed ... a "Submarine Muslim"!!!LOL

Interesting that The Mad Katter's only previous reference to identifying his heritage was as being of Irish Catholic descent ... maybe that's only Ok if you're on the p1ss on St Patrick's Day ... Up PERISCOPE!!!Wacko
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Katter is what I have heard called a  "Submarine Blackfella "
Only surfaces when there is something in it for him.
Rest of the time he stays under the surface until its time to make waves again.

Sub will be thankful for that insight. I think ? I thought Bob had Afghan heritage too, it is nice to have an interesting family tree, I suppose. But as my old mother would say, "you can't help what stable you came from " which means that being proud (or ashamed) of one's pedigree is perhaps inappropriate.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 11:52pm
Seriously , who knows what went on between the sheets back in the early days of Australia ??
Read some of the books written by the early settlers of outback Ozz .
Families who went into the Kimberlys.  And the Gulf Country.
Even western NSW.
Lots of white men and very few white women.  
Great pioneering families came from the marriages of white men and black women, and their descendants still power on today.
Theses families dont need Katter to suddenly surface and claim blackfella blood , to make the heritage  look good.
They know they and their families are good and what they have achieved over many years of Ozz history speaks for itself.
Katter is just big noting and he looks like a d**k .

animals before people.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 12:02am

Yes, must cost millions to produce Q&A......
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 12:09am
If it cost a dollar, it would be a fraudulent waste of money ...
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 12:11am
You do realise that they gave Dylan Voller a voice on prime time public funded television ...
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 12:12am

i gave up watching it ages ago. its reheated lines from the previous week.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 12:14am
And?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 1:01am
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

And?

And its rubbish that I switch off after about 2 mins.
animals before people.
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 9:42am
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

And?

Its like the drum. its reheated stuff i have already read, same comments, same opinions. they debate stuff that has already been debated to death over the previous week.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 9:45am

You do realise that they gave Dylan Voller a voice on prime time public funded television ...

And they regularly give people like Alan Jones, Pauline Hanson Nick Cater  a voice and they were to have Ayaan Hirsi Ali on there a few weeks ago till she cancelled. Where else can you get that diversity of views in open debate.....fantastic and great value for moneyClap
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

And they regularly give people like Alan Jones, Pauline Hanson Nick Cater  a voice and they were to have Ayaan Hirsi Ali on there a few weeks ago till she cancelled. Where else can you get that diversity of views in open debate.....fantastic and great value for moneyClap

Who is the progressive voice on Sky when all the wingnuts get together for an agree-a-thon? Don't tell me it's Latham and Richardson.Confused
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 10:50am

Sorry Doc but the only real response to that is '"REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!"

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Who is the progressive voice on Sky when all the wingnuts get together for an agree-a-thon? Don't tell me it's Latham and Richardson.Confused

They dont even pretend to be balanced , and with Murdoch wanting to buy it and turn it into Australia's Faux News, the RWNJs are all ramping up their hysteria to be first in line to be Australia's own King Wingnut version of Hannity or Carlson 
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 11:09am
Why watch things that continually outrage you? The Project, Q&A, Insiders. Weird.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 5:04pm

rrrrright ... Ayaan Hirsi Ali, counts because why? ... she was hounded and threatened out of the country by the shrieking leftards before she even got here!!!LOL

Yassmin has had more runs on that FAKE NEWS show than all of the above combined, but then she is a fraud.

... and the only reason Bob Katter got a gig was that he promised to identify as a Black Fella ... sometimes ... near enuff!!!Thumbs Up

... but Dylan Voller ... without a spit hood? ... really?Confused 
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Sorry Doc but the only real response to that is '"REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!"

I have no problem with dangerous criminals featuring on news programs, provided they are answering questions under oath, restrained and fitted with an appropriate garments to protect the general public ... oh wait, a typical Q&A audience? ... they should ALL be restrained and fitted with spit hoods!Shocked 
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Why watch things that continually outrage you? The Project, Q&A, Insiders. Weird.

Come on Judge ... you can't claim a balanced opinion if you live in a vacuum ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>