Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Calculated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 1:57pm
The other issue djebel is he overraces. Waller hates stepping them up when they pull. He prefers to teach them to settle off faster speeds over shorter first.
Sunline...simply supreme
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 2:06pm
The great European and Japanese trainers will tell you THAT is not how youbteach them to settle.

reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

The other issue djebel is he overraces. Waller hates stepping them up when they pull. He prefers to teach them to settle off faster speeds over shorter first.

As did Bart Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 2:10pm
He will need to be as good as is being said to win that MM Guineas, that is looking like a cracking race and I stand by my statement that it will be the highlight of the race day!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 2:15pm
I'd be surprised if he wins the 3yo Magic Millions. I don't think he is being don e any favours at the moment and he appears to be going backwards in terms of development as a racehorse. I also don't think he's as good as some of us thought. Hasn't made the quantum leap in improvement expected of him with the recent prep under his belt.

Pierata will be winning the 3yo MM I'd say. But Goodfella and Our Crown Mistress would also trouble Calculated.
Sunline...simply supreme
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 2:19pm
If he does not reach the top it is 100% Wallers fault.

reductio ad absurdum
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 2:39pm
At the moment maybe what you expect is not there, imo he's 12 months away and looks very foalish , hence the fact he's not picking things up quickly enough, just saying.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 10:32am
Seems likely to make the field.

Missing the weekend was a calculated gamble that looks like paying off to an extent.

reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 10:53am
$101
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 10:54am
Cannot beat Pierata.
Sunline...simply supreme
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:19pm
Calculated is a class above Pierata. 
reductio ad absurdum
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:22pm
No Djebel Pierata is very very good.  SC has a good one in her stable.  Calculated actually paid for himself today but I'd have rather he'd got second.  Didn't think he could beat the Pierro colt.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:24pm
If Calculated is ever trained to be what he is meant to be he will be the 2nd best horse Waller ever trains.

reductio ad absurdum
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:27pm
Well he may eventually go over a distance - who knows  he should - but I'm neither the real owner or the trainer.  That doesn't stop the fact that Pierata is another top Pierro.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:32pm
Pierata has the advantage of racing in his proper distance range. I am not by any stretch suggesting he is not a classy horse.

reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

If Calculated is ever trained to be what he is meant to be he will be the 2nd best horse Waller ever trains. 

So what should be his optimum distance based on perdigree?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:32pm
...pedigree.  Embarrassed
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:35pm
1600-2400 should be his range.

I suspect Waller has trained him ( campaigned him ) in such a fashion that he will never settle if and when he gets to 2000m and beyond.

Waller is one of the best trainers in Australia.

reductio ad absurdum
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:43pm
Huge run today , imo this time next year might well be doing what Care to Think is doing at the moment , still immature but sprinter/ miler and maybe 10F next Oct.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:46pm
Probably close to the mark.

On pedigree I initially rated him as a miler, but it pays to add another 200m if only due to the Sir T influence.  
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:46pm
And like Pierata is a top looker.  I still love the look for him.  Just wish they could find what makes him tick!
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

And like Pierata is a top looker.  I still love the look for him.  Just wish they could find what makes him tick!

It's nothing more than patience furious, the best two vets in the world, Father Time and
Doctor Green.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:00pm
Just watched the race on replay.  Calculated was entitled to run nowhere given his torrid run.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:06pm
Yep, certainly not a shirker.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

It's nothing more than patience furious, the best two vets in the world, Father Time and
Doctor Green.

What exactly does patience mean ?

Calculated has had 7 starts. Just 3 starts less than Rekindling. 

If they are going to have him competing in high pressure races they might as well be suitable races.

reductio ad absurdum
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:09pm
Another nice run from Calculated. He didn't have the best run in transit but it wasn't all that different to Care To Think's run. Just not good enough.

Very happy with the place odds though.

But that mane is a bloody terrible look. He's a racehorse not a shetland pony.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:23pm
party popper.  He takes after his old man before his years in England.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:29pm
 LOL SYT never had a haircut like that furious. He always looked like the superstar he was with his long mane and forelock, not a shetland.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Doctor Green.

What exactly does patience mean ?

Calculated has had 7 starts. Just 3 starts less than Rekindling. 

If they are going to have him competing in high pressure races they might as well be suitable races.

Patience means it can be tested at times, sometimes to the detriment of said person lol,
I'm reminded of the young lady wrapping herself in ribbons saying to her beau,........
"I know what you want for Xmas, just don't know how to wrap it", have a nice day djebel.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 9:26pm
Good to see him back first up in the Phar Lap. If he wins brilliantly i hope they go straight to the Doncaster.
reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>