Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Roman Son

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breeding_above_all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 1:26pm
Yes I’m the same
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

I was going to wait until he was 3rd up at 1800-2000m but just can’t let him go around today without at least having a little something on him today.

Anyone else on board with him today?

Prefer to wait 3rd up.
Sunline...simply supreme
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 2:00pm
He'd be a moral in the Christmas Cup.
reductio ad absurdum
MJB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

He'd be a moral in the Christmas Cup.

He'd be a big risk at 2400 for me.

As for today, l'm having something small on him. Good run 1st up. Has a good 2nd up record. Should run top 3 in my book.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 9:53am
Ironically I reckon Roman Son would have been a better chance in the Villiers on Saturday given how the respective races were run. They came home in Race 8 in 35.96, which was faster than Fell Swoop in the Razor Sharp, notwithstanding the rain in the intervening period. While the overall time in the Villiers was quicker, the closing sectional was 37.2, which explains how Aloisia was able to charge from the back. With only 53kg, he would have been right in the finish IMO.

He does seem to have come back well. I'll be interested as to whether they nominate for the Summer Cup on the 11 day backup third up.
Prince Harada View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince Harada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 5:17pm
Anyone keen on him in the Summer Cup boxing day (must at least be a good strong place chance at the odds) drops 5kgs and steps up to the 2000m 3rd up?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 5:33pm
Looking for 2 miles now.

Really needed to be at 2400m last start.
reductio ad absurdum
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince Harada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 5:36pm
Geek
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 5:38pm
😆

Watch him running on at the end but never really looking like the winner.

Hopefully I remember to switch over from the cricket.
reductio ad absurdum
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince Harada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 5:48pm
Must be why I got on at $3.25 plc....
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 5:50pm
Best of luck. Hope I am wrong for those who have backed him.
reductio ad absurdum
MJB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 8:24pm
I don't agree djebel. 3rd up tomorrow at 2000 is perfect for him. Down in the weights. He'll run very well. My only question mark is the class. He's never been in this kind of company before. There's some decent horses in this. He should definitely be around the mark but it's very possible he may find three horses better on the day.

I think he's at his right price now. TAB went up 16's which was clearly overs.

He'll run a race for ya Prince Harada. On a side note, wasn't that horse hyped up early doors?! Bloody hell. T Vasil. Horse never amounted to much at all.

MJB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 8:32pm
Also don't forget that in his previous prep - his very last run he got rolled at $1.70 at 2000 metres. He didn't appear to stay that day. He was gone with 200 to go. From memory they went hard in that race. I can't recall if there was any excuses but on that run he definitely won't be getting much further.

I'm sure he'll get 2000 in a moderate run race. But jury is out for me as an out and out stayer.

All opinion though. Let's see what he does tomorrow.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 8:55pm
On that day he was simply beaten by faster 2000m horses.

reductio ad absurdum
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince Harada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 1:38pm
odds coming in - feeling pretty comfortable he's been set for this,,,but agree plc is bet & that's shy I'm on 

Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:24pm
Accepted for the Gosford Cup 2100m (listed) on Thursday.

Kerrin McEvoy booked to ride - nice
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:08pm
It's a bit of a D-Day for him tomorrow - fourth up to the 2100m looks ideal, drawn 5 and Kerrin aboard. Doesn't look overly strong and there should be good pressure with Fabrizio and Satono Rasen.

I thought he was entitled to hit the line slightly harder in the Summer Cup. Bayliss got too far back which meant that he was never a winning chance and I am not sure he appreciated changing direction in the straight, but Black and Gold went past him in the last 100. On the plus side, the form through Goodfella and Black and Gold has held up.

Hopefully he gets even breaks and a chance to show that he is back to the form from two preps ago. $4.50 into $3.00 suggests that the stable thinks he is cherry ripe.
MJB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:31pm
I personally didn't mind his run last start. The ride was a shocker. Cowboy stuff.

In my opinion it's never easy to make significant ground coming from well back and going inside of other horses. You get better momentum out wide.

I think he's ticking over okay.

He does look well placed in this race. He probably should be winning if he gets presented at the right time. But l'm in two minds if l should back him or not. My one worry is Gosford. Not sure that track will suit him.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:43pm
He should settle closer having had 3 weeks break and being at his peak.

Going to be stinking hot.

And it is a pretty good field.
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 4:30pm
Probably needs 2 miles now.

reductio ad absurdum
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 4:46pm
He certainly looks like he would benefit from another step up in trip, and definitely a bigger track. The announced tactical changed didn't pan out and then he was shuffled back before they put the brakes on up front. Crabbed around the turn, didn't balance up until the 150 and by then it was all over. Hit the line OK.

It looks like a forgive run but he has had a few of those this prep, which is a concern. The Australia Day Cup is there on 28 January, if he is happy to go on the 11 day backup and take on Naval Warfare.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 7:57pm
Does he need a damp track ?

I have not felt that was the issue but two people have suggested that to me.

reductio ad absurdum
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 9:49am
The benchmark system does my head in at times. Roman Son was slugged four benchmark points (2kg) for running fourth in the Gosford Cup, while Satono Rasen (2nd) and Fabrizio (3rd) retained their benchmark. This means that, depending on where topweight is on Monday (if they go that way), Roman Son could meet both Satono and Fabrizio 2kg worse for being beaten by them, which is utterly crazy.

You do wonder at times whether handicappers make value judgements on what should have happened and unduly penalise a horse unduly, before he has had a chance to win a race.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 10:09am
Fabrizio..............60
Satono Rasen....57.5

Roman Sun should have 53 but will get 54, which basically means he needs to run to 2 points better than his rating to be in the finish. 

It also means he is meeting them 1 kg better off, Should I have the weights correct.

reductio ad absurdum
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Fabrizio..............60
Satono Rasen....57.5

Roman Sun should have 53 but will get 54, which basically means he needs to run to 2 points better than his rating to be in the finish. 

It also means he is meeting them 1 kg better off, Should I have the weights correct.

In the Gosford Cup, we had Fabrizio on 59kg, Satono Rasen on 56.5 and Roman Son on 54kg. His true weight in that race was actually 50kg - the limit of 54kg would have been for a 92 rater and he was an 84. So, he was weighted 4kg above his rating.

Now, on a 59-53 spread he gets 53kg against Fabrizio (59kg) and Satono Rasen 56.5kg. That is he meets these two a kilo better, even though his benchmark has gone up four points to their none. His true weight on Monday is 52kg.

I guess the question from a handicapping perspective is whether the fact that he ran with merit when four kilos above the handicap in the Gosford Cup warrants the handicapper bumping up his benchmark accordingly, as he appears to have done. It creates a pretty significant disincentive to ever race outside the handicap (i.e. where the true weight is below the minimum).
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 10:30am
Notice he’s still in both the 2000m race at Randwick on Sat & the 2400m Aust Day Cup at Warwick Farm on Mon.

Wonder if he’ll be scratched from tomorrow & saved for Monday? Or perhaps run in both? Nothing wrong with the old Sat-Mon back up with the right horse.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 8:51am
I've been patient this prep. Waiting and waiting and waiting.

Today he gets his wet track and it should be showtime.

The only query is the 2400m. He needs to convince me today he is a genuine 2400m stayer.

On at $4.8.
Sunline...simply supreme
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

I've been patient this prep. Waiting and waiting and waiting.

Today he gets his wet track and it should be showtime.

The only query is the 2400m. He needs to convince me today he is a genuine 2400m stayer.

On at $4.8.

Plus Naval Warfare and Etymology take this race to another level to what he has been racing.

Great race.

Your tips usually shorten, I suspect this one might drift.

reductio ad absurdum
breeding_above_all View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breeding_above_all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 11:33am
ON the money again.. already 4’s.
Interesting one is McDonald chose Santono and didnt take (I’m assuming) the ride on Cummings Eytomology
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 4:38pm
Something must have gone amiss, he was asked for an effort a fair way out and didn't respond and finished tailed off, that can't be his best.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>