Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Cable Bay

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ribot90 View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ribot90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cable Bay
    Posted: 01 May 2023 at 9:13pm
thanks Gay3
I think I could write a book on some of the trainers haha - her mum was trained by Charlie Fellowes and he was good so will talk to him.. i've keep you posted
all horses can win
ribot90 View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ribot90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 9:10pm
hello Oldflight I think you are right about marketing - I think he has done ok down in Australia and typical as they sell him to stand in India he gets group 1 winner. The number of horses this happens to is alot - from Hornbeam to Duke of Marmalade.
Just looking around at trainers for her - her mum was trained by Charlie Fellowes so will have a chat with him, the grand dam I who is by Dansili I had with Henry Cecil and I still have the great grand dam by Shareef Dancer out of Troy mare 28 and still the boss
Ribot90 aka Paul
all horses can win
oldflight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 2:17pm
Hi All,
Just to be clear I was not knocking the Horse's ability to generate winners just that the way the horse was marketed in Australia narrowed his chances. 
Ribot90 I wish you all the luck in the world please keep us posted on the progress of your two.

Ciao for Now Oldflight 
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 9:22pm
Let's not forgot the breaker/starter who can literally make or break them. There are still far too many 'cowboys' being given the job because they're cheap or just down the road, by unknowledgeable, cheapskate owners Angry
Best of luck with your 2 Ribot, I've noticed a few more winners popping up for him here 
Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
ribot90 View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ribot90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 8:56pm
well I have a lovely filly yearling by Cable Bay out of a Sea The Moon mare also a colt foal also great.
you are right good food - a then a trainer which is key - I remember a relative of mine who was good friends with Frank Butters and he said 'anyone can train horses less than 10% know what they are doing' that is probably true. The word 'great' trainers is often misused.
all horses can win
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 2:50pm
Jamieson took a risk knocking back mares because they didn't fit his breeding theories and the horse failed.  Whether he would haver failed irrespective is a moot point, however common sense suggests if you give a stallion more opportunity....
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 2:39pm
I'll never forget Barts saying Oldflight , " half the breeding , is in the feeding " . makes sense , but a wise old owl was he . Wink
oldflight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2023 at 2:14pm
Well Uncommon James wins a Gr1 and India goes crazy, 
Cable Bay now standing at Kehar Singh Stud Farm in Punjab

Now that the dust has settled and the horse has been Relocated does the Group here have any opinions either way on the way the Horse was marketed, I mean via the if your mare fits our Breeding Plan / Formula you can come to this stallion.

I know he covered 100/120 mares and in 2020 had the COV19 drop to 80 and they would have got out square or a bit in front.
But from my experience many of a Stallions early crop winners come from many and varied bloodlines and families that you would never expect.

When I was much younger, working on a Farm in WA we had a cracking Mill Reef Stallion called Marooned, his first good horse was a filly called Prime Again, She was by Sanhedrin Bread and Butter sire in WA (placed in Seattle Slews Kentucky Derby) who was by Good Counsel.

Prime Again’s Dam was by the champ NZ sire So Big and the second Dam was by the unbelievable Faux Tirage. Nobody was saying this was going to work to a Mill reef horse.

The farm thought so little of the mare that after foaling down Prime Again and she was a scruffy foal they sold the mare on.

So what in a round about way I am trying to show, is why knock back people with good mares that may or may not be the making of your stallion, you can also never underestimate the environmental factors and feeding in-uterine that can assist in establishing a good athlete, as said by people much smarter than me, they can come from anywhere.

As we know people love there mares and being told your mare is not good enough, was a bit rich for some people who are of a thinner skin than mine, I really think this has made it hard for Woodside to get some of the mares in that Bracket back to their Farm. 

I know Dod's is doing his best but it is a struggle. And yes I know the horse only stood there on agreement.

I did not mean for it to go longer than Diatribes Caufield Cup. 

But thats my take on it

Ciao For Now Old Flight

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 6:24pm
Too little too late unfortunately GA.  He's clearly doing better in the NH than here.
Grey Affair View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 6:02pm
Cable Bay looks to have sired a good one in Uncommon James (4g Cable Bay x Pickabee, by Jet Spur). He just won the Listed Regal Roller Stakes at Caulfield in an impressive manner.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 7:56pm

Cable Bay's Dragon Symbol A New Rising Star

at 3:37 pm | Back to: Europe, Shared News Europe

Updated: May 2, 2021 at 6:51 pm

Cable Bay | Asuncion Pineyrua

By 

Unbeaten on the all-weather with three wins at Wolverhampton, Newcastle and Kempton coming by a combined margin of 12 1/2 lengths since the start of March, Yoshiro Kubota's Dragon Symbol (GB) (Cable Bay {GB}) made his first turf start an impressive one to earn TDN Rising Star status at Hamilton on Sunday. Sent off the 11-8 favourite to transform that prowess to the grass in the valuable MansionBet Best Odds Guaranteed EBF Tangerine Trees Conditions S., the Archie Watson-trained grey raced keenly tracking the early pace dropping back to five furlongs for the first time. In front passing the two-furlong pole, the grey did his familiar thing and went clear from there to register a 3 1/4-length verdict over the solid yardstick Significantly (GB) (Garswood {GB}). Jockey Adam McNamara was impressed. “He travelled really well considering five is probably a bit sharp for him,” he said of sire Cable Bay's first 'TDN Rising Star'. “I don't think he's ever galloped on grass at home, but Archie's horses are so straightforward it doesn't matter. He's in the [June 15] G1 King's Stand [at Royal Ascot] and I'm not sure where he'll go, but I'd hazard a guess and say he's more likely to go to the [G1] Commonwealth [Cup at Royal Ascot June 18]. He keeps improving somehow and is a very good one. I got a lead, as he was a little bit keen in front for Oisin [Murphy] the last day and he travelled beautifully. I galloped him a couple of months ago and said to Archie he could be an 85 horse, but he keeps finding and he looks a very good one. He's going to win a big one very soon, hopefully. It's not every day you get to ride one like that.” The winner is the first foal out of a half-sister to the listed-winning duo Smart Enough (GB) (Cadeaux Genereux {GB}) and Oasis Dancer (GB) (Oasis Dream {GB}) whose dam is the G1 Prix Saint-Alary third Good Enough (Fr) (Mukaddamah). She is also the second dam of the recent Listed Sean Barrett Bloodstock S. winner Laugh a Minute (GB) (Mayson {GB}), who was also placed in the G3 Prix de Meautry and G3 Chipchase S., and this stable's Endless Joy (GB) (Showcasing {GB}) who was third in the G3 Firth of Clyde S. The dam, who also hails from the family of the G1 Cheveley Park S. heroine Seazun (Ire) (Zieten), has a 2-year-old filly by Postponed (Ire) and a yearling colt by Adaay (Ire).

3rd-Hamilton, £35,000, Cond, 5-2, 3yo, 5f 7yT, :59.04, g/f.
DRAGON SYMBOL (GB), c, 3, by Cable Bay (Ire)
     1st Dam: Arcamist (GB), by Arcano (Ire)
     2nd Dam: Good Enough (Fr), by Mukaddamah
     3rd Dam: Viceroy Princess (GB), by Godswalk
Sales history: 67,000gns Ylg '19 TAOCT. Lifetime Record: 4-4-0-0, $40,456. O-Yoshiro Kubota; B-Whitsbury Manor Stud (GB); T-Archie Watson. Click for the Racing Post result or the free Equineline.com catalogue-style pedigree.

reductio ad absurdum
Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 9:37pm
Hello,
maybe youlike to read, Cable Bay has a 2021 foal in Germany.
A Filly Cable Bay - Dyveke by Lando - Daytona Beach, foaled 08.03.21, bred by "Wiesengrund Stud".

regards, Ticino

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 3:24am
Jouska (3f Cable Bay x Quiet Protest, by Kingmambo) has won the LR Boadicea Stakes over 6 furlongs at Newmarket.

Vivarchi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivarchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 9:38pm
He had his first 2nd crop 2yo winner last night. Minor race but won very impressively by 4L.

Atalis Bay i think was the name. Looks a nice colt.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 12:48am
Jouska & Tomfre in Gr3 races Sun night at York
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 8:31pm
One winner from seven or so starters.  But early doors.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 8:26pm
Is that really all? If so very different to last year
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 12:30am
Live On Stage in Italy
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 12:00am
I'm not sure that Cable Bay has had a 2YO wnr in Europe this year
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 4:09pm
You are almost certainly 100% correct Furious.

Whilst there seems to be a valid reason that Inv Spirit crosses well with Choisir such as Inv Sp and Danehill Dancer both being Danzig/Sharpen Up, there may be something else at play. 

You pointed out Oxted lines of Selene. If we look at best stakeswinner from I Am Invincible/Choisir being Eckstein you see Eckstein tail female is Jesmond Lass who is dam of IAI damsire Canny Lad. And also the great grand dam sire of Eckstein is Sir Tristram who of course hails from Selene family.
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 9:48am
Invincible Spirit is standing at the Irish national stud at a quoted fee of £100k . 
Mayson , the sire of Oxted is standing Cheveley Park Stud (UK) at a fee of £5k . That looks like incredible value for a good sprinting son of Invincible Spirit with the £5k = to about $9k aud .

There are three types of lies - Lies ,Damn Lies and Statistics
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 6:14pm
Choisir and Redoute's have a similar mix of blood and both lines go well with Invincible Spirit.  Also while the female line has been quiet it does go back to Hyperion's 3rd dam Gondolette herself the dam of two classic winners as well as a winner of the Dewhurst S.  So you couldn't see a family like that not crossing to something like Choisir with all his lines of Selene.  And then shock horror the stallion Mayson is also of that female line.  It doesn't always work but if it does you usually get a very good one.  He just push the anti up again.

So the way I look at this horse Oxted is the female line and the male line and the damsire where a very good mix.  But first and foremost it was that female line finding what it needed.  So while I'd say Choisir and Invincible Spirit blood probably mixes well don't overlook the female line in the mating.

On a side line I've sometimes found horses winning by Australian breed sires and have checked the mares other produce.  Often just to see what class of mare our stallions a serving in Europe.  The number of mares with say four foals and the Aussie stallion has produced the only winner is quite strong.  It's almost like they are sending all the also rans to see if they can introduce a bit of speed into the mix.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 1:13pm

G1 July Cup Winner Features Familiar Bloodlines

Tara Madgwick - Saturday July 11

The Group I Darley July Cup (5f) was run overnight at Newmarket with the winner Oxsted giving another sire son of Invincible Spirit in Mayson his first Group I winner, whilst also highlighting the merit of his dam sire Choisir.

A progressive four year-old gelding trained by Roger Teal, Oxsted won the Group III Abernant Stakes over the same course and distance in early June with connections electing to bypass Royal Ascot and focus on this race with happy results.

Ridden by Cieren Fallon, Oxsted relished the drying conditions to forge clear and win by a length and a quarter clocking a time just 0.28sec outside the course record.

He gave both his trainer and jockey their first Group I winner.

“It's unbelievable. Harry [Teal's son] has done a fantastic job - he said last week that Oxsted would win the July Cup. We believed, although we knew what we were up against. Cieren rode a peach, he's such a cool little dude,” said Roger Teal.

Retained to race by his breeders, Oxsted has the overall record of four wins and two placings from nine starts and is the first Group I winner for his sire Mayson, who won the July Cup in 2012.

Mayson is the sire of Oxsted

Mayson is the sire of Oxsted

Mayson stands at Cheveley Park at a fee of 5,000 pounds.

Oxtsed is the best of two winners from the handy four time winning Choisir mare Charlotte Rosina, whose immediate family is barren of Black Type.

Interestingly for Australian breeders, Choisir mares have a good record with sons of Invincible Spirit, that nick producing 14 winners from 20 runners including four stakes-winners with Oxsted the first Group I winner and Australian bred Eckstein, a Group III winner that was second in the Group I VRC Myer Classic.

That’s certainly food for thought this season given the plentiful supply of Choisir mares and the choice of no fewer than seven sons of Invincible Spirit at stud here this spring.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Vivarchi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivarchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 3:37am
Originally posted by Vivarchi Vivarchi wrote:

Liberty Beach, the Cable Bay filly that could have won the Queen Mary at Ascot last month just blew them away in a Listed race at the big Sandown meeting.

3 wins from 4 starts for her. She savages the line.

This 3yo filly just ran a super 3rd in the Gp1 Kings Stand against the older sprinters at Ascot. She chased in vain Battaash all the way and got pipped by a late finisher on the line for 2nd. She's a ripper.

For perspective, Battaash is apparently the highest rated horse in the world at 136.

Liberty Beach is a great banner horse for Cable Bay. A lowly priced filly and matching it with the best in her short career. Great to see her improving from a top class 2yo into a better 3yo.
Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:38pm
Hello,
'Cable Bay' hat some more placed offspring in Europe

Ropey Guest (Cable Bay-Hadeeya by Oratorio) ran third in the "Dubai Autumn Stakes",
1600 meter, Group 3, Newmarket, 12.10.19. Breeder: Mrs. S. Hamilton & Kirtlington Stud Ltd, Trainer: G. Margarson, Jockey: S. Kelly

Jouska (Cable Bay-Quiet Protest by Kingmambo) ran third in the "Cornwallis Stakes",
1000 meter, Group 3, Newmarket, 11.10.19, Breeder: Equity Growth Partners Ltd, Trainer: H. Candy, Jockey: S. Foley

regards, Ticino
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

Two comments:He is upgrading mares The better runners have identified breeding patterns Those two things alone are good signs. Does it cross hemispheres? time will tell

Could you please elaborate on the patterns? I don’t closely follow the racing over there

linghi I've posed the question on each of the queried stallions' threads Smile

Edited by Gay3 - 03 Oct 2019 at 5:29pm
to the victor
Vivarchi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivarchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 5:03pm
Cable Bay train keeps choofing along. 4 wins and a 2nd from last seven runners.

He's not only a clear leader on the European first season sire list, he is a clear leader on the overall UK leading 2yo sire list. All from a very average broodmare band and not many in the better stables.

Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 8:48pm
Two comments:
He is upgrading mares
The better runners have identified breeding patterns
Those two things alone are good signs. Does it cross hemispheres? time will tell
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 7:36pm
Thanks for telling us something most around here are well aware of.  Smile

Though the I Am invincible/Invincible Spirit success down-under does provide some justification for optimism regarding Cable Bay.

ps just threw the Dubawi fellow in for interest.
Progold View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 7:25pm
Statistics may suggest that first season success in the UK are not a great indicator of likely success here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>