Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Single Gaze

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Get real, if Waller hadn't accepted the mare there's others who would've quick smart and Olive would still have been gutted.

At least Waller had the character to contact Nick personallyand delivery the bad news.
Read my post SC, it's about time a trainer stood up.....a trainer........time some scruples and decency entered the game, necking other trainers has gone on for yonks, since Adam played full back, but there has always been an exception, now what a story and what an accolade it would have been for Chris to have said, ''sorry, if her previous trainer said she was going backward and for her well being we are politely declining'' ? hello? wouldn't that have been nice for everyone, everyone SC....it might even have set a new benchmark.....but, it didn't happen and we know why....don't we......who are the new owners....says it all.

With all due respect, Who is her previous trainer ? 

What does that mean ?Confused
Her previous trainer was Olive and he suggested retirement because he felt she had done her best and it was time to consider her welfare, and the owners did what they felt was best for her .

Look clearly this is an immotve issue, It is also a nonsense issue, She is in no danger, No more danger than any other horse.

If anybody thinks she is in danger than we should just ban horse racing all together.

reductio ad absurdum
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

I can assure you I am not looking forward to that at all !  I will feel ill watching her trying so hard, when she has already given her all.  Dont these people have any feelings for the animal at all ?  Or  are they so money hungry they just dont give a toss.

Wow, what a pathetic post.

I’m sure Waller will retire if she doesn’t come up.

Pathetic because I think its a dirty thing to do ?   And it is.  Dirty and underhanded, and just wrong .  But then there are many people who just dont know right from wrong when money enters into it.
If you see this deplorable act as acceptable, then you are a bit pathetic, but thats just MHO.
animals before people.
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:35pm

I can assure you I am not looking forward to that at all !  I will feel ill watching her trying so hard, when she has already given her all.  Dont these people have any feelings for the animal at all ?  Or  are they so money hungry they just dont give a toss.

Pathetic because I think its a dirty thing to do ?   And it is.  Dirty and underhanded, and just wrong .  But then there are many people who just dont know right from wrong when money enters into it.
If you see this deplorable act as acceptable, then you are a bit pathetic, but thats just MHO.

This happens every day of the week.
Non issue whatsoever imho
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:35pm

Get real, if Waller hadn't accepted the mare there's others who would've quick smart and Olive would still have been gutted.

At least Waller had the character to contact Nick personallyand delivery the bad news.
Read my post SC, it's about time a trainer stood up.....a trainer........time some scruples and decency entered the game, necking other trainers has gone on for yonks, since Adam played full back, but there has always been an exception, now what a story and what an accolade it would have been for Chris to have said, ''sorry, if her previous trainer said she was going backward and for her well being we are politely declining'' ? hello? wouldn't that have been nice for everyone, everyone SC....it might even have set a new benchmark.....but, it didn't happen and we know why....don't we......who are the new owners....says it all.

Her previous trainer was Olive and he suggested retirement because he felt she had done her best and it was time to consider her welfare, and the owners did what they felt was best for her .

Look clearly this is an immotve issue, It is also a nonsense issue, She is in no danger, No more danger than any other horse.

If anybody thinks she is in danger than we should just ban horse racing all together.

No, it's about ethics, integrity and welfare......oxymoron there me thinks
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:36pm

Yes, yes, and yes to all the above.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:37pm

I am not saying she is in danger.  But she is being used up, when the trainer who knew her best felt she had reached the point where she had no more left to give, and because they all cared for her, and appreciated the wonderful time she had given them, they wanted her to have a happy retirement. 
Some people in this game do care about the animal, but not all it seems.
animals before people.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Smoke and Mirrors Smoke and Mirrors wrote:

Originally posted by Smoke and Mirrors Smoke and Mirrors wrote:

Waller has the animals best interest at heart. He knows what he is dong. Leave it at that.

Thanks Mrs Waller.

Huh?
My names Marion
Gee that was John Wayne's real name too......he was a cowboy as well.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:42pm
I agree wirth just about everyone who has posted here.

1. If you wanted to sell her and thought she had had enough, which is a legitimate concern, then you should have put a non racing clause into the sale.
2. The owners should feel, lied to here. The buyer, told the owners she would be breeding in Japan, which is technically the truth, but they obviously did not realise that the northern hemisphere do not breed until early next year, and there was a possibility she may have a spring campaign.
3. The buyer, is now the owner and they have every right to do what ever they want with the horse. Having said that would I race her again, NO!
4. Waller as has been stated, will see how she goes, in training and we all know her performance level, so if she is showing signs of not being interested, he will pull the plug.

The only problem I have, is what race will Waller aim her at! If it is a light prep, I mean surely you would not put her through all the pre-training and trackwork, if you did not have a target in mind.

If she is being raced, just for the sake of racing her, then I do have a huge problem with that!   
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:45pm
If I owned her I would be telling Waller to aim her at a first up tilt at the Epsom.

reductio ad absurdum
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:53pm
If the owners were misled about her future then that's a shame but it all seems a bit vague so far.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

1. If you wanted to sell her and thought she had had enough, which is a legitimate concern, then you should have put a non racing clause into the sale.
2. The owners should feel, lied to here. The buyer, told the owners she would be breeding in Japan, which is technically the truth, but they obviously did not realise that the northern hemisphere do not breed until early next year, and there was a possibility she may have a spring campaign.
3. The buyer, is now the owner and they have every right to do what ever they want with the horse. Having said that would I race her again, NO!
4. Waller as has been stated, will see how she goes, in training and we all know her performance level, so if she is showing signs of not being interested, he will pull the plug.

The only problem I have, is what race will Waller aim her at! If it is a light prep, I mean surely you would not put her through all the pre-training and trackwork, if you did not have a target in mind.

If she is being raced, just for the sake of racing her, then I do have a huge problem with that!   

I agree with most of this.
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 6:00pm
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 6:09pm
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 6:11pm
WOW!

He was emotional. Trainers are less emotional when a horse loses its life. They have to simply hope she does herself proud if she does race. I certainly do,

She would only be getting the best of everything with Waller.

reductio ad absurdum
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 6:17pm
If media reports are correct, then a verbal agreement was broken, it seems very unlikely a Japanese gentleman would break an agreement......to lose face? not Japanese at all, the Yakuza maybe, but not one of Japan's leading businessmen. As I said, Waller doesn't need the money, so do the right thing.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 6:26pm
The owners should’ve put it in writing if they were that concerned.
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 6:26pm
What's the right thing: knock the mare back only to see either one of Snowden, Hawkes, Weir, Hayes, Maher, McEvoy, Price etc accept her?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 6:31pm

What's the right thing: knock the mare back only to see either one of Snowden, Hawkes, Weir, Hayes, Maher, McEvoy, Price etc accept her?

Apparently he has knocked good horses back before.

Single Gaze joins Chris Waller's stable

6 hours ago by Isaac Ling & AAP
Single Gaze has joined Chris Waller's yardImage: Getty
Group One-winning mare Single Gaze has joined Chris Waller's yard despite previous reports that she had been retired.

Formerly with Canberra trainer Nick Olive, the five-year-old was sold to Japanese interests during the autumn with her then trainer and owners of the belief she was heading to the breeding barn. 

However, the mare's new connections have appointed Waller to train her, in a move that came as a surprise to Olive.

Single Gaze winning the 2016 Vinery Stud Stakes. Image: Bradley Photos. 

"[It's] A bit of a shock to all of us," Olive said on RSN's Racing Pulse program on Wednesday morning.

"Chris (Waller) actually called me and let me know, and obviously news broke last night after that.

"We made the decision to retire her. The offer came in, it was a good offer and she was sold on the proviso that she was going to stud in Japan."

Single Gaze won five races from 33 starts under Olive, including the Group One Vinery Stud Stakes in 2016.

"We made the decision to retire her and let her move on to the next part of her life and enjoy things. If we had any intention of racing on, we would have raced on ourselves," Olive said. 

In her most recent campaign, which finished in March, Single Gaze ran second in both the Group One CF Orr Stakes at Caulfield and the Group One Ranvet Stakes at Rosehill.

Waller said he felt for Olive, who was among the ownership group that sold Single Gaze.

"My first thoughts were 'Gee, I wonder how that'll go down'," Waller said.

"Nick's done a fantastic job with her and as I see it, if I didn't take her someone else would.

"I've said no to a lot of good horses. I train for Mr Yoshida and if I say no to the owner, well I'm pretty much saying I can't train any of his horses."

Waller said Single Gaze would be assessed over the next month and her regular jockey Kathy O'Hara would provide valuable input.

"If she says the horse is going great I'm sure Mr Yoshida will take that into consideration and ask us to find races for her," he said.

"If not she'll just go up and be a mum."
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 7:19pm
No-one, believe me no-one, knocks back an opportunity to train a Yoshida horse.

And let's not get too emotive Bonjour, because there's absolutely no truth in your allegation that Waller "necked" Nick Olive.  The offer came out of the blue, Waller accepted (see above), and immediately phone Nick personally.  

And if the mare doesn't come up there's no doubt Waller will pull the pin.
Underground View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Underground Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 7:27pm
she will win a group 1 this spring and I will laugh at the reactions in here, some of you need to get a grip, shes a rising 6yo fiddlesticks 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 7:36pm
Waller seems to have pit the pressure on O'Hara. If she says she does not feel great do people think she is being loyal to her previous owners ?
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 7:52pm
Suspect her first loyalty will be to the mare, one would hope objectively.
billyjack View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:31pm
Wouldn,t it have been funny on here if she had of gone to Weir,then there would of been a few different comments from certain members
gordy
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by billyjack billyjack wrote:

Wouldn,t it have been funny on here if she had of gone to Weir,then there would of been a few different comments from certain members

I am not happy about either trainer getting more horses, They factories not horse yards.

What you can be sure of is the horses are not being trained by the man with his name on the licence. 
reductio ad absurdum
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:00pm

Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

They may have understood she was being bought (/retired) for breeding  but it's a VERY long bow that they were ignorant of NH breeding times.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:23pm
Among my mates, when a mare comes off the track for breeding, they get a bit of time to let down/relax/settle in to life OTT.    So, is she not to be allowed to get that time ?  She has to race, right up until NH breeding time ???   On the track one week  and into the barn the next week  Shocked  !!!  And then they will have the hide to wonder why she doesnt take, or mis carries Thumbs Down
I reckon the previous owners are well aware of NH breeding times, and like me, they expected she would get some down time before being served. 
Of course Waller couldnt knock her back ! What would that do to him and his training for the Jap owners ???  But no where here have I seen Bonjour accuse Waller of necking Olive ?? 
I just think its unethical, nasty , and unfair on the horse. 

animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:31pm

Among my mates, when a mare comes off the track for breeding, they get a bit of time to let down/relax/settle in to life OTT.    So, is she not to be allowed to get that time ?  She has to race, right up until NH breeding time ???   On the track one week  and into the barn the next week  Shocked  !!!  And then they will have the hide to wonder why she doesnt take, or mis carries Thumbs Down
I reckon the previous owners are well aware of NH breeding times, and like me, they expected she would get some down time before being served. 
Of course Waller couldnt knock her back ! What would that do to him and his training for the Jap owners ???  But no where here have I seen Bonjour accuse Waller of necking Olive ?? 
I just think its unethical, nasty , and unfair on the horse. 

Mr Yoshida owns her now. He can do what he wants with her... if you were that concerned about her then maybe you should’ve bought her yourself
"Go Hard or Go Home”
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:33pm
I sold my house a couple of years ago, found out the new owner ripped up the carpet and didn’t water the garden.
I didn’t cry on national radio about it.
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:57pm
QU (Racing Australia)

Why is SINGLE GAZE shown as now being trained by CHRIS WALLER but owners? still same as before?

If sold to Japanese interests in AUTUMN.

or is the JAPANESE owner/s hidden in the REDBANK name?

SINGLE GAZE

5yo Chestnut Mare
D.O.B: 21-Sep-2012
by NOT A SINGLE DOUBT  from REDALUCA'S GAZE
5x Pedigree Report 

StatusActive
Owner’s Details Mr N J Olive, Mr M P Hay, Mr D E Tout, Mr W P Oxford, Mr M Notaras, Redbank North Pty Ltd, Mr R P Keeley, Mr P Kouvelis, Mr N Keeley, Mr M J O'brien, Mr R A Stuart
Stewards EmbargoesCurrent - Nil
Emergency Vaccination Record(Click here for more details)
Last Gear Change*03-Apr-2018, Blinkers, Again, Comment: Declared - worked in blinkers.
TrainerMr Chris Waller (Rosehill)
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 12:03am
Red the owners details do not update until paperwork is received
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>