Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Rebel Dane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebel Dane
    Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 9:43am
Dual Group 1 winning sprinter Rebel Dane will start his stud career next season in Victoria at Sweetenham Stud. Rebel Dane will run in the TJ Smith on Saturday, then head to Adelaide and Brisbane for Group 1 races before he is retired.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
hopeforall View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hopeforall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 7:54pm
REBEL DANE: BAY OR BROWN HORSE (2009)
[California Dane (Danehill) - Texarcana (More Than Ready-USA)]
Stakes Won: AUD 2,408,600
1st
Manikato Stakes G1
Rupert Clarke Stakes G1
Royal Sovereign Stakes G2
The Shorts G2
Show County Stakes G3
plus 3 Sydney Metro wins

2nd
TJ Smith G1  (Lankan Rupee)
Missile Stakes G2
Premiere Stakes G2 (Terravista)
Hobartville Stakes G2 (Pierro)

3rd
Moir Stakes G1 (Buffering)
Manikato Stakes G1 (Chataqua)
Warwick Stakes G2 (Winx)
Missile Stakes G2
Australia Stakes G2

4th
Doomben 10,000 Stakes G1 (Spirit of Boom)
ATC Guineas G1 (Its a Dundeel)
Manikato Stakes G1 (Lankan Rupee)
All Aged Stakes G1
Futurity Stakes G1 (Turn Me Loose)
Bobbie Lewis G3 

Whilst his 2 G1 wins were well spaced apart he has proved a competitive and durable horse bred on the Danehill/MTR cross racing at the top end of the scale over 4/5 years with considerable success
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 8:00pm
Wonder how they'll price him?    

Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopeforall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 9:05pm
I saw another recent article that said there was potentially 12 or so freshmen stallions hitting the market in 2017 (Stratum Star et al...).  I would think a horse like Rebel Dane could command around that 10-12K mark as not everyone can afford the Hunter Valley stallions or some of the imported ones.... I would think there is a solid market for G1 WFA stallions around that mark and above depending on pedigree?
troppo75 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troppo75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 3:11pm
Maybe they could price him like his racing career... every 5th or 6th mare gets a 20k.. but most mares get in for 2k. 

The damn horse had ability but he rarely showed it or got a chance to show it. His sireline wouldn't attract mares in TBH
Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hopeforall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 5:11pm
I think I get what your saying Troppo but his sireline is Danehill (very commercial and part of the Northern Dancer foundation stallion line) with a MTR cross - very successful from what I'm told.  I think the commercial issue is more his female family line - it is modest and lacks the blue-blood element for high priced stallions...and yes  the racing career was frustrating from punter perspective but overall successful with 2 G1's and $2.4M in stakes...not many do that.  If he get around 10-12k i think their will be a market for him and it will remain to be seen what quality of mare he gets overall...So many freshmen it would appear in 2017 and it looks a crowded market in my view...

Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopeforall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 1:50pm
Hear he will be priced at 11k + GST...going to Doomben 10,000 as swan song run...
ENJOY View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ENJOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 2:02pm
lots of  the !s family in Rebel dane
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by hopeforall hopeforall wrote:

Hear he will be priced at 11k + GST...going to Doomben 10,000 as swan song run...
$12,500 announced a few weeks back.
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopeforall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 2:27pm
Yes you are right..should've re-checked the Swettenham site before posting my obviously old news. ...apologies.
Farmermick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmermick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 3:06am
I think in this day and age to be competitve for so long and is a winner of group 1's he deserves his shot at stud.so many breeders are so quick to knock potential stallions, on paper he looks stronger than Dane Shadow with racing results but look at the job DS has done a good bread and butter stallion.

I looked at buying a stallion to stand but unless you have $250k you have no chance the Stallions for sale at $50k alreayd have had books of 100 a season and youd be lucky to get 40 each season @ $2-3k so yes he is well priced at $12k and if he doesnt get support expect that to drop quickly to $8k then $6k that seems the general.
Ethical Farming
Boutique Horse Stud
Medicinal Plant Research
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 9:42pm
Want to bring this up again, his sire did well enough without setting the racing world afire. Died at 11yo but still got 5SW and 6SP from 136 runners and 97 winners. Best son is Rebel Dane and thinking of using him over our High Chap daughter tracing 3 back to Denise's Joy. Theoretical are promising, but I would like to get opinions on height and style of horse he is.
Spirit of Boom and I Am Invinsible have shown recently that an A grade pedigree is not necessary, but racing into their 5th and 6th year did not seem to harm their stud abilities.
RD could be the next one of this ilk. His only drawback I can see myself is he only got mid 30 mares to date, whereas the other two got hundred and more.
Over tomforum and thanks in advance.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 6:24pm
Majestic is it just about Sadler's over Danehill, or have the two descendants of Denise's Joy visited stallions that add to the attraction?

ps haven't seen Rebel Dane for nearly 12 months and didn't take huge interest at the time, but from memory he was an average sized fellow without any features that were all that memorable. 
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 11:15pm
SC, this breeding is the reverse, ie., Danehill sire line over Saddlers Wells female line. There is not as many SWs as the reverse but the Wow Signal is bred Danehill vis Choisir over High Chap daughter. Our girl has thrown a beautiful Foxwedge colt and is in foal to Adelaide to double up on SW. As a stud cattle breeder, I have double bred to influential Sires and have been both delighted and disappointed in the result. Horses are no real different, so I will try to get that jewel with my theory. I still may also double up on Denise's Joy in future, with maybe Speith or War for the mare. But that is for the future.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 7:34pm
Thanks for that background info Majestic.

Talking about "double breeding" with cattle sires, have you also tried breeding a sibling sire over your breeding females.  In the comparative context of utilizing Fairy King as an alternative to doubling Sadler's Wells?  (hope that doesn't appear condescending, as it's certainly not the intent).

And if you can afford to indulge yourself in a thus-far non-commercial stallion in order to duplicate Denise's Joy I agree that War would be a great place to start.  As a first season stallion he's had just five starters for two winners, and can confirm that he can produce an outstanding foal or three from a conformation perspective..
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Thanks for that background info Majestic.

Talking about "double breeding" with cattle sires, have you also tried breeding a sibling sire over your breeding females.  In the comparative context of utilizing Fairy King as an alternative to doubling Sadler's Wells?  (hope that doesn't appear condescending, as it's certainly not the intent).

And if you can afford to indulge yourself in a thus-far non-commercial stallion in order to duplicate Denise's Joy I agree that War would be a great place to start.  As a first season stallion he's had just five starters for two winners, and can confirm that he can produce an outstanding foal or three from a conformation perspective..

Tell me more about those Wars
to the victor
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 9:30pm
Well I've come across just two yearlings and both were top types.  One from an Al Maher that took my attention was unfortunately old (for very good money) to China.  The other which I inspected in Tassie debuted on Sunday and won with ease under a tight grip.

However if you've formed a different opinion please share it with us.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 9:30pm
...Al Maher mare that should read.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Well I've come across just two yearlings and both were top types.  One from an Al Maher that took my attention was unfortunately old (for very good money) to China.  The other which I inspected in Tassie debuted on Sunday and won with ease under a tight grip.

However if you've formed a different opinion please share it with us.

I'm hopefully pro War Thumbs Up
to the victor
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 12:25pm
Thanks for your input SC. Yes we did run sibling bills with the maiden Heifers with no physical problems, although today with genetic disorders in Angus cattle I would assume more care would be required.
As for War, he will was in the radar last year, but I had a free return to be used. There is only two stallions I know to double up on Denise’s Joy.
Tight for time now. Will add to later
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 1:53am
Des Moines is a very nice type. War seemed to improve thee phenotype
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 11:58am
This one is clearly out of one of the better mares to visit War:

War breaks out at Devonport!ins at Devonport (Peter Staples)

Blue Gum Farm’s young More Than Ready sire War posted his first winner at Devonport in Tasmania on Sunday when the promising filly Kwai scored a debut win for the Barry Campbell Stable in the Star Thoroughbreds colours.

Two-year-old Kwai had convincingly won a barrier trial in early June at the same track and thus started at very short odds on debut on Sunday even though it was against older horses.

He came out of the barriers in a tardy manner so had to be plenty of work to get to the front, but his talent shone out in the end, taking the 1000 metre race by an easy two lengths.

“More impressively than where she won, was that she was taking on the older horses at her first race, blew the start, and she still proved way too good,” Blue Gum Farm’s Phil Campbell said.

Kwai was purchased from the 2017 Magic Millions Tasmanian Yearling Sale by Boomer Bloodstock agent Craig Rounsefell and is raced by Star Thoroughbreds’ Denise Martin (sister in law to Campbell).

She is the second winner from Pontington, a half-sister by Delago Brom to stakes-winners Black Vanquish and Minnesota Shark from Group 2 winner Ponton Flyer. This is a family developed over recent decades through Victoria’s Whittenbury family and their Baree Pastoral operation although Kwai himself was bred by Tasmania’s Armidale Stud.

Kwai’s three-year-old sibling by Written Tycoon, named Island Daze, won at Sandown in April while a yearling half-brother by Toronado sold for $185,000 to trainer Robbie Griffiths and Chris Blomeley Bloodstock at this year’s Inglis Premier Sale.

A Group 3 winning son of More Than Ready (USA) from the Denise’s Joy family, War stands at Blue Gum Farm this season for a fee of $6,600 (incl GST).
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 1:36pm
Looks like Rebel Dane is the one to make way for Akeed Mofeed.

Will stand at the new joint for $6k.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 2:02pm
Americain also departing.

Melbourne Cup winner Americain will have a new home at stud this breeding season.

The 2010 Melbourne Cup winner will remain in Victoria, standing at Daisy Hill in Doreen, which is 26km north-east of Melbourne's CBD.

Daisy Hill is owned by Colleen and Kevin Bamford, whom raced Americain in partnership with Jayco Caravans proprietor Gerry Ryan.

Racing.com

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 6:22pm
I don't know any more than what's in this post Confused

It’s with incredible sadness and truly broken hearts that we announce Rebel Dane won’t be standing at Glen Eden Stud in season 2022. After a record year of covers and first ever profitable year for the ownership group we have been informed he’ll be moved on.
Anybody that knows us personally will know how we feel about this animal, we saw something truly special in him. A fighter on the track and the epitome of athleticism in the flesh. The work we put in on behalf of the owners to build him up to this point pushed me personally to near exhaustion.
After the best possible result for his filly Fireburn on Saturday the high and lows of racing are here on full display for all to see. I’d like to thank everyone who called, text, and shook my hand on Sunday with such genuine congratulations. It won’t be forgotten. We wish the horse all the best. He’ll be missed like you can’t imagine. We wish @laureloakbloodstock all the best in the slipper Go Girl !
Rory
Glen Eden Stud

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 6:43pm
Sounds like money hungry owners got a better offer from one of the bigger studs. Disappointing for Rory and Sonia
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 6:52pm
More to this.  The horse made his rep before moving to Glen Eden, whose principals fwiw don't possess a great reputation in some circles.
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 7:20pm
Who does own him? Interested to see where he ends up.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 7:31pm

Having listened to Louis Mihalyka on RSN Sun. morning, I got the distinct impression that he/Laurel Oak own him but could be well of the mark Confused
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 9:31pm
Louis Mihalyka of Laurel Oak Bloodstock, Rebel Dane's managing owner, reflects on his career and is excited about his future as a successful stallion. “Having a horse race in Group 1 or 2 company for over 30 starts is an owner's dream, with the Manikato Stakes the highlight.26 Feb 2019
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>