Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

AFL 2017/2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 12:45am
Originally posted by Hot Sauce Hot Sauce wrote:

Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

Good games coming up

I give West Coast a big chance now against GWS since 2 players have been sidelined

Swans will put the cleaners through Geelong

DeadDead

want a loan

Good trolling
EAD
Hot Sauce View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Sauce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 12:51am
missing ecair and his tips
the devil made me do it
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 2:50am
GWS v WCE at Spotless Stadium (capacity 24,000)

Tonight's crowd of 14,865 is the lowest for a final since 1916 (Fitzroy v Collingwood, 9960, semi-final at MCG). 

I find it hard to believe it was that many, when the upper tiers are empty, and every other area looks half full at best!Embarrassed
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Arjen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 11:58am
You wouldn't trade Rohan for an early 2nd round pick?
Luva Punt View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luva Punt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 3:51pm

Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

What an embarrassment GWS are to the Sydney Sporting landscape!

Cant wait to hear the crowd figure lie!!!!Embarrassed

I was offered freebies from several different sources, right up until 6:00 pm tonight!

It's a shame, Spotless is actually a fantastic "little" stadium to view any event - I've watched a lot of junior reps there ... it's a little Colosseum, you are right up close and perched above ground level.

Forget the issued tickets, I would be surprised if there were more than 8,000 people there tonight ... that's just tragic, and a sad indictment of what the organisation has done to generate support at ground level in the Western Sydney Community ...Dead

I get your point about the crowd figures Dr E, but can you really take pot shots at a team that has only been in existence for 6 years, and is playing in it's second consecutive preliminary final?

The crowd figures are embarrassing, but the team itself has been quite successful, in only a short period of time.

I don't know why they don't have a purpose built stadium where both Sydney and GWS play all of their games, similar to the Adelaide Oval set up.

As long as you had easy access by train / public transport and plenty of eateries / shops in the area,
 I would have thought it would be a recipe for long term success.

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 2:16am
Originally posted by Arjen Arjen wrote:

You wouldn't trade Rohan for an early 2nd round pick?

No. look, I may be looking through rose coloured glasses, but as you know I rate his ability, he is a quality individual. I would persevere, and I think the club will too.

Whilst he has had 8 seasons at the club, I see him more like a 5 season player, due to the series of injury interruptions he has still not played 100 games, and fingers crossed, is ready to play his best football.

I think it is simplistic to say that he "chokes" in big games ... plenty of players don't even get to play finals football. I checked his record, and was surprised ... here is a guy who has played in 14 finals games, and won 6 of them (and he missed 2012 when they won the flag, which would have likely given him a positive 9 from 17 record). In fact his "statistically" best game was in a prelim in 2014 against North when he had 23 disposals. So I'm happy to have a player of that experience on the list. I think the Swans do the draft and trading pretty well in general, and hopefully they can do something with Tippett to free up some options. Other than that, I think they have a list that doesn't need much change to be a chance again next year ... really only Jack and McVeigh who are getting to the end of their careers ... they just need to get out of the blocks a bit quicker, and secure that crucial top 4 spot. 
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 2:59am
Originally posted by Luva Punt Luva Punt wrote:

What an embarrassment GWS are to the Sydney Sporting landscape!

Cant wait to hear the crowd figure lie!!!!Embarrassed

I was offered freebies from several different sources, right up until 6:00 pm tonight!

It's a shame, Spotless is actually a fantastic "little" stadium to view any event - I've watched a lot of junior reps there ... it's a little Colosseum, you are right up close and perched above ground level.

Forget the issued tickets, I would be surprised if there were more than 8,000 people there tonight ... that's just tragic, and a sad indictment of what the organisation has done to generate support at ground level in the Western Sydney Community ...Dead

I get your point about the crowd figures Dr E, but can you really take pot shots at a team that has only been in existence for 6 years, and is playing in it's second consecutive preliminary final?

The crowd figures are embarrassing, but the team itself has been quite successful, in only a short period of time.

I don't know why they don't have a purpose built stadium where both Sydney and GWS play all of their games, similar to the Adelaide Oval set up.

As long as you had easy access by train / public transport and plenty of eateries / shops in the area,
 I would have thought it would be a recipe for long term success.

Luva, the decision to go ahead and create the two new franchises was made 11 years ago, and had been the subject of feasibility studies for years before that. Whilst they had the blueprint for developing a winning footy team, they had NFI how to build a support base.

Getting a competitive football side on the park is not easy, and it was always going to take 4 or 5 years - when their priority draft picks were 22 and 23 yo 70 to 100 game AFL players ... and there is no question that once they got rid of Izzy, they traded well, and they now have the best quality list in the league (i'm unconvinced that they are the best team though - yet). They have had the services of some of the best football coaches, list managers and player managers available, and they are where they should be in that department. Gold Coast is the worry.  

However, they completely missed the boat when it came to administration off the field - it was a bit of a joke in fact, that their first CEO was a former head of the local league, who had come to Sydney with "limited" experience. Typically, the caliber of ex-pat player and or administrator who gravitates to Sydney is mediocre. They have rarely reached the heights in a traditional AFL state or city, and probably would never have got a job running a decent country league. That is the nature of Sydney AFL, it is the lowest level of AFL in the country.  This guy spent 5 years successfully posturing for the GWS position, and then simply parachuted all his "amateur" admin staff into roles at the club ... it has been a disaster. He actually worked him out pretty quickly, he was sacked and they are still picking through the aftermath.

The reason for the GWS franchise was flawed to start with though.

It was simply about TV rights money, and a wall to wall product - never really about development of the code in Sydney - if it had been, they would have been in those Western Sydney clubs developing them at grass roots level properly more than a dozen years ago.

Alas, I doubt that the AFL understand the market they are in, it is now all too hard, and they will just be satisfied with whatever supporter growth happens as a result of the successful team. 

As for facilities, they have the perfect located ground, central to all fans at Sydney Olympic park, with buses and trains - Spotless for 20-24,000 crowds, and ANZ stadium next door if they ever get a real support base and a blockbuster.

Personally, I would have been playing all games at the SCG, but it defeats the purpose of having a Western Sydney domiciled team, and doesn't encourage them to develop support in the west.

... not exactly sure what the answer is, but it is certainly not what works in Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth. 
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 11:03am
I live in the west and NO ONE gives a rats about GWS

The majority of the supporters are Canberra based
EAD
Luva Punt View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luva Punt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 5:15pm

However, they completely missed the boat when it came to administration off the field - it was a bit of a joke in fact, that their first CEO was a former head of the local league, who had come to Sydney with "limited" experience. Typically, the caliber of ex-pat player and or administrator who gravitates to Sydney is mediocre. They have rarely reached the heights in a traditional AFL state or city, and probably would never have got a job running a decent country league. That is the nature of Sydney AFL, it is the lowest level of AFL in the country.  This guy spent 5 years successfully posturing for the GWS position, and then simply parachuted all his "amateur" admin staff into roles at the club ... it has been a disaster. He actually worked him out pretty quickly, he was sacked and they are still picking through the aftermath.

The reason for the GWS franchise was flawed to start with though.

It was simply about TV rights money, and a wall to wall product - never really about development of the code in Sydney - if it had been, they would have been in those Western Sydney clubs developing them at grass roots level properly more than a dozen years ago.

Alas, I doubt that the AFL understand the market they are in, it is now all too hard, and they will just be satisfied with whatever supporter growth happens as a result of the successful team. 

Interestingly, Dr.E, from what I have been advised, the AFL completely coc.ked it up and made no effort to engage with the community, which is exactly the opposite of what the Western Sydney Wanderers have done with the soccer.

Apparently, the Western Sydney Wanderers actively got involved with the community, and are a part of the fabric of the Western Suburbs community through their engagement strategy, engaging people through connectivity, with development programs, creating partnerships with school communities, football associations and local football clubs, all of  which characterise the core Western Sydney Wanderers Community fabric.  They actively want to be the pride of Western Sydney and there is an enormous sense of power in the Red and Black colours, and they have encouraged the community to stand together, both as individuals and a community, and be proud of the area they represent.

The AFL have done nothing like what the Western Sydney Wanderers, have done, and, as a consequence, as you say, they have missed the boat.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 8:22pm
Wanderers are a great example Luva Punt, although grass roots soccer has been well established for a long time, so if they got it wrong, nobody had a chance!

TIGER is right too ... early days they took the soft option of playing a lot of games in an AFL stronghold, Canberra, and virtually giving away about 10,000 memberships down there ... their development area includes ACT and Riverina, again AFL grass roots nurseries, so they don't need to bother with development in Penrith or Parramatta for that reason ... unfortunately, not many of them bother travelling up to Homebush for games.Thumbs Down 
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 10:16pm
5 minutes of the first quarter to go ... wonder who Adelaide will play in the grannie?Shocked
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 10:27pm
I hate The bloody Crows. I hope it isn't too hot next weekend, as it looks like I will be spending it in the garden. Will not watch those flogs in a GF.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 10:32pm
Spoken like a true Port fan!LOL
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 10:50pm

Spoken like a true Port fan!LOL

No chance, they are flogs too.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 10:51pm
I live in rural SA, any Crow or Port success is just awful. Crows fans are just like meth heads here, they are everywhere and offer very little.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 11:06pm
Feral footy fans ... who would have thought!? Wink

Both sides are hard to beat down there ... this could have been a 4 goal game if the umpires had have picked up the Sloane elbow to Dangerfield's chin! ... love how obvious it was, on the replays, yet the commentators dismiss it ... clear free, although the ump may have been unsighted.

Could yet be an interesting 2nd half ... 
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 11:09pm
Agree, Sloane went hard but it was high. two goal turn around.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 11:23pm
Another UBET inflated odds promo that i abused in this game. Crows to lead at every change @$3.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 12:07am
[QUOTE=saintly96] I hate The bloody Crows. I hope it isn't too hot next weekend, as it looks like I will be spending it in the garden. Will not watch those flogs in a GF.[/QUOTE

I used to be the same, following another team in this town they're easy to hate. But they've won me over, the Crows. Been terrific on and off the field in the last couple of years. All teams have their flog supporters.

And quite simply, they're the beast team in the comp. They deserve their success.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 12:08am
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Another UBET inflated odds promo that i abused in this game. Crows to lead at every change @$3.

No lube used at the Adelaide Oval either it seems.

Perfect!
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 1:25am
What a win by the crows.....1 to go

EAD
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 11:28am
Dr E has an unnatural and unhealthy level of interest in Aussie Rules for someone who I gather lives across the road from the Lakemba mosque. I wonder how he came by that? Don't tell me- Mexican?
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Dr E has an unnatural and unhealthy level of interest in Aussie Rules for someone who I gather lives across the road from the Lakemba mosque. I wonder how he came by that? Don't tell me- Mexican?

Australian Rules Football isn't a Victorian game, it's a national game, and has been played in Sydney for 140 years.

In the early 1900's it was the most popular code in Sydney, VFL premiership matches were played here regularly, and it wasn't until Rugby League turned professional in 1908 that it was surpassed in popularity - just ask maccamax!Tongue

I'm born and bred in Bankstown and we had a professional Sydney AFL team playing in Division 1 in the 70's and 80's, still have a junior club.

I've followed the game all my life, and the Swans since the '80s.

My boys all played, one of them has played VFL.

You know what Tlaz, you wouldn't look like such a dill if you just did a little research, and had half a clue about some of the stuff you snipe about.Wink

max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 8:52pm
Poor old GWS supporters must be outnumbered 100 to 1. The Tiger fans look a touch boganish as well.
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 1:58am
Adelaide will absolutely pump Richmond.

40 plus points.
Hot Sauce View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Sauce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 12:44pm

I live in the glorious Qld, never lived in Melbourne and always followed a VFL team from way back

I'm 86 now and watch all sport cause it keeps me from carking too early from boredom

my nephew played aerial ping-pong for Sydney Naval in the 60's down at Trumper Park, Paddington

the devil made me do it
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Hot Sauce Hot Sauce wrote:

I live in the glorious Qld, never lived in Melbourne and always followed a VFL team from way back

I'm 86 now and watch all sport cause it keeps me from carking too early from boredom

my nephew played aerial ping-pong for Sydney Naval in the 60's down at Trumper Park, Paddington

Here's an interesting article for you Hot Sauce ... your nephew may have even played against St George AFC Team of the Century and AFL Hall of Famer, Graham Cornes had he been in Sydney in 1970. Lots of players who were enlisted, had a time in Sydney, normally at Holsworthy, before they were deployed. (my own sons play with St George).

Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 6:35pm
Little to no interest in this weekends game. Cannot stand the Crows and am repulsed by the Tigers fans
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Poor old GWS supporters must be outnumbered 100 to 1. The Tiger fans look a touch boganish as well.

Careful max, that's at bit like "deplorables", isn't it?

Crows to win comfortably, but a terrific story either way. Sincerely hope Cotchin plays, just went in very hard for the ball (as did Sloane), and would love to see him in the GF- he's just in beast mode ATM- but the AFL have created a rod for their own back with regards to head high contact. And the MRP is a chook raffle.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 9:24pm
They would tear AFL HQ down if anyone was to miss a GF based on an incident in a prelim ... just doesn't happen!Wink

Should be a great game, I think the supporters are fairly even in the feral/bogan stakes.

Adelaide are the favourites, but like the Swans last year, they need to come to the MCG and hope that the Umpires can overcome the emotion of the moment, and not get caught up in the pro- Tigers Cinderella Story.

... assuming that there are no major outs, Crows by less than a goal, with Jack R kicking a point from a set shot after the siren. Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>