Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Freshmen 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 10:09pm
Yeah just noticed 'Mikki Isle' like him also a lot.

Same problem not enough proof his sire could sire NH Winners.

The current list of Freshman I would pass apart from them
two.

Not saying there's not any good ones amongst them but I cannot pick them.

Enlighten us Gov, what do you like from this list I'm stumped!
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 10:42pm
I wont be popular but here goes:

Winning Rupert - the times he ran have no peer in the freshman list
Air Force Blue - Big fan of War Front.  Could have a big impact in AUS
Extreme Choice - bit on the fence, but could end up just like his Dad

Also like Maurice but pretty sure he was a handful
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 11:01pm
Mmmmmm........Written Tycoon was on the ropes as a stallion but has turned it all around for sure!!!

Like War Front also and 'Could' is apt assessment.

To many 'Maybe's in the list so far;

Where are the son's of Fastnet Rock, Lope De Vega, Zabeel, Exceed and Excel the champions where, where, where!

A bunch of absolute Duds.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 8:53am
The only one I like of the bunch is Shalaa

Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 9:43pm
Palentino is standing at Sun Stud.

No idea what his conformation is like doesn't look overly
flash in the photo I saw of him running.

That aside I like him.

Gov, he would go alright with you mare that has Galileo in her pedigree.

Double up on Galileo!
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Aurelius Aurelius wrote:

Palentino is standing at Sun Stud.

No idea what his conformation is like doesn't look overly
flash in the photo I saw of him running.

That aside I like him.

Gov, he would go alright with you mare that has Galileo in her pedigree.

Double up on Galileo!

He is a good looking lad Palentino!

Pretty sure I will be going either War Front or Fastnet Rock for her. 
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:26pm
Has Fastnet Rock come back to the market or are you making too much cash!!
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:32pm
Teofilo was 22k from memory reckon Palentino will probably be the same if they don't over price him.
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:35pm

I should have clarified 'a son of' Fastnet or War Front.

Are you using any this year? 

I have to say that the best yearlings of the 1st season sires goes to Sizzling IMO. They were on average very good quality - well balanced & strong.
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:48pm
Funny that Sizzling by far my fav of that crop.

Only downside I thought wasn't 16h like the others howeverfrom what your saying that's not a downside especially with a bigger mare.

Nah give it a miss this year, if I was to go to a stallion it would be Deep Field at the right price.

Not overly excited by Encosta De Lago but he showed he was pretty good early in his career and tappered off a tad and maybe his sons will do the same.
rem286 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem286 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 11:18pm
Stratum Star goes to Widden
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 10:11am
Gilgai Farm are bringing G2 winner Cable Bay (Invincible Spirit) over. He'll stand at Woodside for $19,800.
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Sir Gov Sir Gov wrote:

I should have clarified 'a son of' Fastnet or War Front.

Are you using any this year? 

I have to say that the best yearlings of the 1st season sires goes to Sizzling IMO. They were on average very good quality - well balanced & strong.

I agree 100%. I was no wrap on Sizzling based on his racetrack performance but have loved his yearlings. Honourable mention to Dundeel who has also thrown some crackers.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 11:00pm
REd Hare are you correct on that price?
Stands for 5000 pounds in Eng.   I.e. $8000 aus

Won a weak 2yo mdn at Leicester.  Couldn't win at 3 and got away with a couple of group races over 1400 ms at 4 at rather longish odds.

Surely the price is meant to be $8800 or do some people not realise the internet is universal
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 11:04pm
Aurelius / Sir Gov  I was taken with the Epaulettes ( so are the poms ). One thing I picked up o/s is that the Zebedees are speedy but TOUGH. They take work
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 10:44am
Astern confirmed for Darley, meaning that the trifecta from the Coolmore are all retired four months later. I will be interested to see whether Russian Revolution makes it to next season - maybe he is the one for The Everest. Probably needs to add to the CV with only a handicap G1 under his belt and then underwhelming at WFA. Maybe Brisbane can fix that, though.

Stratum Star also confirmed for Widden at the seemingly attractive $11,000. Odyssey Moon at Olly Tait's Twin Hills at $8,800.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

REd Hare are you correct on that price? Stands for 5000 pounds in Eng.   I.e. $8000 aus
Won a weak 2yo mdn at Leicester.  Couldn't win at 3 and got away with a couple of group races over 1400 ms at 4 at rather longish odds.
Surely the price is meant to be $8800 or do some people not realise the internet is universal

http://www.woodsideparkstud.com.au/news/230-gilgai-and-woodside-team-up-to-shuttle-cable-bay-in-2017.html
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 12:44pm
That Gilgai/Woodside press release mentions everything you would want to read as a new breeder, or one that sees themselves as a hobbyist looking to go up a level. The facts, as presented, are as striking as they are indisputable (although you could argue that a farm's benchmark is foals, not runners). The price is a tad offensive, but it is presented in a way that assures the customer that they will be breeding with purpose. 

Gilgai is the brand, not whatsitsname. Any sense of prestige belongs with the farm, not the stallion.

I would be most interested to hear any feedback from breeders on there as to what they think of their approach. Just how much mayonnaise is there on this template? 
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 2:22am
When I first read the publicity sheet I thought what a horse.

Then I went to Racing Post & looked at all his races in detail. Then I understood how cleverly written the publicity piece is. And further when looking in detail at his pedigree it is obvious why his English fee is ONLY 5000 Pounds
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 2:38am
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

When I first read the publicity sheet I thought what a horse.

Then I went to Racing Post & looked at all his races in detail. Then I understood how cleverly written the publicity piece is. And further when looking in detail at his pedigree it is obvious why his English fee is ONLY 5000 Pounds
So we can give them a tick for marketing AND for not letting the UK market's price stand in the way of their template (whatever it may be).

I dare say the selection process factored in the mare population within a certain radius, in addition to whatever success factors they've identified within the hypothetical matings.... then again, it might just be the marketing. The bloke does make a good business out of "high end" party hire. He could have his own show on 9Life LOL
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 8:14am
dont rate that horse at all. Reckon they will be lucky to get 70 mares
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Sir Gov Sir Gov wrote:

dont rate that horse at all. Reckon they will be lucky to get 70 mares
Given the tone of the press release, a high number of coverings isn't part of the template.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 11:48am
Spendthrift adding Swear & Hit It A Bomb to their roster for 2017.

I want to get behind these guys, but they need to play a few more trumps like Into Mischief and Malibu Moon... even Danza would be competitive in Vic.

Given the exodus amongst his age group, I can't help but feel as though they've missed an opportunity to advertise Swear to their Victorian customers. 
Spearmint View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spearmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 5:01pm
Swear !! You bloody bewdy

This horse should be a good value stallion prospect.

When did they announce he was standing?
"Nothing in the world is so powerful as an idea whose time has come"
GETNHI View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GETNHI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 11:08am
I have my  mare Realisticness booked into Swear, they notified us in March, so we jumped on it!

Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 11:27am
He looks like good value for a punt at 5k.

Only knock he only won a G3 however so did Commands.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 1:34pm
Best win by I am Invincible was a G3 also.  Fell in love with Swear as a yearling and feel he could of delivered more if raced on.  That's the only thing annoying me.  Colt's don't have to finish racing as three year olds.  It doesn't seem to have done the last few generations retirements any good.  Both Written Tycoon and I am Invincible raced on and they are among or the best of their years retirements.  Where are the three year olds going of four who might mature enough to at least give Winx a run for her money.  All going to stud it seems.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 1:41pm
That said if you have an O'Reilly, Savabeel, High Chaparral mare I think he fits you very well.  As said above lots of nice catches in his pedigree.
GETNHI View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GETNHI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 2:17pm
GETNHI View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GETNHI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 2:20pm
None of the above bloodlines unfortunately, but we will see how we go. I wish i had her half sister who just sold for $700k at the chairmans.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>