Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Everest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 29>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Nocturnal Nocturnal wrote:

Lordy , lets rewind a year or so ago do you stump up for Buffering?

This seems a scheme hatched by the rich .

Doubt it. That's just a stupid amount of money. Sounds like a pi$$ing contest for high rollers. A bit like the yearling sales in some ways.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 7:39pm
Whats the cost for fully accepting for the Melb Cup?  $70k?
Spearmint View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spearmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:13pm
How bloody boring is this concept?

But let's watch this elitist super rich game take place.

This is not about quality horse racing, this is about 12 lottery tickets that can be traded among the rich.One will make more money that they don't need whilst the rest can lose money that they don't need. Who cares?

We already have a quality horse racing system based on black type racing that has a proven heritage, where the only thing that matters is if your horse has the quality to compete and not the amount of money you have.

Anyway if Racing NSW believe that the way to market horse racing to the public is that it is elitist and for the very rich then this concept should work
"Nothing in the world is so powerful as an idea whose time has come"
BlackKnight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Spearmint Spearmint wrote:

This is not about quality horse racing, this is about 12 lottery tickets that can be traded among the rich.One will make more money that they don't need whilst the rest can lose money that they don't need. Who cares?

We already have a quality horse racing system based on black type racing that has a proven heritage, where the only thing that matters is if your horse has the quality to compete and not the amount of money you have.

Anyway if Racing NSW believe that the way to market horse racing to the public is that it is elitist and for the very rich then this concept should work

Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by BlackKnight BlackKnight wrote:

Clap
Sunline...simply supreme
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:37pm
What is it called Everest? What is it's relevance to the race?
vaopoaljsie View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vaopoaljsie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:40pm
Nsw flipped the calendar two page too far . It's on feb 1 today sweethearts
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

The Everest will have fallen by 2020. These gimmicks simply do not last.

LOL  Thats what they said about The Golden Slipper when it was first proposed .

I am sorry you fail to see the difference between the 2.
vaopoaljsie View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vaopoaljsie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:41pm
Mark my words

this will be a disaster

Why do you commit for three years

It's a ducking hupoxrisy garbage maggot infested bowels of greedy corporate right wingers on the board who make me want to vomit

Just cannot stand these puss balls
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by vaopoaljsie vaopoaljsie wrote:

Mark my words

this will be a disaster

It's a ducking hupoxrisy garbage maggot infested bowels of greedy corporate right wingers on the board who make me want to vomit

Umm.
Phazeal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phazeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:52pm
Lol. This:

....and this......

Mark my words

this will be a disaster

....could be written by the same guy.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:57pm
I'm not 100% certain how I feel about this concept. On one hand it's about time our highest stakemoney race reflects the horses we breed in this country. Like it or not we breed sprinter/milers and do a very good job of it. So I don't have any problem with a mega money sprint race.

I'm very confused about how it will all work. I think the key element is that the $600,000 a year " slots" in the race can be sold or leased. Does that mean one of the people who had stumped up the money could approach Lordy with the deal " I'll lease my slot in the race to Buffering for 15% of the prizemoney he wins in it"? Or Goldolphin could do the same deal with someone who had a good sprinter by one of their stallions?

As I said I'm a bit confused how it works. By the way I know Buffering's retired. It's only an example.

TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:03pm
Black Caviar should do a John Farnham
EAD
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:07pm
BC will be a little busy in October, about to deliver a foal
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

I'm not 100% certain how I feel about this concept. On one hand it's about time our highest stakemoney race reflects the horses we breed in this country. Like it or not we breed sprinter/milers and do a very good job of it. So I don't have any problem with a mega money sprint race.

You have been hoodwinked like most other people.

We breed the whole gamut of horses in this country. Our trainers - their facilities - One or the other, just do not have the ability to develop stayers.

But you are right the distance is the distance to suit trainers and their abilities.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:18pm

I'm very confused about how it will all work. I think the key element is that the $600,000 a year " slots" in the race can be sold or leased. Does that mean one of the people who had stumped up the money could approach Lordy with the deal " I'll lease my slot in the race to Buffering for 15% of the prizemoney he wins in it"? Or Goldolphin could do the same deal with someone who had a good sprinter by one of their stallions?

Basically that is correct.

People who do not even own horses would be able to buy slots.

Absolutely certain that was the case in the Pegasus.

reductio ad absurdum
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Magnolian Khan Magnolian Khan wrote:

What is it called Everest? What is it's relevance to the race?

Paying homage to how hard it is to get a full field in Sydney? Like climbing Mt Everest
to the victor
Spearmint View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spearmint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Phazeal Phazeal wrote:

Lol. This:

This is not about quality horse racing, this is about 12 lottery tickets that can be traded among the rich.One will make more money that they don't need whilst the rest can lose money that they don't need. Who cares?k

....and this......

Mark my words

this will be a disaster

Good grief no connection whatsoever. What purpose was your post supposed to do?
"Nothing in the world is so powerful as an idea whose time has come"
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:31pm
It's such a boring concept it has filled 4 pages worth of discussion inside 12 hours.

reductio ad absurdum
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:31pm
Personally I find the idea of The Jericho Cup which was announced at pretty much the same time a much more interesting concept. No buy ins and give everyone a crack at some decent prize money.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Personally I find the idea of The Jericho Cup which was announced at pretty much the same time a much more interesting concept. No buy ins and give everyone a crack at some decent prize money.

LOL
reductio ad absurdum
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by James James wrote:

LOL

A 4600m slog fest at Warrnambool has exciting written all over it. Should get old mate that calls the hurdles to do it LOL
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:44pm

Oh,  I do see the diff.   Thumbs Up   Most definately.   This one is for the super rich.   No poor boys will get a look in here .  Cry
But your reference to gimmicks made me think about what I heard people say re the Slipper.
And it was pretty much what you said.   Gimmicks do not last.  And look how the Slipper is going .  Everyone wants to be in it.LOL  And it gets bigger and better each year.
So who is to say this gimmick wont kick off among the rich and famous ??

animals before people.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 10:23pm

Oh,  I do see the diff.   Thumbs Up   Most definately.   This one is for the super rich.   No poor boys will get a look in here .  Cry
But your reference to gimmicks made me think about what I heard people say re the Slipper.
And it was pretty much what you said.   Gimmicks do not last.  And look how the Slipper is going .  Everyone wants to be in it.LOL  And it gets bigger and better each year.
So who is to say this gimmick wont kick off among the rich and famous ??

u

Smart people created the slipper and the less astute were jealous, this time the less astute are creating an event telling everyone but the elite to stay away

These days companies and sports are falling over themselves to stay popular and relevant, to entice new audiences - but not these fellows!
to the victor
Ammy42 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ammy42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 10:33pm

As I said I'm a bit confused how it works. By the way I know Buffering's retired. It's only an example.

Agree here. Our sprint races do need more money, but I don't quite understand how this is going to work.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 4:52am
I'm struggling to work out how they are going to sell 10 'slots', what happens if they can only sell 6?

Having said that, I'm not against the concept as long as prizemoney is not topped up.
If it's self funded,it's all upside isn't it?
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 5:57am
I would like to see a race put on where owners pay $3500 per month plus various other costs, the race will be run over 1260m and carry a purse of 20k

We can call it the horse trader

JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 6:25am

Which is why the TJ should have been the centrepiece of the Championships all along. And still can be if they come to their senses. Like world racing really needs another megarich 2000m race...
Slammington View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slammington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 6:26am
This concept doesn't lock out the small players because the owners of the slots can make an arrangement with anyone with a suitable runner for their horse to take the slot and split the return in some way. It does not mean you must run the same horse for 3 years in a row.

I think the likes of Waller/Gai and maybe even Baker/Joe Pride up here would be looking seriously at getting a slot, and Godolphin is obviously a given. If you're Waller why not get a slot and you can run your top sprinter if you have one, if not try and do a deal with someone like Gelagotis with Malaguerra or Matty Dale with Fell Swoop if he's in form. Usually Waller would have a sprinter worth running though, especially if it means deferring stud duties for a short period- think Zoustar, Brazen Beau, Japonisme Press Statement. The studs could take a similar approach. Maybe Newgate bring Winning Rupert out of retirement? 

Similarly Godolphin's approach would be interesting. They always seem to have an exceptional sprinting colt, certainly in early spring - e.g. Exosphere, Astern that usually run well in the Roman Consul on Epsom Day. Do you throw it in at the older horses a couple of weeks later when they are new 3yops, or do you keep them in training a bit longer as an early 4yo and have a crack?  

Someone like John Moore over in Hong Kong might be interested in taking a slot. If he hasn't got a sprinter he might look at putting his head together with the trainer of the leading sprinter over there for a crack at the race. The Japanese might be similarly minded.

I don't really understand all of the knocks on the race already. If it doesn't work out, so what? It is not like it will leave a $10m black hole from other industry money. It could have some real positive spin-offs for Victoria in opening up more foreign participation in the flow through to the Manikato and Darley. And it might have the result of ensuring that a number of our best colts race on a little longer after their 3yop season, which has been a massive problem for our racing for a number of years now. Battlers aren't ruled out, because if you have one of the best sprinters someone with a slot will want to do a deal with you.  

I think they should be congratulated on the initiative.

JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 6:27am

Originally posted by Phazeal Phazeal wrote:

Lol. This:

This is not about quality horse racing, this is about 12 lottery tickets that can be traded among the rich.One will make more money that they don't need whilst the rest can lose money that they don't need. Who cares?k

....and this......

Mark my words

this will be a disaster

Good grief no connection whatsoever. What purpose was your post supposed to do?

Irony I think you'll find, Spearmint.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 29>