Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Everest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 29>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Originally posted by Sir Gov Sir Gov wrote:

Well I can think of plenty of six furlong races in recent years where Vega Magic wouldn’t start favourite, that’s for sure. This looks a pretty standard field of local sprinters in what seems a below average period for Australian sprinting.

Clearly taking the pxss. Ha ha

Not at all. Chautauqua clearly the the best credentialed horse in the field and he appears (and the market would suggest) past his best. There are some horses with upside and maybe the race will look stronger in hindsight but there’s a chance it could look weaker. If they come through it you’d expect the best of these to line up again in the Darley.

They wanted international stars. They got Brave Smash.

That's why I am confident SWR. Chautauqua has been great but is probably not great now.SWR looks like she could be great. Maybe she won't be but she is the only one for whom you can even entertain the question.

Vega Magic, Redzel,English, Redkirk Warrior etc will never be great - their level has been found.
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

The continued desperate clutching at an international flavour to justify millions in promotion, let alone prize money.

the interesting thing is the mainstream media coverage of this race - prime time news bulletins across all channels have been running the usual 'stable visit' stories.

i just wonder how that arrangement occured?

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 12:52pm

Well I can think of plenty of six furlong races in recent years where Vega Magic wouldn’t start favourite, that’s for sure. This looks a pretty standard field of local sprinters in what seems a below average period for Australian sprinting.
DISREGARD comment - quasi Victorian ( Adelaide lad !)
Refer ALP Election Promises
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 12:53pm
To an old fart like me the Caulfield card looks better than the Randwick one but most of the people at Randwick probably won't even look at a Caulfield race.

Even here there has been zero interest in the Caulfield Guineas, traditionally the big race today. Do believe the hype.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

To an old fart like me the Caulfield card looks better than the Randwick one but most of the people at Randwick probably won't even look at a Caulfield race.

Even here there has been zero interest in the Caulfield Guineas, traditionally the big race today. Do believe the hype.
Yes - much to the southerners disgust. Oh well !
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Gee one-one. If you’re ever over here I’d be very careful about lumping the locals in with the Vics. You might not make it out of here.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 1:03pm

Gee one-one. If you’re ever over here I’d be very careful about lumping the locals in with the Vics. You might not make it out of here.
Well up this way we lump you blokes all in together - 2 heads & all that. Have you been unable to unjam the TV knob off channel 78 yet Judge ?
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 1:04pm
It's a good field, but considering some of the great sprinters we've seen in the last decade or so it's not quite there yet in terms of getting the mouth watering. A lot of good horses though. 
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 1:05pm
I'm in NSW and I'm looking at the high class of the Victorian fields - as they always are at this time of year.  But that doesn't take away from the class the Everest has attracted.  
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

I'm in NSW and I'm looking at the high class of the Victorian fields - as they always are at this time of year.  But that doesn't take away from the class the Everest has attracted.  
Albury lass ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 1:13pm

Well up this way we lump you blokes all in together - 2 heads & all that. Have you been unable to unjam the TV knob off channel 78 yet Judge ?

I wish I lived in Sydney. You’re all swimming at your beautiful beaches and sailing on your beautiful harb...no wait scratch that. More likely your hunkered down in some scaly Leagues Club, or even more likely stuck in a two hour traffic jam, listening to Ray Hadley or Alan Jones as you make your way back to some outer suburban sh1thole which is about the only place you can afford without having to auction off a kidney.

Yeah, I wish I lived in Sydney.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 1:14pm
Is the race caller calling from the car park?
Could hardly hear him (ch 7)
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 1:14pm

I wish I lived in Sydney. You’re all swimming at your beautiful beaches and sailing on your beautiful harb...no wait scratch that. More likely your hunkered down in some scaly Leagues Club, or even more likely stuck in a two hour traffic jam, listening to Ray Hadley or Alan Jones as you make your way back to some outer suburban sh1thole which is about the only place you can afford without having to auction off a kidney.

Just as I thought - all bitter & twisted !
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 1:17pm

was that posted from your apple mackintosh?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 1:20pm
This is great one-one. Over in the other place you and others keep telling me you live in a dump. Nothing like a big race to restore a sense of civic pride. Go Everest!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 1:26pm
For me to agree or disagree if the field is the best for a while, I need a race to reference.

Which race do think was better, from recent years?

I will say this about todays field.

I think Menari, In Her Time, Takedown, Sheidel, Silent Sedition, Catchy and to a lesser extent Rock magic would all be competitive here, so, is it the best possible field we could have assembled, no, but is it a worthwhile field for the first running of this event, then with no international runners, I would say yes.

I would have liked to see a Hong Kong sprinter come for the race, but with the short period of time between now and the international meeting, that will never happen until they have their next Silent Witness. 

I think jacko1's assessment of the race is 100% correct!

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 1:52pm
It's more the case that there horses are banned at the moment due to quarantine issues.  When that is fixed I'm sure well get some HK horses trying to come.  Afterall the chinese are there as owners of a couple of slots.

Yes I would of loved to see In Her Time, Catchy and even Rock Magic in the field.  Picked them out of the sales as well so instead of two I'd of had 1/2 the field to run.  Menari blotted his copybook but he had been on the mind of a few I think.  Sheidel, Takedown on form could be there but some others have come out this spring and out performed them.  Catchy's trainer has always wanted 1600m meters for this filly so she was never in the mix. 
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 1:55pm
Actually a Western Sydney lass - well a fair few years off lass but still nice thought.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 2:06pm
catchy wouldnt get sighted in this field today.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 2:08pm
Not being trained for 1600m she wouldn't!  She was never in the mix as I said above.
Balciano View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balciano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 2:44pm

I'd agree 100% with that Judge.

Having said that, the Everest field assembled looks top class, even with the absence of any internationals and the promotion it's received in mainstream media has been amazing and can only be good for racing (even though trying to sit through an episode of the Trek to the Everest is an ordeal.)

Stainvita View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stainvita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 2:50pm

Ah Melbourne "The Gateway To The South Pole"
If your hands aren't shaking you haven't put enough on.
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

The continued desperate clutching at an international flavour to justify millions in promotion, let alone prize money.

the interesting thing is the mainstream media coverage of this race - prime time news bulletins across all channels have been running the usual 'stable visit' stories.

i just wonder how that arrangement occured?

Nothing is free mate. They call it advertorial.
Sunline...simply supreme
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 4:19pm
Loved it ..    Judge Holden has Sydney tabbed .   lol .

I lived opposite the Opera House and sold up 2009 to be close to Family .
I won't tell you what I think of the hot box , Qld , but I did once say , " if Oz was having an enema , Brisbane is where they'd put the nozzle.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 5:11pm
I liked Deploy a bit, from the yard parade, not that you see that much of them.
correctweight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 5:14pm
As a Melbournian I was against this race at the start. But the TAB turnovers are over 1 Mil on the NSW tote and 500k on the Vic tote, 30k crowd being reported. This is Sydney's biggest race day now.
correctweight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 5:20pm
When was the last time Vega Magic was restrained from a gate??
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 5:24pm
Is The Everest a stakes race? I didnt see where it said it was stakes race?
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
WarriSymbol View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriSymbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 5:26pm
Where are all the SWR spruikers?
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 5:28pm
It will one day be Jamal.

What a great run by Redzel. On pace all the way and held off the negative ridden horses.
Great ride too.

Snowden/McEvoy strike again. Clap 
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 29>