Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Everest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 29>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the miz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 9:41am
Good for him, hope it wins.

The race is hardly inspiring though.  That makes 2 non group 1 winners out of 4 so far.
the miz
v'landwick the king of spin
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 9:10pm
This is my first cut at Locks,Probables and Possibles. 
Obviously subject to fitness, form, availability. No particular order.

My early preferences in blue
Thoughts on others?

Locks
Chautauqua 
Fell Swoop
She Will Rein
Caravaggio

Probables
Limato
English
Spieth
Redzel
Le Romain

Possibles
In Her time
Global Glamour
Terravista
Vega Magic
Black Heart Bart
Russian Revolution
Houtzen

Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 6:58am
What a race!!!! Will become the best race in AUS!
Slammington View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slammington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 8:36am
English is now a lock - has been given the TAB slot.

I think Carravagio's appearance will depend on a win or near win in the July Cup on Saturday week. If he is down the track they may pull the pin on the trip. Not sure who Coolmore would use their slot on if he doesn't come though.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Slammington Slammington wrote:

English is now a lock - has been given the TAB slot.

I think Carravagio's appearance will depend on a win or near win in the July Cup on Saturday week. If he is down the track they may pull the pin on the trip. Not sure who Coolmore would use their slot on if he doesn't come though.

A chestnut horse by Thorn Park maybe, ...just thinking aloud.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 1:20pm
Can't believe some were in before English.  She's been a stand out for a few seasons and even I know She Will Reign is unproven as of yet.  English is also a G1 winner and Fell Swoop isn't so some mad things going on and nice to see her looked in.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 1:28pm
I guess some of it might relate to the negotations on the share of any winnings Furious
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 2:02pm
I guess but they do want the best field possible and you don't have a hope of any winnings backing the wrong horse do you?
fisherman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 2:05pm
Isn't Houtzen also now locked in and thought Caravaggio was still to be confirmed. If you read the TAB release the owners of English also have business interest in PubTAB and part of the deal will be to involve a competition to invite 10 winners in to share as effectively part owners for a day. If you look at how horses are selected you need to look at who owns the slots and their respective business interests as well.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 3:30pm
If they don't get at least one top overseas horse it will be just the same as the TJ, apart from prizemoney and hopefully a dry track.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 3:41pm
Listening to a RNSW/ATC (???) spokesman in recent days it appears they're expecting at least 2 competitive OS horses Tlaz. Obviously one is Caravaggio. Passing mention of interest from Japan and USA.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 11:58pm
I think you are on to something fisherman.

Okay, English might deserve her slot, but the TAB are perpetuating the thought that some people had about this race when first suggested, and that is, that it is for the racing elite, or slots are given to friends or relatives or business partners.

I am extremely interested, and think it should be made mandatory, that not only the horses connections, but also the slot owners, should be announced alongside each entrant.

If the slot owners are all studs and tabs or bookmakers, then as far as I can see it is just a waste of time, because it may be the richest race on turf but, it will not gather the popularity of a Cox Plate or Melbourne Cup!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 10:38am
Seems obvious the race is for the elite. $1.2M for two years isn't pin money. The race might be a plaything for the wealthy but I doubt any of them will be happy to kiss $600K goodbye by selecting a horse with little chance. Don't see anything wrong in the buyer picking a horse which suits their business simply because that's the basis of the race. Who would invest without that control?  I suspect that having the option of picking a competitive OS horse is one of the prime reasons the ATC stumped up.

No need to get excited about it replacing the classics for popularity though I reckon. The timing is poor for 3 year olds, which will need to be outstanding to match the older horses despite the huge weight advantage.
cotto1 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 5:50pm
Hi guys
I to also thought Houtzen.Was locked in as a confirmed starter.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 7:24pm
Buy in is actually $1.8M for three years. 

Hadn't seen the full list of slot holders until now but this is from SMH 29/3:
Damion Flower, James Harron, Max Whitby, Greg Ingham , Yulong Investments, Aquis, Chris Waller Racing, Coolmore Stud, The Star, TAB, Inglis, ATC.

Aquis Farms               - Houtzen
ATC                           -  
Chris Waller Racing     -  
Coolmore                   - Caravaggio (TBC)
Damion Flower           -  
Greg Ingham              - Chautauqua
Inglis                         - Fell Swoop
James Harron             -  
Max Whitby                -  
Tabcorp                      - English
The Star                     -  
Yulong Investments     - She Will Rein
Vivarchi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivarchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 9:01pm
Boring concept - Boring circular touting - Boring race
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 9:30pm
Great concept and looking forward to the race
the miz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the miz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 12:27am
I cant wait either!!!
For it to be over. Boring boring boring.
the miz
v'landwick the king of spin
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 8:41am
I admit I'm interested as two horses I've been following from the sales have made the field.  I was afraid it would be a rich mans play field but that's because I didn't understand the concept.  She Will Reign and Houtzen are both neither owned by the big players or in the biggest stables so that proved me wrong to begin with.  If the best field of sprinters available line up I be satisfied that the concept can work but there are a few very good horses still trying to find a way in.  Will be interesting how long some of the slot owners hold out before choosing their representative.  It's almost a game of chicken - could backfire if the horse you have your eye on gets in with another slot before you tie them in.
fisherman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 9:35am
I find it funny the critics spend so much time commenting and reading about something they don't like. Everyone has likes and dislikes in racing and from country carnivals to the major city carnivals there's something for everyone and the fact ATC have tried something different and will build on it in coming years should be applauded. Personally I think Melbourne Cup day itself has become more about fashion, celebrities and Marquees and less about racing but the rest of the carnival from Cox Plate through to the Darley are the highlights but I'm happy to yawn through Cup day and enjoy the rest.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 8:22am
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Damion Flower, James Harron, Max Whitby, Greg Ingham , Yulong Investments, Aquis, Chris Waller Racing, Coolmore Stud, The Star, TAB, Inglis, ATC.

The Star                     - Hayes stable. Redkirk Warrior early preference
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 9:20am
Apologies if this question has been covered off already somewhere in the previous 14 pages of this thread.

What happens if you own an Everest slot, and the horse representing you has to be scratched from the final field (eg injury, unsuitable track conditions, etc) and that slot owner can't find or doesn't want to find a replacement runner or can't find a new buyer for the slot?

Does that slot owner simply get one-third of their buy in money back and accordingly the prizemoney pool for the race reduced?
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 9:49am

The Star                     - Hayes stable. Redkirk Warrior early preference

Interesting field but nothing stellar. Chaut is the only proven champion Aussie sprinter and he's a very risky proposition these days. If I was forced to have a bet I'd back Caravaggio.
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

Apologies if this question has been covered off already somewhere in the previous 14 pages of this thread.

What happens if you own an Everest slot, and the horse representing you has to be scratched from the final field (eg injury, unsuitable track conditions, etc) and that slot owner can't find or doesn't want to find a replacement runner or can't find a new buyer for the slot?

Does that slot owner simply get one-third of their buy in money back and accordingly the prizemoney pool for the race reduced?

No. It's a sunk cost.

They'll just find a new horse which most likely has no hope of winning.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 11:19am
I gather there will be reserves. How many, and how late a sub can be made (possibly scratching time?) are questions for others closer to the action to answer.
marscay View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marscay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by fisherman fisherman wrote:

I find it funny the critics spend so much time commenting and reading about something they don't like. Everyone has likes and dislikes in racing and from country carnivals to the major city carnivals there's something for everyone and the fact ATC have tried something different and will build on it in coming years should be applauded. Personally I think Melbourne Cup day itself has become more about fashion, celebrities and Marquees and less about racing but the rest of the carnival from Cox Plate through to the Darley are the highlights but I'm happy to yawn through Cup day and enjoy the rest.

You'll never please everyone fisherman especially on here.

If they can get Caravaggio and possibly 1 or 2 more Intls it will make for an interesting spectacle.....as much about the hype as the race itself.

Could you imagine if every half decent raceday had all the BS we put up with on Melbourne Cup day, the horror!!!
fisherman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 12:52pm

I gather there will be reserves. How many, and how late a sub can be made (possibly scratching time?) are questions for others closer to the action to answer.

There was some talk early on about emergencies and scratchings but to my knowledge they were still to decide how they would be dealt with.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 6:42pm
Just on reserves.

The ATC have kept the Lightning on this day, and they are calling it a consolation, This means that if they get say 15 runners for the Lightning, maybe the top three raters from the Lightning will be reserves for the Everest and take the spots of any scratchings.

Still not sure how that would work!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 12:44pm
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 1:12pm

Brando stars as Caravaggio flops at Deauville

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/136336/Brando-stars-as-Caravaggio-flops-at-Deauville

I would not be surprised if Caravaggio came out here for The Everest without another run.

Aiden O'Brien suspects he has not given Caravaggio enough time to recover from his Royal Ascot effort.

reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 29>