Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Everest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 29>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Hoffy95 Hoffy95 wrote:

Originally posted by TheCat TheCat wrote:

Can't see SWR placing in this. If Redzel crosses Houtzen (as expected) best case she's 3 pairs back the fence. If she misses the kick where does this leave her? She'll be needing a lot of luck when straightening and regardless I don't think she's good enough to get past some of those who'll be in front of her in the run. LAY...

She certainly won't want to get caught at the back having to out-sprint Chautauqua. 

Watch the golden slipper, her final 1000, she was just skipping along the fence beautifully, she has a very fast cruising speed, just skips along, beautiful action, and has the tank to keep going.
I wont even be worried if she is 5 lengths back along the fence at the 600, because she will start skipping through them all and go BANG, at 51kg. Thanks very much.
wayyyyyy over the odds, especially the place at $2.40

i want to add,  she beat a damn good slipper field, and our racing is geared at a mass of two year old sprinters, so when you rise up above them and win a slipper like the way she did, it means something.
this was also backed up by how she won at the valley from near last, going wide, and still caught them over the 1000m.
she is very very good.
Breeding Above All View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeding Above All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 6:23pm
3 year old filly against the boys.. I will take a couple of the boys who broke track records and take Redkirk if it's dry..
Breeding Above All View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeding Above All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 6:27pm
Let me also clarify speedy quality boys.. not the B graders
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 7:50pm
The most exciting race on the calendar now - looking forward to this.

cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:23pm
the media and promotion for this race has been wall to wall bombardment.

it doesnt change what it is though....an overpaid oz sprinting race with oz runners. remains to be seen what happens in the future.
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

it doesnt change what it is though....an overpaid oz sprinting race with oz runners. remains to be seen what happens in the future.

Much better investment than having 2nd grade foreigners taking out our staying pizemoney.

I think a hurdler ran 2nd in the Cup last year?
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:46pm
The ratings dudes, big punters and bookies are all over Vega Magic. I will be amazed if it wins but I will be suitably humble if it does.Embarrassed
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Sir Gov Sir Gov wrote:

Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

Much better investment than having 2nd grade foreigners taking out our staying pizemoney.

I think a hurdler ran 2nd in the Cup last year?

Who do you suggest takes our staying prizemoney?Confused
Nick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 10:18pm
Can't see any other winner than Vega or the crack sprinting filly SWR.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

Can't see any other winner than Vega or the crack sprinting filly SWR.

Shows how open it is.   People are tipping most of the field.

Your selections are chasing some very smart sprinters.

A top race , has really attracted the interest over the Melbourne day.
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 10:39pm
Let's just say I'm overseas and the only race that will be having an alarm set to watch is the Everest.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Speediskey Speediskey wrote:

Let's just say I'm overseas and the only race that will be having an alarm set to watch is the Everest.

Seriously? What interests you?
WarriSymbol View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarriSymbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

Originally posted by Hoffy95 Hoffy95 wrote:

Originally posted by TheCat TheCat wrote:

Can't see SWR placing in this. If Redzel crosses Houtzen (as expected) best case she's 3 pairs back the fence. If she misses the kick where does this leave her? She'll be needing a lot of luck when straightening and regardless I don't think she's good enough to get past some of those who'll be in front of her in the run. LAY...

She certainly won't want to get caught at the back having to out-sprint Chautauqua. 

Watch the golden slipper, her final 1000, she was just skipping along the fence beautifully, she has a very fast cruising speed, just skips along, beautiful action, and has the tank to keep going.
I wont even be worried if she is 5 lengths back along the fence at the 600, because she will start skipping through them all and go BANG, at 51kg. Thanks very much.
wayyyyyy over the odds, especially the place at $2.40

i want to add,  she beat a damn good slipper field, and our racing is geared at a mass of two year old sprinters, so when you rise up above them and win a slipper like the way she did, it means something.
this was also backed up by how she won at the valley from near last, going wide, and still caught them over the 1000m.
she is very very good.
I find it hard enough to be enthused by a the form of a narrow victory over 1000m at MV where on the same night a non winner like Rock N Gold also made up a stack of ground out wide in the 955m race.
Let alone when looking at this race, being excited by form from a 2yo race on a bog track six months ago.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by stayer stayer wrote:

Probably because it's the best sprint field we've assembled in quite a while. Any bitterness about the concept should not diminish from that aspect.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 12:10am
An even race, the "ready" horse is the one to be on. I'm gunna look at the parade on TV for a lead into that. The females will figure, imo.
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 12:28am

The fact the best sprinters of every age group have all been aimed at one race at a trip Australia dominates the world at? Far more interesting than watching one or two G1 level horses competing in one of the countless 1600m 3yo Group 1 races.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

Probably because it's the best sprint field we've assembled in quite a while. Any bitterness about the concept should not diminish from that aspect.

What??!!!??
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 10:23am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

What??!!!??

Which recent field was better?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 10:41am
Well I can think of plenty of six furlong races in recent years where Vega Magic wouldn’t start favourite, that’s for sure. This looks a pretty standard field of local sprinters in what seems a below average period for Australian sprinting.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 10:58am
Well JH the big Grey is the reigning world champion sprinter.  We finally have a Slipper winner with a WFA G1 under her name as a three year old - first up also.  We have a horse which has broken track records last two runs.  We have the last MM winner.  We have the first three home in the last two WFA T  J Smith over this distance on this course and that is the best Sprint race in Australia.  And plenty more horses with great records.  Six of the field won their last start and that doesn't include one of the favourites.  So for some reason you don't like sprinters or you don't like the fact that this race is on the calendar.  People I know who have no interest in racing including the Melbourne Cup have asked what will win this race.  I didn't believe in the concept to begin with and it will cause issues with the Sires List but I've come round as the field went deep and the slot holders all used good reasons for picking their horse.  They didn't just pick one in their stable etc.
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 11:04am

Well I can think of plenty of six furlong races in recent years where Vega Magic wouldn’t start favourite, that’s for sure. This looks a pretty standard field of local sprinters in what seems a below average period for Australian sprinting.

Clearly taking the pxss. Ha ha
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 11:08am

What??!!!??

Which recent field was better?

It's noted that judge couldn't answer your question
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 11:11am

Recent years maybe. Most of us prefer to watch more than one race every 12+ months. If this wasn't a hyped up event and just a normal Spring G1 sprint everyone would be gushing at its quality and calling it the best race of the carnival. Instead the animosity over the concept is distorting opinions of it as a race in isolation.
Racing Carrot View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racing Carrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 11:20am
Looking at the fields before the race I don't know that you'd say it was clearly better than the TJ in April, probably fairly even.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 11:30am
TJ field was comparable. First 3 home there are all engaged here. I don't recall anybody questioning why people would watch the TJ at the time.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Sir Gov Sir Gov wrote:

Clearly taking the pxss. Ha ha

Not at all. Chautauqua clearly the the best credentialed horse in the field and he appears (and the market would suggest) past his best. There are some horses with upside and maybe the race will look stronger in hindsight but there’s a chance it could look weaker. If they come through it you’d expect the best of these to line up again in the Darley.

They wanted international stars. They got Brave Smash.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 11:48am
It might look like a demolition derby at some stage, no prisoners will be taken in the quest for the big bucks ! The upcoming Melbourne carnival likely some deterrent to that.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 11:58am
Brave Smash to demolish his rivals with a 4.3 length winning margin
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 12:08pm
whats the connection with j.spencer and brave smash?
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 12:32pm
The continued desperate clutching at an international flavour to justify millions in promotion, let alone prize money.
Sunline...simply supreme
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 29>