Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Everest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 29>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

People getting their knickers twisted about this race being a rich person's play thing should head out to the Inglis sales next week.  Watch them spend $millions on a "cracking type with a great walk" and no idea whether it can beat its own shadow in a race.

Well said - going to be the best race in AUS within a few years.

Sydney the No 1 racing state!
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Sir Gov Sir Gov wrote:

People getting their knickers twisted about this race being a rich person's play thing should head out to the Inglis sales next week.  Watch them spend $millions on a "cracking type with a great walk" and no idea whether it can beat its own shadow in a race.

NSW!!!
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 9:30am

NSW!!!

Yes I agree it will be a great race
But nsw has a long way to go to catch up to the best state of all SA
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 10:34am
Is this race going to feature better horses than the tj?

I'm ambivalent about the race, but a little sceptical.
Is the QE11 a much greater standard after the massive increase, or is the field no different to what it would have been without the increase in prizemoney?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 11:28am
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Is the QE11 a much greater standard after the massive increase, or is the field no different to what it would have been without the increase in prizemoney?

You could ask that about the big 3 in Melbourne.

reductio ad absurdum
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 11:30am
You could ask that about any race. More prize money does not mean better horses magically appear out of thin air.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 11:38am
It does mean more investment in racing with alot of the excited owners reinvesting in horses.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 11:42am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

You could ask that about the big 3 in Melbourne.

Which of the big 3 is an exact duplication of an existing race in the same carnival?
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 12:13pm
Which race does the Everest duplicate Rusty? 

There is no G1 sprint race over 1200m at any venue from May (Goodwood) to October (Manikato), a fortnight after the Everest.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 12:36pm
I think they are thinking of the TJ 3blindmice but they forget we have the Doncaster in the Autumn and the Epsom in the spring etc and no 1200m main sprint in the Spring so they placed it well.  I'm for it if it gets the best around - didn't understand the big money making deals witht he smaller player - as it costs the industry nothing and once again we get to see the best going around racing each other.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 1:02pm
Ah, okay. It may be a plaything for the rich but The Everest fills a programming hole to some extent (chance for the baby 3yos to test their mettle) and gives Sydney spring racing some impetus. We have more than enough G1 sprints as it is so unless they can get a large OS contingent it will have a certain deja vu aura about it. 

I'm not agin it as a promotional tool, just not taken by the concept or the possibility that it may be elevated above our REAL, historical, sprints on the basis of filthy rich lucre - I mean prizemoney - alone.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 1:20pm
I can't see it being elevated unless for six or seven years straight it brings together the best sprinters available.  Then it would probably be hard to keep it out of the black type process.
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

I can't see it being elevated unless for six or seven years straight it brings together the best sprinters available.  Then it would probably be hard to keep it out of the black type process.

Can it have black type status if it is just a buy in race?
Balciano View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balciano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 5:52pm
Programming wise it fits in pretty well with the Spring Group 1's - a fortnight after the Moir, then a further fortnight to the Manikato Stakes.

So it would only really impact on the Schilachi/The Shorts if anything.

Being on Spring Champion Stakes Day and more importantly after the NRL is finished you'd think they'd draw a decent crowd as well..
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 5:59pm
That's why I said won't be unless the field has all the best sprinters for around six to seven years.  It's not limited to sale buys.  And it seems the place holders are already shopping around for the interesting ones on the horizon.  In future years they may learn to wait till the last moment but then you can have someone else step in and get the horse your've had your eye on - so maybe not.

Shouldn't have black type for a while as it has to prove itself.
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 6:37pm

That's why I said won't be unless the field has all the best sprinters for around six to seven years.  It's not limited to sale buys.  And it seems the place holders are already shopping around for the interesting ones on the horizon.  In future years they may learn to wait till the last moment but then you can have someone else step in and get the horse your've had your eye on - so maybe not.

It could get G2 status instantly by replacing the Premiere Stakes.  

Same tactic they used for the Pegasus - however they took over a race with G1 status.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 7:35pm
No.  The Golden Rose replaced the Peter Pan but had to wait to get black type.
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 8:02pm

Doesn't answer my question. Can it be a black type race if its just a buy in and not open to everyone on merit?
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Can it have black type status if it is just a buy in race?  

Well ask the Stud Book.  Or Racing Australia.  Or John Messara or his latest clones all of which is much the same thing.

However to my mind it'd be rather like elevating the MM 2yo to Group status.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 9:22pm

Doesn't answer my question. Can it be a black type race if its just a buy in and not open to everyone on merit?

Was thinking about that earlier. Only restrictions on Listed and Group races are no maidens and pay the fees? 

It's not much different from the restricted sales races which carry no status do they?  In this case the fees have to be negotiated with the slot-holder and that's where it gets murky.
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 10:08pm
Just read Bryce Stanaway took the last slot
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 5:21pm
Plan is for 2018 for it to be on the Friday night under candle light at Randwick
Fairest One View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairest One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Was thinking about that earlier. Only restrictions on Listed and Group races are no maidens and pay the fees? 

It's not much different from the restricted sales races which carry no status do they?  In this case the fees have to be negotiated with the slot-holder and that's where it gets murky.

I would've thought it could only receive Restricted Listed Status just like the sales races.
Cmon Apparitions!!!
marscay View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marscay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 3:06pm
Lankan Rupee back in work as a potential Everest runner according to reports.

I thought he was retired?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 5:21pm
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 5:28pm
Lankan Rupee for the Everest ?   Spare me
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
fisherman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 11:41pm
Anyone else find it strange that the ATC would buy a slot for it's own race.
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 12:21am
Originally posted by fisherman fisherman wrote:

Anyone else find it strange that the ATC would buy a slot for it's own race.

No - it will be used for marketing.

Thoughts is that it may be used for most popular addition from the public.  For example, the ATC may come up with a shortlist of 5 horses & ask for the public to vote.

The other idea is to use it as an invitation for an offshore runner to promote the race globally............Carvaggio...just saying!
Balciano View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balciano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 11:52pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 12:44am
Fisherman will be chuffed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inglis name their The Everest representative

Clinton Payne - 22 Jun 2017

Auction house William Inglis has named the horse that will take their slot in the $10 million The Everest (1200m) at Randwick on October 14.

Connections of Canberra galloper Fell Swoop have come to an agreement with Inglis to represent their slot in the inaugural weight-for-age sprint.

"We opened up expressions of interest for the Inglis slot back in March and received significant feedback from prospective owners, so this certainly wasn't an easy decision,'' Inglis Managing Director Mark Webster said.

"In Fell Swoop we believe we have a genuine winning chance trained by one of Australia's best young trainers in Matt Dale and a horse who is proven as a legitimate Group I performer.

"To have finished in the minor placings in the last two editions of the Group I TJ Smith Stakes at Randwick behind Chautauqua – as well as a further three Group I placings throughout his career to date – Fell Swoop is undoubtedly one of the best credentialed runners in the race."

Trained by Matt Dale, Fell Swoop has won nine of his 23 starts for more than $1.6million in prizemoney.

"It's a very exciting concept and it's unbelievable to be a part of it in year one with a horse like Fell Swoop,'' Dale said.

"We're privileged to join forces with Inglis to secure an Everest slot in the inaugural running of the race.

"The horse spelled really well in Queensland and has now entered pre-training at Aquagait.

"He'll come back into the stables in a couple of weeks and then it's all systems go toward the Everest.''

Fell Swoop was a $45,000 Inglis Classic Yearling Sale purchase for Dale and will race in The Everest carrying the famous Inglis family colours - dark blue and pale blue diamonds with a red cap.

Fell Swoop joins Chautauqua, She Will Reign and Houtzen as confirmed runners in The Everest.

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/135190/Inglis-name-their-The-Everest-representative

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 29>