Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Everest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stainvita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by antlowes antlowes wrote:

How deep does the race pay? Money back +++ for the first 6? 8?

As an example the pegasus run on the weekend was 250k each runner 4th to 12th
If your hands aren't shaking you haven't put enough on.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Phazeal Phazeal wrote:

This is the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard.  Almost no one in racing can afford to front with $600k+ no matter how good their sprinter is. It's another w@nk that would cost our racing industry millions per year for no purpose if it ever got off the ground. God there are some idiots running this industry in NSW.  I doubt this will ever get off the ground. It's that stupid.  

Absolutely correct there Phaz.  The only saving grace is that the the number of idiots running NSW (and in effect Australia) has reduced somewhat over recent times.  Even the ordinary Vic racing authorities wouldn't come up with such a cr@p concept.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 4:55pm
$175 for 5th down, so unless you run 3rd or better you do your dough 

imagine if the regular Randwick big day weather turns up for this Shocked
to the victor
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 4:57pm
any plans for that they'll do with the interest that accrues on $21.6M they hope to get in their kitty?
to the victor
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 4:57pm
Look NSW have done plenty of good in recent years.  Not the least the country championships and TAB Handicaps races.  Has put a bounce in the country racing steps that has been missing for years but I fail to see this as a bonus.

Rethink the format before it's run.  Don't just follow something that didn't work.  SC and above are right.  We won't get the field they want and boy will that screw with the Sires' Standings.  At the moment Winx - being a middle distance horse is winning the championship for her sire.  Yes a bit more money in the sprints wouldn't go amiss but for that money you want the best field even if they are black sheep bought for $10,000.  If they are G1 winners they deserve to be there.  Somehow this seems a backward step away from alot of the good they have been up to.
Fairest One View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairest One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 4:58pm

This is the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard.

Almost no one in racing can afford to front with $600k+ no matter how good their sprinter is. It's another w@nk that would cost our racing industry millions per year for no purpose if it ever got off the ground. God there are some idiots running this industry in NSW.

It would have given Black Caviar an extra $20million in prizemoney against one or two starters stupid enough to come to Australia and blow $600k. It would also probably have extended her racing career by three years so she could take an extra $15million from those fools at RacingNSW but guaranteed she'd only have had one start per year. Maybe a barrier trial in the Manikato.

It's not just Black Caviar. In the majority of seasons we have a DOMINANT sprinter who doesn't really get beaten. And almost nobody is going to come from overseas when the trip alone costs them $700k. And half the horses the seasonal champion beats have only won maybe $200k and owners don't have the extra sitting around in a jar (except a couple for whom money carries less relevance than it does to the noobs at RacingNSW).

Even Godolphin wouldn't be stupid enough to buy a slot in this with a 3-year buy-in. Sure, says JOS, we got the favourite for this year's race. Oops, he got beat. Oh and we have to find someone to buy our slot for next year and the year after 'cause I got nothing coming through the stable to warrant that investment".

I doubt this will ever get off the ground. It's that stupid.

I've been one of the most vocal critics of it on twitter today but to be fair to them the race, is self-funded largely by the sale of the slots. 

They should have a market on who will buy the slots. I have no doubt that Godolphin will put their hand up and probably have already been canvassed about it. 
Cmon Apparitions!!!
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:01pm
They could slot in Exceed and Excels, Street Crys could try a Sepoy and Helmet - might get them further up the Sire Standings.  The winner would go to the lead for at least 1/2 the season unless numbers of other winners are very small.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:09pm
If people can affor 600,000 for a yearling they can afford 600,000 or 1.8m over 3 years for this concept and the gamble is nowhere near as big.
reductio ad absurdum
Phazeal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phazeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Fairest One Fairest One wrote:

I've been one of the most vocal critics of it on twitter today but to be fair to them the race, is self-funded largely by the sale of the slots. 

The race is completely UNFUNDED, except by the industry. On the planet RacingNSW are on they would get $7.2million back in buy-ins, costing them $2.8million every year. Show me $2.8million of value to the racing industry in this futile exercise. But on Earth virtually nobody in the country would buy in. Now, show me $7million worth of value to our industry.

Who wants to lay down a wager now, in 2017, on ANYTHING in 2020 at odds of less than 8/1 with a minimum bet of $600,000?

It would be a walkover for the best sprinter in the country with complete HACKS filling the remainder as those handful of fools keen enough to spend $1.8million and don't have anyone good enough to run in it do their best to scrounge $50-$200k each year selling off their spots to people who think they might be able to run second or third. Ball of Muscle, Kuro, etc. Wow what a spectacle.

Phazeal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phazeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

If people can affor 600,000 for a yearling they can afford 600,000 or 1.8m over 3 years for this concept and the gamble is nowhere near as big.

The upper ceiling for the return on a yearling purchase is somewhere around $500million. Also, you know what you're putting your money on when you buy a yearling, regardless of how it fares. Buying a slot for three years in a race when almost no owner consistently has a runner worthy of being in the field smacks of the dirtiest kind of stupidity.

subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:22pm
Struggling to understand the rationale behind the 3 year slot purchase. Is it the only way to save the race from being a one year wonder?
Phazeal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phazeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Look NSW have done plenty of good in recent years.  Not the least the country championships and TAB Handicaps races.  

Don't get me started on the TAB Highway races. Only Racing NSW could take such a wonderful concept and botch it so badly.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:26pm
Well they might not be perfect but how did they botch it.

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:40pm
Winx. hahahahahahaha. F me. Corporates after a bit of that 'dumb money'

StormSiren View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:46pm
I hope some businesses look at this as a marketing opportunity, because we could end up with an interesting field.

The studs are a given - daresay Darley, Coolmore, Newgate and Arrowfield would already be in on it.

I think something that could make it interesting would be Inglis/Magic Millions buying a stake - offer it to one of their star graduates each year that wouldn't otherwise make it. Powers that be could approach Keeneland/Tattersalls/Arqana/JBBA about it as well.

Wouldn't be a bad marketing tool for a couple of the major trainers either - Waller, Waterhouse, etc. 
Lost in the magical world of racing. Storm Siren, Sirens Star, Elpis & Wait For It.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:47pm

Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

The upper ceiling for the return on a yearling purchase is somewhere around $500million. Also, you know what you're putting your money on when you buy a yearling, regardless of how it fares. Buying a slot for three years in a race when almost no owner consistently has a runner worthy of being in the field smacks of the dirtiest kind of stupidity.

I dont like the 3 year concept but there must be good reasons for it (outside of locking them in).

but i like mot other aspects. 

If you have a fit quality sprinter - why would you buy another $300k yearling (I say as money grows on trees) when you could have a crack at this.
Sheera View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

What it might do, since it's a 3 year buy in, is extend the racing careers of some young stallion prospects who would otherwise be retired at 4 ...

Unfortunately if it's like the US version, they can use the slot they buy to enter ANY horse. So just because they buy a 3 year slot for one horse they could actually enter 3 different horses each year. 

As with one guy in the US, he tried to use the slot he bought to buy an up & comer off other owners. It fell through so he had to enter his own donkey LOL
GO SHIRA
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 6:03pm
I find it hard to think of a horse who will run. 3 years investment - that's all the colts out unless you start paying the day they're born.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by StormSiren StormSiren wrote:

I hope some businesses look at this as a marketing opportunity, because we could end up with an interesting field.

The studs are a given - daresay Darley, Coolmore, Newgate and Arrowfield would already be in on it.

I think something that could make it interesting would be Inglis/Magic Millions buying a stake - offer it to one of their star graduates each year that wouldn't otherwise make it. Powers that be could approach Keeneland/Tattersalls/Arqana/JBBA about it as well.

Wouldn't be a bad marketing tool for a couple of the major trainers either - Waller, Waterhouse, etc. 

So a trainer is going to stump up $1.8mil for marketing purposes? Or turn to their dopiest owner perhaps.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Originally posted by StormSiren StormSiren wrote:

So a trainer is going to stump up $1.8mil for marketing purposes? Or turn to their dopiest owner perhaps.

I wonder which trainers...........
Campaspe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Campaspe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 6:17pm
The only solo Aussie owner (not a big stud or international set up like China Horse Club) who I can think of that wouldn't blink at putting up that sort of money to reserve a spot in a race is Lloyd Williams. And he doesn't have sprinters.
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 7:00pm
Will the race be a G1? Seeing as it is a buy in would you assume that it would not be granted that status?
Flight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Will the race be a G1? Seeing as it is a buy in would you assume that it would not be granted that status?

Last time I looked, a race has to earn G1 status. Big smile

Money cannot buy them.  No matter how hard they try.

Bit like trying to buy respect. 

“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 7:31pm
Can anyone buy a horse and race it to win this race...NO

fail.

Dear ATC stop being silly.

Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:04pm
Interesting initiative. I hope it's successful.
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:10pm
I like the suggestion earlier, the rooty hill

Its a little beauty
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Nocturnal Nocturnal wrote:

This seems a scheme hatched by the rich .

Couldn't agree more, Noccy.

This stinks of elitist self-service. Slowly but surely, the elite will chip away and eventually exclude the average punter who has a share in a horse and work towards an industry more like the US and UK, where it's simply the wealthy winning each other's money, and breeders financing events to create their own stallions and broodmares.
Sunline...simply supreme
Mug-Punter View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mug-Punter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:54pm
To me the 3 yr commitment is ridiculous! I understand the concept but by yr 3 I can see it being no better than a listed quality race. I hope I'm wrong! Something better than nothing!
The Mugg
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:24pm
Great idea

Should have made it a 50 million dollar race day and throw more money down the drain
EAD
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

The Everest will have fallen by 2020. These gimmicks simply do not last.

LOL  Thats what they said about The Golden Slipper when it was first proposed .
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>