Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Humidor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Are you sure Khan he was talking about Humidor, and not Amelie's Star?

That is the second week in a row where Craig Williams has ridden a horse in a feature race and did the wrong thing from the barrier. I understand getting Amelie's Star forward, but he must of got a extra fee for getting to the post first, first time around.

If I am an owner of a horse in a big race, right now, I am banning Williams from riding my horse.

Furious about both rides according to media reports
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 8:14pm
And with good reason.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 9:18pm
And you see, this is why bias is not a good thing for betting confidence.

Because of that inside fence bias, Williams rode the mare so fast early, that when he asked her for her finishing effort there was nothing there.

That is why even if you watch races earlier in the day, you still need to be able to know how the race will be run later on the card.

I can not think of one speed map, which I saw for the Everest which had Vega Magic off the speed, and I can not remember any speed map having Amelie's Star ridden out of the gates, and sitting second and third for the whole race. If Williams had eased, sat one of the fence, and waited to move until the turn and she had dropped out fair enough.

The ride and decision making out of the gates, during the race and just before the turn, gave her no hope.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 9:19pm
Sorry, I know that this should be in the Amelie's Star thread , so that is my last post in this thread about Williams's ride!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 9:42pm
Wonder why DKW doesn't use a one eyed blinker on this horse like DAH does regularly ?
He might have had one on before ?
Boom Time had him covered easily on Sat , hanging or not.

Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 9:44pm
Weir uses those God awful big ring lugging bits too.
They have a flat mouthpiece and are nothing more than a glorified anti-rearing bit.
All the blurb on them was to stop things getting their tongues over/back when the marketing kicked in , and yet every second horse who wears one wears a tongue tie.
Chuck the bit to the gelatihouse for a start.
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

If you are an owner of a horse you would not have it in the Weir factory.

Are you allergic to winning?
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

If you are an owner of a horse you would not have it in the Weir factory.

Are you allergic to winning?

My thoughts too.LOL
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 8:49pm

Weir critical of Lane and Williams' rides in Caulfield Cup

By James Lamb Yesterday at 10:04am
Darren Weir wasn't happy after the Caulfield Cup Image: Getty
Darren Weir saddled up four winners at Caulfield on Saturday but things didn't exactly go to plan in the feature race and he was far from pleased with riders Damian Lane and Craig Williams.

Lane, who piloted Humidor, and Williams on Amelie's Star, both came under criticism on RSN's Racing Pulse show on Monday morning, with Weir saying neither rode to instructions.

"I wasn't happy with the rides, wasn't happy with the first part of the race with either horses, or either jockeys," Weir told Michael Felgate. 

"They (Humidor and Amelie's Star) weren't trained to be ridden that way and things just didn't go ideally from there."

Amelie's Star, usually a backmarker, was ridden aggressively from barrier 13, charging across to lead in the early stages of the 2400m race. 

Williams then handed up to Sir Isaac Newton who commenced to overrace badly, with Amelie's Star rolling on a fast pace in third. 

When asked if Williams was instructed to go forward on the mare, Weir gave a blunt response of "not really."

"Craig dug his out from the barrier and made her go forward which was a surprise to me."

Amelie's Star, a $9.50 chance, straightened for home in second but was a spent force at the 150m and faded out to finish 11th, beaten 5.3L.

Post-race, Williams was complimentary of his mount's performance.

"I was really proud of her performance. She had a really sticky barrier draw and we wanted to offset that and have her in a really forward position," Williams said.

"She was able to do that. She was amazing but she had to use petrol to get there. It was a gallant effort in the circumstances."

Weir was similarly disappointed with Lane's ride on Humidor ($6.50), saying he was shocked to see the former New Zealand galloper so close in the run.

"Damian said the crowd got Humidor going a bit halfway down the straight but I don't know about that. He had his chance to slot in I thought and elected not to and was then more forward than I anticipated," Weir said. 

Humidor travelled in the first four before joining the leaders at the 300m.

As he did in the Turnbull Stakes (2000m), Humidor wanted to lay in under pressure and proved a handful for Lane over the final furlong.

The five-year-old gelding battled on gamely to finish fifth, 2.6L off shock winner Boom Time.

"He ran well. I settled a lot closer than I anticipated and he got fired up going past the winning post the first time. When I went for him, he hung like a rusty gate and cost himself the race," Lane said shortly after the race.

Weir told Felgate that both runners pulled up well but he hasn't a clear idea of where we'll see them next, saying that the team will monitor their progress over the next few days.

The Weir-trained Kiwia (R5) was the only winner all day to come from the second-half of the field, with the track heavily favouring on-pace runners.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Sorry, I know that this should be in the Amelie's Star thread , so that is my last post in this thread about Williams's ride!

Humidor thread actually, but your analysis of the Williams ride is spot on . They can't make 4 runs in a race and expect to finish it off.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 11:49pm
Darren Weir is kidding if he thinks that we think he trains them for anything but hope.

reductio ad absurdum
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 12:02am
Que Mitta Fawlty ?
deejays destiny View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 6:03pm
Oh my god
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 6:07pm
Hmmm, I wonder if connections will run him in the Melb Cup or wait for the Mackinnon Stakes.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 6:08pm
Super run. Never a hope of running past a champ.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 6:11pm
Marvelous run.  Raced in a lot more tractable fashion for the in-form Shinn today.
deejays destiny View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 6:13pm
Agreed Riding change and gear a big help
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

Hmmm, I wonder if connections will run him in the Melb Cup or wait for the Mackinnon Stakes.

If they are fair dinkum that is where they would go.

Melbourne Cup makes otherwise sane people do stupid things.

reductio ad absurdum
James0330 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James0330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 7:02pm
Now around equal fav for the Cup...can't see it running 3200m...barely runs 2400m...all best performances over 2000m. People were doubting it running a strong 2400m before the CC.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 7:13pm
Don't know if he'll get 3200m, however on breeding he should eat the journey and ran a pretty strong 2400m on a bog track in the BMW last Autumn.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Super run. Never a hope of running past a champ.

Don't tell me you didn't have a moment of doubt, halfway down the straight.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 7:28pm
Okay I won't tell you Max. She was in far more trouble in her two Sydney runs, the second of which I seriously thought she had no hope of winning half way up the straight. 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 7:32pm
I am a little disappointed he is going to the Cup but he will be far and away the classiest horse in the race and that carries them a hell of a long way.

He is currently 6/1 with Ladbrokes, way too short for my liking.

reductio ad absurdum
Lexawin View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexawin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 7:38pm
Geez what a super performance by Lier.... maybe he can train after all... which some of you will hate to admit.!!!
Lexawin View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexawin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 7:38pm
Weir... sorry for the typo typo police.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Lexawin Lexawin wrote:

Geez what a super performance by Lier.... maybe he can train after all... which some of you will hate to admit.!!!

He is obviously in the best 5 or 6 trainers in Australia. 
reductio ad absurdum
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 8:23pm
Who is above him

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 8:26pm
Probably half his foreman.

reductio ad absurdum
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 8:31pm

Probably half his foreman.

now your throwing darts LOL
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 8:37pm
LOL
reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>