Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Care To Think

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 12:45pm
And yet his last prep in Queensland he went 1200 - 1350 - 1400 with two weeks between each, and the last one was his biggest/best win of his career? 

But don't get that get in the way of the fact a son of So You Think is running at less than 2000m first up.
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

Targeting stallion making short course races is not working.

Stallion making?   

Stradbroke is the goal anyway. Better suited in handicap conditions.

He will run again in a fortnight wont he over 1300m ?

He will be too dour for 1400m even with 39kgs on his back.

1350m at WFA again. The 1350m handicap after that. 13 starts for 6 wins and 4 2nds 1200-1400 doesn’t come across as dour to me.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 5:07pm
He will be. As he rises in grade he will be looking for further.

His he a certainty to gain a run in the Stradbroke ?
reductio ad absurdum
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 5:50pm

He will be. As he rises in grade he will be looking for further.

His he a certainty to gain a run in the Stradbroke ?

Rating 105 he should make it comfortably.

Maybe as he gets more dour they can look at the stallion making mile races.   
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 6:01pm
I guess he the typical Aussie trainer, anything of quality beyond a mile is beyond his training ability.
reductio ad absurdum
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 6:08pm
Yeah, really not sure what you’re going on about so will opt out of the discussion now.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 8:21pm
The horse clearly has class which to most trainers it seems transfers to short course speed.

I dare say Care To Think is the fastest horse in this blokes stable and so he assumes he has a sprinter.

His speed is being wasted in short course racing.

#IMNSHO

reductio ad absurdum
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 9:41pm
Might see him extended out further next time in. He was meant to go to the Doncaster last month but did too many things wrong in the Liverpool City Cup at G3 and Dunn decided that he wasn't mature enough for a G1 over a mile at this stage, and freshened him for the 1400m as his goal this time in. He is pretty strong willed and can be difficult to handle. All going well he settles down learns to come back onto the bit chasing better class sprinters, and will be lookiing at a mile or further in Spring or later on.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 2:44pm
James McDonald booked to ride in the BTC Cup
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 11:03pm
Trainer Matt Dunn is relieved comeback jockey James McDonald is clear to ride Care to Think in the Group I Kingsford Smith Cup at Doomben next Saturday.

McDonald resumed after an 18-month disqualification for a betting offence with a double at Warwick Farm races on Wednesday but was suspended for four days at Kembla Grange on Thursday.

Dunn booked McDonald to ride Care to Think in the Kingsford Smith to replace Jeff Lloyd.

McDonald, who rode another two winners at Rosehill on Saturday, will not begin his suspension until Sunday week and will be eligible to ride at the Sunshine Coast meeting on June 2 if required.

“I booked James with the intention of him testing Care to Think as a Stradbroke Handicap mount,” Dunn said. “I don’t know what weight Care to Think will get in the Stradbroke. It is weight-for-age in the Kingsford Smith. But if Care to Think wins the Kingsford Smith Cup he will probably get 55kg in the Stradbroke, which will suit James.”

Care to Think is among the leading chances for both the Kingsford Smith and Stradbroke Handicap on June 9 after an eye-catching sixth in the Group I Doomben 10,0000 at his last start.

The gelding came from near last after drawing a wide barrier, but finished close-up in a great Stradbroke trial.

“He just needs a good barrier for a change on Saturday,” Dunn said.

Care to Think will be McDonald’s first Group 1 since Holler finished unplaced in the 2016 Darley Classic during the Melbourne spring carnival.

• Group I-winning jockey Jordan Childs will spend a month on the sidelines after failing a breathalyser test at the Bendigo races.

All jockeys riding at the meeting on Sunday were tested with Childs stood down when his reading was above the allowable .02.

A second test confirmed the high reading and Childs, who won the Blue Diamond Stakes on Written By in February, was later suspended for one month. The 22-year-old took full responsibility and posted an apology on Twitter.

“Today at Bendigo I returned an alcohol above the illegal limit,” Childs said. “I have been suspended for 1 month. It was a clear mistake on my behalf. No excuses. No appeal.”

AAP

reductio ad absurdum
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 11:47pm
“I booked James with the intention of him testing Care to Think as a Stradbroke Handicap mount,” Dunn said. “I don’t know what weight Care to Think will get in the Stradbroke. It is weight-for-age in the Kingsford Smith. But if Care to Think wins the Kingsford Smith Cup he will probably get 55kg in the Stradbroke, which will suit James.”

Seems to suggest a level of confidence for Saturday for the Doomben 10,000 - sorry KS Cup???
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 11:59pm
He might be confident and he was given a quiet ride last time so he may still be fresh but 1300m and 1400m are going to be too short for this guy at this level.

reductio ad absurdum
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 12:59am
Couldn't agree more djebel - races like a mile + would suit - plenty of stamina on the dam side ...
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Couldn't agree more djebel - races like a mile + would suit - plenty of stamina on the dam side ...

The Dam isn't running Doc ...    He is a risky conveyance at this time.

Difficult to ride & pulled up after the 10000 making abnormal Respiration noises. ( S. Report )

Probably better on a bigger track than Doomben too.   
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 11:57am
Interesting snippet Macca, thanks.

Doomben holds no fears whatsoever for Care To Think but I thought the two favs had a little bit on him at WFA at this stage. Stradbroke Hcp will be perfect
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 3:22pm
When you watch the replay of Care To Think in the Doomben 10,000 what can you notice about the ride of Jeff Lloyd and what does it tell us ?

Have a look at Lloyds normal riding style.

reductio ad absurdum
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 3:53pm
Went to the line untouched, is that what you're alluding to djebel?

Was that due to the "abnormal respiration noises" I wonder?

I like backing them next start whenever they have pulled up with an abnormal anything!

I am conflicted though, agree with your analysis that needs more ground in this grade ...

In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 3:58pm
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 6:08pm
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 6:10pm

I like backing them next start whenever they have pulled up with an abnormal anything!

I am conflicted though, agree with your analysis that needs more ground in this grade ...

Have a look at the way Lloyd normally "punches" a horse out when he is going for home or the horse needs to get going.

He does not do it at all in the 10,000.

Why the Stewards did not grill him about it is a question to be asked.

reductio ad absurdum
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 6:21pm

Have a look at the way Lloyd normally "punches" a horse out when he is going for home or the horse needs to get going.

He does not do it at all in the 10,000.

Why the Stewards did not grill him about it is a question to be asked.

He definitely does not ride this horse out the to line, he seemed to have trouble getting around one and gave up on the race, very soft last 100 but I'm not sure how much was there.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 1:15pm
Watch the way he uses his bum when riding out the winner in the first just now and compare that to what we see on Care To Think.

Now why the hell didn't Stewards ask question about his riding style in that particular race.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 1:43pm
Thought he was a bit soft on him at about the furlong but as he had no hope of running 1-4 the bounce wasn't required. CTT does well under hands and heels from memory?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Thought he was a bit soft on him at about the furlong but as he had no hope of running 1-4 the bounce wasn't required. CTT does well under hands and heels from memory?

At no stage did he use the bum bump even when pushing him into the race. 
reductio ad absurdum
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 3:26pm
nice barrier trial, and yet he loses he ride?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 1:55pm
Matt Dunn on Sky this morning Tim Clark to ride.

http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/57/HlJwtZ.mp3
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 5:58pm
Where to for this guy ?

reductio ad absurdum
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 7:50pm
Cox Plate ... I mean Stakes.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 7:58pm
Personally I think he is a dry track horse, and so the summer series of races are the ideal target for him!

If he wanted to win a group 1 then maybe the Kingston Town in Perth is about his level.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 8:36pm
Agree Voyager, dryish track is his go. Noticed him slipping in the straight in the leadup when contrary to his usual mode he failed to finish off. Held on to my prepost bet until they confirmed a 6 or worse then cashed out. I was happy to wear it if he managed to win or place. Didn't put in late again today. Suspect he lost a bit of confidence but I'll be interested in seeing what Clark said today. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>