Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Plein Ciel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 11:09am
He has been given another week to recover from the little knock to his joint from playing up in his box. Will be nominated for the 1400m Winter Championship heat at Flemington on the 24th
Black Prince 2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Magnolian Khan Magnolian Khan wrote:

He has been given another week to recover from the little knock to his joint from playing up in his box. Will be nominated for the 1400m Winter Championship heat at Flemington on the 24th

Back down to 1400 . Interesting
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 1:02pm
No suitable 1600 race that day.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 1:50pm

No suitable 1600 race that day.

Don't think it will be a problem for him. He's won over 1300, and won and placed over 1400m be interesting to see him down that huge Flemington straight .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:37pm
good win Petrology Saturday after running second to Plein Ciel and winning against the pattern . Had a nice on at $20 to 1 happy flipping days
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 3:26pm
I see he didn't accept, hope he is ok
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:32pm

I see he didn't accept, hope he is ok

Yes saw that , Wonder what's going on ?
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 7:46pm
Clearly has a problem, whether it be minor or rather worse.

Irrespective, and if he has the potential they give him, the paddock or a let-up would appear the obvious next step.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 9:45pm
Maybe Bushy could enlighten us considering he has a mate that owns a share in Plein Ciel . Irregardless whatever the issue is I'm pretty sure Weiry has it in hand .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 6:01pm
Has to be injured , surely, hasnt been seen in months after his last win????
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 10:41pm
Jamie Lovett from Australian blood stock confirms on radio Plein Ciel has had a set back/ injury but is on track to return late autumn/winter. Didn't elaborate what the set back was
Prince of Penzance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 8:12am
Last I heard it was a tendon?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Prince of Penzance Prince of Penzance wrote:

Where did you hear that? I missed that in the interview ,I thought he just said he had a little set back.( whatever that means) If it's a tendon it's gonna be a long hard road back In my opinion. What a real shame , he's an excitement machine! Hope Weiry can work some magic
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Black Prince 2 Black Prince 2 wrote:

Originally posted by Prince of Penzance Prince of Penzance wrote:

Where did you hear that? I missed that in the interview ,I thought he just said he had a little set back.( whatever that means) If it's a tendon it's gonna be a long hard road back In my opinion. What a real shame , he's an excitement machine! Hope Weiry can work some magic

Read something on Twitter ages ago. Could be wrong though
Germanmachine View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Germanmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 12:40am
Plein Ciel's tendon injury was self inflicted in his box on eve of 2017 Swan Hill Cup. He lacerated his tendon in multiple spots. A very nasty injury. He has had surgery which meant he was locked up in a box for months. Being a stallion he was very heavy and this was detrimental to his tendon healing so unfortunately he was gelded. He lost a lot of muscle tone being so inactive and his recovery has being slow but that had to be this way. He is back in training now and has had two jump outs where he has done well. He is slowly being build back up but will probably take a few runs to bring him to a peak fitness, maybe more than a few. So far the tendon is fine but the real test will be under race conditions to see if that patched up tendon can still stretch like a normal one. I hope so. I know certain people would like to see him get over a bit of distance but I think he has a little bit of brilliance where if trained for it, I can see him in a 1600m Black Type handicap race where he would have min weight, where if the speed was on, he could sit back smoke his pipe and steam over the top of them.
Tim Whiffler View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim Whiffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 1:55am
Shame he had to be gelded. Is such a good looking beast. Guess he was worth nothing as a stallion with his record as it stands. Hope he comes back to his best. Good luck to connections.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Germanmachine Germanmachine wrote:

Plein Ciel's tendon injury was self inflicted in his box on eve of 2017 Swan Hill Cup. He lacerated his tendon in multiple spots. A very nasty injury. He has had surgery which meant he was locked up in a box for months. Being a stallion he was very heavy and this was detrimental to his tendon healing so unfortunately he was gelded. He lost a lot of muscle tone being so inactive and his recovery has being slow but that had to be this way. He is back in training now and has had two jump outs where he has done well. He is slowly being build back up but will probably take a few runs to bring him to a peak fitness, maybe more than a few. So far the tendon is fine but the real test will be under race conditions to see if that patched up tendon can still stretch like a normal one. I hope so. I know certain people would like to see him get over a bit of distance but I think he has a little bit of brilliance where if trained for it, I can see him in a 1600m Black Type handicap race where he would have min weight, where if the speed was on, he could sit back smoke his pipe and steam over the top of them.

Gee thats terrible , I read it was just a little injury however had to be more than that like you said considering he has had over a year off. Gelded ? gee, with 5 wins and a third from 6 australian starts city class must have had serious problems to geld. Anyway would love to see him back in action. Good luck
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Germanmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 10:54pm
Plein Ciel was in an unofficial trial (trial 3) today at Coleraine. It was over only 850m.  See You Tube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqTyOW1P9AU
He was in yellow and lime checks with black cap. There is no sound. He's the one back at the tail of the field and 4 wide. He swings the second widest on the turn and comes home nicely for second. He looks like fat albert still, so will take a few runs to regain fitness. He may even go around in the Mildura Cup 1400m 1st up on Friday 27th July. He apparently pull up sound after his gallop today. 

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 11:02pm
Germanmachine thank you!! Looked like a damn nice trial to me .
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germanmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 11:11pm
Wish I knew if any horse of note was also in that trial for a comparison.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 11:29am

True it would be nice to know who's he's running against , but you would think he'd be trialling against horses of similar ability and class , surely ? Weiry wouldn't put him in against a maiden or 55 rater would he ? Or would he do that to boost the horses confidence after an injury and extended lay off ? I don't know
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Black Prince 2 Black Prince 2 wrote:

True it would be nice to know who's he's running against , but you would think he'd be trialling against horses of similar ability and class , surely ? Weiry wouldn't put him in against a maiden or 55 rater would he ? Or would he do that to boost the horses confidence after an injury and extended lay off ? I don't know

Most of the horses trialling gat day were from Weir’s Warrnambool stable, they are generally the better quality gallopers. Maidens and BM horses are normally housed at Ballarat
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 4:00pm
Thanks prince 👍🏼
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germanmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 7:15pm
Looks likely Plein Ciel will line up at Mildura this Friday. 
I saw a picture of him working yesterday. Widest part of him is still his gut. So will benefit greatly from 1 or 2 runs this time in, as long as his tendon holds up. So far so good though. Just good to see him back.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 4:47pm
Nominated for Mildura and an emergency at Caulfield . On his best form he smokes these , however like you said long time off after a serious injury . Hope he gets round safe and well and even better if he wins but I don't think I'll have muck in him , maybe something the place .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prince of Penzance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 6:40pm
pretty sure he was on the float to Mildura today
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germanmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 12:01am
At the weights Ashlor is close to a good thing.

He won a Caulfield benchmark 84 with 63kg then close behind in a Group 3 with 58.5. Has race fitness.

Plein Ciel wins a Caulfield benchmark 84 with 55kg before an Open Hcp with 52.5kg. Is 80% fit for this.

Only 0.5kg between them at the weights here.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 12:40pm
Listening to Darren Weir this morning they have a huge opinion of this horse . He also said that the injury was more so the sheath than the tendon so that's interesting . They had some big plans for him before he got injuried. He said he's a class horse, has had plenty of work put into him but will need some race fitness . He actual tipped the stable mate Mr Individual in the cup gee that's interesting . Looking at form the top 3 definitely are the class's horses with a lottery the rest . Happy to sit and watch this go round , glad to see Plein Ciel back though
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germanmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 1:31pm
Can understand Darren preferring Mr Individual for this. I'd would say not for their next meet.

Early diagnosis of the injury was 'just knocked himself - carry on with his work'. Swelling persisted even though the vet said to continue a couple of times. 

He was then seen by a different vet. His findings below.

"The examination inside the sheath revealed a longitudinal split in the superficial flexor tendon above the knee. The split was approximately 5cm long with a second smaller split on the medial side of the tendon. Both splits in the tendon were debrided to remove loose tendon fibres and increase the chances of healing. Several small adhesions between the fibres and the wall of the sheath were also resected. At the completion of the surgery a release incision was made in the wall of the carpal canal at the level of the accessory carpal bone to increase the size of the canal to try and reduce the opportunity for chronic inflammation as the tendon is more swollen than a normal tendon".

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 1:35pm
Wow German , thanks . Good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>