Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

James McDonald

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: James McDonald
    Posted: 12 Dec 2023 at 12:51pm

‘I could definitely see myself here': J-Mac's grand Hong Kong plan

t won't be in the immediate future, but superstar jockey James McDonald can "definitely" see himself making the move to Hong Kong later in his glittering career.

The 31-year-old, who has made plenty of hit-and-run missions to the racing mecca and just recorded a second straight Hong Kong Cup victory with Romantic Warrior, is in the middle of a six-week stint at Sha Tin and is relishing life in the high-intensity city.

While he still has plenty of goals to achieve in Australia – and he will return to Sydney when his current contract expires on January 1 – McDonald expects he will give Hong Kong a bigger commitment down the track.

"I really enjoy it here. It's a great place to ride and compete," he said.

"I'm staying here six weeks, it's just nice, a bit of a change and I'll definitely be going back home, but I could definitely see myself here eventually."

• J-Mac pilots Romantic Warrior to unprecedented Cox Plate-Hong Kong double

Romantic Warrior and J-Mac hold on to win the Hong Kong Cup! #HKRacingpic.twitter.com/EUd3ReUMQZ

— SKY Racing (@SkyRacingAU) December 10, 2023

While the enormous prizemoney on offer and a 15 per cent tax rate are obviously big incentives to make the move, the lifestyle is also a major attraction, with races only on two days a week.

"The workload is a little bit less. I'm actually living on course and I find it fantastic," McDonald said.

"I enjoy walking down stairs, five minutes to trackwork. It's all set out in a routine, which I like.

"If there's a half-an-hour break I shoot home, see (daughter) Evie and then have a coffee and shoot back down. That I've really enjoyed.

"You're very structured – Sha Tin on a Sunday and Happy Valley on a Wednesday – you know what's going to happen."

• J-Mac falls foul of whip rules in Northerly Stakes second on Zaaki

“This is his best win by a mile.”

Hear from J-Mac following Romantic Warrior's Hong Kong Cup win ???? pic.twitter.com/a7CrYXVq8U

— Racing.com (@Racing) December 10, 2023

There is a big spotlight on racing in Hong Kong – it's the most scrutinised jurisdiction in the world – but that pressure to perform is something McDonald embraces.

"I enjoy that pressure," he said.

"As an athlete, as a competitor, you like eyeballs on you. It's an ego-driven sort of thing, you want to perform."

After seven Group 1 wins in the spring and with seven Sydney premierships under his belt, McDonald is enjoying the freedom to pick and choose how he divides his time.

"Now I'm getting a little bit older, I can structure the carnivals how I like," he said.

"I stayed in Melbourne for five weeks, now I'm here for six weeks – I want to do particularly well here and then back to Sydney for the autumn, which is a great carnival."

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 7:00pm
Never good news going to a Doctor. 
reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 6:25pm
Managed to ride on Sat but further scans have revealed some damage. Will be out for at least a month. 
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2023 at 5:30pm
Injured rider update: James McDonald was dislodged when his mount (Razors) blundered out of the gates in Race 4 at Wyong today. James has pain to his leg and shoulder and will be transported to hospital for further examination
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 9:09pm
Yeah he looks like the George Moore record is well within his sights horlicks, that is if he does not spend a few years overseas and with the prizemoney here in NSW why would you. 
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 7:57pm
The win on Fangirl was his 80th group 1
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 12:28pm
Officially the best jockey in the World
Time is a flat circle
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 4:53am
He has been in outstanding form for a few years. Just riding very well. Good to see. Hopefully he can have more success overseas. 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 4:46am
Best jockey from this part of the world since George Moore. 
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 8:11pm
SPRING CARNIVAL

McDonald talks spring stars as big guns return

Author
Mitch Cohen

James McDonald looks set to boast an incredible spring hand with the likes Nature Strip, Verry Elleegant and Funstar on his radar but he was just as keen to see a promising filly at Tuesday's Rosehill barrier trials.

It will be a who's who of spring contenders across tomorrow morning in Sydney's west with leading trainer Chris Waller set to saddle up a number of his stable's best horses.

Among them are The Everest favourite Nature Strip, three-time Group I winner Verry Elleegant and Epsom Handicap top elect Funstar - all of which McDonald has been the regular rider.

A 900m Group & Listed Trial will be the first time McDonald has jumped aboard Nature Strip since their dominant TJ Smith Stakes win in the autumn while he pilots Verry Elleegant in the same 1000m heat as Funstar.

But with rides in all bar one of the heats on the morning, there was plenty more for McDonald to be excited in his first full week back in the saddle.

"Obviously the likes of Nature Strip, Verry Elleegant and Funstar are high on the list but one that I am really looking forward to returning his Hungry Heart," McDonald told Racenet on Monday.

"She is pretty special I think. Hopefully she has furnished as we thought she might between that little break between her two and three-year-old season.

"She had the big frame and what she was doing at two was just a bonus really.

"I do get most excited about the two-year-olds coming through. I like to see what is up and about early."

Group II winner Hungry Heart, who finished fifth in the Golden Slipper, features in a 900m heat and McDonald is also engaged to ride Golden Rose contender North Pacific and the improving Blaze A Trail.

Waller has previously indicated that Hungry Heart will follow the Princess series path to the Flight Stakes.

Nature Strip is obviously bound for $15 million The Everest as one of two horses already booked in a slot while Funstar, who is eligible for the Golden Eagle, and Verry Elleegant have options in both NSW and Victoria.

However, the coronavirus pandemic looks set to shape the spring schedule for many horses, trainers and jockeys who would usually target races on both sides of the border.

Over the weekend Victoria has moved to unprecedented Stage 4 restrictions in an attempt to counter the states COVID-19 crisis, putting racing in the state under a cloud of uncertainty.

It makes travel south for jockeys highly unlikely this spring while horses which travel south from NSW to Victoria must stay there for the remainder of their preparation under Racing NSW protocols.

"It's a bit of shame with what has happened with the second wave because we had quite high hopes of being able to get down there for the spring if this second wave didn't come around," McDonald said.

"Hopefully for everyone it can improve and it will work itself out but in saying that we just have to deal with the circumstances in place. It is, what it is.

"Anything can happen (rides wise) over the coming months but the likes of your Hungry Heart, Funstar, Nature Strip and Verry Elleegant help give me a wide range of horses heading into the spring.

"Verry Elleegant will come into her own when she hits the staying races, Funstar is a miler and Nature Strip is a sprinter. The three-year-old filly (Hungry Heart) will go through those three-year-old races.

"I have got every base sort of covered but in saying that, things can happen. 

"I am looking forward to those to name a few."

McDonald rode a winner on his first day back in the saddle on Saturday at Randwick aboard Bjorn Baker's Kiss The Bridge to kickstart his premiership defence.

reductio ad absurdum
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 7:22pm
Even Bradman made ducks, he can't ride at his best every race. I was on the mare but I can take that, as they say thats racing.
MJB View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 6:09pm
I didn't mind the ride on Shillelagh. The horse was a query at the trip and l think he was mindful of that so he's rode cute and tried to slice through them. Unfortunately he didn't get the luck and l think you'll find he got put out of play as a result of Latrobe laying in.

It wasn't pretty but that's racing.

He did have a bad day overall though.
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:04pm
Yeah wasn't impressed with that on Shillelagh. Tried to repeat last weeks miracle run.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 12:43pm
James last 10 rides starting @ $5.00 or under results in 0 wins. Pretty ordinary effort imho
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 2:39am
J mac is on a strong chance in the next ...   6. Aquatorial , from the tipping team.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 2:24am
I just layed J Macs ride R2 Elector at $14 .

I could have sold out at $18 but sat it.
He frightened me some when he moved up to challenge approaching the 300 but then went backwards . He gave it every chance .    
   I'm too greedy to be any good at trading.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:27pm
reductio ad absurdum
ThreeBears View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeBears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 11:53am
Interesting ride for Stoute and the owner of Frankel on day one at Ascot. Last race ( Wolferton Stakes ) MIRAGE DANCER.

6/1 Favourite
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 2:20pm
Allegedly....
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 1:36pm
Greg Ryan and Cahill have hooked 20 between them in country nsw alone.
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 1:14pm
Quite a few jockeys have received far less for hooking one, some have got nothing for failing to give their mounts the best possible chance of winning (or gross incompetence if you prefer). It will be interesting to see what Billy Egan gets for the Zizzis ride, taking into account his youth and the (possible/probable) effects of riding instructions. Although imo considerably enhanced by his position and high earnings from the sport, Jmac's transgression is well down the scale. 
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 1:55am
Originally posted by mc41 mc41 wrote:

Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

He gets 18 months and turd in Qld gets 6 for doping   Hmmmmmm. I know what corner the majority are in

Who got 6 months?

L Burchley

Birchley got 12 months.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

He gets 18 months and turd in Qld gets 6 for doping   Hmmmmmm. I know what corner the majority are in

Who got 6 months?

L Burchley
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 2:48am

Who got 6 months?
to the victor
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:51am
It should be compulsory for jockeys to back their own mounts.

In fact, stop GIVING Them money just for getting on, make that their ONLY income, and see how much they all improve!!!
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:18am
He has done his time.    Lets hope he has learned his lesson.    Good luck to him.  There are lots in the game doing much worse than he did.
animals before people.
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:02am
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

I've dropped a few of those after bad rides (and bad bets) PT LOL

And none of them them ever controlled PT.

Edited by Dizzy - 16 May 2018 at 8:51pm
Stainvita View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stainvita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Sneck Sneck wrote:

Originally posted by MJB MJB wrote:

Most of them bet Shawy, only the dummies get caught.

I would have thought McDonald would be one of the smarter ones but obviously not.
I heard a rider who regularly rides for Godolphin in Sydney tipped the authorities off.

Correct & he was put on his arse by McDonald  for putting him in.
If your hands aren't shaking you haven't put enough on.
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

I don't mind that he's back riding, he did his time. 

I do mind that it was built up and celebrated all week like he was returning from an injury or something.
You make a fair point.
Even if we put ethics aside racing really has no idea about PR.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>