Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Trump Presidency

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 1094>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Trump will not see out his first term, will be impeached or resign.

His dirty past, in a business sense, lies, unsavoury connections will bring him down.  Even The Teflon Man will not be able to withstand the s'storm about to rain down on him

How will that happen ?

reductio ad absurdum
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 12:05pm

FBI chief given dossier by John McCain alleging secret Trump-Russia contacts

Russian intelligence alleged to have compromising material on Trump

Unverified reports were drawn up by western ex-counter-intelligence official

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/10/fbi-chief-given-dossier-by-john-mccain-alleging-secret-trump-russia-contacts?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Hootsuite

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 12:43pm
Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  23m

FAKE NEWS - A TOTAL POLITICAL WITCH HUNT!

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 12:49pm
Great stuff PT, it will be fun watching his demise
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 1:09pm
And get to see Hillarys emails.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 1:12pm
Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  12m

'BuzzFeed Runs Unverifiable Trump-Russia Claims' #FakeNews

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 1:18pm

Great stuff PT, it will be fun watching his demise

He is paying attention it seems. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 1:30pm
Interesting Twitter feed

stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 3:26pm
Maybe I've read too many John le Carre books, but I can't help being a tad skeptical about all these public "leaks" of secret service info, especially in the age of social media. If anything is put out to the public, it's most likely to conceal or mislead, IMO. (Though then again, in those books the US intelligence service is usually portrayed as a bunch of blundering, egocentric pawns looking to one-up the next guy who shagged his wife or killed his best friend etc. )
Rattlesnake View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 4:19pm
Meanwhile, back on main street;

Small-business optimism soars after Trump election

Optimism on Main Street continues to soar in the wake of the election of Donald Trump. The National Federation of Independent Business' read on small-business sentiment for December hit its highest level since 2004, thanks to a sunnier outlook for business conditions.

Main Street is certainly gearing up for what is perceived to be an era of deregulation and more business-friendly policies under a Trump administration. The biggest issues for small companies in this month's index were taxes, followed by government regulations and red tape, so the belief that these issues may be lessened is sending a hopeful message.

"There's a shift in emphasis in terms of what small businesses have faced over the last eight years in terms of taxes and regulations, with Republicans holding control of the House and Senate, and Trump winning," said Raymond Keating, chief economist for the nonpartisan Small Business and Entrepreneurship Council. "Small businesses are zeroed in on tax and regulatory reform."

Separate data from Staples last week underscored the positive post-election feeling among small employers, with 85 percent saying they are optimistic about the climate in the new year, 67 percent planning to hire and 72 percent planning on increasing staff wages in 2017.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/10/small-business-optimism-soars-after-trump-election.html

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 4:23pm
The above article certainly paints a different picture to what the Twitterati is pushing with it's doom and gloom.

Main Street v Twittersphere. Place your bets.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Originally posted by Rattlesnake Rattlesnake wrote:

Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Originally posted by Rattlesnake Rattlesnake wrote:

Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

May be just my sick sense of humour but I do find it quite hilarious that the right is getting all giddy about corporate welfare propping up uncompetitive industry. 

It becomes more complicated when trade partners use domestic policies to generate favorable outcomes for themselves.

I'd assume in the USA it's getting harder to explain domestic job losses on the basis of freer trade when a trade partner like the Chinese still hasn't floated it's currency and manipulates it at will.

Not really. Sure there are issues at play but none of them change the fact that the auto industry in the US is uncompetitive and propping up an uncompetitive industry is poor policy. Do you really think this is a long term solution to save these jobs? The production of cars is becoming more and more automated and there will come a point in the near future when these jobs won't be needed anyway. The money wasted on corporate welfare would be better spent reskilling these people so they can find long term work elsewhere.

That's actually all beside the point which evidently went over your head. Like I said, it's hilarious that the right are getting all giddy with excitement that these things have happened. Don't worry though, it's also hilarious that the left bemoans them.

I disagree, and my point was covering 'uncompetitive' industries as a whole, not just the auto industry.

If an industry is uncompetitive partly because, for example, the Chinese decide to devalue the Yuan, it becomes harder to justify your country not responding.

I think I got your point, the right usually supports free markets and no Government intervention. My point is that those issues are intersecting with other issues that are strong with the right as well.

Your example is ridiculous.
I told you previously to look at a chart.
Their currency has appreciated by 15% in the past 2 years.
This is opposite to the misinformation that you are regurgitating without understanding it.

Could you please tell me what you think the chart below is showing, and what effect you believe this currency movement might have on US/China trade?

60 Day Chart
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 9:39pm

Meryl Streep's rant on Donald Trump was hateful and ignorant

Mark Davis 
Published: January 11, 2017 - 11:28AM

In view of what follows, I should say that I disagree with Donald Trump about Meryl Streep being "overrated." From the Holocaust TV miniseries in 1978, through her 19 Oscar nominations and three wins, she has become, on film, a national treasure.

At Sunday night's Golden Globes microphone, not so much.

I could not care less about her politics or the views of all of the actors and musicians whose work I consume. But if they take a particular pleasure in spewing derisive venom at every American who shares my views, then, as the saying goes, silence is complicity.

Wait, you may say, her remarks were reserved only for Donald Trump. No sale. In a tirade as filled with malice and slander as her Globes speech, the message is clear: no decent human being could have voted for a monster such as she described.

But what she described was a work of fiction as craftily concocted as Ricki and the Flash or The Devil Wears Prada. Except in her case, the devil wears Brioni suits and red ties.

Let's review. After describing an impressive cross-section of actors of a variety of races and national origins, she cobbled together this gem: "If we kick them all out, you'll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts!"

Last time I checked, Donald Trump was not planning to deport any of the bejewelled millionaires in the crowd. This colossal straw man is as telling as the clumsy attack on two forms of entertainment that are currently a far bigger deal than she is.

This ham-handed outburst, a textbook example of why Hollywood is so widely reviled, showed how low the pop-culture left will go to demonise Americans who oppose their views.

In her characterisation of Trump as mocking a disabled reporter, she is merely presumptuous. Evidence abounds of the president-elect using the same gestures to refer to many people flustered in a variety of settings from Ted Cruz to Donna Brazile to himself.

But in describing that misunderstood moment as making "its intended audience laugh and show their teeth," which "sank a hook in my heart," she makes clear the object of her derision. It is you, if you were a Trump voter. It is me. It is 63 million people.

So how are we to react to such rank political bigotry, this obvious characterisation of our next president – and his voters – as racists, xenophobes and bullies?

We can cancel our plans to catch Florence Foster Jenkins, I suppose. Maybe it sparks the urge to tell all the actors to just shut up and make movies.

You'll never hear that from me. I want all of Hollywood to show us exactly who they are, what they think and whom they despise. First of all, it is their right. But it is also of great benefit. Clarity is always useful, no matter what we learn.

And there is much to learn from this latest in a long series of insults from the preening ranks of Hollywood privilege. On one level, perhaps it is worthy to note that a woman (and an entire room) that applauded child rapist Roman Polanski for a 2003 directorial Oscar does not have much of a foundation for lecturing other people about much of anything.

But a larger truth is that there is nothing about making movies or music or playing a sport or any other platform of fame that makes anyone's opinions any more worthy. Or any less. So from actresses to plumbers to doctors to burger flippers to columnists, let everyone speak freely, and be judged by what they actually say.

And no matter from whom it may have come, that Sunday night rant was a wave of hateful condescension that added to the spectacle of sore losers incapable of coping with a White House that will no longer be an echo chamber for their views.

Dallas Morning News.

reductio ad absurdum
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 9:46pm
Dallas Morning News. Say no more. Redneck central.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 9:49pm
That's a bit rude and prejudiced against people and stuff isn't it?
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 9:55pm
... elitist you mean stayer?LOL
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 9:56pm
Having spent quite a bit of time there, fairly accurate of many citizens there. Love me some guns and white folk and bbq's (their bbq's are outstanding!!Big smile)
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 9:59pm
Yes, actors and sportspeople and musicians etc , just shut up. The classic line from the right, incapable of dealing with multi-dimensional humans.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Yes, actors and sportspeople and musicians etc , just shut up. The classic line from the right, incapable of dealing with multi-dimensional humans.

Yes, I would have thought actors were entitled to express their political opinions as much as anyone. Apparently not. Confused
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 10:02pm
Ouch! ... and Whale aside, they sure are undemocratic, nasty, hateful, abusive, vindictive people when they don't get their own way!!!Angry

L.L. Bean is facing a boycott after its founder's granddaughter donated to a pro-Trump PAC

L.L. Bean has said that it likes to stay out of politics. But Linda Bean, granddaughter of the company's founder, Leon Leonwood Bean, is clearly an exception.

The 75-year-old frequent contributor to conservative causes made a $60,000 donation to a Trump-supporting PAC called Making America Great Again LLC, according to the AP.

The incident has brought on scrutiny of L.L. Bean, which is famous for its weatherproof shoes and outdoor gear. The brand is now facing a boycott by the "Grab Your Wallet" group, which has focused on avoiding products made by companies that support Trump, or by companies with owners who have publicly supported Trump.

L.L. Bean responded to the boycott in a Facebook post statement written by its executive chairman, Shawn Gorman, who notes that Linda Bean is only one of more than 50 family members involved in the company.

http://www.aol.com/article/finance/2017/01/10/l-l-bean-is-facing-a-boycott-after-its-founders-granddaughter/21651969/
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 10:10pm
It takes a very talented "actor" to be a politician.

The successful ones have so much in common - they do not generally function well in the real world, they are overpaid, pampered and conceited, only concerned about their image, and are very good at convincing people that they are something that they are not - exceptionally talented at deception and lying in fact.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Ouch! ... and Whale aside, they sure are undemocratic, nasty, hateful, abusive, vindictive people when they don't get their own way!!!Angry

L.L. Bean is facing a boycott after its founder's granddaughter donated to a pro-Trump PAC

L.L. Bean has said that it likes to stay out of politics. But Linda Bean, granddaughter of the company's founder, Leon Leonwood Bean, is clearly an exception.

The 75-year-old frequent contributor to conservative causes made a $60,000 donation to a Trump-supporting PAC called Making America Great Again LLC, according to the AP.

The incident has brought on scrutiny of L.L. Bean, which is famous for its weatherproof shoes and outdoor gear. The brand is now facing a boycott by the "Grab Your Wallet" group, which has focused on avoiding products made by companies that support Trump, or by companies with owners who have publicly supported Trump.

L.L. Bean responded to the boycott in a Facebook post statement written by its executive chairman, Shawn Gorman, who notes that Linda Bean is only one of more than 50 family members involved in the company.

http://www.aol.com/article/finance/2017/01/10/l-l-bean-is-facing-a-boycott-after-its-founders-granddaughter/21651969/

Actually, That is democracy at work.

reductio ad absurdum
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 10:31pm
hey sure are undemocratic, nasty, hateful, abusive, vindictive people when they don't get their own way!!

Mr Donald Trump on the other hand takes the slightest setback or defeat so well Unhappy

He deserves everything he is copping and more
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 10:44pm
Have all those Yanks who shouted loud and long that they were leaving America if Trump got elected , left yet ???  
animals before people.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 11:02pm

hey sure are undemocratic, nasty, hateful, abusive, vindictive people when they don't get their own way!!

Mr Donald Trump on the other hand takes the slightest setback or defeat so well Unhappy

He deserves everything he is copping and more

... and there you have it ... HE WON THE ELECTION WHALE, fiddlesticks ... WHERE WERE YOU! ... the accepted convention in a democracy, especially the US, is that once the battle is over, everyone supports the Commander In Chief!

... but not these unpatriotic spineless bastards, they are still in denial, and picking fights in the street ... speaks volumes of your character that you just blindly support this kind of anarchy ... UNDEMOCRATIC, NASTY, HATEFUL, ABUSIVE and VINDICTIVE. 
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Have all those Yanks who shouted loud and long that they were leaving America if Trump got elected , left yet ???  

most of them were Canadians anyway (actors).
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 11:04pm
Dr clearly doesn't understand democracy......LOL....everyone supports the commander......LOL
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 11:05pm
do you want that kind of democracy djebel? ... seems like anarchy when organised groups start attacking individuals based on their beliefs ... actually sound more like the Middle East ...
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 11:07pm
In a civilised democracy, the citizens accept the rule of the majority, if they are true patriots.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 11:07pm
... if not, they are simply whinging bitches. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 1094>