Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2017 Melbourne Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 242526
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:03am
Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

thats true, and i can see the argument of if he wants to tip millions in to racing, he deserves success as much as anyone.

if trends continue..and it becomes a slot race for a few racing empires...they might have to look at limiting horses from one stable or syndicate.

I'm not sure about limiting numbers for owners as I'd prefer to see the best field. However, to me id think there would be a little less satisfaction as an owner winning the race when you have half the field compared to if you only have one runner. It might be just me but getting a positive outcome simply through weight of numbers would lessen an achievement for me.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:08am
The qualification rules may require changing, to limit horses that are hopelessly out of form, but might have done something a couple of years ago that gives them a guaranteed run.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:10am
Conversely it would or is an amazing achievement to get so many in.

I can not get my head around the fact not one Classic horse from last season did not make the race.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:14am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Conversely it would or is an amazing achievement to get so many in.

I can not get my head around the fact not one Classic horse from last season did not make the race.

None did, you mean ?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:16am
Ouch Yes Smile
reductio ad absurdum
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:25am
Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

thats true, and i can see the argument of if he wants to tip millions in to racing, he deserves success as much as anyone.

if trends continue..and it becomes a slot race for a few racing empires...they might have to look at limiting horses from one stable or syndicate.

Agree - it has certainly become that.  

79% of runners were bred o'seas (outside AUS/NZ).

It is becoming a 3200m Everest with the prizemoney
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 12:03pm
To be fair if you take those rich owners and their overseas horses out of the race I don't know if you have much of a race. I love staying races but the best Australian horses are clearly sprinters. The local industry is enamored with short distance and quick returns. No one can say that Lloyd is bad for staying races in this country, without him it would be even worse. 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by jacko1 jacko1 wrote:

To be fair if you take those rich owners and their overseas horses out of the race I don't know if you have much of a race. I love staying races but the best Australian horses are clearly sprinters. The local industry is enamored with short distance and quick returns. No one can say that Lloyd is bad for staying races in this country, without him it would be even worse. 

A vast amount of prize money is in races beyond 1600m.

To limit horse training, ownership or breeding to 2yos and sprinters is really narrowing your opportunities.

I am not sure the local industry is as enamoured with short course racing as we are led to believe.

reductio ad absurdum
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 1:53pm
I remember posting long ago that Bart had the key . =   Get them in light.
These wealthy Syndicates have dozens of potential Cup horses on their purchase list already.      Like throwing wheat.
The C.C will be a preferred stepping stone now , No penalty will be
ideal .     Qualify in a Maiden at Ascot and Bob's your uncle.
    The total career wins, of all 3 placed horses this year was 11 .
Glorified Welter has the MC well named , But any changes would kill the golden goose.
   Soooo   What will Win the M. Cup in 2018 .. ???
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

I remember posting long ago that Bart had the key . =   Get them in light.
These wealthy Syndicates have dozens of potential Cup horses on their purchase list already.      Like throwing wheat.
The C.C will be a preferred stepping stone now , No penalty will be
ideal .     Qualify in a Maiden at Ascot and Bob's your uncle.
    The total career wins, of all 3 placed horses this year was 11 .
Glorified Welter has the MC well named , But any changes would kill the golden goose.
   Soooo   What will Win the M. Cup in 2018 .. ???

I think most Bart's Cup winners had an ideal weight, although Think Big carried 58.5kg and won...but yep you are right...the "Get 'em in light" was the key
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
deejays destiny View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 4:53pm
From A bensley

Cup winner Rekindling, US Army Ranger and Johannes Vermeer already spelling at Mt Macedon. Thomas Hobson, Wicklow Brave, Nakeeta all go home

In other Melbourne Cup news... Max Dynamite for @WillieMullinsNH is expected to join Tiberian in running @HKJC_Racing International meeting.

Marmelo is returning home to UK to spell on owners property. Trainer Hughie Morrison would love to bring back to Melbourne Cup next year.

Wall of Fire to stay here, gone for spell. TBC on who trains

Red Cardinal to join Weir
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 4:57pm
I think I'll take a permanent spell from the MC.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 5:54am
Originally posted by deejays destiny deejays destiny wrote:

From A bensley

Cup winner Rekindling, US Army Ranger and Johannes Vermeer already spelling at Mt Macedon. Thomas Hobson, Wicklow Brave, Nakeeta all go home

Ran in 2016/17 Melbourne Cup

Wicklow Brave  is set to go on this travels after maintaining his unbeaten record over fences with a relatively hard-fought success in the Cheestrings Novice Chase at Listowel.

That's his last race this side of the Atlantic for a while as we go to Far Hills, New Jersey, USA for the Grand National Hurdle Stakes in October (2019) next.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 242526