Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Travel - Holidays

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travel - Holidays
    Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 3:58pm

Just thought I'd ask the community what their favourite travel destinations and holiday spots were and why. I was reading Nocci's thread on Kangaroo Island which got me thinking.

I personally like going to Hawaii. It's got great weather, very relaxing or you can go off and do so many other things.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 4:35pm
I've seen many rave reviews on Vietnam being apparently less touristy than the Balis etc but if anyone is thinking of the latter & wants an elephant experience with happy, well cared for & loved ones this place deserves all the PR it can get: Elephant Safari Park-Taro Ubud-Bali

A friend wrote this to me on seeing my crying emoji Wink

Gay you wouldn't believe how amazing the elephants were, we went to the elephant sanctuary, all of the elephants there are rescued elephants from places that didn't look after them & abused them, they have 29 in total, 6 of them they have bred at the park, the eldest bred there being 7yo. Every elephant has its own human who looks after it every day, it cost around $150 per person but what you get to do is amazing, we spend around half an hr washing them before then sitting on them in their pool while they have fun splashing about, dunking under the water & squirting water everywhere, then they have a feed while we have breakfast & then they saddle them up & we go for a ride which is a half hr walk through beautiful jungle type walk, then we get to feed them their favourite fruits & vegetables, they are the most amazing animals ever!!!
I was the same as you until a month ago when 1 of the guys from work went to Bali & did it so he told me all about it & I was sold...
The guy who started the sanctuary is an English man who married a Balinese woman, it's amazing, such a great place, the elephants are so happy & they are slowly re-breeding the native elephant population that would have been lost!!!
Unfortunately majority of the elephants in Bali were either killed or majorly malnourished because they were destroying the farmers livelihoods so the killed them or chained them up
Now the elephants get to live in a nice environment where they are looked after & the sanctuary even buys food off all of the local farmers to feed them so it's a win win situation for the elephants.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 4:38pm
I will not be going to the Philippines any time soon, cops are out of control there.

I know a permanently suspended member used to enjoy trips to Mexico and Israel Smile
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 4:40pm
We want  to do some animal experiences in the South Africa area, you  know the safaris/game parks etc, and want to use the parks and drives that are ethical in their treatment of the animals, and the local community, so if anyone has any suggestions as to how one finds these things out, please let me know.
Sorry to hi-jack , Toll Road .

We like the South island of New Zealand.   Bliss.
animals before people.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 4:50pm
Heading off to Bali in about 4 weeks for the first time.

Did Vietnam & The Phillipines last year. Vietnam absolutely delightful, will be going back for sure. Phillipines is ok, but won't be going back in the short term. Manila is a nightmare!

Also went to Koh Samaui, an island of Thailand recently, a beautiful place and will be heading back there again next year. Have a few neighbouring countries on the radar as well - Cambodia, Laos etc.

Heading back to England and Europe (Croatia) in 2018 .....
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 4:50pm
Brunswick Heads
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 4:52pm
A mate of mine loved Cuba, did it many years ago, it is the place to go now I believe, and in this region Vietnam
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 8:36am
Sounds like many of the Asian country are [lace that should be high on the list to visit
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 8:38am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

We want  to do some animal experiences in the South Africa area, you  know the safaris/game parks etc, and want to use the parks and drives that are ethical in their treatment of the animals, and the local community, so if anyone has any suggestions as to how one finds these things out, please let me know.
Sorry to hi-jack , Toll Road .

We like the South island of New Zealand.   Bliss.
That is what the whole point of this thread is for AA to talk and chat about travel and holidays Big smile Sounds like you've got a great trip lined up there
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 9:42am
Yosemite National Park in California. Went there for the 2nd time in August for a few days hiking. Such an amazing place. Am planning to go back again in a couple of years time.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 10:58am
Thanks Toll Road.
Not sure how to go about seeking the information I want re Africa.
Any hints would help, being as you all know I am not exactly a computer whizz.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 11:11am

Thanks Toll Road.

The only advice I can give you about at trip to Sth Africa is DO NOT travel in economy class if you can avoid it! 14hrs in a sardine tin = forget it!
BlackKnight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

A mate of mine loved Cuba, did it many years ago, it is the place to go now I believe, and in this region Vietnam

Went there about eight years ago and it was great. If people want to go there I'd be going now, because in 20 years it'll be just like any other island in the Caribbean.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 2:24pm

Thanks Toll Road.

the link I sent you has plenty of info
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 2:31pm

Gabby Englebrecht

http://gabrielleracing.com

She's been several times for long stints, in fact Michell Payne accompanied her this year helping disadvantaged kids. She'd at least tell it how it is rather than quote a glossy travel brochure & seems very approachable Smile
South Africa Wink

Edited by Gay3 - 28 Oct 2016 at 2:34pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 2:46pm
Thank You Whale.
Thank You Gay Thumbs Up
animals before people.
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 4:54pm

Thanks Toll Road.
This might be worth a look at

http://www.go2africa.com/africa-tours-and-safaris

http://www.go2africa.com/africa-travel-blog/11830

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/south-africa/travel-tips-and-articles/70715

http://www.smarttravelasia.com/africa.htm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2013/03/22/south-africas-best-safari-lodges-kruger-national-park/#5d2062044362

subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Thanks Toll Road.

The only advice I can give you about at trip to Sth Africa is DO NOT travel in economy class if you can avoid it! 14hrs in a sardine tin = forget it!

Snob!!!LOL
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Gabby Englebrecht

http://gabrielleracing.com

She's been several times for long stints, in fact Michell Payne accompanied her this year helping disadvantaged kids. She'd at least tell it how it is rather than quote a glossy travel brochure & seems very approachable Smile
South Africa Wink

And she has just lost all of her good horses, so probably has some more time to help...........(sorry Gabby!!)
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 5:33pm
Couldn't hack Thailand, Bali, Fiji etc, just lolling around a pool with drink in hand.

Jeez, we already do that right here in Wangaratta close on 24/7.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Thanks Toll Road.

Snob!!!LOL

Not snobbery, just wanting to travel in comfort which I think any sensible person should want to do. I made a decision about 5 years ago that I didn't want to travel economy class anymore. I don't (long haul anyway) and anyone willing to put in the effort doesn't have to either.
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 11:10pm
I won't fly anywhere anymore, they have made economy so bad nowadays it's too painful for me to sit in those cramped conditions, I'd rather drive or sail these days...I've done enough international traveling to last me ten lifetimes anyways, happy to just travel locally in oz now, perhaps if I won the lottery and could pay for first class I'd consider going to a few places I missed earlier in life, but unless that happens count me out..

Panspermia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 11:13pm
oh and Gay I'm not allowed to ask Toll Road a simple non offensive question now..?? why was my post hidden again..? I posted two words.."such as" and you hide them..???

is that not just utterly ridiculous now..seriously..?

Panspermia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

I won't fly anywhere anymore, they have made economy so bad nowadays it's too painful for me to sit in those cramped conditions, I'd rather drive or sail these days...I've done enough international traveling to last me ten lifetimes anyways, happy to just travel locally in oz now, perhaps if I won the lottery and could pay for first class I'd consider going to a few places I missed earlier in life, but unless that happens count me out..

Like I said Fiddles, anyone willing to put on the effort can fly in those premium cabins. And I'm not talking putting in the effort to work hard and earn a lot of money. You can easily travel to the UK in business class for less than about $600.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 11:36pm
how ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 3:03am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

how ?

Frequent Flyer points. The copayment will vary depending on the airline but can be done from about $600 for the return trip.
Toll Road View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toll Road Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 1:59pm
Economy seat sizes for airlines
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 2:20pm
Not bad, the seat I am on at the moment is 16" but it depends on leg room, I am reasonably tall.  Some of the boilers on this forum may have trouble in fitting their buttocks into 16 " though LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 2:24pm
it's a terrible position to be sitting in for so long, I am usually totally uncomfortable for the entire journey if I have to sit upright, my legs and back go numb from lack of circulation..old injuries particularly back injury are awful to take with you on long haul flights in economy..
Panspermia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 2:27pm
my home studio where I do all my production/media etc I have no chair and the bench all the gear is on is quite high, too high for most arm chairs, so I have to stand to work, it's designed like this on purpose, I have a small IKEA bar stool off to the side so I can rest my legs occasionally but sitting for long periods is the new smoking imo..

Panspermia.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>